Data Privacy

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:26 am

I have a few questions about data privacy. I was talking to my sainted mother and was frightened about how little she understands about what she shares knowingly and unknowingly on her phone and computer. Then she made the statement "I've nothing to hide and don't care if they know all my business". So it was my turn to parent my parent. LOL That got me wondering how you guys feel about your personal data. And let me define DATA PRIVACY for you so that we are talking about the same thing.

Data Privacy - The expectation that data about you is kept from anyone you want it kept from. These data include names, addresses, email, wifi use, locations you visit, browser history, medical info, social security #, purchase history, and just about anything that your computer or phone can tell people about you.

How much data privacy do you think you have?

How much data privacy do you expect to have?

How much data privacy do you trade for access to apps?

Do you want me to shut up about data privacy? :haha:
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Allergic2BS (135815676) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

Look into my computer and tell me what you see ;)


Image
Image
User avatar
Allergic2BS (135815676)
YoWorld Level: 259
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 18, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 7136
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: In order for you to insult me.. I must 1st value your opinion.

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Denna (10205906) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:55 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:I have a few questions about data privacy. I was talking to my sainted mother and was frightened about how little she understands about what she shares knowingly and unknowingly on her phone and computer. Then she made the statement "I've nothing to hide and don't care if they know all my business". So it was my turn to parent my parent. LOL That got me wondering how you guys feel about your personal data. And let me define DATA PRIVACY for you so that we are talking about the same thing.

Data Privacy - The expectation that data about you is kept from anyone you want it kept from. These data include names, addresses, email, wifi use, locations you visit, browser history, medical info, social security #, purchase history, and just about anything that your computer or phone can tell people about you.

How much data privacy do you think you have?

How much data privacy do you expect to have?

How much data privacy do you trade for access to apps?

Do you want me to shut up about data privacy? :haha:


Just curious... Have you asked your mother the same question, or did she say: "Shut up Rod"? :D

Well, to be honest, Idk much about my data privacy. My son in law is IT professional, so I let him take care of that stuff... I trust him... For now... LOL :haha:
"Look in the mirror... That's your REAL competition!"
User avatar
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 305
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 10803
Forum Title: YoBeliever
Location: Where is not so easy to reach me...

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Richy (3429282) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

First, thank you very much for saying these data as opposed to this data. My friends all think the word is singular. :(

Also, I've come to assume I virtually have no privacy. What happens, happens, I suppose.
everyone smiles in the same language
User avatar

Richy (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 175
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008
 
Forum Posts: 2846
Forum Title: YoLover

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Richy (3429282) wrote:First, thank you very much for saying these data as opposed to this data. My friends all think the word is singular. :(

Also, I've come to assume I virtually have no privacy. What happens, happens, I suppose.

LOL to be honest I only had to say "this data" once in a college setting to forever be reminded of the plural tense - where data are concerned. :haha: The beating I took for about a month was nothing less than an onslaught.

:haha:
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Queen Mata (13429328) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Nothing is safe if you have an email address or a social media account. Or even a cellphone.

We can try to not sharing our sensible data on our FB wall or at a YW party, but all the info they have gathered from us just by us accepting their TOS and using their services every day is scary. It's scarier that they're making a profit out of it.

Remember Teads?
Et tu, Brute?
Image
User avatar
Queen Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 3517
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Surprise me

Re: Data Privacy

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)
...............................Image
User avatar

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 266
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010
 
Forum Posts: 2562
Forum Title: YoLover
Location: Where The Wild Things Are....

Re: Data Privacy

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 am

Rod (126579776) wrote:
Do you want me to shut up about data privacy? :haha:



yes shut up its terrifying :shocked: :haha:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
User avatar

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012
 
Forum Posts: 3366
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Data Privacy

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 am

FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
User avatar

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012
 
Forum Posts: 3366
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am

FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

FB is not free. A lot of people think it is, but they don't understand that who they are, what they look at, and what they do online is the "currency" FB sells to advertisers. We trade our data for access to FB. As long as a FB account is real (not using an alias), there is no way to stop FB from taking your data. It is part and parcel to the terms of service. We agree to give it up and there is nothing we can do about it except to stop using FB.

And no you are not stupid. Neither is my mother. She thought FB was "free" as well. It is the lie of the internet that stuff is "free". All the "free" apps we put on our phones do the exact same thing. They are taking who you are, where you go, what you buy, and what you look at and selling it to make their money. And even when we "block" some features in the apps, all that usually does is usually silo you off specifically, but your aggregate data is still sold as part of the homogeneous population of users. When you hear the term "big data", this is exactly what it is. Companies love it because it makes targeting their consumer easier.
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 am

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:

Virtual assistants aren't free either. They are even more insidious because of the eavesdropping they have to do in order function. They literally listen to every sound in your home and their AI processes it - constantly. I've heard the same type of stories that people have watched a bunch of beer commercials on TV and suddenly their devices are running beer ads too. I have no doubt these companies listen to everything in our homes and use it in some manner to make them money. I won't ever have one of these and I'm an IT guy. Hell I'm almost ready to go back to an analog flip phone that only does calls and texts. It simply takes too long to figure how to stop the apps or find out that they can't be stopped.

*sigh* :nerd: :shocked:
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks Rod I feel much better now :haha:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
User avatar

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012
 
Forum Posts: 3366
Forum Title: YoAficionado
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Erwyle (187240896) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:


Part of the tos for the facebook mobile app requires you to allow facebook to use your microphone to listen "anonymously" and use the "information" to enhance your facebook experience...

:party:
Image
User avatar

Erwyle (187240896)
YoWorld Level: 308
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 05, 2016
 
Forum Posts: 10910
Forum Title: YoBeliever
Location: Sunny California

Re: Data Privacy

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 am

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:

Well that's scary haha
...............................Image
User avatar

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 266
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010
 
Forum Posts: 2562
Forum Title: YoLover
Location: Where The Wild Things Are....

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 am

Erwyle (187240896) wrote:
TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:


Part of the tos for the facebook mobile app requires you to allow facebook to use your microphone to listen "anonymously" and use the "information" to enhance your facebook experience...

:party:

No wonder I get all those porn ads. :?: :shocked:
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Erwyle (187240896) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:27 am

Rod (126579776) wrote:
Erwyle (187240896) wrote:
TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:


Part of the tos for the facebook mobile app requires you to allow facebook to use your microphone to listen "anonymously" and use the "information" to enhance your facebook experience...

:party:

No wonder I get all those porn ads. :?: :shocked:


On facebook?!! You must have an inside track with Mr Zuckerberg. All I get is kittens and stuff...
:haha: :hug:
Image
User avatar

Erwyle (187240896)
YoWorld Level: 308
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 05, 2016
 
Forum Posts: 10910
Forum Title: YoBeliever
Location: Sunny California

Re: Data Privacy

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 am

Erwyle (187240896) wrote:
Rod (126579776) wrote:
Erwyle (187240896) wrote:
TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

No its not stupid, twice now i've gone to my Dads we've talked about something he's bought (he collects old coins medals) I get home go into FB and the item we were talking about pops up!! I also hate Alexa I swear that B*tch listens and watches the whole time :haha:


Part of the tos for the facebook mobile app requires you to allow facebook to use your microphone to listen "anonymously" and use the "information" to enhance your facebook experience...

:party:

No wonder I get all those porn ads. :?: :shocked:


On facebook?!! You must have an inside track with Mr Zuckerberg. All I get is kittens and stuff...
:haha: :hug:

I know a few FB auditors and they told me that at one point FB was seriously talking with the "adult" industry to create a partitioned FB or an alt-FB for users who wanted a more "enhanced" adult experience. In the end they opted out - and only did so for the kids. They just didn't want the negative pub that would come from becoming a gateway for minors to get to porn. Can you imagine the heat if your mom popped open her account to show you something and you saw ads for dils running up her wall. LOLOLOLOL
Image

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
User avatar
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009
 
Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend
Location: Presiding Over Mayhem & Nonsense

Re: Data Privacy

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 am

Rod (126579776) wrote:
FILTHY (152622928) wrote:Facebook scares me, my feed is full of ads of stuff I've searched for online.
So I'm assuming I have pretty much no data privacy. Can I stop this from happening somehow? If so, I'd like to pass the info on to family and friends because I know this hasn't only been happening to me.
Also, sorry if this is stupid.
Thank you :)

FB is not free. A lot of people think it is, but they don't understand that who they are, what they look at, and what they do online is the "currency" FB sells to advertisers. We trade our data for access to FB. As long as a FB account is real (not using an alias), there is no way to stop FB from taking your data. It is part and parcel to the terms of service. We agree to give it up and there is nothing we can do about it except to stop using FB.

And no you are not stupid. Neither is my mother. She thought FB was "free" as well. It is the lie of the internet that stuff is "free". All the "free" apps we put on our phones do the exact same thing. They are taking who you are, where you go, what you buy, and what you look at and selling it to make their money. And even when we "block" some features in the apps, all that usually does is usually silo you off specifically, but your aggregate data is still sold as part of the homogeneous population of users. When you hear the term "big data", this is exactly what it is. Companies love it because it makes targeting their consumer easier.

Thank you. I had no idea about this, I guess I should have read the tos.
At least I know now and will search for weird crap very often.
...............................Image
User avatar

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 266
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010
 
Forum Posts: 2562
Forum Title: YoLover
Location: Where The Wild Things Are....


Return to General Discussions