Cultured Meat?

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Cultured Meat?

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:08 am

Over the past few months, I have been researching and writing about the topic of factory farming and it's effects on the planet as well as the overwhelming amount of unethical behavior surrounding the industry for college papers.

One topic in particular that I have been reading about a lot is Cultured Meat and the benefits that it could have on the Earth, the wellbeing of animals, and our health.

For anyone who does not know, cultured meat is meat that is grown in a lab by removing cells from a living animal in a way that does not harm him or her. The cells are grown over a period of time to develop into meat. They have done this with chicken, beef, pork, lamb and even fish! It tastes and has the same texture as the meat that you are used to because it literally is the same exact meat. It's meat that can be sold and eaten without slaughtering an animal. So you can literally have your bacon and eat it too.

My question is, given the choice, would you ever choose to eat cultured meat over regular meat? Why or why not?
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 12010
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Re: Cultured Meat?

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm going to say no, because I'm anemic. Not iron deficient, but b12. Meat has b12, and I'm still deficient and I can't handle vitamin supplements because I react to the fillers in them. I'm probably going to end up needing vitamin injections, but without meat, I'd probably be dead. So I guess if I end up going the injection route, I can consider it. But I feel deprived as it is.
ImageImage
"I don't want to lubricate that." - Guybrush Threepwood

LisaTM (10095126)
YoWorld Level: 331
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 16825
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby Queen Mata (13429328) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

That's what a teacher called us in HS when she was in a good mood...
Et tu, Brute?

Snitches get stitches
Queen Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 3663
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Queen Mata (13429328) wrote:That's what a teacher called us in HS when she was in a good mood...

:haha:
ImageImage

LisaTM (10095126)

Postby CyberPunK (187030201) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Queen Mata (13429328) wrote:That's what a teacher called us in HS when she was in a good mood...

"We have this giant thermonuclear reactor up in the sky, called the Sun. It's great, shows up every day, very reliable." - Elon Musk
CyberPunK (187030201)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2016

Forum Posts: 8306
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:46 pm

LisaTM (10095126) wrote:I'm going to say no, because I'm anemic. Not iron deficient, but b12. Meat has b12, and I'm still deficient and I can't handle vitamin supplements because I react to the fillers in them. I'm probably going to end up needing vitamin injections, but without meat, I'd probably be dead. So I guess if I end up going the injection route, I can consider it. But I feel deprived as it is.

I'm pretty sure the cultured meat contains B12 in it. I haven't found too much about that yet to confirm or deny.

The reason why it's so hard to obtain B12 naturally in an average human's diet is because soil used to contain copious amounts of B12 before humans completely exploited the soil and stole any B12 that was in it. So almost all plants at one point contained B12. The only reason why meat contains B12 today in cows, chickens, lambs, etc is because of bacterial contamination. Bacteria found in the intestine of the animal is what produces B12 and it is a very insufficient amount. I actually read a study somewhere that found that almost all meat eaters were B12 deficient as opposed to Vegans and Vegetarians who generally take B12 supplements.

Very, very sorry to hear about your anemia and B12 deficiency and wishing you luck getting the issue managed. :heart:
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Taurus (185839344) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:50 pm

I prefer my meat to have a face. I know it's real meat then
I wore my new shoes all day and not 1 person asked me if I could run fast in them....Adulthood is stupid.
Taurus (185839344)
YoWorld Level: 238
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2014

Forum Posts: 8903

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Taurus (185839344) wrote:I prefer my meat to have a face. I know it's real meat then

Cultured meat is real meat though...
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Taurus (185839344) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 pm

MsPhantom (129173078) wrote:
Taurus (185839344) wrote:I prefer my meat to have a face. I know it's real meat then

Cultured meat is real meat though...

we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
I wore my new shoes all day and not 1 person asked me if I could run fast in them....Adulthood is stupid.
Taurus (185839344)
YoWorld Level: 238
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2014

Forum Posts: 8903

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:28 am

LisaTM (10095126) wrote:I'm going to say no, because I'm anemic. Not iron deficient, but b12. Meat has b12, and I'm still deficient and I can't handle vitamin supplements because I react to the fillers in them. I'm probably going to end up needing vitamin injections, but without meat, I'd probably be dead. So I guess if I end up going the injection route, I can consider it. But I feel deprived as it is.

I'm pretty sure the cultured meat contains B12 in it. I haven't found too much about that yet to confirm or deny.

The reason why it's so hard to obtain B12 naturally in an average human's diet is because soil used to contain copious amounts of B12 before humans completely exploited the soil and stole any B12 that was in it. So almost all plants at one point contained B12. The only reason why meat contains B12 today in cows, chickens, lambs, etc is because of bacterial contamination. Bacteria found in the intestine of the animal is what produces B12 and it is a very insufficient amount. I actually read a study somewhere that found that almost all meat eaters were B12 deficient as opposed to Vegans and Vegetarians who generally take B12 supplements.

Very, very sorry to hear about your anemia and B12 deficiency and wishing you luck getting the issue managed. :heart:

It's pretty bad and is in the pernicious family of anemias. They have to test to see if it's autoimmune, but I'm deficient in 2 other vitamins as well. Long story. But I've already been forced to go gluten free, which is hard enough. Giving up meat also would be rough as hell. It's become such a chore to eat because I feel deprived. If I go to a restaurant, sometimes the only thing I can order is a steak or a burger. I can't trust the salads, and when I ask about them they have no clue. Ok, rant over now :haha: :hug: :heart:
ImageImage

LisaTM (10095126)

Postby Queenie (108874167) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:26 am

I used to have a B12 deficiency and got injections for it. It's sorted itself out so thankfully, I don't need them anymore (I hate needles)

I mention this because I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years and never will again and it's done me no harm. Apart from the fact I don't believe in murdering animals and this factory made stuff, I would have no clue if it would be any good and what long term affects it would have on someone eating it. I don't think the Farmers would appreciate it either, they make their living killing their animals

I always knew I was a star and now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - Freddie Mercury

Queenie (108874167)
YoWorld Level: 400
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 15, 2009

Forum Posts: 3454

Postby Robyn VIP (8132649) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

I support farmers and hunters and eat real meat.
Welcome to Sweet Dreams
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h73262949

I carry your heart. ee cummings
Robyn VIP (8132649)
YoWorld Level: 262
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 3969

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:08 pm

Robyn VIP (8132649) wrote:I support farmers and hunters and eat real meat.

:thumbsup:

The factory farming industry that is one of the biggest contributors to climate change and the biggest contributor to the abuse of 50 billion animals annually does not deserve any support, IMO.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Queenie (108874167) wrote:I used to have a B12 deficiency and got injections for it. It's sorted itself out so thankfully, I don't need them anymore (I hate needles)

I mention this because I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years and never will again and it's done me no harm. Apart from the fact I don't believe in murdering animals and this factory made stuff, I would have no clue if it would be any good and what long term affects it would have on someone eating it. I don't think the Farmers would appreciate it either, they make their living killing their animals

The commercialization of lab grown meat will put an end to deforestation on a mass scale as well as put a major dent on greenhouse gas emissions. Factory farming is one of the biggest contributors to climate change and deforestation. With lab grown meat commercialized and ready to buy, we can literally save the Earth!

Of course the meat industry wouldn’t appreciate it. They would no longer get away with cutting down rainforests and abusing billions of animals yearly.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Robyn VIP (8132649) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 am

The factory farming industry that is one of the biggest contributors to climate change and the biggest contributor to the abuse of 50 billion animals annually does not deserve any support, IMO.

In your opinion. IMO cultured meat is as artificial as processed cheese. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Sweet Dreams

Robyn VIP (8132649)

Postby Worm Burper (126579776) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:55 am

I'll be your huckleberry here. I work for a family that runs the 5th largest beef cattle operation on the planet. I've been asked to audit that operation for ANY inhumane or abusive actions at any level during the process - from birth to plate. What I found is that there are a lot of people who look at the killing of anything breathing for food as inhumane. And when people feel that way, nothing any meat producer can do will ever change their mind or convince them otherwise. And that "climate change" fact is just a huge factoid they like to grab onto and use to try to pummel people into submission and guilt for enjoying meat - when agriculture as a whole is more guilty than ranching ever will be about global warming.

What we have are 7 billion people who need to eat. We have a planet that will be unable to feed itself within 50 years based on population growth and current farming tech and fishery depletion. I honestly don't have an answer other than I know that when people start going hungry, they get real testy. Their morality suddenly disappears and survival mode sets in. And when I look at these realities and understand what I do about how the end of this planet is to happen, the food chain breaking down and the poisoning of this planet are both part of that equation.

I'm all for the humane treatment of feedstock animals. But they are and were raised to be food. And we can grow meat in a tube, but at some point when that scales up to feed the masses (if they will even eat it), it will also create environmental problems due to the energy and space and waste it requires. The problem has never been the food.........it is all of us.

:angel:

A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it becomes accepted by a majority.

~ Rick Warren
Worm Burper (126579776)
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 35888
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Robyn VIP (8132649) wrote:

In your opinion. IMO cultured meat is as artificial as processed cheese. :thumbsup:

Factually, the meat is literally produced exactly the same as how flesh is created in the wild. Scientists remove stem cells from an animal and "feed" the cells with protein and carbohydrate to allow the cells to grow and form into muscle cells. The same happens to all living creatures on Earth in the wild. The only difference is that one takes place in a body and one in a lab. The process by which the meat is grown does not differentiate from the natural way.

I do understand that many people have reservations about it. But I think if even a quarter of the population is able to make the switch from traditional agricultural farming to cellular agriculture, it would benefit the planet, the animals, and their own health immensely.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:

I'll be your huckleberry here. I work for a family that runs the 5th largest beef cattle operation on the planet. I've been asked to audit that operation for ANY inhumane or abusive actions at any level during the process - from birth to plate. What I found is that there are a lot of people who look at the killing of anything breathing for food as inhumane. And when people feel that way, nothing any meat producer can do will ever change their mind or convince them otherwise. And that "climate change" fact is just a huge factoid they like to grab onto and use to try to pummel people into submission and guilt for enjoying meat - when agriculture as a whole is more guilty than ranching ever will be about global warming.

What we have are 7 billion people who need to eat. We have a planet that will be unable to feed itself within 50 years based on population growth and current farming tech and fishery depletion. I honestly don't have an answer other than I know that when people start going hungry, they get real testy. Their morality suddenly disappears and survival mode sets in. And when I look at these realities and understand what I do about how the end of this planet is to happen, the food chain breaking down and the poisoning of this planet are both part of that equation.

I'm all for the humane treatment of feedstock animals. But they are and were raised to be food. And we can grow meat in a tube, but at some point when that scales up to feed the masses (if they will even eat it), it will also create environmental problems due to the energy and space and waste it requires. The problem has never been the food.........it is all of us.

:angel:

I was never trying to shame people for enjoying meat. I have meat occasionally when I have no other option. There is nothing inherently wrong with eating meat. Many scientists actually believe that the incorporation of meat into our diets by our hominid-ancestors was what allowed our brains to grow at the accelerated rate that they did.

Not all livestock farms are bad. Family farms and local farms are great. Especially when you are able to purchase your food locally and not financially contribute to global food shipments.

There is no way to feed 7 billion humans ethically when factory farms are in the picture. Factory farms are the biggest cause of deforestation. Livestock takes up a lot of space to raise and the additional soy that needs to be grown in order to feed the livestock takes up a lot of space as well. Not to mention the greenhouse gas emissions associated with factory farming. This method of producing food is very unsustainable and has had it's impacts on the planet.

We all know humans will not give up meat anytime soon. If we can continue to produce meat in labs rather than on factory farms, it will have immense benefits for the planet and for our own well-being. Labs would not take up nearly the amount of space that factory farms do. Labs would not produce greenhouse gas emissions on nearly the same dangerous level that factory farming does. Not to mention the animals that would be saved from lives in cages so small that they are unable to turn around. The meat grown in labels would also be the cleanest meat available as it wouldn't be tainted with illness that runs rampant in factory farms.

It's a win-win situation to me.
MsPhantom (129173078)

Postby Robyn VIP (8132649) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Factually, the meat is literally produced exactly the same as how flesh is created in the wild. Scientists remove stem cells from an animal and "feed" the cells with protein and carbohydrate to allow the cells to grow and form into muscle cells. The same happens to all living creatures on Earth in the wild. The only difference is that one takes place in a body and one in a lab. The process by which the meat is grown does not differentiate from the natural way.

I do understand that many people have reservations about it. But I think if even a quarter of the population is able to make the switch from traditional agricultural farming to cellular agriculture, it would benefit the planet, the animals, and their own health immensely.

Did you ever see the movie "Soylent Green"? :?:
Welcome to Sweet Dreams

Robyn VIP (8132649)

Postby Worm Burper (126579776) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Did you ever see the movie "Soylent Green"? :?:

Now there was a "win-win" solution...... :haha:

A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it becomes accepted by a majority.

~ Rick Warren
Worm Burper (126579776)
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 35888
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Next

Return to General Discussions