The YoWorld Update Episode 3: Lag!

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

The YoWorld Update Episode 3: Lag!

Postby Viking Trevor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Hey YoFans!

Click here to listen to Episode 3!
Click here for the previous episode!

What's in This Episode?
Feature/Art Updates!
Jess and I go into some detail about Mobile Companion App updates, Halloween features, the YoLotto, and a whole bunch of new things that recently made their way into YoWorld! We also take a bit of time to address your Halloween feedback, and how much it means to us moving forward.

Postcard Handhelds!
Thanks to everyone who has sent in postcards recently, we always have a blast reading them off, and adding them to our lovely wall! Next episode, we'll be completing another draw for the YoWorld Update-Exclusive Postcard Handheld HH item! If you're looking to send a postcard in before the next draw, here's YoWorld HQ's address!
    300-285 King St.
    London, Ontario, Canada
    N6B 3M6
Topic of the Week: Lag!
This week we're happy to bring you the first player-requested topic: Lag! Jess and I go into details about what is lag, what causes it, what makes it worse, and - most importantly - what you can do to help make it a bit more bearable. As promised, we've got a few links that should be able to help!
Click here to download Facebook Gameroom!
Click here to learn how to refresh your cache!
Click here to download Google Chrome!
Click here for some tips on speeding up Flash!

As with anything in YoWorld, we are always on the lookout for your feedback. If you have any comments, concerns, queries, conundrums, congratulations or anything else alliterative, please make sure to let us know below.

Your Assignments This Week
• Keep letting us know what you think of the new format; we really appreciated your thoughts so far
• Any extra questions regarding lag that we didn't quite cover in the episode? Feel free to ask!
• Tell us some topics of the week to investigate for future episodes! The topic for Episode 4 will be announced soon!
• Send us your postcards!

Thanks again for listening; we hope to see you again in a couple of weeks!

:thumbsup:
Viking Trevor
YoWorld Level: 274

Forum Posts: 1257
Forum Title: YoWorld Team
Location: Check out them Twitters: https://twitter.com/viking_trevor

Re: The YoWorld Update Episode 3: Lag!

Postby Jasper LaLaurie (130695460) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you! I really like the YoWorld update!
Jasper LaLaurie (130695460)
YoWorld Level: 268
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 6042
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Jasper LaLaurie (130695460) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Made a listening party!
Jasper LaLaurie (130695460)
YoWorld Level: 268
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 6042

Postby Smitten Kitten (136864592) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 pm

We need another updated pic of your Postcard Wall! :thumbsup: :D

Thank you for the compliment..glad you enjoyed the postcards! (pick me! pls!) ;) :D :haha:

Smitten Kitten (136864592)
YoWorld Level: 292
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 11974
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Toink Toink (117686344) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 pm

The podcast was lagging me :haha:
We are out of rice krispies har har

Toink Toink (117686344)
YoWorld Level: 319
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 5816
Location: Near the kitchen cause kitchen got food .. nom nom like pig

Postby KimmieStarDreams (14315228) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:32 pm

i listened to it :D
KimmieStarDreams (14315228)
YoWorld Level: 266
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 73757
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Riff (185643699) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:36 pm

thank you for addressing it and making it clear you do understand that it can be a struggle. i do every little thing i can, daily, to reduce lag so didnt learn a thing but hopefully some others did. one thing left out was inventory... keeping your account clean and most importantly keep your available inventory to a minimum. the more you drag stuff around with you, the worse the lag seems. oh and also the buddylist, i think its on your help tab where it says the more you have, the more you will lag. something along those lines.. let me check. yup... "We find that when players have 400+ buddies, their performance is decreased significantly."

thank you for mentioning you will try to find a better balance of animated items. i do hope so. it is a shame for those of us who have ours switched off, to miss out on everything. because some animation IS fun to see.. aswell as with being able to use interactive items, which you cant play with if you have decor animation switched off
personally, and i do know quite a few others, skip buying some pieces that we would otherwise love to own, simply because its animated. yes some of us are that stubborn :silly: and i personally try to limit my clothing animation so that i am not contributing too much to other players lag. sometimes i also do not purchase simply out of principal. many know by now how strongly i feel about animation-lag. sometimes i do get a bit grumpy :quiet: :angel:

oh and thank you so much for not speaking in lag :haha: :phew: :silly:
Lippyfoo
Riff (185643699)
YoWorld Level: 347
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 28, 2014

Forum Posts: 7197

Postby Riff (185643699) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:05 pm

OMG!!! i have just noticed, you fixed up all (well i havent checked all, but i see a handful so far) the animated items that i posted about, that still animate even if your settings are switched to Off. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :shocked: i am impressed you took the time, you didnt have to. but i am so grateful. it may mean nothing to a lot of people, but you have made my day!
every little bit counts in reducing lag. and also my yo ocd isnt going to bother me when i see (or dont see :haha: ) these items anymore

thank you thank you!!! :love: :hug: :party:
Lippyfoo
Riff (185643699)

Postby Riff (185643699) » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 am

i am confused about 1 thing. i have been told before to disable hardware acceleration. and jess mentions on the podcast, yes do this, it can help reduce lag. but when i go to the link you provided here https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... run-faster it tells us to enable hardware acceleration. so which is it? :silly:
Lippyfoo
Riff (185643699)

Postby BEAN (121485446) » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 am

riff (185643699) wrote:i am confused about 1 thing. i have been told before to disable hardware acceleration. and jess mentions on the podcast, yes do this, it can help reduce lag. but when i go to the link you provided here https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... run-faster it tells us to enable hardware acceleration. so which is it? :silly:

I have never disabled hardware acceleration, unless she means only while you play yoworld :eh: :eh: :eh: I will have to listen to this pod cast when i return from the dr.
Believe You Can And You Will!

BEAN (121485446)
YoWorld Level: 278
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 13, 2009

Forum Posts: 5104

Postby illxBenxLaY (13877950) » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:34 am

The podcast omgg , they make lag :balloon:
illxBenxLaY (13877950)
YoWorld Level: 105
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 5
Forum Title: YoNewbie

Postby JOSE ACE (131175672) » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

i never did anything and something was solved/fixed in the game
now is normal
My Apartment

zǝuᴉʇɹɐW ǝsoſ
JOSE ACE (131175672)
YoWorld Level: 276
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 26, 2009

Forum Posts: 2230
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby FoxPin01 (136249937) » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am

thanks!
There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.---Acts 20:35
FoxPin01 (136249937)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 343
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby 1XxDream GuyxX (176690071) » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:30 pm

First time poster here.
For those of us that have measured line internet the podcasts are unusable but with this said the suggestions you've given us to help with the lag is all things we have been doing for years trying to get a grip on this lag. I even tried the facebook gameroom and had to shortly delete that as it was actually lagging worse. I have not had this much lag on anything but yoworld. I have had my animations turned off for well over a year, so I'm also missing a lot of fun in this game. My computer is a new current laptop with 6 gigs memory so saying I don't have enough memory isn't going to go to far. I keep my memory resident programs to a minimum. I've deleted my 6 yr old blocked list and that has helped with lag, I've deleted most facebook accts to help with lag.. I've deleted this, I've deleted that, but i do carry a big closet of items and sadly i feel thats next to delete unlesssssss... you get faster newer servers that can handle all of this animation that we all love and pay money for.
1XxDream GuyxX (176690071)
YoWorld Level: 346
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2011

Forum Posts: 12
Forum Title: YoRookie

Postby Viking Jess » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:28 am

riff (185643699) wrote:i am confused about 1 thing. i have been told before to disable hardware acceleration. and jess mentions on the podcast, yes do this, it can help reduce lag. but when i go to the link you provided here https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... run-faster it tells us to enable hardware acceleration. so which is it? :silly:

The hardware acceleration toggle affects which part of your computer handles the 'heavy lifting' when it comes to displaying Flash applications - it's usually on by default, which means Flash will mostly be handled by your graphics card (GPU), in an effort to relieve stress on your CPU.

If you don't have a separate GPU (laptops, especially, usually have integrated graphics), though, hardware acceleration could be causing more problems than it solves. Turning it off can sometimes help - even if it's just as a troubleshooting step. If it doesn't make anything better, worst-case scenario is you just toggle it back on again :)

Viking Jess
YoWorld Level: 277

Forum Posts: 7191
Forum Title: Jess is bad at Instagram! Follow me anyway: instagram.com/viking_jess/

Postby PatminPADRINO (3374531) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks for the updates. I was looking for the FB game application mentione. Where can I find it on FB or do you a link? :nerd:

PatminPADRINO (3374531)
YoWorld Level: 260
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 10, 2008

Forum Posts: 5462

Postby Chino LatinoHMB (110321877) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the LAG Update! :bye:

Chino LatinoHMB (110321877)
YoWorld Level: 234
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 28, 2009

Forum Posts: 20
Forum Title: YoRookie

Postby DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks ! I will start troubleshooting this week. Chances are since I am not willing to upgrade from Windows 7, I will just have to live with lag and crashing. Wooooohoooo. I tried the Facebook Gameroom ap with Facebook turned off. I made it through three events without getting disconnected. One was even in a FS room with lots of decorations. :) Lag was at a minimum too. :thumbsup: I am beginning to think that maybe the FB notifications about what friends are doing might be a big part of the problem.
Last edited by DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275) on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DivCdrAmma YFD (127531275)
YoWorld Level: 272
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 763
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Riff (185643699) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Viking Jess wrote:

The hardware acceleration toggle affects which part of your computer handles the 'heavy lifting' when it comes to displaying Flash applications - it's usually on by default, which means Flash will mostly be handled by your graphics card (GPU), in an effort to relieve stress on your CPU.

If you don't have a separate GPU (laptops, especially, usually have integrated graphics), though, hardware acceleration could be causing more problems than it solves. Turning it off can sometimes help - even if it's just as a troubleshooting step. If it doesn't make anything better, worst-case scenario is you just toggle it back on again :)

thanks for the reply. i have been switching it on and off to see if i can work out which works better for me. i havent noticed a difference yet but that may be because the lag varies from day to day, even hour to hour sometimes, and depends on where i am and what im doing, etc. i am just quite fanatical at doing every little thing i can to help my lag.. so i can pass on any tips i find to non-forumers
Lippyfoo
Riff (185643699)

Postby Riff (185643699) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 pm

PatminPADRINO (3374531) wrote:Thanks for the updates. I was looking for the FB game application mentione. Where can I find it on FB or do you a link? :nerd:

when your ingame if you look to the right of your screen you should see Facebook Gameroom. click play or download. its quick and easy. or click the first link up top that trevor posted for us :bye:
Lippyfoo
Riff (185643699)

Next

Return to YoWorld Discussions