Share your Adoption Stories

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Share your Adoption Stories

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm

I spend most of my time networking animals and some days it seems like it has little to no impact :sad: I've tried to rescue animals off the street found out, I knew nothing when I thought I knew everythin', unfortunately, ACO's around the world don't care, my area was one when a dog was runnin' by the highway almost two years ago help didn't come and unfortunately the dog was hit. I threw everythin' away that day, animal networking, thinkin' I could make it as an animal rescuer. Anyway, I just recently started animal networking back up again and I would love to hear stories about adoption, rescues etc. rescued off the streets, adopted from shelters.
I volunteered at an animal shelter there was this dog that came in scared to death growling at everyone,a worker and I spent most of our time gettin' that dog to trust us, they decided one day they were gonna euthanize that dog I said no and I took her home, had her 6 years before she got old and needed to be put to sleep, by time she walked in the vets office she didn't even growl :heart: I adopted another dog from a shelter that was rescued from a puppy mill, she was just a pup and I've had her 12 years, still have her :heart: I just rescued one off craigslist last year, he was a 4 weeks old and they started to train him for bait. When I first brought him home, he had a major biting issue and for the most part, he doesn't now. He's been a struggle but we are gettin' there :haha: This dog who I named Duke, when I first got him he couldn't eat any dog food, so for a year I made his dog food finally, after a year of searching I was able to find a couple dog foods that work for him. I know for a fact, if I didn't step up for him he'd probably be another homeless animal on the streets because he has so many behavior issues and has a sensitive stomach :silly: :heart:
My first cat was a feral (wild) and I tamed him :heart:
My lab, was rescued by me. The kids beat her and threw her food in the dog kennel, she lived outside 24/7. They finally stopped feedin her, thankfully the neighbors behind her pen feed her and watered her. If she hears a man she'll hover and start growlin (she's never out of my sight when around new people are around and I muzzle her for everyone's safety).
My little Husky mix was also abused, picked her up when I took another rescue dog back from the people were movin and couldn't take em. She's super hyper and gets nervous a lot but loves people.
I'll have to fetch pics of all them :heart:
Let me hear your stories :heart:
Last edited by ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
After one touch, we become obsessed with the rush. Yeah, love is like a rodeo.

ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: May 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 7827
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Re: Share your Adoption Stories

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 pm

I was volunteering at an animal shelter too. I don't know how it goes there in whole world, but here, the adoption protocols are insane. I was sent to few houses for pre-adoption checkup, aside from fact that families needed to state addresses, number of members, names, ages and monthly incomes. Now, I realize you don't want your animal going to someone who wouldn't care for it, but imho, that's just too much and has been brought just recently. That resulted in me abandoning the shelter and drastic decline in adoptions.

I've housed many stray cats over years. Sadly, people here can't come to peace with rodent handling so they toss poison everywhere. So, rodents take those seeds and scatter them over few meters radius range, eat some and leave some for birds to eat, cats hunt those and end up being poisoned. Also, people give zero effs about their driving and run many over.

My lovely is Stripe or Prugica in my language, she is 3 months old now. My neighbor didn't want to keep her and said she will have to get her euthanized but she came to our house and meowed at our doorstep as if she could feel what is about to go down. Of course, the neighbor got her share of scolding for even thinking about something like that.
She likes cuddles, falling leaves, acorns and purring while sticking claws in my fluffy socks.
I guess I've picked up some unnecessary weirdness there, how do I cancel subscription?
ImageImage
My rooms | WTB | Trash can
TL Kira (187264144)
YoWorld Level: 260
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 03, 2016

Forum Posts: 5234
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Nick Blade (187030201) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:41 pm

This is a great thread idea! :thumbsup:
Nick Blade (187030201)
YoWorld Level: 256
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2016

Forum Posts: 8175

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:22 pm

TL Kira (187264144) wrote:I was volunteering at an animal shelter too. I don't know how it goes there in whole world, but here, the adoption protocols are insane. I was sent to few houses for pre-adoption checkup, aside from fact that families needed to state addresses, number of members, names, ages and monthly incomes. Now, I realize you don't want your animal going to someone who wouldn't care for it, but imho, that's just too much and has been brought just recently. That resulted in me abandoning the shelter and drastic decline in adoptions.

I've housed many stray cats over years. Sadly, people here can't come to peace with rodent handling so they toss poison everywhere. So, rodents take those seeds and scatter them over few meters radius range, eat some and leave some for birds to eat, cats hunt those and end up being poisoned. Also, people give zero effs about their driving and run many over.

My lovely is Stripe or Prugica in my language, she is 3 months old now. My neighbor didn't want to keep her and said she will have to get her euthanized but she came to our house and meowed at our doorstep as if she could feel what is about to go down. Of course, the neighbor got her share of scolding for even thinking about something like that.
She likes cuddles, falling leaves, acorns and purring while sticking claws in my fluffy socks.

Over here it's not much better. Agree, with it's too much. Here you go through home checks, vet checks, reference checks, have to provide income too. Honestly, it's why so many sit in shelters, some shelters if the animal is a purebred and not a mixed breed they will charge $500-1,000 :dizzy:
I feed the strays around my house and unfortunately, I didn't know one of the cats had kittens and some dirtbag hit the kitten :'(

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:23 pm

Nick Blade (187030201) wrote:This is a great thread idea! :thumbsup:

I need somethin' to keep pushin' forward and helpin' animals :hug: :thumbsup:

Postby Jewelzz77 (133517584) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm

I have rescued many cats in my lifetime. For the most part, they've showed up at my door, somehow knowing they would find safe haven within. I would show pictures, but right now we have 3 and only one was a planned acquisition to our home. The other two are rescues. I'm one-handed due to shoulder surgery so I'm rather limited. lol
I have also wanted to volunteer at the local no-kill shelter but my health precludes it. However, i am able to make donations as often as possible.

I find it appalling how people are able to abuse and neglect the animals who depend upon them for love and care. I hold the same outrage in regards to the similar treatment of children. Most people are good at heart, I have to believe this to survive, yet the growing number who seem to be purely evil are making this belief more and more difficult.

ELF, I applaud your efforts to do help our furry creatures in so many ways and you and Kira both, please don't become so discouraged that you want to give up the fight. There are many many warriors in this battle.
:cat: :dog :heart: :hug:

Jewelzz77 (133517584)
YoWorld Level: 313
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 07, 2009

Forum Posts: 1552
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:16 pm

JewelzzNTK (133517584) wrote:I have rescued many cats in my lifetime. For the most part, they've showed up at my door, somehow knowing they would find safe haven within. I would show pictures, but right now we have 3 and only one was a planned acquisition to our home. The other two are rescues. I'm one-handed due to shoulder surgery so I'm rather limited. lol
I have also wanted to volunteer at the local no-kill shelter but my health precludes it. However, i am able to make donations as often as possible.

I find it appalling how people are able to abuse and neglect the animals who depend upon them for love and care. I hold the same outrage in regards to the similar treatment of children. Most people are good at heart, I have to believe this to survive, yet the growing number who seem to be purely evil are making this belief more and more difficult.

ELF, I applaud your efforts to do help our furry creatures in so many ways and you and Kira both, please don't become so discouraged that you want to give up the fight. There are many many warriors in this battle.
:cat: :dog :heart: :hug:

Thanks, sometimes it's just overwhelming seeing all the animals in need and not enough homes :sad: Back home has a major stray problem and I'm over 15 hours away :grr I do my best :hug: :heart: I heard this on Houston SPCA tv show one of the investigators said (not word for word) "If I educated just one person, or changed just one animal's life then all my efforts for that day was worth it", that made me rethink everythin' not all animals are the street are savable and I just gotta keep pushin' on :heart: :rose:

Postby JulieHootieScraps (108384802) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I love this thread, Elf, & will post in it with my stories later :hug:
ImageImage
*Passive aggressive siggies are pretentious and exhausting.*

JulieHootieScraps (108384802)
YoWorld Level: 328
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 9738

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:23 am

This is Buddy. They found him abandoned outside of a church when he was about 9 weeks old. The lady who found him couldn't keep him so I took him even though I'm allergic to cats. We don't have adoption shelters or "pounds" here. If people don't claim strays as pets they usually come to a bad outcome and I couldn't see that happening to Buddy. So I have him and just take benedryl everyday lol. By the way, Buddy doesn't like anyone but me so I guess we were made for each other :)

Buddy turned a year old in June and I am happy to report that he is one really happy and healthy (spoiled rotten) :cat: :D

LittleMansMomma (134170617)
YoWorld Level: 338
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 623
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Rain (110294179) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 am

OMG Buddy is sooooo cute. :D

I will come back to post my story tomorrow or something. Too tired right now. :haha:

Thank you to all my wonderful YoWorld friends. You are the reason why I am here and I love you ALL.

