Adaptation Faithfulness

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Adaptation Faithfulness

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:25 am

Should adaptations remain faithful to the source material that they are derived from? That is, should adaptations still make it a priority to remain faithful to the core aspects of their source material that define the material?

I recently watched the new Birds of Prey trailer and I was shocked to find that Harley Quinn is being marketed as the main character of the film and has the biggest picture on the poster when she is not associated with the team or comic book in any way. Since the character isn't even associated with that team in the comic book, making Harley Quinn the main character of Birds of Prey makes about sense as making Hulk the main character of a Fantastic Four movie.
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 11482
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Re: Adaptation Faithfulness

Postby Death Dealer (126579776) » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:38 am

It always depends. If the diversion from the original is to make the adaptation BETTER or more PALATABLE for the intended audience, then I'm all for it. But it is a huge risk because failure also means being criticized for diverting from the source work. I've seen movies remain true to successful sources fail miserably, just as some have when they've diverted.

The challenge with film as a medium is to translate any story into something that people will be drawn into, no matter what their preconceptions are. That's why I'm a "blank slate" when I go to a movie. I won't allow something I've already processed to weigh on my expectation or experience. The movie gets a chance to stand on its own. This is especially tough with a series of films or sequels. They are almost impossible to watch without drawing from their predecessors.

I remember the first time I saw the original IT with Tim Curry and how utterly devastated I was at its miserable translation into film. I had to flush that to see the recent version and was pleasantly surprised.

Now I said all that and will whiplash the car around right here - there is nothing wrong with expecting directors to stick with the story and stay true to it. It is just super difficult to do sometimes. I love the Odd Thomas books by Koontz. They are perhaps my favorite series. When they tried to stay true to the books in that movie, it stunk up the screen so bad I had to stop watching it. They SHOULD HAVE gone away from the material to make it translate better into film. But noooooooope.

:thumbsup:

Whatever you are not changing, you are choosing. - Laurie Buchanan
Death Dealer (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 35292
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 pm

If I'm understanding this right I think they have the Joker movie in theaters now and DC wants to profit off the hysteria and peoples intoxication over her character portrayal as Harley Quinn. This is supposed to be about their breakup? or her after the breakup? prequel? Either way, It looks good lol. I know that the Joker and Harley Quinn have always had a toxic relationship. It does look whacky though and many books kinda branch off and do their own thing so I don't think any adaptation ever stays faithful to the original content. It's always more dramatical or added storylines and they blur out certain character portrayls I can't wait to see it.
JustDucky (132308143)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 4465
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 am

I saw on a lot of forums the trailer was leaked and they will probably come out with more trailers since It comes out in 2020. I guess they're trying to drum up the heat for the Joker's movie.

JustDucky (132308143)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 4465
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Return to General Discussions