The YoWorld Update Episode 4: Design Contests!

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

The YoWorld Update Episode 4: Design Contests!

Postby Viking Trevor » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Hey YoFans!

Click here to listen to Episode 4!
Click here for the previous episode!

What's in This Episode?
Feature/Art Updates!
Lots of planning for the holiday season is underway! We touch on this, and go over some things that are coming down the pipeline, including some hear-it-first news on a long-awaited feature update!

Postcard Handhelds!
Congratulations to our winners of the latest Postcard Draw: Souliouscookie and XFLisa! They are both now the proud owners of an in-game Handheld Postcard item. Want to have your postcard read on the air, and have a chance to win a handheld for yourself? Send one to the address below and we'll cover your shipping costs with a bit of YoCash - don't forget to include your Player ID number!
    300-285 King St.
    London, Ontario, Canada
    N6B 3M6
Topic of the Week: Design Contests!
To help dig into your questions about design contests, we bring in one of our mucho-talented YoWorld artists Viking Shane (who some of you may know as "Chicken Fingers")! Jess, Shane, and myself outline the start-to-finish of how YOUR designs are added into YoWorld, what are some challenges we face, and collectively get hyped for the current Holidays Design Contest. If you're looking to enter, there is still a bit of time left!

This episode is a bit longer, but it is rich with information; so we hope you like all things design contest-y!

As with anything in YoWorld, we are always on the lookout for your feedback. If you have any comments, concerns, queries, conundrums, congratulations or anything else alliterative, please make sure to let us know below.

Your Assignments This Week
• Keep letting us know what you think of the new format!
• Any extra questions regarding design contests that we didn't get into enough? Just ask!
• Tell us some topics of the week to investigate for future episodes! The topic for Episode 5 will be announced soon!
• Send us your postcards!

Thanks for listening folks!

Update at 10:39am on Nov 22, 2016
Hey YoFans!

The next topic of the week for Episode 5 (to be released on December 1st) is going to be *drumroll*: Community Engagement!

Community Engagement is one of our three YoValues, and is the main reason we ask for your feedback on nearly everything we do in YoWorld. We're going to dive into what this YoValue means to players; including how we collect your feedback, why we jump into the game, and anything else community engagement-related that you may want to know!

We've got some time before it gets recorded, and we would love to hear your questions. So, have at it! :D

:thumbsup:
Viking Trevor
YoWorld Level: 274

Forum Posts: 1257
Forum Title: YoWorld Team
Location: Check out them Twitters: https://twitter.com/viking_trevor

Re: The YoWorld Update Episode 4: Design Contests!

Postby Smitten Kitten (136864592) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Congratulations to Souliouscookie and XFLisa for winning the most-covetted HH Postcard! (well..covetted by me, anyway!) ;) :D

Listening now...TY Trevor! :thumbsup:

Smitten Kitten (136864592)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 13788
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby PinkSnowDrop (115645703) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Earphones at the ready! :D
Image Image
"Que será, será....Whatever will be, will be" ♛

PinkSnowDrop (115645703)
YoWorld Level: 250
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 20, 2009

Forum Posts: 15006
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby PinkSnowDrop (115645703) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for coming to our party that was fun :haha:
Image Image

PinkSnowDrop (115645703)

Postby Elektri (175402220) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm so torn between your considering making it mandatory for player designers to draw back views. Drawing the front view for hairs and shoes already makes me want to cry, as much as I love drawing them. Yet I do see how it'd help your process be a lot quicker, and offer us designers an opportunity to get really creative. :nerd: If you do decide to make it a mandatory rule, I only ask that you lengthen the time of each contest. Two weeks is barely enough for the front view. Please and thank you. :)

I'm kind of disappointed you didn't go into "what sells." That'd have been very useful information for designers. Like... What's more popular? Long hair, short hair? Funky hair? Black dresses? Long dresses? Lace? Plaid? Or do I have to conduct my own market research? :?:

Another thing that disappoints me is, you didn't touch on stolen images. At all. What happens if someone traces over another designer's artwork? Or a copyrighted clip art image from Google? That would have been very useful information as well. o_o

Overall, it wasn't a bad podcast. I liked it, despite the few disappointments. :) It was informative, and I learnt a couple of things. :thumbsup:
Elektri (175402220)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 04, 2011

Forum Posts: 2574
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Toink Toink (117686344) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Thank you Gary much :D :haha:
We are out of rice krispies har har

Toink Toink (117686344)
YoWorld Level: 331
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 6365
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: Near the kitchen cause kitchen got food .. nom nom like pig

Postby NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Listenig now!! :heart:
NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575)
YoWorld Level: 246
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 30, 2015

Forum Posts: 7002

Postby DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for explaining how the technical factors influence the choice of finalists. I think you have a good working process for the contests now. :)
Last edited by DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275) on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 798
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for answering my question guys! I appreciate it. :heart: :heart:
NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575)

Postby NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Just finished listening to all of this. It cleared up a lot for sure. Thanks! :heart:
NoOdLeZ 2hot (186279575)

Postby melody Song (186916736) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 pm

:3 listening now
melody Song (186916736)
YoWorld Level: 112
YoWorld Start Date: May 14, 2016

Forum Posts: 342
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby fbyosallplay (4152024) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm

we should investigate types of birds and make cool types of colorful yobers .... :kiss:

so if i installed windows 10 half way does that
mean i am running on w 9.5 :)

gifts> <3
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/i ... ng-4152024
>https://youtu.be/DAFQFaVB1dg

fbyosallplay (4152024)
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 26, 2008

Forum Posts: 98
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Cam (184561840) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Sherry (175402220) wrote:I'm so torn between your considering making it mandatory for player designers to draw back views. Drawing the front view for hairs and shoes already makes me want to cry, as much as I love drawing them. Yet I do see how it'd help your process be a lot quicker, and offer us designers an opportunity to get really creative. :nerd: If you do decide to make it a mandatory rule, I only ask that you lengthen the time of each contest. Two weeks is barely enough for the front view. Please and thank you. :)

I'm kind of disappointed you didn't go into "what sells." That'd have been very useful information for designers. Like... What's more popular? Long hair, short hair? Funky hair? Black dresses? Long dresses? Lace? Plaid? Or do I have to conduct my own market research? :?:

Another thing that disappoints me is, you didn't touch on stolen images. At all. What happens if someone traces over another designer's artwork? Or a copyrighted clip art image from Google? That would have been very useful information as well. o_o

Overall, it wasn't a bad podcast. I liked it, despite the few disappointments. :) It was informative, and I learnt a couple of things. :thumbsup:

I agree 100% to this ^^^

Cam (184561840)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 04, 2013

Forum Posts: 2964

Postby KenJeyz (185864839) » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Deadly Cam (184561840) wrote:
Sherry (175402220) wrote:I'm so torn between your considering making it mandatory for player designers to draw back views. Drawing the front view for hairs and shoes already makes me want to cry, as much as I love drawing them. Yet I do see how it'd help your process be a lot quicker, and offer us designers an opportunity to get really creative. :nerd: If you do decide to make it a mandatory rule, I only ask that you lengthen the time of each contest. Two weeks is barely enough for the front view. Please and thank you. :)

I agree 100% to this ^^^

me too or 3
KenJeyz (185864839)
YoWorld Level: 240
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 11, 2014

Forum Posts: 3630
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby fbyosallplay (4152024) » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm

nice pod tnx

so if i installed windows 10 half way does that
mean i am running on w 9.5 :)

gifts> <3
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/i ... ng-4152024
>https://youtu.be/DAFQFaVB1dg

fbyosallplay (4152024)
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 26, 2008

Forum Posts: 98
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Taco (186483919) » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks listening now
I can't thank Viking Andrew enough for making this Taco handheld priceless.
but I am not a quitters so quit that
I never been a killer but I guarantee I kill tracks
Rip that, trying to make an impact in rap is that insane? I believe in 1 ✝
Taco (186483919)
YoWorld Level: 37
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 22, 2015

Forum Posts: 298
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Viking Trevor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am

Hey YoFans!

The next topic of the week for Episode 5 (to be released on December 1st) is going to be *drumroll*: Community Engagement!

Community Engagement is one of our three YoValues, and is the main reason we ask for your feedback on nearly everything we do in YoWorld. We're going to dive into what this YoValue means to players; including how we collect your feedback, why we jump into the game, and anything else community engagement-related that you may want to know!

We've got some time before it gets recorded, and we would love to hear your questions. So, have at it! :D
Viking Trevor
YoWorld Level: 274

Forum Posts: 1257
Forum Title: YoWorld Team
Location: Check out them Twitters: https://twitter.com/viking_trevor

Postby Ricky BamBam (4492518) » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:20 am

Why do you ignore suggestion threads so much? I mean per theme as well as for new themes? I rarely really acted upon them.

When are you going to start running suggestion threads way in advance so you can incorporate in a lot of what the players say and show?

Have you ever considered that there also is a mass of people that really isn't that creative and inventive, so if you ask them what they want they'll only answer with what they know from the game (or from obvious pop culture), yet this puts an enormous strain on getting any fresh ideas in?

And, when you look trough 'the data' and 'the results' of surveys and suggestions, do you consider that a lot of people actually do not come up with new ideas often for reasons of in game advantage an prestige? And why is BVG giving in to this? Why do you not go for more totally different takes on similar themes?

When will we be able to see BVG going for more innovative themes in a way that is still safe? Will they actually follow the hints of their player base? Or how selective will BVG 'listen'?
Last edited by Ricky BamBam (4492518) on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets the real bite back.
Ricky BamBam (4492518)
YoWorld Level: 286
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 03, 2008

Forum Posts: 1534
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby Elektri (175402220) » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:32 am

Why do you rarely finish the stories you've started? First the Medieval story, and now Emma and Emmett. The only story you've finished is the Mary Everlasting one. I'm kind of disappointed. :( I want to know the ends to the other two tales!
Elektri (175402220)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 04, 2011

Forum Posts: 2574

Postby PinkSnowDrop (115645703) » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 am

Do you think we'll be getting a yo bank any time soon? ;D
Image Image

PinkSnowDrop (115645703)

Next

Return to YoWorld Discussions