Facebook cracking down on Fake accounts

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: Facebook cracking down on Fake accounts

Postby ChloePumpkin (176209997) » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:
Sam Holmes (139381965) wrote:
Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:
Rod (126579776) wrote:
Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:It's about time :thumbsup: If I get one more widowed veteran with his name entered backwards :dizzy: ...

*giggle*

:haha:

They're all so rugged though :drool: :haha:

I don't get many friend requests anymore and certainly not from rugged men :haha: , but what does the name being backwards mean?

I don't know really? A lot of them arrive, for example, Smith John or Jones Robert (Bob). Got another while I slept. I'm averaging about 4 a week? I hate they're adding friend request confirms to the notification tab. I've almost accidentally hit the button a couple of times :dizzy:
Chloe Pumpkin (176209997) wrote:
Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:It's about time :thumbsup: If I get one more widowed veteran with his name entered backwards :dizzy: ...

I just got one who said he was an American soldier living in Dallas but FROM Afghanistan. I think maybe he got it backwards. His profile also wasn't even in English. Gee, is it possible he lied? :shocked:

It is so annoyingly blatant they're fake :grr Tons of mine say Dallas, Tx too. I mark them as Spam . :D

Me, too! If someone annoys me, I like to annoy them back! :haha:

ChloePumpkin (176209997)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 27, 2011

Forum Posts: 2364
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Sputnik (187030201) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:13 am

Between May and June Facebook deleted 583 Million accounts while Twitter deleted 70 Million since Wednesday. These numbers are outrageous many were bot accounts programmed to spread chaos, attack celebrities, promote political agenda and so on, the Web is better without them.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Sputnik (187030201)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2016

Forum Posts: 6565
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Miss TiFied (8432514) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 am

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:Between May and June Facebook deleted 583 Million accounts while Twitter deleted 70 Million since Wednesday. These numbers are outrageous many were bot accounts programmed to spread chaos, attack celebrities, promote political agenda and so on, the Web is better without them.

Post of the week :trophy:

I won't ask why, if it's so easy to verify as fake and delete these accounts, they existed in the first place o_o
Image Image

:star: 100% goad-free siggy :star:

Miss TiFied (8432514)
YoWorld Level: 327
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 5426

Postby Sam Holmes (139381965) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:Slightly unrelated but to show you that this works and a lot of Social Media websites are under pressure to terminate fake accounts:
Twitter unleashed their bot to close fake accounts on its platform here's the first batch result.

Twitter CEO Dorsey lost 200k followers (-5%), here are some notable others:
@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)
@narendramodi lost 3m (-7%)
@BarackObama lost 3m (-3%)
@KimKardashian lost 3m (-5%)
@PaulKagame lost 600k (-33%)
@kathyireland lost 1m (-76%)

I lost 4,000 followers but that's a good thing because I don't have bot accounts following me, I get 700 new followers a day so these things are bound to happen when you're on a social media for a long time.

Of course, there are rates at which the bot works under so imagine if they increase the requirements for the account to be considered a legit one, the numbers would double or triple.

Are you someone famous Nick? :eh: :shocked:

Sam Holmes (139381965)
YoWorld Level: 336
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 18019
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Erwyle (187240896) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Miss TiFied (8432514) wrote:
Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:Between May and June Facebook deleted 583 Million accounts while Twitter deleted 70 Million since Wednesday. These numbers are outrageous many were bot accounts programmed to spread chaos, attack celebrities, promote political agenda and so on, the Web is better without them.

I won't ask why, if it's so easy to verify as fake and delete these accounts, they existed in the first place o_o

Don't want to veer off into politics and get this locked, but I saw one explanation that a certain country was using the alts to create dissension in a certain population during a certain period. They targeted both sides of the matter with highly disparaging and damaging remarks designed not to promote any specific person, but to create chaos and division...
;)

Erwyle (187240896)
YoWorld Level: 286
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 05, 2016

Forum Posts: 7399

Postby Sputnik (187030201) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:Slightly unrelated but to show you that this works and a lot of Social Media websites are under pressure to terminate fake accounts:
Twitter unleashed their bot to close fake accounts on its platform here's the first batch result.

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

I lost 4,000 followers but that's a good thing because I don't have bot accounts following me, I get 700 new followers a day so these things are bound to happen when you're on a social media for a long time.

Of course, there are rates at which the bot works under so imagine if they increase the requirements for the account to be considered a legit one, the numbers would double or triple.

Hey Sam, is there a humble way to say yes? :haha:

I produce music and have a large number of teenage girls following me around on social media, (If you haven't said pfffft get over yourself) in your head yet, I have quit Instagram and more recently Snapchat because this ongoing attention left me with no privacy. You can read more about me here (If you'd like to of course)
http://www.trancers.ro/short-talk-with-nick-parker/

Never too famous for Yo World though. I still get kicked out of events for "Door hugging" :haha:
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Sputnik (187030201)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

I produce music and have a large number of teenage girls following me around on social media, (If you haven't said pfffft get over yourself) in your head yet, I have quit Instagram and more recently Snapchat because this ongoing attention left me with no privacy.

Never too famous for Yo World though. I still get kicked out of events for "Door hugging" :haha:

Hey Nick, even the sun knows you :hug:

Greetings for everyone from Oia, Santorini :haha:

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)
YoWorld Level: 393
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 08, 2015

Forum Posts: 10823
Forum Title: YoBeliever
Location: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Postby Sam Holmes (139381965) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Erwyle (187240896) wrote:

Don't want to veer off into politics and get this locked, but I saw one explanation that a certain country was using the alts to create dissension in a certain population during a certain period. They targeted both sides of the matter with highly disparaging and damaging remarks designed not to promote any specific person, but to create chaos and division...
;)

All this talk about fake accounts when it's real accounts that do the most damage on places like FB. Today alone I've read many "fake news" posts and memes on my feed in several languages from people I know aren't fake accounts.

This is a quote from a BBC Trending article on the rise of fake Trump news, but I think it fits why ALL people do it.

"People like to share information that makes them feel good, " she says.

"While they're scrolling through their information feeds at speed on small mobile phones their critical functions are not kicking in, and they're seeing information that makes them feel immediately connected with other people who think similarly to them. And without doing the usual checks that they would do, they're sharing and very quickly passing on similarly false and problematic content..."

Before sharing things I like to fact check them first, but I will admit I've missed a couple in all my years on Facebook and passed on some fake news, but nothing political thankfully. One in particular still makes me laugh. lol

Sam Holmes (139381965)

Postby Sputnik (187030201) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Stardust (186190305) wrote:

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

I produce music and have a large number of teenage girls following me around on social media, (If you haven't said pfffft get over yourself) in your head yet, I have quit Instagram and more recently Snapchat because this ongoing attention left me with no privacy.

So glad to know you arrived safe... What a picture! Have a blast.
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Sputnik (187030201)

Postby Sam Holmes (139381965) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

I produce music and have a large number of teenage girls following me around on social media, (If you haven't said pfffft get over yourself) in your head yet, I have quit Instagram and more recently Snapchat because this ongoing attention left me with no privacy. You can read more about me here (If you'd like to of course)
http://www.trancers.ro/short-talk-with-nick-parker/

That's cool... I can understand feeling stalked like that getting on your nerves. I heard that Ed Sheeran gave up his phone for some privacy. ;)

Sam Holmes (139381965)

Postby Sam Holmes (139381965) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Girl get your finger off the lens! :haha:

Have a fantastic time on your vacation! :hug:

Sam Holmes (139381965)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:40 pm

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

:D

So pretty Dusty! :love:

I want to make a jigsaw puzzle that is 40,000 pieces. When you finish it, it says "GO OUTSIDE". - Demtri Martin

Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 247
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 27331
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby nairdA (6479932) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Stardust (186190305) wrote:Greetings for everyone from Oia, Santorini :haha:

Safe travels SD :D :D :D
No response is also a response .......

In Science We Trust.
nairdA (6479932)
YoWorld Level: 491
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 19, 2008

Forum Posts: 2788
Forum Title: YoLover
Location: "I live somewhere else" Far from the BuyBull Belt .

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Girl get your finger off the lens! :haha:

Have a fantastic time on your vacation! :hug:

Lol. I did not notice that! :shocked: :haha:

Thank you, Sam! :hug:

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

:D

So pretty Dusty! :love:

It is! Thanks, Rod. :hug:

Sorry, Nick, I am hijacking your thread! :haha:

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 pm

nairdA (6479932) wrote:
Stardust (186190305) wrote:Greetings for everyone from Oia, Santorini :haha:

Safe travels SD :D :D :D

Thanks, nairdA! I added the Canadian travel pillow with you in mind :D :haha:

The postcard is to send to BVG in Canada :idea:

Okay last post for now, it is 3:17 am in Santorini.

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 pm

@Twitter lost 8m (-12%)
@aplusk lost 1m (-6%)

So glad to know you arrived safe... What a picture! Have a blast.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

:haha: :haha: :hug: :hug:

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)

Postby ChloePumpkin (176209997) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Beautiful picture, Stardust!!! Have a wonderful time! :heart:

ChloePumpkin (176209997)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 27, 2011

Forum Posts: 2364
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 am

Chloe Pumpkin (176209997) wrote:

Beautiful picture, Stardust!!! Have a wonderful time! :heart:

Thanks, Chloe, I will! :heart:

― Bertrand Russell

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Miss TiFied (8432514) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:24 am

Erwyle (187240896) wrote:

;)

Oh, I fully understand the politics behind the 'why?' I was wondering more about the 'how?' as in, 'how was it possible?'

If it's so easy to identify all those millions of accounts as fake - how was it only possible for them to be deleted AFTER they'd caused events that will have (IMO) such a catastrophic effect?
Image Image

:star: 100% goad-free siggy :star:

Miss TiFied (8432514)
YoWorld Level: 327
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 5426

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions