The Covid

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: The Covid

Postby Chris (4327680) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Vivica (13404458) wrote:I have so much respect for you, Chris. I hope you have fun doing whatever you're doing! :hug:

Aw, thanks. I don't think I deserve it after spewing negativity, though. I usually have more self-control. Just too much going on IRL life now that can't even be escaped in a game anymore because it's the same here, too.

But some of you are aces. :drink: :trophy: :star: :heart: :rose:
Buy / Sell / Trade / Wishes are at: Christine's Corner Top Wishes: Wish List
Always wishes: Spies Rugs, Connect Four Board Game, Brown Hairs (I return any hairs I already have.)

Chris (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 336
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 5918
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Vivica (13404458) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Chris (4327680) wrote:
Vivica (13404458) wrote:I have so much respect for you, Chris. I hope you have fun doing whatever you're doing! :hug:

Aw, thanks. I don't think I deserve it after spewing negativity, though. I usually have more self-control. Just too much going on IRL life now that can't even be escaped in a game anymore because it's the same here, too.

Naw, I don't think you were being negative. You were being real/truthful and I 100% agree with what you said. I feel the same way. :drink:
The category is...
Live... work... pose.

Vivica (13404458)
YoWorld Level: 246
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 10389
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Chris (4327680) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Vivica (13404458) wrote:
Chris (4327680) wrote:

Naw, I don't think you were being negative. You were being real/truthful and I 100% agree with what you said. I feel the same way. :drink:

:drink: :hug:
Always wishes: Spies Rugs, Connect Four Board Game, Brown Hairs (I return any hairs I already have.)

Chris (4327680)

Postby Dry Rub (126579776) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 pm

Chris (4327680) wrote:

So many people are hurting and have no clue. They just live for the moment and do what they can to forget the pain, scars, and nightmares they've experienced or created in their lives. It's so much easier to spew on others than it is to look in a mirror and face down their truths. So the world ends up in a cycle of pain, and it affects every interaction people have. Social media is nothing but a giant psyche ward for sharing pain. And I could write a thesis on that.

My dad taught me it's too easy to be cruel and that real men find the good in others by creating it in themselves. It ain't easy. I'm as broken as anyone and it shows up way more than I'd like. But I'll never stop trying. How can I help the world get better for others if I can't handle my own business?

Humanity is easy to dismiss. It's so much less trouble to just write them all off. It feels like the right decision because then they can't hurt us. But the good that happens in life happens when we deliver it to each other. And we can't experience that walled off from each other. It's why people feel hopeless about everyone else. They've stopped engaging to protect themselves. And that only further exacerbates the issue for everyone.

I rarely give advice as I have enough trouble just handling my own business. But living happens when we interact. I will highly recommend trying to find at least one person outside of your normal world to find things to talk about and enjoy. Not your sister, or existing best friend, or your cat. LOL There's so many ways to get this done. You can be a big brother or big sister to child who wants one. You can adopt a senior in a home with no family. You can help at a homeless shelter. There are online forums where people are looking for friends/someone to talk with. You could join Toastmasters and learn to speak publicly. If you have a skill, often there are places where people are trying to learn it. Be a mentor. You can't get anything out of life if you aren't investing into it. Existence is not living.

And I'm sorry for ranting and really sorrry if this came across as judgmental or pushy. I've just seen it work for too many people who have found themselves hating faceless and nameless humanity. That's the media showing us the worst parts of ourselves. It's not the vast majority of good people out there trying to make the world better. And it's certainly not the dog eat dog stuff that goes on in this game or these forums.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

All of the things you wished someone would have told you when you were at rock bottom, mean that you know exactly what someone who is struggling needs to hear right now in their worst moment....

Dry Rub (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 392
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 44551
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Chris (4327680) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 am

Jon Snow (126579776) wrote:
Chris (4327680) wrote:

So many people are hurting and have no clue. They just live for the moment and do what they can to forget the pain, scars, and nightmares they've experienced or created in their lives. It's so much easier to spew on others than it is to look in a mirror and face down their truths. So the world ends up in a cycle of pain, and it affects every interaction people have. Social media is nothing but a giant psyche ward for sharing pain. And I could write a thesis on that.

My dad taught me it's too easy to be cruel and that real men find the good in others by creating it in themselves. It ain't easy. I'm as broken as anyone and it shows up way more than I'd like. But I'll never stop trying. How can I help the world get better for others if I can't handle my own business?

Humanity is easy to dismiss. It's so much less trouble to just write them all off. It feels like the right decision because then they can't hurt us. But the good that happens in life happens when we deliver it to each other. And we can't experience that walled off from each other. It's why people feel hopeless about everyone else. They've stopped engaging to protect themselves. And that only further exacerbates the issue for everyone.

I rarely give advice as I have enough trouble just handling my own business. But living happens when we interact. I will highly recommend trying to find at least one person outside of your normal world to find things to talk about and enjoy. Not your sister, or existing best friend, or your cat. LOL There's so many ways to get this done. You can be a big brother or big sister to child who wants one. You can adopt a senior in a home with no family. You can help at a homeless shelter. There are online forums where people are looking for friends/someone to talk with. You could join Toastmasters and learn to speak publicly. If you have a skill, often there are places where people are trying to learn it. Be a mentor. You can't get anything out of life if you aren't investing into it. Existence is not living.

And I'm sorry for ranting and really sorrry if this came across as judgmental or pushy. I've just seen it work for too many people who have found themselves hating faceless and nameless humanity. That's the media showing us the worst parts of ourselves. It's not the vast majority of good people out there trying to make the world better. And it's certainly not the dog eat dog stuff that goes on in this game or these forums.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Not judgmental at all, but for me, doesn’t really apply. For a few reasons, from a few directions... not quite sure how to phrase that. LOL I squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of life. When you spend your life in bed and in hospitals, you learn not to waste the time you’re on your feet. My gripe with people isn’t a recent or encapsulated thing. It grew slowly over my entire life, so now it’s just an accepted truth. Not something I dwell on though, or even really think about much unless someone asks a question like this one. :)

Chris (4327680)

Postby Dry Rub (126579776) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 am

Sounds like a plan. Squeeze all the fun out of life you can! :)

All of the things you wished someone would have told you when you were at rock bottom, mean that you know exactly what someone who is struggling needs to hear right now in their worst moment....

Dry Rub (126579776)

Postby Isla (2518852) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:33 pm

I've seen a former co-worker lose her job and both parents to COVID in the last year or so. I know, without a doubt, this has been horrible for so many people out there and my heart goes out to them. There's a lot of hope at this point that we're nearing something that's a little more normal, but still not exactly the same as it was. I hope for everyone's sake we're nearing closer to it.

It been kind of lonely really I think for everyone, me included. I am grateful though to have found my first home, moved twice, been promoted and even grown in a second "side hustle" for extra funds if you will. To me the most interesting thing to look at is to sit back and see the loss (a grandparent I couldn't really visit much towards the end, social life, and a steady schedule) and the things I haven't been doing lately, but then also reflect on how much growth has occurred in other really unexpected areas simultaneously. For me at least, there has been a very fulfilling balance with the positives and I'm very thankful for it.

I guess that's the biggest thing I can note, is that though some growth has stagnated there were other areas where growth prospered. It's super interesting to me to see things balance out or adapt and how things have changed. In my own life, but also for businesses and others out there.

I hope you're all doing well and finding health and balance through it all. :hug:

Isla (2518852)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 07, 2008

Forum Posts: 1616
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby Always (112546669) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 pm

The last months have been of tremendous adaptation and learning. It's been horrible times too. We have seen and lived things that we never thought we would see, both in our places and worldwide.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the middle of a very strong earthquake, when you know you have to move quick to do the best to keep your loved ones safe, but also when you stay still, cling to something, close your eyes and just say please please make this stop.

I hope all of you and your families are well. A hugeeee hug :hug:
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 300
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009

Forum Posts: 14361
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Dry Rub (126579776) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 pm

Dry Rub (126579776)

Postby Dry Rub (126579776) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Don't let the media ruin your perspective of humanity. Most people get it...... :heart:

Dry Rub (126579776)

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 am

Always (112546669) wrote:The last months have been of tremendous adaptation and learning. It's been horrible times too. We have seen and lived things that we never thought we would see, both in our places and worldwide.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the middle of a very strong earthquake, when you know you have to move quick to do the best to keep your loved ones safe, but also when you stay still, cling to something, close your eyes and just say please please make this stop.

I hope all of you and your families are well. A hugeeee hug :hug:

Well said, Always. Perfect description of what it feels like. :sad: Stay strong and hang in there. :heart:
ImageImage
"I don't want to lubricate that." - Guybrush Threepwood

LisaTM (10095126)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 18213
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:40 am

Pokey Pie (126579776) wrote:Don't let the media ruin your perspective of humanity. Most people get it...... :heart:

Those are a few examples of the helpers. I don't think anyone's arguing there are no decent people out there, cops or otherwise. Police and shootings are a huge problem, and you can't justify it with a couple instances of decent police and the "one bad apple" argument. The media isn't what it used to be; only to some degree. The division's gotten worse and some media are more biased than others. But if you look at enough reputable sources, you'll find the same things across most of them, both from reporters and from commenters if you have the fortitude to read the comment sections. Some of them just report the facts and are sh!t on for doing so. It's always blaming and abolishing the media when the media's just the messenger. Journalism is under-appreciated because fascism's on the rise. AGAIN. Look at what's happening in India. Look what happened here. Look at Brazil. Look at . . . I mean, it's been very much WWII stuff since before the pandemic. It's not remotely shocking that this is where we are now.

History keeps repeating itself. As always, there are the responsible, decent ones and the ones who don't give a flying eff about anything or anyone but themselves. I can't assign a ratio and I'm pretty sure that's impossible to measure, so instead of saying people suck, I'll change that to a large enough portion of the human race sucks enough to wipe us all out or make the quality of life miserable enough that we won't recover.
ImageImage
"I don't want to lubricate that." - Guybrush Threepwood

LisaTM (10095126)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 18213
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Sat May 01, 2021 7:24 am

So far about a dozen of my colleagues (which means about 1 out of 10 of us) went through covid. One of them had to be hospitalized and one had zero symptoms and only found out when she had to test for a flight she wanted to take to another country.
Additionally an ex boyfriend of mine caught it and had to spend a week in ICU, and one of my colleagues' landlord just passed away from Covid.
Beind considered an essential employee I've worked through the entire pandemic so far. The policies for us and the entire base have been constantly changing. So it's been a bit of a mess. At first some gates were closed completely or their opening hours were shortned, which resulted in less overtime for us, which is a nice change to constantly having to work overtime due to being chronically shortstaffed.
Then gate opening hours went back to normal, but occasionally when a guard tested positive, and a dozen others who worked with them in the past few days had to be quarantined, it created more overtime for all the others of us again.
Customers of course often have short temper and lose their patience,not understanding the logic of some of the changed protective measures and base policies, and let their anger out on us guards (example: Answering "Shove your Covid sign up your a**" when we follow our orders by asking them if they read the covid questionnaire sign placed at each gate). We don't make the rules and just have to enforce them, often being just as annoyed and frustrated with them as the customers, but we have to stay professional. That can be quite a challenge, especially when all the things we usually enjoy to unwind and de-stress from the long work week, are no more allowed as part of the country's lockdown and restriction policies.
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 500
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 43638
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Richford (3429282) » Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 pm

I enjoyed reading everyone's post in this thread! Thanks everyone for the comments.

One thing I've learned is that society isn't ready if something worse were to happen.
Richford (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 215
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2972
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Dry Rub (126579776) » Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Dry Rub (126579776)

Previous

Return to General Discussions