Movies....You would Recommend

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Movies....You would Recommend

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:47 am

Two off the top of my head

The secret life of Walter Mitty with Ben Stiller
and
Half Light with Demi Moore

What are some of the Movies you would recommend?

BadMoon (153955457)
YoWorld Level: 322
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 21, 2010

Forum Posts: 10634
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Re: Movies....You would Recommend

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:41 am

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
- Lady Bird (2017)

Lady Bird is seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. I would go so far as to call it a perfect movie as I have never been able to find any flaws within the film whatsoever. No matter who you are and regardless of your gender, age, socioeconomic background, ethnic background, etc I guarantee that you will be able to relate to this movie. It's the ultimate 'Coming-of-Age-' story.

- American Beauty (1999)

The characterization in this movie is phenomenal. Every character in this movie has clearly defined motivations. They're all fleshed out and behave like humans in the real world do. The performances in this movie are amazing and the screenplay is absolutely fantastic.

- Good Will Hunting (1997)

I watched this movie at the perfect moment and I'm so glad that I did. To this day, this movie is the only film that can make me cry every single time that I watch it.

- The Truman Show (1998)

One of the deepest and most thought provoking films I've ever seen. I love the religious symbolism, set design, performances, screenplay....well I just love everything about this movie.

- Spider-Man 2 (2004)

The greatest superhero film ever made. At it's core, it's a character study of Peter Parker. It was the first superhero film to delve into the psychology of heroism and the consequences of it. Alfred Molina is perfect as Doc Ock. Mary Jane is the love interest but has more depth as a character than any female 'superhero' in any superhero movie. It has the most satisfying ending to a film ever. It's a masterpiece of a film and one of the only 'timeless' superhero movies ever.

- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

This movie is so gripping from beginning to end. And I give it props for daring to redeem a character that most films would paint as 'irredeemable'.

- Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

I like the atmosphere of the film and the exploration of dreams, desire, and extravagance in New York's elite. Kubrick is a genius and he has managed to create a film where the audience can take nothing at face value.

- Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz (2004) & (2007)

I lumped these two together since they are essentially the same film in different contexts. Edgar Wright is my favorite film-maker and he is the only modern director who can create an actually funny comedic film. He is also great at combining comedy with other genres. In Shaun of the Dead, he combines comedy with horror and in Hot Fuzz he combines comedy and action. Both films are pretty amazing with clever writing and jokes that land. The mid 2000's was filled with unfunny Judd Appatow comedies saturating the market and so I appreciate Edgar Wright's genuine comedy combined with excellent, stylized film-making.

- Scream (1996)

My all-time favorite horror film and the film that peaked my interest in cinema. This movie is the ultimate satire of slasher films. Not only does it satirize horror film tropes, it goes so far as to use horror film tropes to subvert the audience's expectations. Scream revived horror in the '90's and even established horror franchises such as Halloween attempted to take a page out of Scream's book and employ meta-film-making in their films. I make it a point to watch this movie every Halloween. Such a shame that the sequels end up becoming what the first film was satirizing in the first place. :(

- The Departed (2006)

This movie has one of the best screenplays of any film by far. It's so clever and subverts audience expectations. I love the character dynamics and the emotional arcs of the characters.

- Kill Bill (2003)

The Bride is one of the greatest protagonists in film. Her motivations are clearly established from the beginning of the film and the audience roots for her no matter what. The action sequences are also some of the best I've ever seen.

- Under the Skin (2013)

This movie is mesmerizing. I swear once you turn it on, your eyes will stay glued to the tv until it's finished. I normally would never consider Scarlett Johansson to be a good actress but her performance in this film as an alien learning about humans and how her demeanor changes slowly throughout the movie as she learns more and more about humans and human interaction is amazing. This movie is almost spell-binding. I highly recommend this one if you enjoy science fiction and even more so if you enjoy film as an art form.

- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

I don't care much for animated movies but this movie is a masterpiece. It's a love letter to comic book and Spider-Man fans. The stylized animation is groundbreaking and the jokes are some of the funniest in modern cinema.

Guilty-Pleasure Films (requested by Rod)

- The Mummy 1 & 2 (1999) and (2002)

I grew up watching these films and, while I do think that they are nowhere near perfect, I absolutely love them. I love the swash-buckling adventure. I love the warmth of the film aided by the cinematography and set design. I miss the days when Hollywood used to produce original action/adventure films. Nowadays, every film being released is part of a major film franchise or adapted from a comic book, cartoon, game, or book series.

- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

I love, love, love, love, love this movie and watch it every Christmas. I love Jim Carrey. I love the adult themes and jokes. I love the almost dark tones that film has. I just love it and no one will ever be able to convince me that it's a bad film.
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 12011

Postby Flabby Cheap (126579776) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:03 am

One of my very favorite movies came on last night and I forgot how much I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. If you've never seen Stranger Than Fiction, it is just the oddest little story about a real man (Will Ferrell) who begins to audibly hear someone (Emma Thompson) narrating his life. It is the sweetest little drama and it captivated me then and it still does. Will Ferrell stars in what I think is his only serious dramatic role and he does a great job. If you enjoy drama and good story, then this one is for you.

A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it becomes accepted by a majority.

~ Rick Warren
Flabby Cheap (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 35951
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 am

Just going to toss these older ones at you. All was awesome and the casting for them. :love:
Second Hand Lions
Gangs Of New York- or any film with Daniel Day Lewis
The Last Castle- or any Robert Redford film
Boys On the Side
Gran Torino- or any Clint Eastwood film.
City of Angels
Patch Adams
Meet Joe Black
Instinct- with Anthony Hopkins
If you are looking for a good laugh which you probably will after some of the tear jerkers from above... :haha:
Horrible Bosses
We’re the Millers
Going in Style
Last Vegas

sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062)
YoWorld Level: 325
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 9062
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Flabby Cheap (126579776) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:46 am

I ain't watching Patch Adams again - ever. :wailing: :wailing: :wailing: :wailing:

A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it becomes accepted by a majority.

~ Rick Warren
Flabby Cheap (126579776)

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:57 am

Keanu
The holiday
The uninvited
Deadpool
The fault in our stars
The heat
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 460
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 31027
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:39 pm

LOL Deadpool was fantastic

The Fault in our stars was good I only started watching it because of the play on words with Shakespeare The Fault Brutus Is NOT within our stars but ourselves

Lost in Translation
Broken Flowers

ANYTHING by STANLEY KUBRICK

Gangs of New York
Serendipity
Night Train to Lisbon
Prophecy series

ANYTHING BY.... RIDDLEY SCOTT

ANYTHING WITH DANIEL DAY LEWIS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2012

Forum Posts: 4795
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Anything by Mel Gibson

Apocalypto
Passion of the Christ
Hacksaw Ridge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 3918
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:I ain't watching Patch Adams again - ever. :wailing: :wailing: :wailing: :wailing:

I know it gets me every time. :wailing: :wailing:

Postby sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Mizz Libra (136290570) wrote:Keanu
The holiday
The uninvited
Deadpool
The fault in our stars
The heat

The fault in our stars was so sad. My daughter s a John Green fan and had read his book. I at the time when sitting down to watch it with her had no idea what it was about I was sitting there thinking great here we go with another Twilight epidemic. :haha: It was pretty good movie. I recently watched another really sad one with her as well its call Five Feet Apart. It was really sad as well. :sad:

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Some listed here I've seen, some I have not. So this is good :D now I can look some up :love:

Seen every Stan Lee/ Marvel/ Super hero movie ever. I am a fanatic :D

BadMoon (153955457)

Postby DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:20 pm

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:Anything by Mel Gibson

Apocalypto
Passion of the Christ
Hacksaw Ridge

You forgot The Patriot

So many great movies to make a fav list it would have to be limited to 1000

No one has even mentioned the extraordinary films by Will Smith
7 pounds...
Collateral Beauty For me to spend an excruciating 2 hours dehydrating from constant tears 5x
collateral beauty is 1 film I cry until my guts ache at the sheer beauty of human emotional pain
and the reality that we do not always win we do not always over come but sometimes just sometimes we manage to survive...even when we do not want to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673)
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2012

Forum Posts: 4795
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby mauiencar (104164330) » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 pm

These movies are not the best, but I enjoy watching them. :D I know they are not the best because when I was 12—I had a classmate who thought she was Roger Ebert's reincarnation and criticized all of us (Her classmates.) who liked movies that were below 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. o_o So, yeah. Feel free to criticize my favorite movies! :haha:
Push (2009)
I first watched this when I was 10 years old. I really didn't understand anything at first and I kept watching it again and again until I understood everything. :haha: I still enjoy watching this now every now and then because it makes me feel nostalgic now. :D
Sucker Punch (2011)
The same as above, basically. :haha:
Inception (2010)
The same, again. I really love movies that confuse the s**t out of me. :haha:
Just saying, I did not list these movies based on good I think they are. I listed these by the order in which I've seen them. Okay? Okay. :D Now, feel free to judge me as a person based on my taste in movies like my classmate did, 7 years ago. :haha:
Anwesha • Ash • Divya • Eloryn • Greg • Kira • Laudy • Liam • Lisalishus • Mizz Libra • Mr Savage • Mrs Poker
MsPhantom • Nick • not theFATHER • Peach • Selcouth • shaggy • Somer • Stardust • WittchyBoo • YoJohn • Yoyo
mauiencar (104164330)
YoWorld Level: 231
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 6209
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Velle (153978634) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:29 am

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:Anything by Mel Gibson

Apocalypto
Passion of the Christ
Hacksaw Ridge

Hacksaw Ridge is really good :thumbsup:
Velle (153978634)
YoWorld Level: 230

Forum Posts: 2777
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:51 am

Who if anybody has watched Ringo Starr's Caveman.
Hilarious omgee.

BadMoon (153955457)

Postby sNaPCaCkLeNPooP (12927062) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am

mauiencar (104164330) wrote:These movies are not the best, but I enjoy watching them. :D I know they are not the best because when I was 12—I had a classmate who thought she was Roger Ebert's reincarnation and criticized all of us (Her classmates.) who liked movies that were below 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. o_o So, yeah. Feel free to criticize my favorite movies! :haha:
Push (2009)
I first watched this when I was 10 years old. I really didn't understand anything at first and I kept watching it again and again until I understood everything. :haha: I still enjoy watching this now every now and then because it makes me feel nostalgic now. :D
Sucker Punch (2011)
Inception (2010)
Just saying, I did not list these movies based on good I think they are. I listed these by the order in which I've seen them. Okay? Okay. :D Now, feel free to judge me as a person based on my taste in movies like my classmate did, 7 years ago. :haha:

No judgement at all. I have seen Push and Inception both was pretty decent movies. I am open to all types honestly. I mean you don't really know if you will like it until you watch it. I never go by reviews I like to find out for myself and it does not matter what your friend likes or dislikes that is why you are 2 different people. :) By your list you would probably like the movie Transcendence with Johnny Depp if you have not see nit yet. ;)

Postby Flabby Cheap (126579776) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 am

mauiencar (104164330) wrote:These movies are not the best, but I enjoy watching them. :D I know they are not the best because when I was 12—I had a classmate who thought she was Roger Ebert's reincarnation and criticized all of us (Her classmates.) who liked movies that were below 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. o_o So, yeah. Feel free to criticize my favorite movies! :haha:
Push (2009)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Inception (2010)

Brutha, let me tell you about movies. When I was young there was a critic on TV that I just loved. He once said "Movies can be artistically valid and satisfy critical merit, but at the end of the day the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS for any movie is that the viewer is entertained". If these movies entertain you, then they are more relevant than "Citizen Kane" will ever be to your world. There is no "WRONG" movie to recommend.

I love the movie "Idiocracy". I've recommended it to many people. The feedback I get is 50/50 when they watch it. A lot of people can't handle the low brow nature of many of it's raunchy and stupid jokes. But while they see the trees that have flaws, I see the forest that is a stunning piece of social commentary about the degradation of intelligence and the morality of society.........that comes complete with fart jokes. LOL

The point is, if you watch a movie and like or love it, you don't have to apologize to ANYBODY for what you enjoy. Don't make excuses and don't let anyone piss on your thang. The movies people enjoy are like fingerprints - each of us has a different and unique view on every movie we watch. And no one's view is any more or less important than anyone else's.

:thumbsup:

~ Rick Warren
Flabby Cheap (126579776)

Postby mauiencar (104164330) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 am

sNaPCraCkLeNPoP (12927062) wrote:
Push (2009)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Inception (2010)

No judgement at all. I have seen Push and Inception both was pretty decent movies. I am open to all types honestly. I mean you don't really know if you will like it until you watch it. I never go by reviews I like to find out for myself and it does not matter what your friend likes or dislikes that is why you are 2 different people. :) By your list you would probably like the movie Transcendence with Johnny Depp if you have not see nit yet. ;)

I'll check it out, thank you! :hug:
Anwesha • Ash • Divya • Eloryn • Greg • Kira • Laudy • Liam • Lisalishus • Mizz Libra • Mr Savage • Mrs Poker
MsPhantom • Nick • not theFATHER • Peach • Selcouth • shaggy • Somer • Stardust • WittchyBoo • YoJohn • Yoyo
mauiencar (104164330)

Postby mauiencar (104164330) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 am

Thymuv Damunth (126579776) wrote:
Push (2009)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Inception (2010)

Brutha, let me tell you about movies. When I was young there was a critic on TV that I just loved. He once said "Movies can be artistically valid and satisfy critical merit, but at the end of the day the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS for any movie is that the viewer is entertained". If these movies entertain you, then they are more relevant than "Citizen Kane" will ever be to your world. There is no "WRONG" movie to recommend.

I love the movie "Idiocracy". I've recommended it to many people. The feedback I get is 50/50 when they watch it. A lot of people can't handle the low brow nature of many of it's raunchy and stupid jokes. But while they see the trees that have flaws, I see the forest that is a stunning piece of social commentary about the degradation of intelligence and the morality of society.........that comes complete with fart jokes. LOL

The point is, if you watch a movie and like or love it, you don't have to apologize to ANYBODY for what you enjoy. Don't make excuses and don't let anyone piss on your thang. The movies people enjoy are like fingerprints - each of us has a different and unique view on every movie we watch. And no one's view is any more or less important than anyone else's.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, man! :D I definitely won't let anyone piss on my thang. :haha:
mauiencar (104164330)

Postby FermitthekrogYBLA (1195434) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 am

Crash (fantastic movie)
The public (a bit slower but a movie that makes you think)
FermitthekrogYBLA (1195434)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 14, 2008

Forum Posts: 9020

Next

Return to General Discussions