The Covid

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: The Covid

Postby Always (112546669) » Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Meh (126579776) wrote:So I met someone this week that has placed their hope in the possibility that covid will eventually disappear. I just don't see this as realistic at all. Viruses are survivors. They mutate and spread and lie dormant. They can even find hosts to co exist with as an active virus without harming the host, using it as a super spreader. But I'm always willing to learn.

Do you guys think covid will ever disappear? :?: :?: :?:

I don't think it's going to disappear. It will become endemic and we will have to vaccinate annually, just like the flu vaccine every year. A gold mine for pharmaceutical labs, and a headache for us, we'll have to live with it for long time :sleepy:
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 301
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009

Forum Posts: 14551
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Wed May 19, 2021 10:41 pm

Meh (126579776) wrote:So I met someone this week that has placed their hope in the possibility that covid will eventually disappear. I just don't see this as realistic at all. Viruses are survivors. They mutate and spread and lie dormant. They can even find hosts to co exist with as an active virus without harming the host, using it as a super spreader. But I'm always willing to learn.

No
Remember to load your brain before you shoot your mouth off - Old Farmer's Advice
Boots on wanna see the bottom of em say somethin

TexanSourNSweet (103681266)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: May 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 12313
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Gracie (127997951) » Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm

Fazer (126579776) wrote:So I met someone this week that has placed their hope in the possibility that covid will eventually disappear. I just don't see this as realistic at all. Viruses are survivors. They mutate and spread and lie dormant. They can even find hosts to co exist with as an active virus without harming the host, using it as a super spreader. But I'm always willing to learn.

As an RN in a LTC Nursing home, I truly believe we will be dealing with some form of this COVID for many years. There could be super spreaders in the future, but it remains to be seen. As a nurse in a nursing home that has the care of 30 patients, I get tested at the minimum now, once a week. I've been negative since it started back in March. My unit had the 3rd, 4th and 5th patients get sick. They went to a COVID isolation unit in our building, all survived. I was reassigned to the COVID unit as none of the other nurses wanted to take it on. I have not been vaccinated and do not plan to, however if it is added to the seasonal flu shot this fall, I will take it then. I am actually more afraid of the influenza that the pharmaceutical doctors use each year against the flu for this winter. They are pretty much right on the spot with their predictions. I will continue to use my mask and gloves and hand cleaner to keep myself and patients safe. I am still self isolating, only go for groceries. I'm sad of the isolation, but it's worked for me and my beloved residents. It's been tough on my family, too.
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only love can.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gracie (127997951)
YoWorld Level: 341
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 1358
Forum Title: YoFollower
Location: With Dr Who in the Tardis traveling in outer space....

Postby Undecided (185859185) » Sun May 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Gracie (127997951) wrote:
Fazer (126579776) wrote:So I met someone this week that has placed their hope in the possibility that covid will eventually disappear. I just don't see this as realistic at all. Viruses are survivors. They mutate and spread and lie dormant. They can even find hosts to co exist with as an active virus without harming the host, using it as a super spreader. But I'm always willing to learn.

As an RN in a LTC Nursing home, I truly believe we will be dealing with some form of this COVID for many years. There could be super spreaders in the future, but it remains to be seen. As a nurse in a nursing home that has the care of 30 patients, I get tested at the minimum now, once a week. I've been negative since it started back in March. My unit had the 3rd, 4th and 5th patients get sick. They went to a COVID isolation unit in our building, all survived. I was reassigned to the COVID unit as none of the other nurses wanted to take it on. I have not been vaccinated and do not plan to, however if it is added to the seasonal flu shot this fall, I will take it then. I am actually more afraid of the influenza that the pharmaceutical doctors use each year against the flu for this winter. They are pretty much right on the spot with their predictions. I will continue to use my mask and gloves and hand cleaner to keep myself and patients safe. I am still self isolating, only go for groceries. I'm sad of the isolation, but it's worked for me and my beloved residents. It's been tough on my family, too.

I too work in a nursing home looking after the elderly mainly, we have been extremely lucky and only had 3 residents actually have full blown covid all but 1 survived, the one who passed had a lot of other issues and illnesses
I myself have been extremely lucky not having had the vaccine, covid or symptoms and worked through it all and am still doing so.
Different shift pattern and longer days plus trying to keep family and friends safe. Trying to juggle all this is tiring in itself sometimes.
Luckily where I am now (Manchester UK) it's slowly getting to some kind of normal life, whatever normal is but I think this too raises anxiety levels in a lot of us, I know it does me at times, mainly when on public transport, more so when there's always those who think it's ok not to wear a face mask o_o

No I don't ever think it'll totally disappear.
I personally think it'll be here for the rest of my life just hopefully not as bad as it has been this past year

Hope all of you are safe and well :hug: :heart:
This is Manchester: We do things differently here Sarcasm is a Manchester Trait
Image Image
Don't try to figure me out. It will only exhaust you, you'd lose your mind trying to understand mine

Undecided (185859185)
YoWorld Level: 309
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2014

Forum Posts: 7303
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: ♥ ~ Sarcasm: The witty will have fun & the rest won't get it ~ ♥

Postby Gracie (127997951) » Sun May 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Undecided (185859185) wrote:
Gracie (127997951) wrote:

I too work in a nursing home looking after the elderly mainly, we have been extremely lucky and only had 3 residents actually have full blown covid all but 1 survived, the one who passed had a lot of other issues and illnesses
I myself have been extremely lucky not having had the vaccine, covid or symptoms and worked through it all and am still doing so.
Different shift pattern and longer days plus trying to keep family and friends safe. Trying to juggle all this is tiring in itself sometimes.
Luckily where I am now (Manchester UK) it's slowly getting to some kind of normal life, whatever normal is but I think this too raises anxiety levels in a lot of us, I know it does me at times, mainly when on public transport, more so when there's always those who think it's ok not to wear a face mask o_o

No I don't ever think it'll totally disappear.
I personally think it'll be here for the rest of my life just hopefully not as bad as it has been this past year

Hope all of you are safe and well :hug: :heart:

Good to hear that someone overseas has had the same experience and survived it. My Nursing facility has almost 200 beds. We lost, in total, 17 residents who were extremely ill in hospital. Most of them were obese, diabetic or dialysis patients. I was working the 3 to 11 shift, but I was begged to switch to a different floor for the COVID patients on the 11 to 7 shift and here I remain. There have been 3 Sundays I have had to cover both units for a total of 58 patients. I work my butt off on those days, I do rounds every 2 hours and still have time to help change patients who have been incontinent of both urine and bowel movements and still do my 2 med passes. I am exhausted after those Sundays and sleep almost 22 hours afterwards. My shoulders and lower back are killing as these people need constant position and incontinent changes and my CNA's need help. I am always available to help and they are good employees who love the residents as much as I do. My family loves and supports me in my job. I have not taken a vacation in close to 3 years. I only took off one day for a wedding. I love nursing.
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only love can.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gracie (127997951)
YoWorld Level: 341
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 1358
Forum Title: YoFollower
Location: With Dr Who in the Tardis traveling in outer space....

Postby Undecided (185859185) » Mon May 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Gracie (127997951) wrote:Good to hear that someone overseas has had the same experience and survived it. My Nursing facility has almost 200 beds. We lost, in total, 17 residents who were extremely ill in hospital. Most of them were obese, diabetic or dialysis patients. I was working the 3 to 11 shift, but I was begged to switch to a different floor for the COVID patients on the 11 to 7 shift and here I remain. There have been 3 Sundays I have had to cover both units for a total of 58 patients. I work my butt off on those days, I do rounds every 2 hours and still have time to help change patients who have been incontinent of both urine and bowel movements and still do my 2 med passes. I am exhausted after those Sundays and sleep almost 22 hours afterwards. My shoulders and lower back are killing as these people need constant position and incontinent changes and my CNA's need help. I am always available to help and they are good employees who love the residents as much as I do. My family loves and supports me in my job. I have not taken a vacation in close to 3 years. I only took off one day for a wedding. I love nursing.

I know that feeling all too well too, the job is a far cry from what it was when I first started
Makes a huge difference too, I too am lucky to have an understanding and supportive family and friend circle, although some of my friends can't understand why I do the job I do and more so through these bad times.
How I look at is that through this past year everyone has had a bad time of it one way or another but the residents or care/nursing homes have had it harder than most.
They haven't been able to have physical contact with their families, but then some don't have any family at all.
some have been lucky enough to have a window visit unfortunately some don't understand why family can't come in to visit.
It's been absolutely heartbreaking at times
They have only had the staff who look after them to give them comforting words and support, even the odd hug when needed
This is Manchester: We do things differently here Sarcasm is a Manchester Trait
Image Image
Don't try to figure me out. It will only exhaust you, you'd lose your mind trying to understand mine

Undecided (185859185)
YoWorld Level: 309
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2014

Forum Posts: 7303
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: ♥ ~ Sarcasm: The witty will have fun & the rest won't get it ~ ♥

Previous

Return to General Discussions