Joker

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Joker

Postby Richford (3429282) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Has anyone watched it? I just watched it a few days ago and it is probably the most disturbing film I've seen yet. I've seen quite a few, and while all those have their moments, gore, scares, mysteries, etc. I have not seen one quite like Joker. When I first watched the Dark Knight, I was impressed with Heath Ledger's performance, but I gotta say, props to Joaquin Phoenix.

everyone smiles in the same language
Richford (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 178
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2864
Forum Title: YoLover

Re: Joker

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Richford (3429282) wrote:Has anyone watched it? I just watched it a few days ago and it is probably the most disturbing film I've seen yet. I've seen quite a few, and while all those have their moments, gore, scares, mysteries, etc. I have not seen one quite like Joker. When I first watched the Dark Knight, I was impressed with Heath Ledger's performance, but I gotta say, props to Joaquin Phoenix.

I love Joaquin but I wasn't so sure when I saw the trailer. I haven't seen the movie though. YET. I can't comment on that aspect of it. RIP Heath Ledger he really was a method actor. You have to put yourself in a dark place to portray such a maniacal character such as this role and that he did. So the new Joker was that disturbing? but do you think he pulled off the role in that you were impressed? or just unfazed? I'm not sure what to think. I really like a lot of his movies though.
JustDucky (132308143)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 4465
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 pm

was he a good Joker? or did they portray him as a whackadoodle like the usual?
JustDucky (132308143)

Postby Dia (182313813) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Joaquin Phoenix :heart:
Not seen it yet.
but defo want to watch it.
✫ღ✫•ℒƠѵℯ✫•ღ♥ My Best Friend ♥ My Angels ♥ Thinking of you always ♥ Miss and Love you SM ♥XOX♥ღ•✫ℒƠѵℯ•✫ღ✫
➳♥DImage

Dia (182313813)
YoWorld Level: 283
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 13, 2012

Forum Posts: 18813
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Dia (182313813) wrote:Joaquin Phoenix :heart:
Not seen it yet.

He's one of my favorites! I loved him in Her.
JustDucky (132308143)

Postby Dia (182313813) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:57 pm

JustDucky (132308143) wrote:
Dia (182313813) wrote:Joaquin Phoenix :heart:
Not seen it yet.

He's one of my favorites! I loved him in Her.

yes :heart: :heart:
✫ღ✫•ℒƠѵℯ✫•ღ♥ My Best Friend ♥ My Angels ♥ Thinking of you always ♥ Miss and Love you SM ♥XOX♥ღ•✫ℒƠѵℯ•✫ღ✫
➳♥DImage

Dia (182313813)
YoWorld Level: 283
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 13, 2012

Forum Posts: 18813
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:56 pm

I'll definitely be seeing it now. I was really hoping they'd go dark with it and not pander to the broader audience like they've been trying and failing to do with the current run of DC movies. The trailer looks great. I've been a lifetime fan of Joaquin Phoenix, such a great actor, like his brother.
...............................Image

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 285
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 3462
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am

Was it really disturbing? I’m a fan of dark, twisted movies but I didn’t think Joker would be. :haha:
JeNNy (175442028)
YoWorld Level: 249
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 05, 2011

Forum Posts: 2225
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Death Dealer (126579776) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

I saw it last night. I've never seen anything like it and don't know that I could watch it again. It is a movie about one man's pain. It is about everything wrong with society and culture and people. It is dark, bleak, and hopeless. I cried twice during the film as the horrors his character experienced were just overwhelming. As his mind splinters to deal with trauma the film captures every aching detail. We wonder where the monsters come from in our real world. They are formed from the very fabric of the minds and hearts of people who get thrown away by life, culture, and indifference.

There wasn't a single happy moment in the entire film. There was nothing but darkness, pain, despair, and ruin. At one point his character says "Happy? I've never been happy for a single minute of my life." And it is oh so achingly prevalent in all of the film. I wouldn't recommend this movie for most people. It is not hopeful or moral. It is not a "feel good" movie. If you suffer depression, this will make it worse. Some people like sad movies because they make their real lives feel more superior. This movie won't do that. This movie will turn you sour and make you ache for the hopelessness of life. I will be thinking about it every time I run across someone suffering pain in any way.

