NEED NOVEL IDEAS

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

NEED NOVEL IDEAS

Postby Sandra Dee (185984832) » Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am

I am preparing a novel for my course Creative Writing next semester.

Anyone can help me out with a unique storyline? :D
Sandra Dee (185984832)
YoWorld Level: 38
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 31, 2014

Forum Posts: 255
Forum Title: YoRegular

Re: NEED NOVEL IDEAS

Postby DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673) » Mon May 27, 2019 11:51 am

What genre
I write short fiction and sci fi

Ahh If its an entire novel youd best write something close to home because the detail will kill you SO a familiar setting characters based on people you know So your not constantly rechecking what you wrote to make sure its fact checked properly
-place you know
-people you know
-ideas your familiar with.

Such as you Dont start writing about two ppl sitting on a bench talking about the stars if your going to have to do research on the stars because your not familiar with them.
Less research and fact checking the better
personally I find first person fiction a loose format
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673)
YoWorld Level: 296
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 03, 2012

Forum Posts: 4795
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Sandra Dee (185984832) » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 am

INSOMNIA (184182673) wrote:What genre

Ahh If its an entire novel youd best write something close to home because the detail will kill you SO a familiar setting characters based on people you know So your not constantly rechecking what you wrote to make sure its fact checked properly
-place you know
-people you know

Such as you Dont start writing about two ppl sitting on a bench talking about the stars if your going to have to do research on the stars because your not familiar with them.

Thank you for the tip! :heart:
I'm actually thinking of plots such as time travel
or a woman who doesn't age and assumed many identities over the decade lol
Sandra Dee (185984832)

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Tue May 28, 2019 1:46 am

Sandra Dee (185984832) wrote:
INSOMNIA (184182673) wrote:What genre

-place you know
-people you know

Thank you for the tip! :heart:
I'm actually thinking of plots such as time travel
or a woman who doesn't age and assumed many identities over the decade lol

Ooooo, those ideas seem interesting!
JeNNy (175442028)
YoWorld Level: 250
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 05, 2011

Forum Posts: 2503
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

A woman learns she is The Sentinel, a being destined to prevent the destruction of the universe, but she must choose between love and destiny......

Harlequin Sci Fi LOL

He is the one who thunders through the heavens yet whispers to our hearts. - Silence & Fury
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 36353
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Heres a snippet of a short story I wrote on time travelers for what its worth

The Haberdashery
He felt a slight soft haze settle about him,
A gentle darkness and the soothing lull of coming sleep
Then a sudden tug from the left….
Now usually one may go a lifetime without ever hearing the word haberdasher outside of old comedy routines.
I would never even have noticed the shop had my wife not mentioned the word that evening.
But now I stood there at the door of the Haberdashery for the third day in a row!
Still the out date sign upon the door before me, now beginning to yellow and curl at the corners.
I’ve no idea why I was compelled to check it each day either. As if I were drawn to the door expecting something...
“Will reopen after holidays June 7th.”
It was now June 26th.I began to wonder if the sign in fact meant holidays beginning or ending June 7th?
When July came, to my astonishment a new sign had replaced it.
“Business moved” and yet my curiosity was only peaked, as the sign did not say where the business had moved.
Now I for reasons completely unknown to myself had taken it upon my shoulders to find the new establishment.
After 2 weeks of driving I’d visited 16.yes 16 haberdashers in this city.
16 haberdashers!
Who the hell ever really used a haberdasher?
This is when I realized over half the shops where moving closed for repair and on holidays.
This seemed too odd to me
I had to extend my search to the next town, if I were to get to the bottom of it.
He felt a slight soft haze settle about him, a gentle darkness and the soothing lull of coming sleep

The jiggle motion of the train was deceptive as to its actual speed,
Outside towns and farms glided by the window at a far pace.
Inside the train Dalsan came to notice the arm of the passenger across from him.
It was out of place, the weave of cloth was old, old and well tailored by hand.
Loomed by hand the cotton blends picked cleaned,
Combed and twisted into the types of cloth used long ago in Europe.
Dalsan also realized he had no reason to know these things nor to think about them,
But now that he had he wondered why he knew them and he felt rather disturbed.
He wondered why he felt out of sorts
Dalsan began to realize that he was indeed on a train
Without any knowledge of where he was coming from or where he was headed.
Daksan looked up at the man in the old hand tailored suit
Who sat looking right back at him with a sardonic smile and an air of quiet dignity.
He looked down at his sleeve and picked at a bit of fluff.
He said offhandedly while turning to the window.
“Awareness becomes easier each time, not to worry.”
“Whatever do you mean?” replied Dalsan, to be answered by a sardonic grin.
“The ah…Exchange” he cocked his gaze back to Dalsan
“Exchange?” Dalsan leaned toward the herringbone suited man.
“Yes” the laugh was more guttural.
“My is this your first? Now that would make matters interesting!”
He too leaned in and now the two jiggled as the train speed along
They sat eye to eye and Dalsan then noticed the ‘object’
He stared at it. Right in the center of the suited mans forehead was a small jewel.
It was an opaque teardrop, aqua colored with bits of diamond and gold fleck
Dancing slowly, swirling in some vibrant gel.
Dalsan looked around, he began to feel very out of place, out of sorts,in fact He couldn't remember a time he didnt feel out of sorts.

Different writers have different problems I have no lack of ideas or content I do however lack a strong understanding of grammar stemming form the fact Im dyslexic
I find if you feel like writing or your "in the groove" just go then rewrite spell check fact check...
My sister in law is an editor at Prentice hall and says some writers hand in manuscripts that are barley 4 paragraphs and the editors actually flesh it out until its a book ...

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed May 29, 2019 11:14 am

Nice :thumbsup:

He is the one who thunders through the heavens yet whispers to our hearts. - Silence & Fury
Rod (126579776)

Postby Robyn VIP (8132649) » Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

INSOMNIA (184182673) wrote:Heres a snippet of a short story I wrote on time travelers for what its worth

The Haberdashery
Now usually one may go a lifetime without ever hearing the word haberdasher outside of old comedy routines.
I would never even have noticed the shop had my wife not mentioned the word that evening.
But now I stood there at the door of the Haberdashery for the third day in a row!
Still the out date sign upon the door before me, now beginning to yellow and curl at the corners.
I’ve no idea why I was compelled to check it each day either. As if I were drawn to the door expecting something...
It was now June 26th.I began to wonder if the sign in fact meant holidays beginning or ending June 7th?
“Business moved” and yet my curiosity was only peaked, as the sign did not say where the business had moved.
Now I for reasons completely unknown to myself had taken it upon my shoulders to find the new establishment.
16 haberdashers!
This is when I realized over half the shops where moving closed for repair and on holidays.
I had to extend my search to the next town, if I were to get to the bottom of it.
He felt a slight soft haze settle about him, a gentle darkness and the soothing lull of coming sleep

Inside the train Dalsan came to notice the arm of the passenger across from him.
Dalsan also realized he had no reason to know these things nor to think about them,
Who sat looking right back at him with a sardonic smile and an air of quiet dignity.
He stared at it. Right in the center of the suited mans forehead was a small jewel.
Dalsan looked around, he began to feel very out of place, out of sorts,in fact He couldn't remember a time he didnt feel out of sorts.

Different writers have different problems I have no lack of ideas or content I do however lack a strong understanding of grammar stemming form the fact Im dyslexic
I find if you feel like writing or your "in the groove" just go then rewrite spell check fact check...
My sister in law is an editor at Prentice hall and says some writers hand in manuscripts that are barley 4 paragraphs and the editors actually flesh it out until its a book ...

I very much enjoyed reading this!
Robyn VIP (8132649)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 4155

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed May 29, 2019 4:28 pm

A teenage girl living in a trading outpost on the edge of the galaxy continuously dreams of having lived another life, and through an act of courage finds herself faced with memories she never lived. Her self discovery journey takes her into her past where her parents were never real and her life was not her own. She finds that she was instead artificially "made" to fulfill an ancient prophecy. Her path to training "unlocks" her design and sets her on a path to destroy the evil wizard/warlord and his army of the undead who hold a death grip and death wish on the galaxy.

Rod (126579776)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Wed May 29, 2019 4:35 pm

JK Rowling is actually a time traveling sorceress who uses the Hairy Potter franchise as a conduit to reincarnate John Lennon. :haha:

Rod (126579776)

Postby LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506) » Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 am

INSOMNIA (184182673) wrote:Heres a snippet of a short story I wrote on time travelers for what its worth

The Haberdashery
16 haberdashers!

:shocked: I LUV it Insomnia!!! :love: Ty for sharing! Where can I find the whole story? Also, doesn't shock me that editors do that. I have always wanted to write a book, but haven't given myself time to do it. I've written down the ideas, but haven't followed through. It's on my bucket list and I need to shake things up & make it happen! Ty for the inspiration! :hug:
ImageImage

We're all mature, until someone pulls out some bubble wrap!!!

LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506)
YoWorld Level: 374
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 08, 2010

Forum Posts: 5581
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Rod (126579776) » Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am

The door was open. Doors are never "just open" in this place. It bothered me and it worried me to the point of fear. The things we've done in this lab have consequences. And those consequences are meant to be contained within this facility. But today the possibility that a consequence had made its way outside was now real, and that chilled my spine. The subjects we worked on were not stable. Their abilities were frightening and their mental state was impossible to measure.