Rain (110294179)
YoWorld Level: 367
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 28, 2009

Forum Posts: 7806

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:30 am

LittleMansMomma (134170617) wrote:This is Buddy. They found him abandoned outside of a church when he was about 9 weeks old. The lady who found him couldn't keep him so I took him even though I'm allergic to cats. We don't have adoption shelters or "pounds" here. If people don't claim strays as pets they usually come to a bad outcome and I couldn't see that happening to Buddy. So I have him and just take benedryl everyday lol. By the way, Buddy doesn't like anyone but me so I guess we were made for each other :)

Buddy turned a year old in June and I am happy to report that he is one really happy and healthy (spoiled rotten) :cat: :D

This is too cute! He's a proper beauty... Look at those eyes :love:
Glad you two are happy together. :hug:
I guess I've picked up some unnecessary weirdness there, how do I cancel subscription?
ImageImage
TL Kira (187264144)

Postby Rain (110294179) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:30 am

OMG...Stripe is so cute too. :D

Well, I guess I'm a little biased...I pretty much think all cats are cute. :)

Thank you to all my wonderful YoWorld friends. You are the reason why I am here and I love you ALL.

Rain (110294179)

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 am

LittleMansMomma (134170617) wrote:This is Buddy. They found him abandoned outside of a church when he was about 9 weeks old. The lady who found him couldn't keep him so I took him even though I'm allergic to cats. We don't have adoption shelters or "pounds" here. If people don't claim strays as pets they usually come to a bad outcome and I couldn't see that happening to Buddy. So I have him and just take benedryl everyday lol. By the way, Buddy doesn't like anyone but me so I guess we were made for each other :)

He looks happy :heart: Ha, I have one like that, the last dog I brought home (one I rescued from cragslist) he hates everybody but me :haha: I can't leave the room without 1 either him followin me or 2 him bitin people :dizzy:
Last edited by ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:32 am

Rain (110294179) wrote:OMG...Stripe is so cute too. :D

Same... I meet all qualifications for crazy cat lady. :dizzy: :haha:
ImageImage
TL Kira (187264144)

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:36 am

TL Kira (187264144) wrote:

Same... I meet all qualifications for crazy cat lady. :dizzy: :haha:

I am the crazy cat lady... If I'm one minite late on feedin stray cats I have 5-6 flock my front door :haha: I feed about 20 strays

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:49 am

Hootie JulieScraps (108384802) wrote:I love this thread, Elf, & will post in it with my stories later :hug:

Look forward to it :hug:

Postby JulieHootieScraps (108384802) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:36 pm

TL Kira (187264144) wrote:I was volunteering at an animal shelter too. I don't know how it goes there in whole world, but here, the adoption protocols are insane. I was sent to few houses for pre-adoption checkup, aside from fact that families needed to state addresses, number of members, names, ages and monthly incomes. Now, I realize you don't want your animal going to someone who wouldn't care for it, but imho, that's just too much and has been brought just recently. That resulted in me abandoning the shelter and drastic decline in adoptions.

I love this photo of your cat & she just looks adorable! :hug:
ImageImage
*Passive aggressive siggies are pretentious and exhausting.*

JulieHootieScraps (108384802)
YoWorld Level: 328
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 9738

Postby TL Kira (187264144) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Hootie JulieScraps (108384802) wrote:

I love this photo of your cat & she just looks adorable! :hug:

Right? Look at those tiny feet :love:
I don't want to think how is she feeling right now, I won't be at home as much... sad meow :sad:
ImageImage
TL Kira (187264144)

Postby ELFTexanCowgirl (103681266) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 pm

This be true :haha: :hug:

Postby Rain (110294179) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 pm

It took me a long time to get another cat after my beloved Velcro passed away from old age. But, 3 years later...

I started looking around for a new cat. As it happened, one of my coworkers wanted to re-home her cat because he was freaked out by the new dog (even though the cat was there first, which isn't cool - don't do this!) and so she offered him to me. She said she'd take him back no problem if there was any issue, so I agreed.

Well his name was Percy, a name I hated with a passion. I decided to give him a new name, but I wanted something that sounded similar. By pure coincidence, Yo released an orange and white cat pet on the very same day. At the time, Yo was still being run by Gary Stevenson, so I ended up naming him Gary since that kinda sounded like Percy. Silly I know, but whatever. :haha:

Anyway, almost 3 years later now and we have become the very bestest of buddies. It took him a while to fully get comfy with me, likely because he had been passed around a few times during his life. But I think he's finally realized this is his last stop.

Some of his favourite things are: eating, sleeping, belly rubs, spooning in bed at night, more eating, snacking, eating, etc. :haha:

And here are a few pics:

:D

Rain (110294179)

Next

Return to General Discussions