Profound images

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: Profound images

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Opening day at Disneyland in 1955:

Construction of the Eiffel Tower:

The Carving of Mount Rushmore:

Titanic survivors boarding the Carpathia:

The dented iceberg that scraped the side of Titanic:

The original Ronald McDonald:

A 1920s swimming mask meant to protect women’s faces from the sun:
Nick Blade (187030201)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2016

Forum Posts: 7440
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Albert Einstein, Summer 1939 Nassau Point, Long Island, Ny

Little Girl With Her Doll Sitting In The Ruins Of Her Bombed Home, London, 1940
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates

Jack laughing about a newspaper article about himself

A Waterless Hoover Dam (1936)

This image of Tagore and Einstein brings geniuses from worlds apart together.

Tagore is greeted by Helen Keller.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Albert Einstein visiting the Grand Canyon, 1922.

Farrokh Bulsara (friends called him Freddie Mercury), 1950.

Ernest Hemingway's passport photo.

Brigitte Bardot and Pablo Picasso.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Queen Elizabeth II, then only a princess, under her military service in 1945.

Michael Jackson as Chaplin.

Barack Obama graduating from high school in 1979.

A soldier leans out of a train window to kiss his girl, 1950.

Louis Armstrong plays for his wife in front of the Sphinx by the pyramids in Giza, 1961.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:35 pm

waves to Nick-great photos! Nice to see ya posting :D

Been through lots in the Real World...In this Game-I got this ;)
JustJo (106622274)
YoWorld Level: 258
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 27159
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:42 am

JustJo (106622274) wrote:waves to Nick-great photos! Nice to see ya posting :D

Thank you Jo. :)
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 am

This little girl saw the photographer approach her so she thought he was leaning in to get food and she offered him hers.

This picture was taken inside one of the refugee camps. Unfortunately, both of her parents died in Syria after an airstrike hit their home, she’s now residing in a camp in Kuwait among 10s of kids her age and some younger who lost their parents as well and will spend the rest of their lives traumatized and miserable, all for what?
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Katherine (121079165) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:07 am

Katherine (121079165)
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 2371
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

This image is of the cast outline of a girl estimated to be in her late teens who died in the Vesuvius eruption at Pompeii. It was weird to be in a room filled with tourists "enjoying" themselves gawking at the residual impression of the end of this woman's life. We are an odd species in how we gravitate towards certain things. It made me ponder why I even chose Pompeii as a destination, but in the end I left Pompeii with an even greater appreciation for the moments we share - NOW. Life is fragile and can end for all of us just as it did for this woman. At any moment we may not get another breath - and making the most out of the ones we do get becomes that much more clear.

Miles Finch - You feeling strong, my friend? Call me "elf" one more time.
Buddy The Elf - He's an angry elf.
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 248
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 28083
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am

Floppy Sausage (126579776) wrote:This image is of the cast outline of a girl estimated to be in her late teens who died in the Vesuvius eruption at Pompeii. It was weird to be in a room filled with tourists "enjoying" themselves gawking at the residual impression of the end of this woman's life. We are an odd species in how we gravitate towards certain things. It made me ponder why I even chose Pompeii as a destination, but in the end I left Pompeii with an even greater appreciation for the moments we share - NOW. Life is fragile and can end for all of us just as it did for this woman. At any moment we may not get another breath - and making the most out of the ones we do get becomes that much more clear.

Happy to see someone else is on their way towards mental destruction.

It appears that the human inside people died, the amount of murder and destruction all over the world made many people unwillingly familiar with death and blood that sometimes i wonder if our true nature is being comfortable with destruction, death, and violence and being otherwise is only a character we put as an act to go through life.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:
Floppy Sausage (126579776) wrote:This image is of the cast outline of a girl estimated to be in her late teens who died in the Vesuvius eruption at Pompeii. It was weird to be in a room filled with tourists "enjoying" themselves gawking at the residual impression of the end of this woman's life. We are an odd species in how we gravitate towards certain things. It made me ponder why I even chose Pompeii as a destination, but in the end I left Pompeii with an even greater appreciation for the moments we share - NOW. Life is fragile and can end for all of us just as it did for this woman. At any moment we may not get another breath - and making the most out of the ones we do get becomes that much more clear.

It appears that the human inside people died, the amount of murder and destruction all over the world made many people unwillingly familiar with death and blood that sometimes i wonder if our true nature is being comfortable with destruction, death, and violence and being otherwise is only a character we put as an act to go through life.

Our desensitization towards the pain, suffering, and tragedy of our neighbors is appalling. Social media has turned the world into a video screen where reality is just another image on the web. We don't know that guy, so it is funny to us....etc etc. But he just wrecked his motorcycle, broke his leg, ruined his life, or much, much worse for our enjoyment.

There is a reason people gravitate towards groups that actually give a damn about people. The world is crying out for someone to actually CARE about them. And we can't care about everyone, so it is a difficult thing to make practical. But we can all care about at least one or two people directly and then work out from there. The problem is that most people can't even muster the courage to care about themselves in ways that matter. Sure they care about the narcissistic things, but they don't care about their character, truth, morality, or beliefs. They only care about what they can SHOW because it feeds the pride monster inside us all.

Oh the things I want to write out now that are definitely against the rules of this forum............ :angel:

Rod (126579776)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Floppy Sausage (126579776) wrote:

Our desensitization towards the pain, suffering, and tragedy of our neighbors is appalling. Social media has turned the world into a video screen where reality is just another image on the web. We don't know that guy, so it is funny to us....etc etc. But he just wrecked his motorcycle, broke his leg, ruined his life, or much, much worse for our enjoyment.

There is a reason people gravitate towards groups that actually give a damn about people. The world is crying out for someone to actually CARE about them. And we can't care about everyone, so it is a difficult thing to make practical. But we can all care about at least one or two people directly and then work out from there. The problem is that most people can't even muster the courage to care about themselves in ways that matter. Sure they care about the narcissistic things, but they don't care about their character, truth, morality, or beliefs. They only care about what they can SHOW because it feeds the pride monster inside us all.

Oh the things I want to write out now that are definitely against the rules of this forum............ :angel:

This reminds me of a Twitter hashtag I read yesterday, it was about a social experiment where a woman actress pretends to have been raped moments ago and goes out on the street asking people for help and telling them what just happened then people's reactions get captured on video and I was stunned seeing how many people didn't giving a damn and some even told her flat out that she must have done something wrong. I took the time to read people's reactions to this and I noticed the most common response to those finding an excuse for rape get told "I hope it happens to you or your family members then you'll know how to sympathize" and that's pretty much it, people sympathize with disastrous incidents when it's convenient for them and when the affected individuals are family, otherwise "who cares?" leave it up for others to worry or be sad about it.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Katherine (121079165) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:31 pm

This reminds me of a Twitter hashtag I read yesterday, it was about a social experiment where a woman actress pretends to have been raped moments ago and goes out on the street asking people for help and telling them what just happened then people's reactions get captured on video and I was stunned seeing how many people didn't giving a damn and some even told her flat out that she must have done something wrong. I took the time to read people's reactions to this and I noticed the most common response to those finding an excuse for rape get told "I hope it happens to you or your family members then you'll know how to sympathize" and that's pretty much it, people sympathize with disastrous incidents when it's convenient for them and when the affected individuals are family, otherwise "who cares?" leave it up for others to worry or be sad about it.

It's a phenomena called "the monkeysphere". I sort of don't have one in that I trouble myself with strangers and it baffles people. I am used to people around me being amazed that I seem to really care about what happened to some stranger. I have tried explaining that we, as a society shouldn't allow things like rape or scamming but they don't seem wired to fully grasp what I mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

http://www.mattbrezina.com/blog/2010/02/social-networks-the-monkey-sphere-and-moores-law-of-human-relationships/

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

Katherine (121079165)

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Katherine (121079165) wrote:

It's a phenomena called "the monkeysphere". I sort of don't have one in that I trouble myself with strangers and it baffles people. I am used to people around me being amazed that I seem to really care about what happened to some stranger. I have tried explaining that we, as a society shouldn't allow things like rape or scamming but they don't seem wired to fully grasp what I mean.

http://www.mattbrezina.com/blog/2010/02/social-networks-the-monkey-sphere-and-moores-law-of-human-relationships/

I was not familiar with "The Monkeysphere" theory until you brought it up so thanks for mentioning it, this will help me with my writings.

Yeah, there's some undeniable validity there, social media or the Internet to be more exact made "Physical Space" become obsolete in order to establish relationships with other people or form an interactions network between a group of people.

Empathetic people tend to get along together in a more accessible fashion than non-empathetic people do because they see the world in a unified inseparable view, but it's nerve-wracking to live that way, to feel involved or saddened by every catastrophic event around the world and some can't help it. I was annoyed by some of my Facebook friends posting blog articles which include pictures of animals being abused by their owners, I wouldn't be reminded by this if it wasn't for this expansion of the communication band but the abuse is happening and would have happened anyway, sometimes we have to force ourselves not to look in order to shield ourselves from dealing with the trauma of viewing material that can potentially damage our view of the world furthermore but this doesn't always work especially if you are an empath, it's not easy at all.
Nick Blade (187030201)

Postby Katherine (121079165) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:24 pm

I was not familiar with "The Monkeysphere" theory until you brought it up so thanks for mentioning it, this will help me with my writings.

Yeah, there's some undeniable validity there, social media or the Internet to be more exact made "Physical Space" become obsolete in order to establish relationships with other people or form an interactions network between a group of people.

Empathetic people tend to get along together in a more accessible fashion than non-empathetic people do because they see the world in a unified inseparable view, but it's nerve-wracking to live that way, to feel involved or saddened by every catastrophic event around the world and some can't help it. I was annoyed by some of my Facebook friends posting blog articles which include pictures of animals being abused by their owners, I wouldn't be reminded by this if it wasn't for this expansion of the communication band but the abuse is happening and would have happened anyway, sometimes we have to force ourselves not to look in order to shield ourselves from dealing with the trauma of viewing material that can potentially damage our view of the world furthermore but this doesn't always work especially if you are an empath, it's not easy at all.

Some catastrophes we MUST look at unblinking! We must stiffen our resolve and look and look well lest we allow another such catastrophe to happen! I am thinking specifically of Chernobyl. A while ago (twenty years?) a journalist went there to do a story but what he saw made him realize he needed to stay longer. He documented the children born to mothers exposed to Chernobyl. It's...profound. It made me shudder but I made myself look and look well (tears going down my face) because I wanted it burned in my memory so I could properly express to the younger ones one day what "Chernobyl" meant. I don't remember his name atm, (Edit: Found it! Paul Fusco!) but I recently tried to find his site with the images and it seems to be down now.

Edit:
Here's a good article about Chernobyl, I still have the book on my read list.
https://www.npr.org/2006/04/21/5355810/voices-of-chernobyl-survivors-stories

I think I found it on the Internet Archive! Try this link if you want to see but steel yourself to look and look well if you open the link.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060502050515/http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmotion/essay_chernobyl/?GT1=8019

Here's another essay by Paul Fusco with him speaking. In the original one I found he's speaking and almost weeping as he says "Chernobyl, it changed my life! It changed my life!"...

https://mediastorm.com/publication/chernobyl-legacy

Edit again: Something I want you all (who are reading this) to ponder. It is a good thing this disaster (Chernobyl) happened in the USSR where people were used to doing what they were told, even though the reward they were promised probably wouldn't come. Just for the chance for a reward for their family, because it would make their life better. Because, if those soldier's hadn't dived into the water at the reactor and drained the cooling pool (or however it is properly called) the reaction would have reached it and the resulting kaboom would have destroyed a LOT of Europe! It could have been so much worse if not for the brave soldiers who did what they were told! If not for the "Green Robots" who shoveled the waste from the room so the sarcophagus could go in place.
Last edited by Katherine (121079165) on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Katherine (121079165)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll hell. Now you two have gon dun it. LOL The only things I love almost as much as science are sociology and psychiatry...........

Mankind was designed to live in perfect immortality. This means in harmony with our environment, each other, and ourselves over eons. When the plan was broken, parts of us remained in that perfect place. We yearn for it. We crave it. It shows up as OCD, high level empathy, and focus issues. Being annoyed by "the broken" is nothing but a perfect mold crying out internally from an imperfect prison. We were designed to "make it right", "render aid", and "be the solution". But in our imperfect state, we no longer retain the ability or resources to do what we were made to do.

*time passes*

The planet has become filled with the imperfect and the broken. Lives are shattered every day. Worlds are torn to bits. People ache, hurt, act out, cry out, hunger, freeze, burn, and decay in a constant state of de-evolution as our imperfections continue to magnify over time. We celebrate the worst parts of ourselves. We make gods out of fools. We allow pride to fill our hearts with hate and shame for the good. Our brokeness continues to spiderweb through our species with unrelenting speed and deadly efficiency. We have become too broken to even care anymore. We have allowed technology to speed this process. And all because we refuse to accept our truth, our failure, and our pain. Pride is still the problem. It always has been.

My advice is still true. Find one person on this planet to start caring about. And if you do not care for yourself, then you must start there. Caring for yourself means making sure you own your time, your thoughts, your emotions, your health, your money, and your things. Do not allow them to own you. Manage them all and make them work for you and not against you. One problem at a time, they must submit to you. Once you have gotten yourself cared for, it is time to build a relationship. One solid relationship you can own from top to bottom. It doesn't matter who you choose. The only caveat is that you will care about them relentlessly and without regard for what they can do for you, how they treat you, or anything that benefits you personally. Speak to them daily. Take time. Give time. Help them with any struggle they face. Be on their team no matter what.

Once you have yourself and one relationship down, stepping into the 2nd and 3rd and 4th relationships is easy. I'd argue our monkeysphere is really 12 relationships for biblical reasons, but someone might yell at me. LOL But if you think you can do 150, by all means make it happen.

We were not meant to travel this solar system alone. We were designed to share the ride. Yet somehow our culture has ominously tried to isolate us all from each other and it continues to ramp up the pressure to be "loners". I refuse it. I won't allow it. And I absolutely will fight for each and every person I can convince to fight for themselves.

:hug:

Rod (126579776)

Postby Katherine (121079165) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Here's an excerpt from the NPR article "Voices of Chernobyl". https://www.npr.org/2006/04/21/5355810/voices-of-chernobyl-survivors-stories

And what about the soldiers who worked on the roof of the reactor? Two hundred and ten military units were thrown at the liquidation of the fallout of the catastrophe, which equals about 340,000 military personnel. The ones cleaning the roof got it the worst. They had lead vests, but the radiation was coming from below, and they weren't protected there. They were wearing ordinary cheap imitation-leather boots. They spent about a minute and a half, two minutes on the roof each day, and then they were discharged, given a certificate and an award -- one hundred rubles. And then they disappeared to the vast peripheries of our motherland. On the roof they gathered fuel and graphite from the reactor, shards of concrete and metal. It took about twenty to thirty seconds to fill a wheelbarrow, and then another thirty seconds to throw the "garbage" off the roof. These special wheelbarrows weighed forty kilos just by themselves. So you can picture it: a lead vest, masks, the wheelbarrows, and insane speed.

In the museum in Kiev they have a mold of graphite the size of a soldier's cap, they say that if it were real, it would weigh 16 kilos, that's how dense and heavy graphite is. The radio-controlled machines they used often failed to carry out commands or did the opposite of what they were supposed to do, because their electronics were disrupted by the high radiation. The most reliable "robots" were the soldiers. They were christened the "green robots" (by the color of their uniforms). Three thousand six hundred soldiers worked on the roof of the ruined reactor. They slept on the ground, they all tell of how in the beginning they were throwing straw on the ground in the tents -- and the straw was coming from stacks near the reactor.

They were young guys. They're dying now too, but they understand that if it wasn't for them… These are people who came from a certain culture, the culture of the great achievement. They were a sacrifice. There was a moment when there existed the danger of a nuclear explosion, and they had to get the water out from under the reactor, so that a mixture of uranium and graphite wouldn't get into it -- with the water they would have formed a critical mass. The explosion would have been between three and five megatons. This would have meant that not only Kiev and Minsk, but a large part of Europe would have been uninhabitable. Can you imagine it? A European catastrophe. So here was the task: who would dive in there and open the bolt on the safety valve? They promised them a car, an apartment, a dacha, aid for their families until the end of time. They searched for volunteers. And they found them! The boys dove, many times, and they opened that bolt, and the unit was given 7000 rubles. They forgot about the cars and apartments they promised -- but that's not why they dove! Not for the material, least of all for the material promises. [Becomes upset.] Those people don't exist anymore, just the documents in our museum, with their names. But what if they hadn't done it? In terms of our readiness for self-sacrifice, we have no equals.

Katherine (121079165)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Katherine (121079165) wrote:Here's an excerpt from the NPR article "Voices of Chernobyl". https://www.npr.org/2006/04/21/5355810/voices-of-chernobyl-survivors-stories

And what about the soldiers who worked on the roof of the reactor? Two hundred and ten military units were thrown at the liquidation of the fallout of the catastrophe, which equals about 340,000 military personnel. The ones cleaning the roof got it the worst. They had lead vests, but the radiation was coming from below, and they weren't protected there. They were wearing ordinary cheap imitation-leather boots. They spent about a minute and a half, two minutes on the roof each day, and then they were discharged, given a certificate and an award -- one hundred rubles. And then they disappeared to the vast peripheries of our motherland. On the roof they gathered fuel and graphite from the reactor, shards of concrete and metal. It took about twenty to thirty seconds to fill a wheelbarrow, and then another thirty seconds to throw the "garbage" off the roof. These special wheelbarrows weighed forty kilos just by themselves. So you can picture it: a lead vest, masks, the wheelbarrows, and insane speed.

In the museum in Kiev they have a mold of graphite the size of a soldier's cap, they say that if it were real, it would weigh 16 kilos, that's how dense and heavy graphite is. The radio-controlled machines they used often failed to carry out commands or did the opposite of what they were supposed to do, because their electronics were disrupted by the high radiation. The most reliable "robots" were the soldiers. They were christened the "green robots" (by the color of their uniforms). Three thousand six hundred soldiers worked on the roof of the ruined reactor. They slept on the ground, they all tell of how in the beginning they were throwing straw on the ground in the tents -- and the straw was coming from stacks near the reactor.

They were young guys. They're dying now too, but they understand that if it wasn't for them… These are people who came from a certain culture, the culture of the great achievement. They were a sacrifice. There was a moment when there existed the danger of a nuclear explosion, and they had to get the water out from under the reactor, so that a mixture of uranium and graphite wouldn't get into it -- with the water they would have formed a critical mass. The explosion would have been between three and five megatons. This would have meant that not only Kiev and Minsk, but a large part of Europe would have been uninhabitable. Can you imagine it? A European catastrophe. So here was the task: who would dive in there and open the bolt on the safety valve? They promised them a car, an apartment, a dacha, aid for their families until the end of time. They searched for volunteers. And they found them! The boys dove, many times, and they opened that bolt, and the unit was given 7000 rubles. They forgot about the cars and apartments they promised -- but that's not why they dove! Not for the material, least of all for the material promises. [Becomes upset.] Those people don't exist anymore, just the documents in our museum, with their names. But what if they hadn't done it? In terms of our readiness for self-sacrifice, we have no equals.

Heroes wear many outfits. Thank you for sharing. :heart:

Rod (126579776)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions