Does anyone dye their hair with henna?

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Does anyone dye their hair with henna?

Postby Always (112546669) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Hello! good morning all, hope youre having a nice day!

After watching my mom dye her hair with henna for many years, and since I am getting some gray hairs, I decided to dye it with henna today. I got a mahogany color and I'll see how it goes.

Henna is a dye prepared from a plant, is used to color the hair and It is also used for temporary body art tattoos.

Is there anyone who uses henna here, do you have some advice for before or after the dye. Would love to know :D
ImageImage
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 303
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009

Forum Posts: 15117
Forum Title: YoFiend

Re: Does anyone dye their hair with henna?

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:05 pm

Hey Always, since Covid and lockdown I have had to do my own hair and that meant dying it!!!! :haha: :haha:

I used Henna for the first time last year and haven't looked back. As I'm dying greys and I have dark brown/ blk hair I have to use the henna first and then add another plant based dye indigio to get all my hair the same dark brown colour.

It's made my hair a lot more healthy and vibrant. And I cant see myself going back to processed or chemical dyes.

I've learnt that the longer I leave the Henna to mix before I apply it, the stronger the colour comes out.

Is the mahogany the result you wanted, cos the longer you leave it on the hair, the darker it gets.

As for after care, you will find that the henna acts as a deep conditioner / protein treatment and sealant. So it takes care of the hair itself. I always use a hair oil to seal my strands after any wash, so I do the same when I use the Henna.
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Image

...................."The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. ...........................................The first to forget is the happiest.~ Unknown

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 339
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 11567
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Quarantined Mata (13429328) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:23 pm

My mom used to dye her hair with henna.

I had completely forgotten about it and I think I'm gonna try it :D
Et tu, Brute?

Snitches get stitches

Quarantined Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 4963
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Vivica (13404458) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:50 pm

I've never heard of this before but now I wanna try it! :)
♫ She's poison but tasty ♫
Vivica (13404458)
YoWorld Level: 248
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 11255

Postby Always (112546669) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:44 pm

ijOjO uK (109723058) wrote: Hey Always, since Covid and lockdown I have had to do my own hair and that meant dying it!!!! :haha: :haha:

I used Henna for the first time last year and haven't looked back. As I'm dying greys and I have dark brown/ blk hair I have to use the henna first and then add another plant based dye indigio to get all my hair the same dark brown colour.

It's made my hair a lot more healthy and vibrant. And I cant see myself going back to processed or chemical dyes.

I've learnt that the longer I leave the Henna to mix before I apply it, the stronger the colour comes out.

Is the mahogany the result you wanted, cos the longer you leave it on the hair, the darker it gets.

As for after care, you will find that the henna acts as a deep conditioner / protein treatment and sealant. So it takes care of the hair itself. I always use a hair oil to seal my strands after any wash, so I do the same when I use the Henna.

Hey ijOjO! My hair is dark brown and the mahogany turned out very good, it looks like cute red highlights under the sun. I have short hair so I used just half powder mix from the package and left it for an hour. I thought it would be super messy in the bathroom, cause my bathroom is white color, but wasnt so disaster :D Im gonna try it again for sure, and hopefully the deep conditioning treatmeant part really help my frizzy dry hair. Oh at the end I used a hair oil/balm as you do and hair feels so soft now :love:

I saw on youtube that a woman mix the henna with aloe vera, wanna try that too next time!
ImageImage
Always (112546669)

Postby Always (112546669) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Quarantined Mata (13429328) wrote:My mom used to dye her hair with henna.

My mom too! What I like is that it does not mistreat the hair like chemical dyes, and that it only paints gray hairs and gives you that highlights look :D
ImageImage
Always (112546669)

Postby Always (112546669) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:13 pm

Vivica (13404458) wrote:I've never heard of this before but now I wanna try it! :)

I liked the result very much, ill try again for sure. The lighter the hair, the more it gives color. If you have blonde hair, you can ask for advice to your hairdresser, because the change can be very drastic. People like me with dark hair, the change is very subtle and you can see that cute effect under the sunlight. I put it over all my head, but also is used to make really cool ombre,balayage stuff. Found some example pics of what it does to hair:

ImageImage
Always (112546669)

Postby Vivica (13404458) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:
Vivica (13404458) wrote:I've never heard of this before but now I wanna try it! :)

I liked the result very much, ill try again for sure. The lighter the hair, the more it gives color. If you have blonde hair, you can ask for advice to your hairdresser, because the change can be very drastic. People like me with dark hair, the change is very subtle and you can see that cute effect under the sunlight. I put it over all my head, but also is used to make really cool ombre,balayage stuff. Found some example pics of what it does to hair:

I have blonde hair and would LOVE that orange color! :haha: :haha:

That's very cool! Thanks for sharing!
♫ She's poison but tasty ♫
Vivica (13404458)
YoWorld Level: 248
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 11255

Postby ARI (163089940) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:06 pm

My mom used it a lot, but I have not tried it. Altho, I have done all sorts of crap to my hair :quiet:
ARI (163089940)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 19, 2010

Forum Posts: 4925

Postby Dia (182313813) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Never tried the one you posted. :eh:
But my best friend has her hair a Beautiful orange like this pic, just her orange is alot more vibrant.
( she gets alot of nice comments ♥ )
Not so sure i could pull the colour off :silly: but she does.
she uses Arctic Fox Dye - Sunset Orange
✫ღ✫•ℒƠѵℯ✫•ღ ♥ My Best Friend ♥ My Angels ♥ Thinking of you always ♥ Miss and Love you SM♥D♥ღ•✫ℒƠѵℯ•✫ღ✫
Bestie ♥

Dia (182313813)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 13, 2012

Forum Posts: 21850
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:....

Hey ijOjO! My hair is dark brown and the mahogany turned out very good, it looks like cute red highlights under the sun. I have short hair so I used just half powder mix from the package and left it for an hour. I thought it would be super messy in the bathroom, cause my bathroom is white color, but wasnt so disaster :D Im gonna try it again for sure, and hopefully the deep conditioning treatmeant part really help my frizzy dry hair. Oh at the end I used a hair oil/balm as you do and hair feels so soft now :love:

I saw on youtube that a woman mix the henna with aloe vera, wanna try that too next time!

Oh for sure, Aloe Vera is the ONE. I add it to my hair before the henna or if in powder form I use abit in my mixture. Definitely use it, if you can get it. Natural vera is always the best.

I feel you with the white bathroom, you have to be very careful with the splashes and on your hands too. That dye can truly stain skin :haha:

I'm so happy the colour is what you want! Use henna a couple more times and you will see how different your hair feels and looks.
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Image

...................."The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. ...........................................The first to forget is the happiest.~ Unknown

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby Quarantined Mata (13429328) » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Quarantined Mata (13429328) wrote:My mom used to dye her hair with henna.

My mom too! What I like is that it does not mistreat the hair like chemical dyes, and that it only paints gray hairs and gives you that highlights look :D

I like the idea of it not mistreating your hair.
I only have a few gray hairs and I think it's a good choice to cover them :)
Et tu, Brute?

Snitches get stitches

Quarantined Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 4963

Postby McKinley (6077295) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:43 am

I'm not even sure where to get henna, but I'd totally give it a whirl, although I'm not sure what henna would do for someone who's already a redhead...LOL!
Who's to blame for Afghanistan? Every single registered American voter since 9-11-2001. We all let this happen and, unless we have a conversation on how to not let it happen again, in a generation or so, history will repeat itself.

McKinley (6077295)
YoWorld Level: 358
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 08, 2008

Forum Posts: 7704
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Toink Toink (117686344) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:23 pm

Nah, I'm going to keep it white but with my luck my hair will remain darkly thin.
We are out of rice krispies har har.
Toink Toink (117686344)
YoWorld Level: 392
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 9497
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast
Location: Near the kitchen cause kitchen got food .. nom nom like pig

Postby Xx Peach xX (143363031) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 pm

My mom used to put Henna in her hair for health/grey hairs and my god was the smell nauseating.

Although, at the time, I wanted henna on my hands because all the kids in my school did it. I did do it, regretted it, because of the awful smell. I wanted it gone the next day. ASAP.

I also used to make fun of how red my mom's hair became. I obviously didn't like red hair back then, I don't mind it now. It's okay. I like it better than blonde. If I ever dye my hair it would most likely be bluish-black and next brown or red (but hair dye not henna, no no).

I would never dye my hair with henna or put henna on my hands (again) or feet. The smell is TOO MUCH. I also like my hair. Black hair and pale skin compliment each other. We do give off a vampire-ish look sometimes, though. :eh:
Black cats are the superior cats.
Xx Peach xX (143363031)
YoWorld Level: 280
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 31, 2009

Forum Posts: 5992
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Always (112546669) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:35 pm

I kind of like the plant/herbs smell :D the brand I used wasnt so penetrating smell, so was ok.

I tried the henna on my hands once, was beautiful, but I didnt like it stained my hands for many days, wasnt easy to get rid of it.
ImageImage
Always (112546669)

Postby Xx Peach xX (143363031) » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:I kind of like the plant/herbs smell :D the brand I used wasnt so penetrating smell, so was ok.

I tried the henna on my hands once, was beautiful, but I didnt like it stained my hands for many days, wasnt easy to get rid of it.

Lucky!!

When I told you I wanted to vomit, I'm not kidding. I had a bad habit of smelling the hand with henna on it. I hated it so much that I kept smelling it. & yes henna doesn't go away easily, I wanted it gone the next day but it wasn't gone the next day :wailing:

I also forgot to add that it wasn't like a pretty henna decoration. It was literally a big splotch in the palm of my hand.
Black cats are the superior cats.
Xx Peach xX (143363031)
YoWorld Level: 280
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 31, 2009

Forum Posts: 5992
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Always (112546669) » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Dia (182313813) wrote:

Never tried the one you posted. :eh:
But my best friend has her hair a Beautiful orange like this pic, just her orange is alot more vibrant.
( she gets alot of nice comments ♥ )
Not so sure i could pull the colour off :silly: but she does.
she uses Arctic Fox Dye - Sunset Orange

Oh I googled it, thats a cute intense color! Didnt know bout that brand, their palette have amazing color options, loved the Frosé and the Electric Paradise (both pink shades) :love: seems fun to mix and match!
ImageImage
Always (112546669)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:25 pm

So today is my henna dye day and I was thinking about this thread. I've already done the henna part about 4hrs ago and now sitting with the indigo for maybe the next hour and will wash that out.
If I see ONE grey strand I will scream blue murder :haha: :shocked: :shocked: :silly:

The one thing about henna is that its not a quick dye system :haha: :sleeping:
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Image

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Return to General Discussions