Damaged Hair?

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Damaged Hair?

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm

So I have a mixture of wavy/curly hair and I have flat ironing my hair since I was around 10-11 years old. Before that, my mother would style my hair herself or take me to a salon to have my hair straightened for special events. I'm a pretty low maintenance person and it was always easier for me to just flat iron my curls away rather than spend countless products and a lot of time maintaining curls that I did not want to begin with. I straightened my hair so frequently over the years that my curl/wave patterns basically disappeared. I don't even remember what my original hair texture/pattern is because all those years of heat styling has left my hair deader than road kill.

Does anyone else have this issue? I cannot be the only one. :haha: Furthermore, is it possible for someone to retrieve their curly/wavy hair patterns without fully giving up heat tools?
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10852
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Re: Damaged Hair?

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:So I have a mixture of wavy/curly hair and I have flat ironing my hair since I was around 10-11 years old. Before that, my mother would style my hair herself or take me to a salon to have my hair straightened for special events. I'm a pretty low maintenance person and it was always easier for me to just flat iron my curls away rather than spend countless products and a lot of time maintaining curls that I did not want to begin with. I straightened my hair so frequently over the years that my curl/wave patterns basically disappeared. I don't even remember what my original hair texture/pattern is because all those years of heat styling has left my hair deader than road kill.

Does anyone else have this issue? I cannot be the only one. :haha: Furthermore, is it possible for someone to retrieve their curly/wavy hair patterns without fully giving up heat tools?

i don't use a dryer anymore, and very seldom, maybe once a month, i'll flat iron. but i use to do both too often, on top of forevermore, changing my hair color.
when i air dry, or sleep while it's wet, i get me a head full of banana curls and waves.
been working hard to correct my damage (fried) and i am noticing improvement, most especially to the ends.

two things:
i will only wash my hair once a week, because doing it more often dries it out and my hairs so long, it takes so long to dry. when i wash it and sleep on it wet, it's still damp in the mornings.

1. twice a month i'll take olive oil and saturate my dry hair, use wrap, a showercap, something, wait 30 minutes, then shampoo and condition.

2. the other 2 weeks, after shampooing and conditioning, when hair is only damp, i'll take olive oil and work it thru my hair (lightly).

occasionally during some days when i think it's needed, if it feels too dry, i'll take some really lightly thru my hair.
it does dry down, but leaves it feeling moisturized and silky, and in time will heal some damage.

BadMoon (153955457)
YoWorld Level: 320
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 21, 2010

Forum Posts: 9827
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:32 pm

shave it bald and start over-I've seen many women do this and they say it brings back the originality of their hair.
yes a lot will gasp and say but their hair is so long or any other reason but it works and really going bald isn't as bad as now they have all these beautiful cloth designed for that purpose-in most stores to wear on your head..people will be shocked at first but just assure them its your doing your hair your look your life and they usually shuddup and deal with it.

JustJo (106622274)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 45511
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Denna (10205906) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:58 am

I have niece who has curly hair and she is ironing it for years...There are different products which can be used to protect your hair from damage...

You birng it on hair before ironing... For example, here is oil I use before using dryer...

"Look in the mirror... That's your REAL competition!"
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 11131

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

I don't know if it would help with curls, but natural oils like coconut and olive one usually work wonders when it comes to dry, damaged and lifeless hair. Excess weight also adds to hair turning straight, so you might want to try cutting few inches off, depending on the length of your hair. My sister has natural curls, she never used hair iron but her curls loosened a lot with this length she has now and it always curls back up when she cuts her hair short (but that's exactly why she hates it and rarely does it).

I hope you find something that works, good luck! :heart:
Gloomten intolerant
ImageImage
My rooms | WTB | Trash can
TL Kira (187264144)
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 03, 2016

Forum Posts: 5492
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

BadMoon (153955457) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:So I have a mixture of wavy/curly hair and I have flat ironing my hair since I was around 10-11 years old. Before that, my mother would style my hair herself or take me to a salon to have my hair straightened for special events. I'm a pretty low maintenance person and it was always easier for me to just flat iron my curls away rather than spend countless products and a lot of time maintaining curls that I did not want to begin with. I straightened my hair so frequently over the years that my curl/wave patterns basically disappeared. I don't even remember what my original hair texture/pattern is because all those years of heat styling has left my hair deader than road kill.

i don't use a dryer anymore, and very seldom, maybe once a month, i'll flat iron. but i use to do both too often, on top of forevermore, changing my hair color.
when i air dry, or sleep while it's wet, i get me a head full of banana curls and waves.
been working hard to correct my damage (fried) and i am noticing improvement, most especially to the ends.

two things:
i will only wash my hair once a week, because doing it more often dries it out and my hairs so long, it takes so long to dry. when i wash it and sleep on it wet, it's still damp in the mornings.

1. twice a month i'll take olive oil and saturate my dry hair, use wrap, a showercap, something, wait 30 minutes, then shampoo and condition.

2. the other 2 weeks, after shampooing and conditioning, when hair is only damp, i'll take olive oil and work it thru my hair (lightly).

occasionally during some days when i think it's needed, if it feels too dry, i'll take some really lightly thru my hair.
it does dry down, but leaves it feeling moisturized and silky, and in time will heal some damage.

I don't wash my hair everyday either. It's just not healthy for anyone regardless of hair texture or gender. Plus, washing your hair every single day actually causes it to become greasier. When hair is constantly stripped of it's natural oils daily like that it becomes too produce more oils in a shorter amount of time.

I try to avoid drying my hair as much as possible but some days if I am crunched for time than it is necessary.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

JustJo (106622274) wrote:shave it bald and start over-I've seen many women do this and they say it brings back the originality of their hair.
yes a lot will gasp and say but their hair is so long or any other reason but it works and really going bald isn't as bad as now they have all these beautiful cloth designed for that purpose-in most stores to wear on your head..people will be shocked at first but just assure them its your doing your hair your look your life and they usually shuddup and deal with it.

MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Keli Jo (104439710) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm

If you live in America go to Walmart they sell his leave in conditioning spray it's called rose one but it comes in other wines as well its a10 in 1 spray I use it and helps y hair which has issues from well water with no sofner in it

Keli Jo (104439710)
YoWorld Level: 296
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 2402
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Christine (4327680) » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:46 am

I mix about one part conditioner, three parts water to make my own leave-in spray and then dry close to my head with a diffuser to keep the curls from dropping too much.
If something can be taken the wrong way or another way, I meant it the other way.

Christine (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 368
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:00 am

Sorry for your eye roll there msphantom -you don't have to agree but maybe you've not dealt with someone with cancer who lose their hair-a lot of their friends will shave their heads for the cause-it happens a lot and it basically comes back actually different. There are many organizations and even Uni students + proffs and teachers who will do this usually if a close student/friend has cancer..please never roll your eyes at the idea-guess you have to have "been there" or know about all these causes and friends who will do this to be by the cancer patients side..I'm sorry you feel this way and I didn't think I had to go into the explanation-hope this helps you to understand my opinion.

JustJo (106622274)

Postby SamiSpiffy23 (138400888) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am

Ok :haha: shaving her head might be a bit extreme! I know some folks do it for a good cause but I don't have the courage to ever shave my head :( My hair is very very long ..it's past my hip now. I've gotten the good genes from my dad who to this day hasn't lost his hair..but I also take vitamins for skin, hair & nails and it's kept my hair even more stronger.
So Msp, I'd suggest looking into taking some vitamins :) and I've also heard some oils like olive oil help can help you achieve healthier hair. I'd stay away from ironing for a while and just let your hair naturally dry or just blow dry it :)
Good Luck! :thumbsup:
Last edited by SamiSpiffy23 (138400888) on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
【♡Click on banner to visit me♡】I love mail! ツ
SamiSpiffy23 (138400888)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 52837

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am

Denna (10205906) wrote:I have niece who has curly hair and she is ironing it for years...There are different products which can be used to protect your hair from damage...

You birng it on hair before ironing... For example, here is oil I use before using dryer...

I'll check it out! Also, thanks for the oil before blow drying tip! I used to use a John Frieda hair protectant spray but I've never thought of using an oil. :thumbsup:
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

I've heard this stuff is amazing. Anyone here who can verify?

Last edited by MsPhantom (129173078) on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Denna (10205906) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 pm

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Denna (10205906) wrote:I have niece who has curly hair and she is ironing it for years...There are different products which can be used to protect your hair from damage...

I'll check it out! Also, thanks for the oil before blow drying tip! I used to use a John Frieda hair protectant spray but I've never thought of using an oil. :thumbsup:

Yw :) Just be careful which oil are you going to use...And I remember first time when my friend who is hair stylist used oil to style my hair... There was a bit smoke and it scared me! :haha: She said: don't worry, it is better that oil gives that smoke than your hair. ;) :D
"Look in the mirror... That's your REAL competition!"
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 11131

Postby Keli Jo (104439710) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 pm

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:I've heard this stuff is amazing. Anyone here who can verify?

That's a really good brand I have used it beforw worked great

Keli Jo (104439710)

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:16 pm

De Lorenzo have excellent hair products that cover a wide range of hair types and are salon quality.
I have a different hair type to you and mine was not damaged from styling but dried out from swimming. I bought a shampoo, conditioner and hair treatment and my hair was back to silky smooth in a short amount of time. I use the treatment once a month and the shampoo and conditioner once a week along with my regular shampoo and conditioner. I don't know what you personally consider expensive but with all three products together the cost came to $85 AUD, but last a very long time using them the way I do.
They are an Australian company and am unsure if they ship globally or if you'd go as far as to buy products outside of your country, but if you are willing to do so, I highly recommend the brand.
...............................Image

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 3085
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 pm

I heard washing with mayo helps-I never tried it but a lot have.

JustJo (106622274)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Keli Jo (104439710) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:I've heard this stuff is amazing. Anyone here who can verify?

Good to know. Need to try it myself then. :D
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Keli Jo (104439710) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:13 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Keli Jo (104439710) wrote:

Good to know. Need to try it myself then. :D

I think they have a line of shampoo and conditioner if I'm thinking of the correct line. Oh bed head sells a detangler that's smells and works good on curls I have waves so I get bad knots let me get u a pic of it

Keli Jo (104439710)

Postby Keli Jo (104439710) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:15 am

Image this what I bought at right aid I was wrong on the brand

Keli Jo (104439710)