Just wow. :sad: :rose:

Whatever you are not changing, you are choosing. - Laurie Buchanan
Death Dealer (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 35292
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 am

Chiller (126579776) wrote:I saw it last night. I've never seen anything like it and don't know that I could watch it again. It is a movie about one man's pain. It is about everything wrong with society and culture and people. It is dark, bleak, and hopeless. I cried twice during the film as the horrors his character experienced were just overwhelming. As his mind splinters to deal with trauma the film captures every aching detail. We wonder where the monsters come from in our real world. They are formed from the very fabric of the minds and hearts of people who get thrown away by life, culture, and indifference.

There wasn't a single happy moment in the entire film. There was nothing but darkness, pain, despair, and ruin. At one point his character says "Happy? I've never been happy for a single minute of my life." And it is oh so achingly prevalent in all of the film. I wouldn't recommend this movie for most people. It is not hopeful or moral. It is not a "feel good" movie. If you suffer depression, this will make it worse. Some people like sad movies because they make their real lives feel more superior. This movie won't do that. This movie will turn you sour and make you ache for the hopelessness of life. I will be thinking about it every time I run across someone suffering pain in any way.

Thanks for this, great synopsis. Sounds like a real gut puncher. I like movies that make me feel something, even if it is despair through empathy.
...............................Image

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 285
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 3462

Postby Richford (3429282) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:20 pm

JustDucky (132308143) wrote:was he a good Joker? or did they portray him as a whackadoodle like the usual?

He was a good joker, but I'm not sure what you mean by whackadoodle. I think Rod's explanation was great. It's about one man's journey to becoming the Joker, and you see every dark moment in his life that helped contribute to his new identity. I watched it with my friend, and he made a point to say the acting was phenomenal, cinematography beautiful, and the music very fitting (Hildur Guðnadóttir - very talented), but he was worried about the message that the film may be sending to some that may be in vulnerable states of mind. With everything Arthur suffered through, he's afraid other people may see his "ending" as the only possible one. However, it was a fascinating film, psychologically.
everyone smiles in the same language
Richford (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 178
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2864
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Chiller (126579776) wrote:I saw it last night. I've never seen anything like it and don't know that I could watch it again. It is a movie about one man's pain. It is about everything wrong with society and culture and people. It is dark, bleak, and hopeless. I cried twice during the film as the horrors his character experienced were just overwhelming. As his mind splinters to deal with trauma the film captures every aching detail. We wonder where the monsters come from in our real world. They are formed from the very fabric of the minds and hearts of people who get thrown away by life, culture, and indifference.

Yeah. That was deep. I choose to disengage from any type of movie that will not have a balance of emotions or I leave feeling like I stepped into a hopeless abyss devoid of any light. It's really questionable when you see a dark trailer but you see reviews layered behind it as "Utterly beautiful" and "Masterpiece". Yes, movies are subjective but this movie appears like overkill. The mental anguish and pain are tangible so his performance must be the beautiful part. Everybody goes to a theater for something different and I want to escape and feel something. I don't want to feel gloomier lol. I appreciate you giving fair warning to people who may not be in the best place mentally or in a fragile state. That's very considerate and appreciated.
JustDucky (132308143)

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Richford (3429282) wrote:
JustDucky (132308143) wrote:was he a good Joker? or did they portray him as a whackadoodle like the usual?

He was a good joker, but I'm not sure what you mean by whackadoodle. I think Rod's explanation was great. It's about one man's journey to becoming the Joker, and you see every dark moment in his life that helped contribute to his new identity. I watched it with my friend, and he made a point to say the acting was phenomenal, cinematography beautiful, and the music very fitting (Hildur Guðnadóttir - very talented), but he was worried about the message that the film may be sending to some that may be in vulnerable states of mind. With everything Arthur suffered through, he's afraid other people may see his "ending" as the only possible one. However, it was a fascinating film, psychologically.

It's just a silly word for a fanatical person and I'm getting entirely too comfortable using it and loose with it. Thank you for your post. It has me thinking. That's a good thing. I love any DC or Marvel movie and the Joker character has always been interesting to me and It shows you how society kind of edged someone towards the brink of insanity. It's interesting but I may not want to see 2 hours of it. It's hard to believe that the same guy who directed hangover did this one :eh:
JustDucky (132308143)

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

JeNNy (175442028) wrote:Was it really disturbing? I’m a fan of dark, twisted movies but I didn’t think Joker would be. :haha:

I heard It has all the ingredients you're looking for :wailing: :haha:
JustDucky (132308143)

Postby Death Dealer (126579776) » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Four (132308143) wrote:

Yeah. That was deep. I choose to disengage from any type of movie that will not have a balance of emotions or I leave feeling like I stepped into a hopeless abyss devoid of any light. It's really questionable when you see a dark trailer but you see reviews layered behind it as "Utterly beautiful" and "Masterpiece". Yes, movies are subjective but this movie appears like overkill. The mental anguish and pain are tangible so his performance must be the beautiful part. Everybody goes to a theater for something different and I want to escape and feel something. I don't want to feel gloomier lol. I appreciate you giving fair warning to people who may not be in the best place mentally or in a fragile state. That's very considerate and appreciated.

You are welcome. I feel it is irresponsible to show that film to some people. An unstable person could very easily watch it and say "f it all' and do something horrible to themselves or others. I'm all for art, and this film is definitely that. But we also wouldn't show some art to some people for a reason.

Death Dealer (126579776)

Postby Queen Mata (13429328) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Sunshine (126579776) wrote:
Four (132308143) wrote:

You are welcome. I feel it is irresponsible to show that film to some people. An unstable person could very easily watch it and say "f it all' and do something horrible to themselves or others. I'm all for art, and this film is definitely that. But we also wouldn't show some art to some people for a reason.

I saw it last night and I wanted to call my psychiatrist.

The whole week I heard what a master piece it is, the acting, the story...

As a person with mental issues, it can be a trigger. A lot of things were mentioned and I saw myself in it.

A friend asked me what I thought and I told him, then I asked him the same. He's also gone under some issues and his answer gave me goosebumps.

Not a movie for everybody.
Et tu, Brute?
Queen Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 3632

Postby sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Not seen it yet but plan to very soon. As soon as I seen that Joaquin Phoenix was playing him I knew it was going to be darker and more serious than any other take on the Joker. Do't get me wrong I love Heath also and can't say much until I actually see it.

sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062)
YoWorld Level: 325
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 8880
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:45 am

I loved this movie, wow I freaking loved it. This movie has gotta be my favorite now, nothing can beat it. :heart:
JeNNy (175442028)

Postby Death Dealer (126579776) » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:00 am

JeNNy (175442028) wrote:I loved this movie, wow I freaking loved it. This movie has gotta be my favorite now, nothing can beat it. :heart:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You understand now why it is a very difficult "watch" for a lot of people. The unrelenting spiral downward is just spectacular to behold. The little details the camera digs into to show us the cracking of sanity and the way all the different types of pain collided to crack Arthur's egg are just perfectly done.

But I do find it disturbing that some people I consider to be riding the edge of mental stability out here in the real world are magnetized to the movie. We shall see what time brings us in terms of residual effects.

:?:

Death Dealer (126579776)

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:37 am

Wet Spot (126579776) wrote:
JeNNy (175442028) wrote:I loved this movie, wow I freaking loved it. This movie has gotta be my favorite now, nothing can beat it. :heart:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You understand now why it is a very difficult "watch" for a lot of people. The unrelenting spiral downward is just spectacular to behold. The little details the camera digs into to show us the cracking of sanity and the way all the different types of pain collided to crack Arthur's egg are just perfectly done.

But I do find it disturbing that some people I consider to be riding the edge of mental stability out here in the real world are magnetized to the movie. We shall see what time brings us in terms of residual effects.

:?:

Yes, it was very disturbing. I just love dark movies, and this movie was one of a kind.
JeNNy (175442028)

Return to General Discussions