Survivor 2018 David v Goliath - Let's Chop it Up Here

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: Survivor 2018 David v Goliath - Let's Chop it Up Here

Postby Coulter (180078346) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:34 am

LittleMansMomma (134170617) wrote:I can't help but wonder if Dan would use one of those idols on Christian should his name get floated around for the vote. It's going to be interesting to see how "included" Christian really is lol.

Now THAT would be interesting. From the edit that Christian is getting, it seems like he's going to go really deep into the game. They seem to be using him as sort of a "poster child" for the Davids in terms of the David/Goliath narrative.

Sort of related: I love Christian, but I wish that a girl would win this season. Season 40 has been rumored as an "all winners" season (former winners have posted photos together hashtagging #40), but Jeff has stated that they don't have enough interesting female winners. I'd LOVE if they could do a season like this, so I really want to see some more girls take the million!
Coulter (180078346)
YoWorld Level: 218
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 30, 2011

Forum Posts: 2592
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42 pm

KenBarb (180078346) wrote:
ijOjO uK (109723058) wrote:Wow KenBarb!! We have a real Survivor Expert in our midst! ;) I bow down to your wealth of survivor knowledge at the tips of your fingers :haha:

And now you have explained it so well, I can see why it feels like the merge has come early this season. I had forgotten about the two departures we had so early on. Also adding that whole production element casts the whole merging process in a completely new light. I agree that an early merge definitely gives the weaker perceived players a fairer chance to get further in the game. I had not thought of it like that. Thanks for that added insight. :)

LOL, I'm sort of ashamed. I love social strategy games, though.

I'm kind of torn about the merge coming so early. I feel like with so many people in one tribe, the screentime gets spread too thinly, and I feel that a lot of conversations get omitted from the episode in the interest of time. However, on the flip side, I think that the best merges occur when the two original tribes are neck and neck in terms of numbers; Heroes vs. Villains is my favorite season ever, and they merged 5 vs 5. Anything can truly happen, and it's cool to see how people flip.

Had they not merged this early, what probably would've happened is that we'd see a merge with a greater gap between the Goliaths and Davids with the Goliaths having a severe numbers advantage (in addition to the idols). So all in all, I guess I understand why it happened and I'm looking forward to seeing the first merge episode!

Lol KB, I wouldn't be ashamed!!!. I would love to have that recall ability. Things only stay in my head if they are being paid to stay in there. :haha:

I can't recall the names of my best season without going back and looking at the players, but the seasons I have enjoyed tremendously are the ones with Boston Rob. He was in Heroes v Villains and Redemption Island but cant remember the other 2 seasons without looking it up. I loved the rivalry that played out between he and Russell K. That was epic tv!!

I also have a soft for Sandra DT, although during her last appearance on the show, she came across too arrogant, but being a twice winner of such an epic show could do that to the most humble of us. :haha:

All this makes me wanna go back and rewatch those seasons.
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 10147
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:43 pm

LittleMansMomma (134170617) wrote:I can't help but wonder if Dan would use one of those idols on Christian should his name get floated around for the vote. It's going to be interesting to see how "included" Christian really is lol.

Now THAT would be interesting. From the edit that Christian is getting, it seems like he's going to go really deep into the game. They seem to be using him as sort of a "poster child" for the Davids in terms of the David/Goliath narrative.

Sort of related: I love Christian, but I wish that a girl would win this season. Season 40 has been rumored as an "all winners" season (former winners have posted photos together hashtagging #40), but Jeff has stated that they don't have enough interesting female winners. I'd LOVE if they could do a season like this, so I really want to see some more girls take the million!

Lol... that cracked me up!! Poster child he sure is becoming!!
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby Coulter (180078346) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 pm

ijOjO uK (109723058) wrote:Lol KB, I wouldn't be ashamed!!!. I would love to have that recall ability. Things only stay in my head if they are being paid to stay in there. :haha:

I can't recall the names of my best season without going back and looking at the players, but the seasons I have enjoyed tremendously are the ones with Boston Rob. He was in Heroes v Villains and Redemption Island but cant remember the other 2 seasons without looking it up. I loved the rivalry that played out between he and Russell K. That was epic tv!!

I also have a soft for Sandra DT, although during her last appearance on the show, she came across too arrogant, but being a twice winner of such an epic show could do that to the most humble of us. :haha:

I really like Sandra as well, and I agree that she became a bit overconfident and it bit her in the butt in Game Changers. I personally question whether her second win was warranted. As you probably know, her winning Heroes vs. Villains was very controversial; she essentially only seemed to win because the jury was comprised of a Hero majority, and the heroes were really bitter with Russell/Parvati. I personally think that Parvati should've won and been the first two-time winner, though I realize that's a controversial statement. LOL!

I actually really disliked Redemption Island as a season, but I like how that twist manifested later in Blood vs. Water. I don't typically support allowing an eliminated player to re-enter the game, but it was cool to watch the family members argue and defend each other whenever everyone went to Redemption Island for the duel. LOL.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if you've heard about the Island of Extinction twist for next season? It's confirmed that there will be four returning players: Joe Anglim, Aubry Bracco, Kelley Wentworth, and David Wright. It's alleged that the way the twist will work is that once a player is eliminated, they can choose to either exit the game or go to the Island of Extinction, which will have very minimal resources. The eliminated players who can survive on the Island of Extinction until the merge will be given the opportunity to re-enter the game via a competition. Rather than individual duels, it sounds like this will be one large competition with a winner-takes-all format.

Now here's the crazy rumored part that isn't confirmed: It's also being alleged that this twist will occur again after the Final 5 vote (leaving 4 players left in the game with 1 person from the Island of Extinction returning). Furthermore, if you recall from Redemption Island, if you lost the pre-merge duel to determine who gets back into the game, you immediately went home. People are alleging that this won't be the case this year; even if you lose the "pre-merge" competition to re-enter, you can allegedly stay on the Island of Extinction and compete for the re-entering slot at the final 4.

This means that, in theory, someone could be voted out at the first Tribal Council, remain on the Island of Extinction, lose the first competition to get back in at the merge, continue to stay on the Island of Extinction, and then somehow win the second re-enter competition to get back in at the Final 5 and go on to win the game.

The twist is almost certainly a ploy in favor of the returning players; firstly, production can still capture screentime of these players if they get voted out early by filming on the Island of Extinction. Secondly, it de-incentivizes people to immediately vote out the returning players, as they could easily return.

While I'm not so sure about that second part, it's definitely confirmed that the returning players are coming back and that the Island of Extinction exists. Crazy stuff, right?
Coulter (180078346)
YoWorld Level: 218
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 30, 2011

Forum Posts: 2592
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 am

So, I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't a bit more exciting this past episode. I don't understand why they would get rid of Elizabeth this early in the game. She's not a serious threat like a few of the others are. Maybe I fell asleep part way through the episode and missed something lol. I might have to watch it again and see what happened lol.

LittleMansMomma (134170617)
YoWorld Level: 326
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 532
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 pm

I am speechless. I am late in watching this week's episode as I have a confession to make. :haha:
After posting earlier this week about the Heros v Villians season I spent the last two days binge watching that season and only got round to watching this week's episode just now. And what a wasted vote Elizabeth was. Angelina should have been voted out. It begs the question what all that kerfuffle and whispered talks during Tribal Council was about. I mean none of that chitter chatter changed the outcome from what we already knew before going into TC. I am so deflated with this episode especially the scenes before TC. It was like a steady stream of confusion and no idea what the game of survivor is about. I guess that coming from a marathon of an epic season 20, the way the veterans played then, makes these contestants look like children. I miss King Russell, Tyson, Dragon Slayer lol, James, Sandra, Boston Rob, Julia, Parvati so much already :haha:

Anyhow back on focus: it looks like Christian is in trouble next week, I truly hope the David's get a grip and begin cementing their alliances this week. The whole air time that Christian got this week did nothing to bolster his actual game play imo. Yes he makes good TV but is he actually in the game melee :?: We wait and see.

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm

LittleMansMomma (134170617) wrote:So, I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't a bit more exciting this past episode. I don't understand why they would get rid of Elizabeth this early in the game. She's not a serious threat like a few of the others are. Maybe I fell asleep part way through the episode and missed something lol. I might have to watch it again and see what happened lol.

I agree with you totally!! It was a terrible episode and felt just all muddled and messy after the merge. I assure you, you missed nada. Nothing happened to make her a threat :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 pm

ijOjO uK (109723058) wrote:Lol KB, I wouldn't be ashamed!!!. I would love to have that recall ability. Things only stay in my head if they are being paid to stay in there. :haha:

I really like Sandra as well, and I agree that she became a bit overconfident and it bit her in the butt in Game Changers. I personally question whether her second win was warranted. As you probably know, her winning Heroes vs. Villains was very controversial; she essentially only seemed to win because the jury was comprised of a Hero majority, and the heroes were really bitter with Russell/Parvati. I personally think that Parvati should've won and been the first two-time winner, though I realize that's a controversial statement. LOL!

I actually really disliked Redemption Island as a season, but I like how that twist manifested later in Blood vs. Water. I don't typically support allowing an eliminated player to re-enter the game, but it was cool to watch the family members argue and defend each other whenever everyone went to Redemption Island for the duel. LOL.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if you've heard about the Island of Extinction twist for next season? It's confirmed that there will be four returning players: Joe Anglim, Aubry Bracco, Kelley Wentworth, and David Wright. It's alleged that the way the twist will work is that once a player is eliminated, they can choose to either exit the game or go to the Island of Extinction, which will have very minimal resources. The eliminated players who can survive on the Island of Extinction until the merge will be given the opportunity to re-enter the game via a competition. Rather than individual duels, it sounds like this will be one large competition with a winner-takes-all format.

Now here's the crazy rumored part that isn't confirmed: It's also being alleged that this twist will occur again after the Final 5 vote (leaving 4 players left in the game with 1 person from the Island of Extinction returning). Furthermore, if you recall from Redemption Island, if you lost the pre-merge duel to determine who gets back into the game, you immediately went home. People are alleging that this won't be the case this year; even if you lose the "pre-merge" competition to re-enter, you can allegedly stay on the Island of Extinction and compete for the re-entering slot at the final 4.

This means that, in theory, someone could be voted out at the first Tribal Council, remain on the Island of Extinction, lose the first competition to get back in at the merge, continue to stay on the Island of Extinction, and then somehow win the second re-enter competition to get back in at the Final 5 and go on to win the game.

The twist is almost certainly a ploy in favor of the returning players; firstly, production can still capture screentime of these players if they get voted out early by filming on the Island of Extinction. Secondly, it de-incentivizes people to immediately vote out the returning players, as they could easily return.

While I'm not so sure about that second part, it's definitely confirmed that the returning players are coming back and that the Island of Extinction exists. Crazy stuff, right?

I haven't read or heard about this rumours re Island of Extinction. I'm not sure how I feel about the meddling with the ability to come back into the game in this way. It feels contrived just in the way you have outlined it. Redemption Island was a stretch already and I accepted that it added another level of strategy at TC but to add this additional way of getting back in, alarm bells are going off. I agree it must be in respect of returning players but I think it is unfair and what has kept survivor authentic for so long has been the credibility is upholds on being a game not slanted to any given player or tribe. Mmmmmm.... we shall see how this pans out.

And re Sandra's second win I agree wholeheartedly with you. Having just rewatched that season. She only won because the jury were going to die before they voted for Russell or Parvati to win. He, not Sandra or Parvati imo should have won that season which explains why he was so heated up at the reunion show. At least he walked away with America's Vote lol I think Parvati was saved by Russell a lot more than she saved by him during that season. It truly was a fantastic season of Survivor and despite having watched it a couple of times before it was still able to keep me entertained and engaged this time around.

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm ready for this week's episode........ *rubs hands*

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 pm

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :wailing: :wailing: :wailing: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Holy crap!! I did NOT see that coming! Ol' Jeff is reading off the votes and I'm sitting here thinking "if the David's had the foresight to write down someone other than Angelina"..............bahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Gotta love those Davids!! I think this will go down as one of my favorite episodes! :thumbsup: :smug: :trophy: :heart:

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:10 am

OMGGGGGGGGGosh! Now that was a GOOD episode of Survivor.

I wont say who got sent home just yet in case others haven't seen it - but it was a masterful blindside. My heart was beating so fast when Jeff was reading the votes. I was like you LMM, wondering if they had been smart enough to think outside the box!! Loved it and Angelina continues to show her true colours. She better be off next week.

This is what survivor should be about all the time. Christian played that TC so beautifully I am actually now thinking he is my winner!!

Definitely the best episode of this season so far. :haha: :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

If we have another awesome episode like last nights, I might just pass out lol......action at TC!! :phew: :silly: .. I was sweating bullets for a minute there. Thought my heart would jump right out of my chest lol!!! Can't wait for next week!! :D :dizzy:

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Ikr LMM, I cant wait for next week too. We have to keep our hearts in check though.... too much of this and we wont last the end of this season :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Holy cow!! Another AWESOME episode! I laughed :haha: until I cried :wailing: ....When Dan stood up all cocky and grinning to play that idol for himself, I swear I started shouting at Carl!! I really thought Christian was going to play his idol, but when Nick stole the vote I figured it would be a waste to play the idol, especially if Carl was going to take action (not gonna give away too much in case y'all haven't watched yet)...but good golly, go watch it already!! lol It was incredible! GO DAVIDS!! :thumbsup: :heart: :dizzy: :smug:

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 am

Omggggggggggggggg! I stayed up to watch it and literally it just ended.... and my first thought was I hope LMM's has seen this EPIC episode!!! Omggggggggg I am literally heart racing fist pumping right now....I LOVE THE DAVIDS!!!!

Going to go bed now and come back in the morning to post properly :haha:
I just had to see if you had seen it yet :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 pm

So after digesting what happened this week.... I went back to rewatch the episode lol....I began to think I wonder if the producers are giving the Davids a heads up about what the Goliaths are planning.... because the way they played that last episode was a master-piece, and coming from the way they have been playing up until 2 weeks ago, it is incredible that they are pulling off such awesome moves at tribal council.

Mmmmm - the cynical mind wonders.

Dan should never have been so cocky though, has he not watched the show before???? :eh:. The ones who think they have it all sewn up during TC are the ones that usually get their fire snuffed off by the end of the episode :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:34 am

My cynical mind was also in overdrive after watching this episode. I really think they are trying to put serious emphasis on the "brains vs brawn" aspect of things. Usually it is the muscle bound, athletic type who prevails in this game, so it is nice to finally see the brainiacs with an edge. They may not do the greatest at physical challenges (not that they suck at them) but they are definitely holding their own and beating them with strategic playing of advantages. It was really exciting to watch last week and the week before. Now I can only wonder how they will outdo these last two episodes. Are there more advantages to find? Will the David's find them or is this the week the tides turn back in favor of the Goliaths? I'm up for anything as long as it involves Angelina going to the jury (or Mike now...he's kind of plucking my nerves with all his wishy-washy flippity-flopping). We shall see!! Buckle up Survivor brothers and sisters, it's going to be a bumpy ride!! :haha:

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 am

Haha @bumpy ride.... I am hoping for another epic episode tonight (my tomorrow morning lol)

I agree with you LMM, about the emphasis right now....it does make a change that the brawns are getting the upper hand. I hope that is it, with the advantages, I mean, can they top another veto nullifier impact???? The sting wont be the same now that everyone is aware of it. That look on Dan's face - priceless!!!

ijOjO uK (109723058)

Postby LittleMansMomma (134170617) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:24 am

Well, I can't say I am disappointed in the results of tonight's tc's........although I was surprised at the first one, by the end of the evening I was hoping (and cheering) for the second one. He definitely took a wrong turn in my opinion and getting cocky was absolutely his downfall. Good riddance I say. Wasn't a terribly over-exciting evening, but worth the watch. We're starting to see some true colors now....we'll see what happens next week!! :)

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 am

Mhmmm I was delighted and surprised we got a double episode in one week. :thumbsup:

The first TC was on point and I was so pleased that the Davids stuck together for that vote. As I was unsure whether Gabby was about to light up the game prematurely. But common sense prevailed and another Goliath was kicked to the curb.

Carl drank his way to the jury imo. He was so arrogant and in an unpleasant way .... I did laugh at how quickly the moniker of Godfather spread around the camp. He had to go and I am glad that he didn't even see it coming. That will be a lesson for him to reflect on whilst on the jury. Did you notice how shady Alec was being on the jury - his comment about cry me a river was a bit hypocritical bearing in mind he had not long ago been crying himself on the beach front about losing the challenge. There is clearly going to be some tension in that jury camp for the next couple of days :haha:

I was so impressed with Christian this week.... especially in that immunity challenge. To have stayed up there for 6hrs chatting Jeff's ears off should have been given an extra reward. He really can talk for the whole of the USA. :haha:

ijOjO uK (109723058)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions