The Lion King

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

The Lion King

Postby Viking Andrew » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am

Ok, I need to vent a bit here!

I went and saw The Lion King last night. Getting to see a remake of one of my all-time favourite movies had my inner child giddy with excitement the entire way to the theatre.

Two hours later, I left with just one thought running through my head... "Why?"

"WHY!!!??"

Why did they do this to something I have such love for?

I headed home; my mood, a polar opposite of how it was on my way there. I can't help but think about the potential that this film had, and how poorly executed it was.

Was it a good movie? Sure. I'm sure if you've never seen the original, it can pass as a good film. But as someone that has seen the original dozens of times, and has such an immense love for the film, this remake just left me heartbroken.

:heartbroken:

Viking Andrew
YoWorld Level: 500

Forum Posts: 1607
Forum Title: The Best Taco Artist

Re: The Lion King

Postby Shiver (126579776) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:33 am

I expect better from John Favreau. I got word before I bought tickets that it is a real disappointment for adults trying to remake the magic. I'll stick with my memory. Sorry you got burned. It happens.

On the upside, it is nice to see a Vike participating in here again. Part of the problem with a forum is when it feels like "us" vs "them". Keep letting us know you guys are human. It really does go a long way to adding credibility whenever you do actually have to do your job.

:smug:

Monsters are real, ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.......Stephen King
Shiver (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 34494
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:35 am

I'm usually all hyped for remakes and whatever in 3D but to be honest, what I've watched in past few months left me ravaged. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon and I had to see Detective Pikachu movie right away, not to mention all other spin offs from manga and anime series like Alita - The Battle Angel (originally Gunnm) but when we are so in love with something, we are also expecting a lot from it. I haven't watched this one, even though I wanted to, but after reading reviews it was just too bitter for me to handle.

Sonic the Hedgehog was one of my favorite childhood games, and from what I've seen they are going to ruin that too. :wailing:

Hope your heartache doesn't last too long, have some ice cream and don't think about it think about Cats! :haha:
Gloomten intolerant
ImageImage
My rooms | WTB | Trash can
TL Kira (187264144)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 03, 2016

Forum Posts: 5496
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Queen Mata (13429328) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 am

Et tu, Brute?
Queen Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 3590
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Viking Andrew » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 am

Queen Mata (13429328) wrote:Image

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Viking Andrew

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am

I think they didn’t do well on portraying facial expressions on the characters. Made it hard to feel any empathy. Especially the scene where Simba’s dad dies, there was literally no emotion on his face.
JeNNy (175442028)
YoWorld Level: 248
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 05, 2011

Forum Posts: 1836
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby THE SCORPIONS (184182673) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:58 am

I actually hate Disney the only ones I watched more than once were snow white and peter pan
because they did amazing multiple overlays and developed new paints some scenes were filmed on 7 separate plates of glass then set in place and filmed from 20 feet in the air.
I watch the reg kids ones with daughter but the later pure animation was flat the later cgi hurts my eyes Frankly I think most of it would have Walt turning over in his grave Hence all the music which carries the films
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE SCORPIONS (184182673)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2012

Forum Posts: 4517
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Viking Andrew » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:18 pm

JeNNy (175442028) wrote:I think they didn’t do well on portraying facial expressions on the characters. Made it hard to feel any empathy. Especially the scene where Simba’s dad dies, there was literally no emotion on his face.

That and the voice actor was just incredibly unconvincing.

I think Donald Glover (Adult Simba) and Seth Rogen (Pumba) were the only voice actors I actually thought did a good job.

Viking Andrew

Postby Denna (10205906) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm

As the matter of fact, I have the original videotape and saw it plenty times together with my daughter...

Idk am I going to watch new one right now... Maybe next year, together with my grandson...

Oh boy, the time flies...
"Look in the mirror... That's your REAL competition!"
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 11179
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby THE SCORPIONS (184148760) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 pm

I will never forget the first time sitting in the Cinema and watching the opening scenes of the Original Lion King, the songs the voice overs, Jeremy Irons Scar. Incredible movie and i still bawl my eyes out now when I watch it. Haven't seen the new one yet.....time does fly Denna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE SCORPIONS (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 3763
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:25 pm

I am boycotting Disney's unnecessary live action remakes. I have an issue with unnecessary reboots and remakes. There was nothing wrong with the original Lion King, Aladdin, and Cinderella cartoon films. I don't know why they have to force sub-par live action versions down our throats.

Another issue I have with the film is with the character's ability to emote. In the cartoon, the animals are easily drawn to emote their feelings. In a "live action" film, it's near impossible to create an emoting lion through cgi without looking painfully silly.

One more issue I have is that it's not even really "live action". They took the voices of the actors/singers and applied them to cgi animals and locations. It cannot be live action if everything about the film is generated from a computer.

Okay...rant over now.

:haha:
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10901

Postby BadMoon (153955457) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:16 pm

oh, i can't go see it then.
i'll stick to the original. :heart:

BadMoon (153955457)
YoWorld Level: 320
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 21, 2010

Forum Posts: 9869
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Shiver (126579776) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Monsters are real, ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.......Stephen King
Shiver (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 34494
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 pm

I actually loved it since they decided to keep some of the songs-any Disney movie without some of the original scores is a let down but they did alright-LOVED when they added another Disney tune -be our guest-that was interesting.

malificent is making a comeback in October-not sure yet about it tho.

JustJo (106622274)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 45748
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Viking Andrew » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 am

JustJo (106622274) wrote:I actually loved it since they decided to keep some of the songs-any Disney movie without some of the original scores is a let down but they did alright-LOVED when they added another Disney tune -be our guest-that was interesting.

malificent is making a comeback in October-not sure yet about it tho.

But they got rid of one of my favorite scenes to add Be Our Guest :(

Viking Andrew

Postby Erwyle (187240896) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:23 am

I haven't seen either one. I was too old and no kids to take who might be interested for the first, and pretty much ditto for the second. It's on my bucket list though lol.

I am curious why it was a fail? Too soon? Not unique? I figure you can't talk too much about it without going into spoilers, but I am curious...
:)

Erwyle (187240896)
YoWorld Level: 313
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 05, 2016

Forum Posts: 11913

Postby Viking Andrew » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Erwyle (187240896) wrote:I haven't seen either one. I was too old and no kids to take who might be interested for the first, and pretty much ditto for the second. It's on my bucket list though lol.

I am curious why it was a fail? Too soon? Not unique? I figure you can't talk too much about it without going into spoilers, but I am curious...
:)

It's definitely not unique. The majority of the movie is a 1:1 copy of the original.

My biggest gripes were scenes that were changed for no reason, the voice actors (which is a shame, because I really like a lot of them outside of the movie), and the talking animation looks really weird on some of the animals with how realistic they look (for example, Zazu the bird's entire beak widely opens and closes while he's talking, and it just looks ridiculous to me)

Viking Andrew

Postby Cereza (160279019) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 pm

I loved the movie. I went with my mom (it's been her favorite Disney movie since the original came out), and watching her experience it all over again, but this time with new voices and a CGI makeover, was incredible. I anticipated negative feedback. It comes with every remake ever made and I can understand where the opposition comes from, but if you have not seen it, I encourage you to watch it and formulate your own opinion. :)
ImageImage

Cereza (160279019)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: May 24, 2010

Forum Posts: 484
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:53 am

I think they should just stop and let a masterpiece just be what It is. They like to recycle movies Aladdin, Dumbo, Beauty and the beast(which was beautiful I thought) and other flicks but they never compare or rival to Its predecessor. They're stale and lack the magic of the original. I'm kinda conflicted with this one ... :eh: They hype these movies up to be something spectacular and they never are. Quick money grab and on to the next remake. I just spare myself the disappointment. Yeah, It's entertainment but IT"S THE LION KING!! LEAVE IT ALONE :quiet: !

JustDucky (132308143)
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 4181
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby JustDucky (132308143) » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:55 am

Hakuna Matata :smug:

JustDucky (132308143)
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 4181