Death Penalty

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Re: Death Penalty

Postby Richy (3429282) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Renee (108305250) wrote:I believe in the DP IF there is NO DOUBT whatsoever that the person committed the heinous crime they are accused of. IMO, WHY should be feed them 3 times a day. WHY should we provide free medical care? If you believe the way I believe, them dying is not setting them free. ;)
We have soldiers coming back from war that can't get what they need,, but we are going to feed a murderer/rapest/blah blah blah and provide his every need till the day he dies? No........... :evil:

I see what you mean about the setting them free by death thing. Yes I have the same beliefs.

But, I think we as humans don't have the right to choose who dies.

But I respect your opinion.
everyone smiles in the same language

Richy (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 175
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2846
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Sixama (10376278) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:... The family of the victim should be offered the option of applying it. ...

Do you mean the family should decide if the death penalty will be imposed or not?
I believe this is practiced in countries under Islamic Sharia law. Only, the victim's family may choose to spare the criminal's life.

..but you said it yourself, there's 1,000 reasons why this wouldn't work.
.....................~.~.~You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans~.~.~
Sixama (10376278)
YoWorld Level: 211
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 347
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Rod (126579776) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Renee (108305250) wrote:I believe in the DP IF there is NO DOUBT whatsoever that the person committed the heinous crime they are accused of. IMO, WHY should be feed them 3 times a day. WHY should we provide free medical care? If you believe the way I believe, them dying is not setting them free. ;)
We have soldiers coming back from war that can't get what they need,, but we are going to feed a murderer/rapest/blah blah blah and provide his every need till the day he dies? No........... :evil:

There is no debate Miss Renee. :) Your feelings and thoughts are as valid as anyone's. The cost of life without parole is a very pertinent part of the discussion. The person did not consider the cost when they did the deed, so I understand not wanting to keep him breathing until he dies.

I cannot fault those who respect all life, even the life of a death deserving criminal. I believe crimes of this nature deserve to be paid for in like kind by the person who did them. People label it as barbaric, and that is their choice. I see it as more humane than boxing someone up for the rest of their days. Imprisoning is as barbaric as killing them. No one said justice is fair, but it is necessary. All actions have consequences. ;)

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 32867
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Can I just say... its been awesome reading everyone's view on this thread... and
yes Rodd...a little (in fact minuscule ) pat on the back for a starting up a good wholesome debate ( for once ) :lol:
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 10576
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Richy (3429282) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 pm

ijOjO UK (109723058) wrote:Can I just say... its been awesome reading everyone's view on this thread... and
yes Rodd...a little (in fact minuscule ) pat on the back for a starting up a good wholesome debate ( for once ) :lol:

Yes it was interesting reading all the replies

Richy (3429282)

Postby Loie (9730540) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:51 am

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:I cannot fault those who respect all life, even the life of a death deserving criminal. I believe crimes of this nature deserve to be paid for in like kind by the person who did them. People label it as barbaric, and that is their choice. I see it as more humane than boxing someone up for the rest of their days. Imprisoning is as barbaric as killing them. No one said justice is fair, but it is necessary. All actions have consequences. ;)

When I used the word barbaric I was thinking of the electric chair (but even lethal injection can be botched). I agree about imprisonment, that's a whole new topic... it's no free ride.
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 357
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 2736

Postby Rod (126579776) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:53 am

Loie (9730540) wrote:
Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:I cannot fault those who respect all life, even the life of a death deserving criminal. I believe crimes of this nature deserve to be paid for in like kind by the person who did them. People label it as barbaric, and that is their choice. I see it as more humane than boxing someone up for the rest of their days. Imprisoning is as barbaric as killing them. No one said justice is fair, but it is necessary. All actions have consequences. ;)

When I used the word barbaric I was thinking of the electric chair (but even lethal injection can be botched). I agree about imprisonment, that's a whole new topic... it's no free ride.

I'm more than happy you used it. It is barbaric, but I don't see many other options to death or prison. We cannot have a lawful society without consequences for breaking laws. Deciding what those consequences should be is part of our responsibility as citizens. I wish I had a magic wand that would make people stop doing things that lead to crimes, but I don't.

I know a man who killed someone intentionally, has burgled homes, was strung out on heroin, and basically did things that warrant his life as forfeit. He is in his 50s now and has 2 kids and awesome wife and runs his own contracting business. Do people make mistakes? Yes they do. Can people change? Yes they can. But do I think this guy owed society for what he did? Absolutely.

Rod (126579776)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 am

ijOjO UK (109723058) wrote:Can I just say... its been awesome reading everyone's view on this thread... and

Why TY madam. I'll try to maintain these lofty standards. :P

Rod (126579776)

Postby Sixama (10376278) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 am

This made me LOL
But I agree. It's good to see such a controversial topic discussed without ugliness
.....................~.~.~You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans~.~.~
Sixama (10376278)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 am

Sixama (10376278) wrote:

This made me LOL
But I agree. It's good to see such a controversial topic discussed without ugliness

I do understand why peeps get personal, as their feelings are very personal. But we cannot ever understand each other if people are not allowed to talk about how they feel without fear of being run over by those who have differing views. I honestly think that this is a key problem with our planet right now. Too many people think and feel that their one view is the only one that matters and that anyone else who thinks differently is a moron and an enemy. *sigh*

Rod (126579776)

Postby Richy (3429282) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 am

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:
Sixama (10376278) wrote:

This made me LOL

I do understand why peeps get personal, as their feelings are very personal. But we cannot ever understand each other if people are not allowed to talk about how they feel without fear of being run over by those who have differing views. I honestly think that this is a key problem with our planet right now. Too many people think and feel that their one view is the only one that matters and that anyone else who thinks differently is a moron and an enemy. *sigh*

This is true, it happens so much today .. :/

Richy (3429282)

Postby Rod (126579776) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 am

Last night a horrible thing happened in Arizona. A man was executed via lethal injection and instead of taking 10 minutes, the process took 2 hours with the man convulsing, coughing, spasming, and ultimately dying. They say that the drugs being used are not the ones that are normally used because they can't get the ones that they need anymore. That is BS in my book. If you are gonna choose to execute, you gotta have the tools to do it quickly and painlessly. If you don't have them, you stop doing it until you do. It is that simple.

Rod (126579776)

Postby Loie (9730540) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:Last night a horrible thing happened in Arizona. A man was executed via lethal injection and instead of taking 10 minutes, the process took 2 hours with the man convulsing, coughing, spasming, and ultimately dying. They say that the drugs being used are not the ones that are normally used because they can't get the ones that they need anymore. That is BS in my book. If you are gonna choose to execute, you gotta have the tools to do it quickly and painlessly. If you don't have them, you stop doing it until you do. It is that simple.

yeah i heard about that. horrible. i agree with you, they should have postponed.
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 357
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 2736

Postby Richy (3429282) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:Last night a horrible thing happened in Arizona. A man was executed via lethal injection and instead of taking 10 minutes, the process took 2 hours with the man convulsing, coughing, spasming, and ultimately dying. They say that the drugs being used are not the ones that are normally used because they can't get the ones that they need anymore. That is BS in my book. If you are gonna choose to execute, you gotta have the tools to do it quickly and painlessly. If you don't have them, you stop doing it until you do. It is that simple.

That's not right.

Richy (3429282)

Postby King AdamYovillian (136744463) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:01 pm

I think it's best I don't say too much given my very strong opinions on it,but yes.
I think there are some cases where death should be a punishment.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
King AdamYovillian (136744463)
YoWorld Level: 107
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 2006
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Sixama (10376278) » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:46 am

Actually, it's not that simple at all. In fact, it's not the first, but the 4th time this has happened in 2014 alone..

I don't want to go into detail here, but look up Michael Wilson's execution if you can take the gruesome details, or -even worse- Clayton Lockett's in April.
Sixama (10376278)

Postby Richy (3429282) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm bringing this back up because it's an interesting debate and I also think it's interesting to witness the evolution of ideas and one's own perspective. 5 years ago, I was a much different person than I am now and I am also much more educated. Seeing that I have changed, the lens through which I view the world has changed as well, which is why I'd like to amend my original statement.

No. I believe people have done some horrible things, some unimaginable. Those people deserve to be locked up and sent to prison however long they're sentenced.

I still do believe people have done awful things. It's not a matter of belief, though. it's a fact seen through the many crimes that have been committed (which to me, are indeed horrible, but that's how I view them). IMO, they do deserve to go to jail, like I originally mentioned, but now however long they're sentenced. I've come to learn that the justice system in the US is unjust. Ironic, isn't it? Judges imposing unfair sentences (like I said, the lens through which I view things will affect what I deem to be just) and rapes/hate crimes getting less time than drug possession in some cases. Unfortunately, the way it's set up now, there's not much that can be done to standardize rulings, but we need to make sure we are aware of all our internal biases. This is important!! Before sentencing, the case must be looked at the most objective way possible and should be compared to precedents. That being said, I think an emphasis should be on rehabilitation. I realize this is not going to work for everybody, but other countries have implemented such programs successfully. This is why I still don't agree with the death sentence (not to mentioned what others have said about innocent lives being taken). Maybe not because we don't have the right to take a life away (which is what I originally said, but who says we do or don't?), but because we should try to lead someone to a different path than the one they've taken. Rehabilitation has been shown to work rather than pure punishment.

Richy (3429282)

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 pm

This is something that I've constantly debated with myself over for years. I believe that the legal justice system in America is inherently corrupt and unjustice. As long as the death penalty exists in a place where injustice in the legal system is rampant than the death penalty will be used as a vehicle of that injustice.
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10313
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:37 am

The last executions took place in England in 1964. I have divided opinions on the subject and the thought processes of British and Americans on subjects like this i.e Gun laws is so different that I don't think I can get involved in this debate. Interesting to see peoples replies though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 293
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 3366
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby JeNNy (175442028) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:54 am

I don’t think criminals (talking about extreme cases like serial killers or people that committed some brutal crimes) deserve life at all. They’ve taken away poor victims’ lives mercilessly, so why even give them the slightest chance? So I supported the death penalty, but then again... I also feel like life in prison might be more painful for them. But I have mixed feelings again since I don’t want our taxes to be going to them! Why should we spend our precious earned money to feed them and provide them with other necessities for a life time?

My conclusion? I really don’t care as long as those sick people get what they deserve.
JeNNy (175442028)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 05, 2011

Forum Posts: 1083
Forum Title: YoFollower

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions