[ANNOUNCEMENT] Goodbye Flash? More Ways to Play! (UPDATED!)

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Goodbye Flash? More Ways to Play!

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:34 pm

The desktop app does not allow those of us who use chrome to download it. Will there be a fix for chrome users?

BadMoon (153955457)
YoWorld Level: 323
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 21, 2010

Forum Posts: 10878
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Ebeneeeezerrrr (126579776) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Lori (131347843) wrote:I'm confused. I thought this was a new post. I saw new comments but the post is dated June 19th. Also, I've been getting this exact screen you've shown and described when I log into Yoworld for months, now. So, not sure what is new.

The streaming access is the only change, and it has performance limits. :smug:

My guess is that the clamor for an answer is starting to resonate at BVG. Not saying anything is the same as not doing anything to most people. Too many players think the game will end when Flash support ends. BVG has failed to make a formal statement that this is not true. They need to answer this definitively -

WILL YO BE AROUND AFTER FLASH PLAYER SUNSETS?

Once they do, the chatter will end. The reason they haven't yet eludes me. If they don't know, that's just as bad as "no" for purposes of the game's continued existence. My guess is that we have a 95% chance the game will be fine. Flash Player is freeware. BVG can bake it into whatever platform they want and seal it off from the ravages of the web. The right answer is conversion to HTML5, but that is super expensive and most likely won't be happening. Fortunately this is not the ONLY answer.

:thumbsup:

He is the one who thunders through the heavens yet whispers to our hearts. - Silence & Fury
Ebeneeeezerrrr (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 36377
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Ebeneeeezerrrr (126579776) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:42 pm

BadMoon (153955457) wrote:The desktop app does not allow those of us who use chrome to download it. Will there be a fix for chrome users?

Do you mean a Chromebook or the Chrome browser?

I use Chrome's Browser and I also use the app on the same machine all the time? :thumbsup:

He is the one who thunders through the heavens yet whispers to our hearts. - Silence & Fury
Ebeneeeezerrrr (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 36377
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby YoJohn (135968828) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Lori (131347843) wrote:I'm confused. I thought this was a new post. I saw new comments but the post is dated June 19th. Also, I've been getting this exact screen you've shown and described when I log into Yoworld for months, now. So, not sure what is new.

I am pretty sure it is a new post. It was just written in advance and pushed out only now.

Why only now? That is a question I would also like to know an answer to, since – like you said – what is shown in the pictures has been appearing for us for a while already.
ImageImageImageImageImage
YoJohn (135968828)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 3808
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:

The streaming access is the only change, and it has performance limits. :smug:

My guess is that the clamor for an answer is starting to resonate at BVG. Not saying anything is the same as not doing anything to most people. Too many players think the game will end when Flash support ends. BVG has failed to make a formal statement that this is not true. They need to answer this definitively -

WILL YO BE AROUND AFTER FLASH PLAYER SUNSETS?

Once they do, the chatter will end. The reason they haven't yet eludes me. If they don't know, that's just as bad as "no" for purposes of the game's continued existence. My guess is that we have a 95% chance the game will be fine. Flash Player is freeware. BVG can bake it into whatever platform they want and seal it off from the ravages of the web. The right answer is conversion to HTML5, but that is super expensive and most likely won't be happening. Fortunately this is not the ONLY answer.

:thumbsup:

I mean, I don't know how possible this is, but I suggested a sort of gradual transfer. Where, over time, certain features and aspects of the game switch to HTML5 (or whatever engine they decide to use) as they're updated or revamped. I have read online that there are other games that do this, where certain features function using one engine, and others function using another.

I wonder if BVG could develope, for example, the new AH using HTML5 and have that run in a flash game like this one, then eventually do the same to trading when the time to update it has come, etc.

Or maybe what I am suggesting is near impossible. Lol I can see how it may cause duplicate coding strings to become another problem, or maybe not. Who knows. I heard other online games do run using multiple engines... but I don't know. I don't code. It may sound like a difficult thing to do, but it may be easier than trying to move the entire game at once.

Anthony SpaceTime (102235402)
YoWorld Level: 275
YoWorld Start Date: May 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 7732
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:
BadMoon (153955457) wrote:The desktop app does not allow those of us who use chrome to download it. Will there be a fix for chrome users?

Do you mean a Chromebook or the Chrome browser?

I use Chrome's Browser and I also use the app on the same machine all the time? :thumbsup:

I have chromebook

BadMoon (153955457)
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 21, 2010

Forum Posts: 10878

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm

How does the app work for more than one family member using the same laptop/computer? do they need to all have their separate log-in? by that i mean do me and my Daughter need a separate icon for our YW's?
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 15307
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby Mir (102794171) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Theresa (122233016) wrote:How does the app work for more than one family member using the same laptop/computer? do they need to all have their separate log-in? by that i mean do me and my Daughter need a separate icon for our YW's?

I'm not entirely sure that would work Theresa, but you could try it.

I know with Facebook Gameroom, different people can log into it
Mir (102794171)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: May 17, 2009

Forum Posts: 215
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby taffywrap (187749182) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Smitten Kitten (136864592) wrote:Thank you for the update, Sarah. And Thank you to the Team for working so hard to continue our favorite game. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:hug: :heart: :thumbsup:
taffywrap (187749182)
YoWorld Level: 64
YoWorld Start Date: May 26, 2019

Forum Posts: 620
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Idris (117024183) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Will we ever get to play YoVille WITHOUT being connected to Facebook? I keep waiting for that to happen. Please tell me if it's in the plans. If it's not I should just go ahead and make the break now.

Idris (117024183)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 1263
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 pm

CoolZ!!! Thanks for the update and brainstorming so hard over this for us! :hug: I’ve been using the desktop for months and luv it. The only barriers are when I want to gift someone from the forum using their apartment link. I can’t find a way for that with the desktop app. Which leads to my concern over what will happen with the forum someday with game links...will those have to be phased out or removed too?
ImageImage

We're all mature, until someone pulls out some bubble wrap!!!

LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506)
YoWorld Level: 374
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 08, 2010

Forum Posts: 5591
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Kat (106520804) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Theresa (122233016) wrote:How does the app work for more than one family member using the same laptop/computer? do they need to all have their separate log-in? by that i mean do me and my Daughter need a separate icon for our YW's?

No, my daughter and I just log out of one and in to the other but it's a pain because for some reason it often freezes and won't go to the new log in screen so I have to close it out and open it back up. Some kind of bug.

Kat (106520804)
YoWorld Level: 371
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 15, 2016

Forum Posts: 1355

Postby Koats (185046372) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:17 pm

PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506) wrote:CoolZ!!! Thanks for the update and brainstorming so hard over this for us! :hug: I’ve been using the desktop for months and luv it. The only barriers are when I want to gift someone from the forum using their apartment link. I can’t find a way for that with the desktop app. Which leads to my concern over what will happen with the forum someday with game links...will those have to be phased out or removed too?

:thumbsup: I was just about to ask this too
'What if Christmas, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more'

Koats (185046372)
YoWorld Level: 351
YoWorld Start Date: May 18, 2013

Forum Posts: 6272
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: ' Keep your head when all about you are losing theirs'

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Mir (102794171) wrote:

I'm not entirely sure that would work Theresa, but you could try it.

I know with Facebook Gameroom, different people can log into it

im wondering how it will work with families using the same computer if YW moves from FB. if you can't get in through Gameroom then some people will be stuffed if its app only and only one person can log on :sad:
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Kat (106520804) wrote:

No, my daughter and I just log out of one and in to the other but it's a pain because for some reason it often freezes and won't go to the new log in screen so I have to close it out and open it back up. Some kind of bug.

urgh that sounds crap :sad: ... hopefully they will fix this. so if i've got this right, you have one icon on your laptop screen for the app. when you click it you can then choose which out of yours or your daughters accounts to log into? sorry im not very tech savvy... my daughter is a whizz with this stuff but she's never used the app or gameroom yet
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)

Postby Kat (106520804) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:35 pm

Unfortunately the problem is that because BVG only allows the desktop app to be used on a 64 bit laptop or desktop and not on a 32 bit and not on tablets, it's really extremely limiting. I'm not sure what I'll do next week when I'm at my daughter's for about 10 days taking care of the grand critters and household. My laptop is only 32 bit and it doesn't work on my tablet. So this isn't really a good option. Even with the 3rd option, as Rod said if it has performance issues few will likely use that option. When puffin stops working on ipads and iphones there will likely be a lot that quit. None of the other browsers that supposedly work with flash work well at all. I've tried them all several times. I have a hard time getting the pop up to come up to allow flash and yes I have the pop up blocker off so that isn't the issue. The problem is the crud on the right hand side of the facebook window is in the way and I have NOT figured out a way to get rid of any of it so it doesn't block that pop up. The one I could get to work at all, you really can't do anything but log in and do a few things, I haven't been able to figure out how to use them to decorate. For many it's the only way to play the game, it's all they have. For me, I have health issues and so I can't sit at my desktop very long and I play most of the time using puffin on my ipad. Puffin is going away for ipads in October. Since none of the other browsers are worth a flip that means that I'll have very limited options. I can see it just getting to a point if BVG doesn't do something pretty quickly that there will be a lot leaving the game because they are out of options. I'm not going out and buying another device just to get an android tablet so that puffin will still work on it. So I hope that you figure something out asap. Once puffin goes away I'll be down to only being able to use my desktop computer to play the game. It just won't be worth it. Fix it so that the app will work on tablets and 32 bit machines and it will get you through a bit longer.

Kat (106520804)
YoWorld Level: 371
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 15, 2016

Forum Posts: 1355

Postby Lori (131347843) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks Rod, John and Anthony for your replies. I had to run out for an apptmt so just got back, here. I won't quote everyone but I see Rod said that "streaming" was the new thing out of the post. I figured the post was written earlier and the date hadn't been changed, as that has happened a few times lately, but I just couldn't see what was different than what we already had.

I feel sorry for the people who can't use the app on their chromebooks. When I was visiting family last year, I borrowed a tablet from my SO but it stopped working almost as soon as I got there, so I went and bought a new netbook. I knew that the app didn't work on chromebook so got something different and then found the app didn't work on my new netbook, either. That was a waste of money as that was the only reason I bought it. I guess it is because of the 32 bit thing which I had no clue about.

Right now, I use both the browser for Yo, as I need it to put in the hotdog links, and then use the app so I can get the coins and prizes from the calendar there. I wish I could do everything in one place, though, and I wish we didn't have to use the ctrl c & v keys to put in our username and pw on the app. Copy and paste is so much easier, or to have it save your details in a drop down menu would be even better. Theresa also mentioned that we can't go to someone's apartment link either because of no place for a URL. So, I guess (hope) that these things can be looked into and added.

Anyway, I feel fine about the future of Yo but then I am not so attached now, so if things can't all be worked out, c'est la vie. At least it doesn't sound like people are losing homes or items so that is good news.

Lori (131347843)
YoWorld Level: 345
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 3442
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Moon Maiden (144063105) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Kat (106520804) wrote:Unfortunately the problem is that because BVG only allows the desktop app to be used on a 64 bit laptop or desktop and not on a 32 bit and not on tablets, it's really extremely limiting. I'm not sure what I'll do next week when I'm at my daughter's for about 10 days taking care of the grand critters and household. My laptop is only 32 bit and it doesn't work on my tablet. So this isn't really a good option. Even with the 3rd option, as Rod said if it has performance issues few will likely use that option. When puffin stops working on ipads and iphones there will likely be a lot that quit. None of the other browsers that supposedly work with flash work well at all. I've tried them all several times. I have a hard time getting the pop up to come up to allow flash and yes I have the pop up blocker off so that isn't the issue. The problem is the crud on the right hand side of the facebook window is in the way and I have NOT figured out a way to get rid of any of it so it doesn't block that pop up. The one I could get to work at all, you really can't do anything but log in and do a few things, I haven't been able to figure out how to use them to decorate. For many it's the only way to play the game, it's all they have. For me, I have health issues and so I can't sit at my desktop very long and I play most of the time using puffin on my ipad. Puffin is going away for ipads in October. Since none of the other browsers are worth a flip that means that I'll have very limited options. I can see it just getting to a point if BVG doesn't do something pretty quickly that there will be a lot leaving the game because they are out of options. I'm not going out and buying another device just to get an android tablet so that puffin will still work on it. So I hope that you figure something out asap. Once puffin goes away I'll be down to only being able to use my desktop computer to play the game. It just won't be worth it. Fix it so that the app will work on tablets and 32 bit machines and it will get you through a bit longer.

Thats odd because the laptop I use for work is a 32 bit, and I downloaded the app with no problem

Moon Maiden (144063105)
YoWorld Level: 342
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 04, 2010

Forum Posts: 650
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Erwyle (187240896) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:08 pm

Seems like the streaming option is very good news and some clever work. I hope this can be improved where it can be just as efficient as any current method. More work is needed, but I have faith you guys will do it. Thanks!
:party:

Erwyle (187240896)
YoWorld Level: 315
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 05, 2016

Forum Posts: 12890
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Riff (185643699) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 pm

i thought this was pretty much old news. no mention on html at all, which is really what people are wanting
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply - Stephen R. Covey
Riff (185643699)
YoWorld Level: 388
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 28, 2014

Forum Posts: 12167

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions