What Does Your Name Mean?

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:55 pm

I always find the meaning of names so interesting. Especially from cultures outside of my own. What does your name mean?
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Richford (3429282) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:08 pm

My real name is Alexis. There is no deep meaning behind it. It’s just a name my parents seemed to like. I was going to be named Diego, though at some point they changed their minds before I was born.
User avatar
Richford (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 216
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008
 
Forum Posts: 2979
Forum Title: YoLover
Location: out here

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:43 am

Richford (3429282) wrote:My real name is Alexis. There is no deep meaning behind it. It’s just a name my parents seemed to like. I was going to be named Diego, though at some point they changed their minds before I was born.


Well Alexis is an awesome name. It’s also Greek and means ‘Defender of Men’ which makes it even cooler!
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Always (112546669) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:20 am

Hello! Nice thread MsPhantom :hug:

My name is Adriana del Carmen. Its two names cause in Latin America it is customary to baptize with two names. My parents chose Adriana cause was trending name that time, and Carmen cause my grandmas name was Carmen, and also they entrusted me to Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Our Lady of Mount Carmel).

Researching I found:.

Adriana:

-Its a latin name, feminine form of the name Adrian.

-It is one of the most popular names that exist in countries with Romance languages. It also comes from the time when the Roman Empire reached its peak, when Latin languages ​​began to spread throughout Europe.

-The Roman emperor Hadrian popularized this name, which was his family's last name.

-It means "the woman of the sea" "the one who comes from the Adriatic Sea or from the city of Adria, or Hadria" ( an Italian town in the province of Rovigo, Veneto region).

-The Biblical meaning of Adriana is "the one that comes from the Sea of ​​Hadria".

-It is a name that symbolizes the purity and strength of the sea.

Carmen:

-Carmen name has several meanings, the best known is "Garden of God", which comes from Hebrew. Also from hebrew "Karmel" (Mount Carmel).

-Other meanings arise from Latin such as "music", "song","poem" or "spell".
Image
Image
User avatar
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 14971
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Costa Rica

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:Hello! Nice thread MsPhantom :hug:

My name is Adriana del Carmen. Its two names cause in Latin America it is customary to baptize with two names. My parents chose Adriana cause was trending name that time, and Carmen cause my grandmas name was Carmen, and also they entrusted me to Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Our Lady of Mount Carmel).

Researching I found:.

Adriana:

-Its a latin name, feminine form of the name Adrian.

-It is one of the most popular names that exist in countries with Romance languages. It also comes from the time when the Roman Empire reached its peak, when Latin languages ​​began to spread throughout Europe.

-The Roman emperor Hadrian popularized this name, which was his family's last name.

-It means "the woman of the sea" "the one who comes from the Adriatic Sea or from the city of Adria, or Hadria" ( an Italian town in the province of Rovigo, Veneto region).

-The Biblical meaning of Adriana is "the one that comes from the Sea of ​​Hadria".

-It is a name that symbolizes the purity and strength of the sea.

Carmen:

-Carmen name has several meanings, the best known is "Garden of God", which comes from Hebrew. Also from hebrew "Karmel" (Mount Carmel).

-Other meanings arise from Latin such as "music", "song","poem" or "spell".


You have a gorgeous name. I always thought that the name Adriana was beautiful. I had no idea that it meant 'Lady of the Sea' but now that I do I think it's even more beautiful!
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:17 am

My name is Isabell

Isabell means “my God is an oath” (from Hebrew “elischeba), but also “beautiful” (from French “belle”).

A longer explantion of the name is:

Isabell is the German form of Isabel, a name which developed in the Middle Ages as a Provençal form of Elizabeth. Originally Isabel was used primarily among the French, Spanish and Portuguese (although the Spanish and Portuguese used the Latinate form Isabela with an “a”). The name gained widespread appeal among all Europeans by the 13th century thanks to a well-known French noblewoman, Isabella of Angoulême, who was betrothed to King John of England in 1200 (at the ripe old age of 12!). Not only did Isabella hold the lofty position of Queen Consort of England, but she was also the mother to another future king, Henry III of England. Another namesake was Isabella of France (daughter of King Philip IV of France). As a girl of twelve (again!), this Isabella was also sent to England to marry King Edward II in the early 14th century (who she would eventually have deposed and murdered, consequently earning her the sobriquet “She-wolf of France”). Another illustrious medieval Isabella was the 15th century Queen of Castile and León who famously financed Christopher Columbus’ 1492 voyage to the New World. See historic references on the Isabella page for more information on these memorable medieval Isabellas. While the name Elizabeth has maintained widespread popularity thanks to the Biblical reference, the forms of Isabel, Isabell, Isabelle, Isabela and Isabella were largely popularized by European royalty in the Middle Ages (the name is actually Ysabel in Old Spanish). All of the “Isabel” names can find their root origin in the Hebrew "Elisheba", which means "God is my oath". Elisheba/Elizabeth shows up in Exodus as the wife of Aaron (the older brother of Moses and the first High Priest of Israel). Separately, another Biblical Elizabeth appears in the New Testament (herself a descendent of Aaron) as the mother of John the Baptist. See the name Elizabeth for more detail. Through centuries of movement through various geographies, cultures and languages, Isabel is yet another derivation of Elisheba. The German spelling of Isabell is popular in Germany, but also well-used in the Scandinavian countries of Norway and Sweden. Diminutives include Isa, Izzy, Bell and Bella.
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
Image
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs
User avatar

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 500
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 43646
Forum Title: YoManiac
Location: the Iron Islands

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Always (112546669) » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Always (112546669) wrote:Hello! Nice thread MsPhantom :hug:

My name is Adriana del Carmen. Its two names cause in Latin America it is customary to baptize with two names. My parents chose Adriana cause was trending name that time, and Carmen cause my grandmas name was Carmen, and also they entrusted me to Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Our Lady of Mount Carmel).

Researching I found:.

Adriana:

-Its a latin name, feminine form of the name Adrian.

-It is one of the most popular names that exist in countries with Romance languages. It also comes from the time when the Roman Empire reached its peak, when Latin languages ​​began to spread throughout Europe.

-The Roman emperor Hadrian popularized this name, which was his family's last name.

-It means "the woman of the sea" "the one who comes from the Adriatic Sea or from the city of Adria, or Hadria" ( an Italian town in the province of Rovigo, Veneto region).

-The Biblical meaning of Adriana is "the one that comes from the Sea of ​​Hadria".

-It is a name that symbolizes the purity and strength of the sea.

Carmen:

-Carmen name has several meanings, the best known is "Garden of God", which comes from Hebrew. Also from hebrew "Karmel" (Mount Carmel).

-Other meanings arise from Latin such as "music", "song","poem" or "spell".


You have a gorgeous name. I always thought that the name Adriana was beautiful. I had no idea that it meant 'Lady of the Sea' but now that I do I think it's even more beautiful!


Thank you MsPhantom! Its meaning related to the sea is very beautiful, i wonder if thats why I've always had an affinity for mermaids stuff and sea creatures, and sea creatures seems to love me lol, specially stingrays :haha:

Mizz Libra, your name is beautiful! :rose: Here in Latin America is very popular to find Isabel and Isabela, both sound beautiful, its a very elegant and royal name.
Image
Image
User avatar
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 14971
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Costa Rica

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Always (112546669) wrote:Hello! Nice thread MsPhantom :hug:

My name is Adriana del Carmen. Its two names cause in Latin America it is customary to baptize with two names. My parents chose Adriana cause was trending name that time, and Carmen cause my grandmas name was Carmen, and also they entrusted me to Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Our Lady of Mount Carmel).

Researching I found:.

Adriana:

-Its a latin name, feminine form of the name Adrian.

-It is one of the most popular names that exist in countries with Romance languages. It also comes from the time when the Roman Empire reached its peak, when Latin languages ​​began to spread throughout Europe.

-The Roman emperor Hadrian popularized this name, which was his family's last name.

-It means "the woman of the sea" "the one who comes from the Adriatic Sea or from the city of Adria, or Hadria" ( an Italian town in the province of Rovigo, Veneto region).

-The Biblical meaning of Adriana is "the one that comes from the Sea of ​​Hadria".

-It is a name that symbolizes the purity and strength of the sea.

Carmen:

-Carmen name has several meanings, the best known is "Garden of God", which comes from Hebrew. Also from hebrew "Karmel" (Mount Carmel).

-Other meanings arise from Latin such as "music", "song","poem" or "spell".


You have a gorgeous name. I always thought that the name Adriana was beautiful. I had no idea that it meant 'Lady of the Sea' but now that I do I think it's even more beautiful!


Thank you MsPhantom! Its meaning related to the sea is very beautiful, i wonder if thats why I've always had an affinity for mermaids stuff and sea creatures, and sea creatures seems to love me lol, specially stingrays :haha:


Awww. That's so cool!
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Momo05 (187032505) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 am

What a cute thraed miss phantom :haha:

My name is Amanda Chrsitie.

Amanda > Worth Loving
Chrsitie > Christ

It's funny how my mom decided to use it :haha:

What about you miss Phantom? You're the one who made the thread, gotta tell us :haha:
Image
User avatar
Momo05 (187032505)
YoWorld Level: 272
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 28, 2016
 
Forum Posts: 3376
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Avoiding salty people

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Viking Andrew » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 am

My name is Andrew and I work for BVG
User avatar
Viking Andrew
YoWorld Level: 500
 
Forum Posts: 3147
Forum Title: Forum Daddy

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 am

Momo05 (187032505) wrote:What a cute thraed miss phantom :haha:

My name is Amanda Chrsitie.

Amanda > Worth Loving
Chrsitie > Christ

It's funny how my mom decided to use it :haha:

What about you miss Phantom? You're the one who made the thread, gotta tell us :haha:


You have a really pretty name, Amanda!

My name is Dana. My dad chose that name for me because 'Dana' is Arabic and it refers to a specific type of pearl. I personally don't like it. I think it sounds harsh and not very feminine. :silly:
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Shriveltits (126579776) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:18 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Momo05 (187032505) wrote:What a cute thraed miss phantom :haha:

My name is Amanda Chrsitie.

Amanda > Worth Loving
Chrsitie > Christ

It's funny how my mom decided to use it :haha:

What about you miss Phantom? You're the one who made the thread, gotta tell us :haha:


You have a really pretty name, Amanda!

My name is Dana. My dad chose that name for me because 'Dana' is Arabic and it refers to a specific type of pearl. I personally don't like it. I think it sounds harsh and not very feminine. :silly:

Your dad sees you as a valuable treasure. Ain't nothing wrong with that :)

I've known several Dana's and not a single one of them was manly. :love: :haha:
Image

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. - Neil Gaiman
User avatar
Shriveltits (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 415
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 46380
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Always (112546669) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:01 am

@ Amanda Chrsitie is a cute name, cute and sweet as you are :hug: :rose:

@MsPhantom: Dana is a beautiful name! Arabic names are amazing, my moms side of the family is lebanese, and I always said, if someday I have kids, im gonna choose an arabic name, there are many I love and with beautiful meanings :love:

@Andrew is a nice name, and you work at a cool place :smug: :haha:
Image
Image
User avatar
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 14971
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Costa Rica

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Momo05 (187032505) wrote:What a cute thraed miss phantom :haha:

My name is Amanda Chrsitie.

Amanda > Worth Loving
Chrsitie > Christ

It's funny how my mom decided to use it :haha:

What about you miss Phantom? You're the one who made the thread, gotta tell us :haha:


You have a really pretty name, Amanda!

My name is Dana. My dad chose that name for me because 'Dana' is Arabic and it refers to a specific type of pearl. I personally don't like it. I think it sounds harsh and not very feminine. :silly:

Your dad sees you as a valuable treasure. Ain't nothing wrong with that :)

I've known several Dana's and not a single one of them was manly. :love: :haha:


I've never thought of it that way before but I guess you're right, Rod. :)
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:@ Amanda Chrsitie is a cute name, cute and sweet as you are :hug: :rose:

@MsPhantom: Dana is a beautiful name! Arabic names are amazing, my moms side of the family is lebanese, and I always said, if someday I have kids, im gonna choose an arabic name, there are many I love and with beautiful meanings :love:

@Andrew is a nice name, and you work at a cool place :smug: :haha:


What Arabic names do you like, Always? My favorites for girls are Aaliyah and Iman and my favorite for a boy is Moustafa. :)
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Momo05 (187032505) » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Momo05 (187032505) wrote:What a cute thraed miss phantom :haha:

My name is Amanda Chrsitie.

Amanda > Worth Loving
Chrsitie > Christ

It's funny how my mom decided to use it :haha:

What about you miss Phantom? You're the one who made the thread, gotta tell us :haha:


You have a really pretty name, Amanda!

My name is Dana. My dad chose that name for me because 'Dana' is Arabic and it refers to a specific type of pearl. I personally don't like it. I think it sounds harsh and not very feminine. :silly:

I think it's a cute name :rose: No one hates pearl :smug: :haha:
Last edited by Momo05 (187032505) on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Momo05 (187032505)
YoWorld Level: 272
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 28, 2016
 
Forum Posts: 3376
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Avoiding salty people

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Momo05 (187032505) » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 am

Always (112546669) wrote:@ Amanda Chrsitie is a cute name, cute and sweet as you are :hug: :rose:

@MsPhantom: Dana is a beautiful name! Arabic names are amazing, my moms side of the family is lebanese, and I always said, if someday I have kids, im gonna choose an arabic name, there are many I love and with beautiful meanings :love:

@Andrew is a nice name, and you work at a cool place :smug: :haha:

Yours is so awesome miss Always, Adriana sounds so exotic and strong yet elegant :haha:
Image
User avatar
Momo05 (187032505)
YoWorld Level: 272
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 28, 2016
 
Forum Posts: 3376
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Avoiding salty people

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Always (112546669) » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:43 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Always (112546669) wrote:@ Amanda Chrsitie is a cute name, cute and sweet as you are :hug: :rose:

@MsPhantom: Dana is a beautiful name! Arabic names are amazing, my moms side of the family is lebanese, and I always said, if someday I have kids, im gonna choose an arabic name, there are many I love and with beautiful meanings :love:

@Andrew is a nice name, and you work at a cool place :smug: :haha:


What Arabic names do you like, Always? My favorites for girls are Aaliyah and Iman and my favorite for a boy is Moustafa. :)


I like for girls Nibal, Layla, Layale, Salma and Mira (there are many beautiful names its so hard to choose). For boys, I love Charbel, which is a christian name, with aramaic origin, very popular among the catholic maronites in Lebanon.

@Amanda: Thank you :hug: :rose:
Image
Image
User avatar
Always (112546669)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 07, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 14971
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Costa Rica

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Denna (10205906) » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:00 pm

My real name means The Sea :)
My family and my friends call me Dena and I like both. It is not common name where I come from... For example, in 1990 there were only 3 of us with that name in city where I was born and it is big city with 120 thousand people...One is named after me ;)
So many people asked me how my parents gave me that name. It was from some movie they watched and they liked it.They said If baby was boy, name would be Edwin (after one of astronauts Apollo 11 that year).

I like your name Dana :heart: In the country where I was born, we have name Dana too. Dan means Day... Dana is name for a girl and Danko is name for a boy.
Image
User avatar
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 321
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 16797
Forum Title: YoFiend

Re: What Does Your Name Mean?

Postby Dana (129173078) » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Always (112546669) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Always (112546669) wrote:@ Amanda Chrsitie is a cute name, cute and sweet as you are :hug: :rose:

@MsPhantom: Dana is a beautiful name! Arabic names are amazing, my moms side of the family is lebanese, and I always said, if someday I have kids, im gonna choose an arabic name, there are many I love and with beautiful meanings :love:

@Andrew is a nice name, and you work at a cool place :smug: :haha:


What Arabic names do you like, Always? My favorites for girls are Aaliyah and Iman and my favorite for a boy is Moustafa. :)


I like for girls Nibal, Layla, Layale, Salma and Mira (there are many beautiful names its so hard to choose). For boys, I love Charbel, which is a christian name, with aramaic origin, very popular among the catholic maronites in Lebanon.

@Amanda: Thank you :hug: :rose:


Salma is a beautiful name! Like Salma Hayek. :love:
User avatar
Dana (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 13902
Forum Title: YoWild
Location: Staying Hydrated

Next

Return to General Discussions