We called it "the shimmer". It was found by a deep water team exploring the Mariana Trench. The metallic substance had the physical properties of powdered graphite, but it had a magnetic field and bonded with any carbon based form without hesitation. But perhaps the most disturbing facet of "the shimmer" was that it had intelligence. It "knew" we found it. It "let" us remove it. And worst of all, it leapt at the chance to bond with our first subject. It was horrible. It seeped into the skin and traveled immediately through the cardiovascular system to the brain where it "shimmered" and multiplied, extracting every metal from the host's body and converting it into more shimmer. As it spread through the body it bonded to the nervous system and converted every nerve cell into more shimmer. When it finally opened it's eyes, the human eyes were gone and the sheen of dull metallic orbs took in its prison. As we watched, the shimmer rippled through the subject and it broke free of the restraints. Somehow it "grew" and flew at the wall grasping at the door. The fingers became slivers and slipped into the door cracks as we pressed the button to release the kill poisons into the room. It died slowly, painfully, and stared at our camera shimmering with anger as the life in the subject was removed.

But the shimmer remained. It slid to the floor. And it allowed us to capture it. It is like it knew we would try again and relished the chance. The next iteration was the most frightening because the shimmer took the next subject in the same manner, but instead of escaping it spoke. Not the voice of the subject, but an eerie and hollow sounding voice that left splinters in your mind. It wanted out. It wanted us to help it. It wanted us to join it. When we continued to just study it, it became enraged and we had to kill it again. But in our foolishness we kept trying. And killing it became harder and harder. It would alter each subject to adapt to the different methods we used to kill it.

The open door meant someone was careless......or it was out. I quickly went to the control room to check the monitors. Everything looked normal. The shimmer was in its cage glaring at the camera. Everything was as it should be. I checked my watch. 9:42 pm. When I looked up, the shimmer was gone from the monitor. What had happened? I felt a change in the room. I felt a chill through the floor. I felt the blood in my body press towards the door. It was open again......and things would never be the same...........

Rod (126579776)

Postby LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506) » Thu May 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Mister Sir (126579776) wrote:The door was open. Doors are never "just open" in this place. It bothered me and it worried me to the point of fear. The things we've done in this lab have consequences. And those consequences are meant to be contained within this facility. But today the possibility that a consequence had made its way outside was now real, and that chilled my spine. The subjects we worked on were not stable. Their abilities were frightening and their mental state was impossible to measure.

We called it "the shimmer". It was found by a deep water team exploring the Mariana Trench. The metallic substance had the physical properties of powdered graphite, but it had a magnetic field and bonded with any carbon based form without hesitation. But perhaps the most disturbing facet of "the shimmer" was that it had intelligence. It "knew" we found it. It "let" us remove it. And worst of all, it leapt at the chance to bond with our first subject. It was horrible. It seeped into the skin and traveled immediately through the cardiovascular system to the brain where it "shimmered" and multiplied, extracting every metal from the host's body and converting it into more shimmer. As it spread through the body it bonded to the nervous system and converted every nerve cell into more shimmer. When it finally opened it's eyes, the human eyes were gone and the sheen of dull metallic orbs took in its prison. As we watched, the shimmer rippled through the subject and it broke free of the restraints. Somehow it "grew" and flew at the wall grasping at the door. The fingers became slivers and slipped into the door cracks as we pressed the button to release the kill poisons into the room. It died slowly, painfully, and stared at our camera shimmering with anger as the life in the subject was removed.

But the shimmer remained. It slid to the floor. And it allowed us to capture it. It is like it knew we would try again and relished the chance. The next iteration was the most frightening because the shimmer took the next subject in the same manner, but instead of escaping it spoke. Not the voice of the subject, but an eerie and hollow sounding voice that left splinters in your mind. It wanted out. It wanted us to help it. It wanted us to join it. When we continued to just study it, it became enraged and we had to kill it again. But in our foolishness we kept trying. And killing it became harder and harder. It would alter each subject to adapt to the different methods we used to kill it.

The open door meant someone was careless......or it was out. I quickly went to the control room to check the monitors. Everything looked normal. The shimmer was in its cage glaring at the camera. Everything was as it should be. I checked my watch. 9:42 pm. When I looked up, the shimmer was gone from the monitor. What had happened? I felt a change in the room. I felt a chill through the floor. I felt the blood in my body press towards the door. It was open again......and things would never be the same...........

You've become the Shimmer! :D Good read........liked it Rod! :nerd: :thumbsup: Now don't come near me please! :haha: I like my brown eyes just fine. :D
ImageImage

We're all mature, until someone pulls out some bubble wrap!!!

LadyJaJaZ XXX (152320506)
YoWorld Level: 374
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 08, 2010

Forum Posts: 5581
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Sandra Dee (185984832) » Fri May 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you for the very brilliant ideas guys! I so much appreciate <3
Sandra Dee (185984832)

Postby JulieHootieScraps (108384802) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 am

Wowie, Insomnia & Rod -- I loved both short stories!
ImageImage
*You don't fool me.* Silence is golden; duct tape is silver.

JulieHootieScraps (108384802)
YoWorld Level: 337
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 14141
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby DADDYKINS WINKWINK (184182673) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Postby Frosch (112924068) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

LOL your name reminds me of that character from Grease....

'Look at me i'm Sandra Dee.....'

:haha: :haha:
Frosch (112924068)
YoWorld Level: 197
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 228
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Return to General Discussions