Where have You Been?

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: Where have You Been?

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 pm

I was raised in an area so Scot and Irish we didnt have police we had the 48th highlanders and Black Watch on almost every corner So when my Daughter took me to Scotland for fathers day I didnt notice any accents.
Glasgow is much more a party town than Edinburgh Plus it has that great Necropolis which is important as I always go to graveyards theyre a passion

Drank a 24 year old Glenmoragie here The Scotch that began the legend of Highlander since the cousins all killed each other until only 1 had the recipe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INSOMNIA (184182673)
YoWorld Level: 291
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2012

Forum Posts: 3899
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Re: Where have You wandered?

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 pm

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:Interesting thread, Insomnia.

I would say that my favorite place I have ever travelled to was the UK. Simply because of the circumstances. It was my first time ever being out on my own without family. I wandered to wherever interested me. I had gone with my Theater class in high school and I distinctly remember being yelled at by my Drama teacher for wandering throughout the city of Bath on my own when we were supposed to be in groups. The highlight of the trip, for me, was seeing Hampton Court. I'm a big history nut and Anne Boleyn is one of my favorite figures in history. I loved the differing architecture over two different time periods creating the distinct look of the palace. By far my favorite area of the palace was the Chapel Royale, where it's said that Jane Seymour's heart is hidden in a box behind the church panels. :shh: I was unable to see the hedge maze or the gardens and so that is definitely on my list next time I visit.

I have so many places in my head that I dream of travelling to. Ireland, Germany, France, Bran Castle in Romania, Greece, Israel/Palestine, Petra in Jordan, Peru, Indonesia, China, Japan, and more. Long, long list but I've had an itch to explore since before I could speak.

It wasn't just her heart her entrails were taken out and interned in a lead casket.

I didn’t know that. That’s really interesting. I’m so into the Tudor era and the figures of this time. If I could sit down and have a conversation with anyone from history, it would be Anne Boleyn. Hands down.

If you are into Tudor History try reading about the Plantagenets. I found them just as interestiing if not more so. The Wars of the Roses. :hug:

I've read a bit but my knowledge is still limited. Do you have any sources that you recommend? Maybe an interesting documentary or book?
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10313
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:34 am

I would say that my favorite place I have ever travelled to was the UK. Simply because of the circumstances. It was my first time ever being out on my own without family. I wandered to wherever interested me. I had gone with my Theater class in high school and I distinctly remember being yelled at by my Drama teacher for wandering throughout the city of Bath on my own when we were supposed to be in groups. The highlight of the trip, for me, was seeing Hampton Court. I'm a big history nut and Anne Boleyn is one of my favorite figures in history. I loved the differing architecture over two different time periods creating the distinct look of the palace. By far my favorite area of the palace was the Chapel Royale, where it's said that Jane Seymour's heart is hidden in a box behind the church panels. :shh: I was unable to see the hedge maze or the gardens and so that is definitely on my list next time I visit.

I have so many places in my head that I dream of travelling to. Ireland, Germany, France, Bran Castle in Romania, Greece, Israel/Palestine, Petra in Jordan, Peru, Indonesia, China, Japan, and more. Long, long list but I've had an itch to explore since before I could speak.

It wasn't just her heart her entrails were taken out and interned in a lead casket.

I didn’t know that. That’s really interesting. I’m so into the Tudor era and the figures of this time. If I could sit down and have a conversation with anyone from history, it would be Anne Boleyn. Hands down.

If you are into Tudor History try reading about the Plantagenets. I found them just as interestiing if not more so. The Wars of the Roses. :hug:

I've read a bit but my knowledge is still limited. Do you have any sources that you recommend? Maybe an interesting documentary or book?

I've been reading Philippa Gregory for years she writes Historical fiction Mostly based on the Plantagenets and the Tudors but is an actual HIstorian and has a list of all her sources in the back of each book, so for instance I would read her book about Anne Boleyn then research as much as I could myself, I watch every documentary that comes on tv, The BBC has some brilliant Tudor Historians David Starkey and Lucy Worsley amongst others look them up on youtube. I went to Hever Castle where she grew up, Hampton Court and the Tower of London I even took a boat trip down the Thames to Traitors Gate...slightly obsessed haha. One of her books is about Katherine of Aragon so top on my list of places to visit after researching her is the Alhambra Palace in Granada....finding someone to go with is the biggest problem as I like to spend hours walking around soaking it all in haha we need to talk in game I could go on and on :haha:

a few of my books...Most are now on KIndle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 3366

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

8-11 july Hello Long grange and Temple Bar in Dublin

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Turkish Bathes lol Great experience I went in with a couple German Luge Olympians they were a blast!
New Mosque

Aya Sophie form the roof of our BnB

The Black Sea

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Cool stories on travels everyone! I've been fortunate in seeing many places, but more near the U.S. My hubby has seen way more and has been traveling internationally for work 25 years and still going. Unfortunately, I was bringing up our three kids that were little when he traveled more. We tried getting me to accompany him on his Paris trip, but you know, things with kids happen. Together, we have traveled to three areas of Mexico multiple times: Cancun, Cabo San Lucas & Puerto Vallarta. Both sides of Florida: Cocoa Beach & St. Pete Beach. Cruised to Key West, Cozumel & the Bahamas. Drove to Chicago City. Spent a week in St. Lucia 3 years ago. Flown to Vegas a few times. Had NYC planned for a year, then a week prior to departing, my hubby broke his jaw. :'( We have Hawaii booked for next May with our kids and hubby's family for 9 days. Cannot wait...and saving up! Would rather travel to Europe, but his dad really wants to take us to see Pearl Harbor. He's a Vietnam war veteran and war history nut. Maybe Europe will be in our future. Went to Boston & Maine 1.5 years ago in September....totally gorgeous, and the FOOD! :drool: Maine reminded us of the northern part ~going east of our upper peninsula especially the Keweenaw Peninsula area. Yes, we have been to our beautiful U.P many times (avid snowmobilers) and have had annual family reunions on Mackinac Island.

Even after traveling to all the above exotic beach & sun tropical places; the biggest, most important, funnest, most incredible, mind blowing trip of all was when we drove our kids Christmas morning of 2017 via Route 66 from Michigan on a 7 day road trip to see the Grand Canyon. We spent our 1st night in Oklahoma City, 2nd night in Sedona, Arizona; 3rd Grand Canyon; stopped to see Hoover Dam on our way to the 4th night in Vegas; 5th in Moab, Utah after visiting 3 national parks and driving up on the most beautiful highway in the US called Highway 12; driving through Colorado highway 70 to our final 6th night in Omaha which borders Nebraska & Iowa. We drove through 12 states. The landscapes were absolutely breathtaking. Our daughters had their Canon cameras snapping away. I mostly remember that snapping sound........ :haha: Highway 12 was a white knuckler for my hubby with all the twists, turns & no rails driving on narrow roads on top of cliffs thousands of feet up. I really could talk forever about this trip.......it was round trip 4,200 miles in 7 days. Our kids plugged in their head phones...not a single argument. The arguing was mostly between the Captain and the navigator. :haha: Pictures below: The first was taken in Sedona...isn't it gorgeous??? :shocked: Then pics from our helicopter ride in the Grand Canyon showing the Colorado River & what's left of it after it carved the canyon roughly 5-6 million years ago & the rest from the three national parks in Utah of rock formations & arches. The last two are the Landscape & Delicate Arches in Moab...Look very closely at the last one (Delicate)...you can see a person standing underneath it. We didn't have time to hike that 1.5 hour trail so took the 30 minute one and our daughter's Canon was able to get this shot. :D And yes, we seen the Bellagio Fountains, ate sushi & seen an awesome Vegas show while we were there all of 10 hours (6 to sleep haha). My daughter & I went to the top of the Paris tower there for more awesome night light shots! As much fun it was to experience driving into Vegas for the first time versus normally flying...I'd rather fly. :dizzy:

One thing I can say, it took me 3 months of planning. My "go to" was Trip Advisor. We stayed, ate & toured what other trip advisors reviews highly recommended. Did it steer me incorrectly at any time??? NOPE! Thus, after every trip guess what I do? I leave my reviews! :thumbsup: Enjoy the pics! :hug:

ImageImage

"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." Lucille Ball

Check out my Sushi Beach Blvd!
PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506)
YoWorld Level: 372
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 08, 2010

Forum Posts: 4428
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm

"We have Hawaii booked for next May with our kids and hubby's family for 9 days. Cannot wait...and saving up! Would rather travel to Europe, but his dad really wants to take us to see Pearl Harbor. He's a Vietnam war veteran and war history nut. Maybe Europe will be in our future. Went to Boston & Maine 1.5 years ago in September....totally gorgeous, and the FOOD!"

If you can tale pop and choc cause Hawaii is stupid expensive for EVERYTHING I think a coke was 550 in grocery store when I went
and dont be surprised McDonalds and everywhere else sells Spam lol its everywhere Great Snorkeling though

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:54 pm

HALLOWEEN KING (184182673) wrote:"We have Hawaii booked for next May with our kids and hubby's family for 9 days. Cannot wait...and saving up! Would rather travel to Europe, but his dad really wants to take us to see Pearl Harbor. He's a Vietnam war veteran and war history nut. Maybe Europe will be in our future. Went to Boston & Maine 1.5 years ago in September....totally gorgeous, and the FOOD!"

If you can tale pop and choc cause Hawaii is stupid expensive for EVERYTHING I think a coke was 550 in grocery store when I went
and dont be surprised McDonalds and everywhere else sells Spam lol its everywhere Great Snorkeling though

Exactly why we'd prefer Europe...Hawaii in my head is just another tropical destination and we've already seen so many....hubby has been to Europe and wants to see more & finally experience it with me...he's always talking about the wine & food there...and my oldest daughter a year ago went to Berlin & Krakow and also said the FOOD was to die for! :hug:
ImageImage

"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." Lucille Ball

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Well its Europe! No GMO Spanish strawberries real Croissants real coffee real service
It aint Denys

Ive literally never had a bad meal in Europe ...although at a train station in Marrakesh I did have a cheese burger just so i could ask for a royal with cheese!

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 pm

I've been reading Philippa Gregory for years she writes Historical fiction Mostly based on the Plantagenets and the Tudors but is an actual HIstorian and has a list of all her sources in the back of each book, so for instance I would read her book about Anne Boleyn then research as much as I could myself, I watch every documentary that comes on tv, The BBC has some brilliant Tudor Historians David Starkey and Lucy Worsley amongst others look them up on youtube. I went to Hever Castle where she grew up, Hampton Court and the Tower of London I even took a boat trip down the Thames to Traitors Gate...slightly obsessed haha. One of her books is about Katherine of Aragon so top on my list of places to visit after researching her is the Alhambra Palace in Granada....finding someone to go with is the biggest problem as I like to spend hours walking around soaking it all in haha we need to talk in game I could go on and on :haha:

a few of my books...Most are now on KIndle

Thank you for letting me know about Gregory. I've seen most of the documentaries on Netflix about the Tudors and Tudor-related things. I even watched all 4 seasons of the Tudors back in high school and tried to watch Wolf Hall but got ridiculously bored during the first episode.

Hever Castle is on my list of places to see when I go back to the UK. And yes whenever we're online at the same time we definitely need to meet up. :haha: :hug:
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10313
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:56 am

So far I have been to Spain,Hungary,England, France,Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Latvia, Czech as well as NY and TN in the US.
Would love to set foot on at least one country in each continent before I die.
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 441
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 27752
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 am

Lets see Ive been to Trinidad/ Mexico 7x /Venezuela/Barbados
Turkey/Greece/Italy/Spain/Morocco/Portugal/Scotland/Hawaii/
Ireland in 2 weeks.
Id envy you going to Hungary and Czechoslovakia both are on my list

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am

Mizz Libra (136290570) wrote:So far I have been to Spain,Hungary,England, France,Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Latvia, Czech as well as NY and TN in the US.

Your eyes have seen a lot already wowZ! Bet you’ve experienced a lot of mouthwatering cuisines as well. Lucky lady! :hug:
ImageImage

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 am

I once took a road trip to Silver City New Mexico and stayed up in the mountains just outside the Gila National Forest. I knew "of" Indians, but I had never met any prior to this trip. So when I got to Pinos Altos and started hanging about, it was a pleasure to learn about some of North America's original inhabitants. The Gila cliff dwellings were fascinating, and the culture was intricate. And of course no trip I take is complete without diving into foods. And when the diet is largely peppers and wild game meats, this man is happy. Mmmmmm. I'd go back in a second. My favorite trips are the ones with wide open spaces and great food.

:thumbsup: :D

Nice pics Purply!! I have a Grand Canyon trip in as well and it was a blast too!

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby PurPlyAnjelZ XXX (152320506) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am

Rod (126579776) wrote:I once took a road trip to Silver City New Mexico and stayed up in the mountains just outside the Gila National Forest. I knew "of" Indians, but I had never met any prior to this trip. So when I got to Pinos Altos and started hanging about, it was a pleasure to learn about some of North America's original inhabitants. The Gila cliff dwellings were fascinating, and the culture was intricate. And of course no trip I take is complete without diving into foods. And when the diet is largely peppers and wild game meats, this man is happy. Mmmmmm. I'd go back in a second. My favorite trips are the ones with wide open spaces and great food.

:thumbsup: :D

Nice pics Purply!! I have a Grand Canyon trip in as well and it was a blast too!

Very cool Rod!!! Those type of trips are indeed the most memorable!
ImageImage

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 pm

My favorite place will always be home, as nothin' compares to Texas :heart:
I've been to some of the states; Oregon, Missouri, Utah, Oklahoma, Colorado, Idaho, Arkansas, Kansas as I live here for now, and of course my home state Texas :drool:
I've seen mountains and I must say I hate mountains as they make me sick, a ferry boat (Cherokee Queen) and Grand Lake.
Since I was a teenager I've wanted to go to Greece, and Rome to save all the dogs and cats on the streets :heart: Then, I realized Texas has too many on the streets so now I want to go back home... Which I'm currently workin' on :rose:
After one touch, we become obsessed with the rush. Yeah, love is like a rodeo. -Kane
Remember to load your brain before you shoot your mouth off - Old Farmer's Advice

ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: May 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 7847
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby INSOMNIA (184182673) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am

Morocco is Biblical I didnt use camera much as the type of Islam practiced makes it impolite to photograph people

INSOMNIA (184182673)

Postby Richy (3429282) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't been to too many places geographically. One day, when I've got more money and am more settled, I'll definitely take part in that.

I've been hiking in many places in North Carolina. I love to hike, be outside, and explore. I've visited state parks and other areas that are a bit more obscure. I lived in Orlando, FL for many years, so I've done pretty much everything it has to offer as far as attractions. I went jet skiing and parasailing down in south FL. I've spent New Years in NYC before (which was terrifying!) The majority of my family lives in Puerto Rico, so I've been all over the island, which is also where I was born. I took a road trip with some buddies to Washington DC last year and we're going to Hollywood, CA later this year. This New Years, I'll be spending it in Colombia with some family.
everyone smiles in the same language

Richy (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 175
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2846
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Richy (3429282) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Here's one I took

everyone smiles in the same language

Richy (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 175
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2846
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:27 am

Mizz Libra (136290570) wrote:So far I have been to Spain,Hungary,England, France,Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Latvia, Czech as well as NY and TN in the US.

We are lucky to live in Europe we don't have to travel that far to experience a different culture. I'm looking forward to going back to Croatia such a beautiful Country. :hug:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 3366

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions