Death Penalty

For all things non-YoWorld. Forum rules still apply.

Death Penalty

Postby Sir Spurtsalot (126579776) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm

I've been in an ongoing discussion about the use of the death penalty in Texas as a penalty for certain crimes. There are many thought circles around why people are sent to prison and what is the expectation of the justice system. I truly believe in the power of rehabilitative possibilities for some criminals and have witnessed this with my own eyes. But I am also powerfully supportive of justice to the point that I honestly believe death is a fair price to pay for some crimes (only when there is literally no doubt about what was done and who did it).

My question is simple and your answer will be respected by me and hopefully anyone else who comments. This is a truly personal thing for anyone to consider, so I think that there is truly no right or wrong answer.

Do you think the death penalty is an appropriate judgement of any legal justice system?

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Sir Spurtsalot (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 32805
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Re: Death Penalty

Postby Richy (3429282) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm

No. I believe people have done some horrible things, some unimaginable. Those people deserve to be locked up and sent to prison however long they're sentenced. All that said, I don't think the legal system, or anyone, gets to choose who dies because of a crime they committed. It's not right, in my opinion. Life is a gift that shouldn't be taken away
everyone smiles in the same language

Richy (3429282)
YoWorld Level: 175
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 2840
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Sem (653660) » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Personally, I don't mind death penalties for murderers and rapers.
And as much as I'd love to kill all the other criminals who have done major stuff to get rid of their dirt, it wouldn't really be fair to kill them if they didn't truely deserve it..

Those who take lives are the only ones who deserve having their own taken
Sem (653660)
YoWorld Level: 200
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 20, 2008

Forum Posts: 310
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Kim (128393393) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 am

Im from Australia where we don't have the death penalty it was abolished in 1985 - the last person legally executed here was in 1967 . If Australia was to bring it back and there was no doubt about the guilt of a person who committed a horrific crime - then yes - I would be in support of the death penalty being an appropriate judgement passed down by our justice system.

Kim (128393393)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 52
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Monica (142165540) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 am

let the criminals rot in jail! do the crime, do the time. death is just setting them free
Monica (142165540)
YoWorld Level: 229
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 3571
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Jennifer (108689685) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:46 am

I go to work everyday to save lives, not take them.
Never seen the sense in the death penalty... But people love to judge, they love to cry for "justice" even though they too would dirty their own hands, given the right circumstances.....everyday people kill in the name of war, and religion no one ever questions it but it's still murder...... wasn't that long ago when women were proclaimed to be witches and brutalized and burned because it was "justifiable". Seems to me in history every one is all too quick to grab their pitchforks and follow the crowd....it's human nature to get scared and react to a threat....it's sheer madness at times the way humans will and can justify what they do to others.
I know it's not popular to work to see good in the world, to forgive, some may even call it naivety on my part....but I'm ok with that. Always have been, always will be. -Peace my fellow Yo's :)

Jennifer (108689685)
YoWorld Level: 391
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 14, 2009

Forum Posts: 3580

Postby Wasp (12865602) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 am

I'm against the death penalty, even though some hard core criminals have got my blood boiling. They deserve more than a quick end of life ;)
Wasp (12865602)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 02, 2009

Forum Posts: 3783

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 am

It's a hard balancing act to perform when considering whether those that are guilty of the most heinous of deeds should have their lives taken away. Especially when we look back to biblical times when this was a form of punishment that was accepted and practised regularly. However the infallibility of us as a human race makes me feel that this most irreversible of all punishments can not be justified. The remote possibility that maybe just one innocent may mistakenly suffer such a penalty makes me believe that this is not an action we can justify in any circumstances. I have a strong belief in karma and it seems to me that if we can at least make sure we lock up all those that deserve their civil liberties taken away then we should leave the rest to the powerful hands of karma!

She has no favourites and deals out what we deserve regardless of our excuses.
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 10576
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby VER0NiCA (165115265) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 am

I think it varies from what the person actually done.
Personally, I am all for death penalty. Why give them a free meal
everyday, a place to sleep, and such when you could just kill them
right then and there. For those who are rapists, serial killers, and such
those are the ones who deserve it.
(Sorry if this isn't understandable much, just woke up not to long ago :P )
.......................................Image
..........................................Image
...........................................................................Some people feel the rain, others just simply get wet.
VER0NiCA (165115265)
YoWorld Level: 161
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 4688
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby VER0NiCA (165115265) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Also, I think that if there was a death penalty set,
there may be less crimes considering the death penalty
sentence.
.......................................Image
..........................................Image
...........................................................................Some people feel the rain, others just simply get wet.
VER0NiCA (165115265)
YoWorld Level: 161
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 4688
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Adrianna (171425637) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 am

Sem (653660) wrote:Personally, I don't mind death penalties for murderers and rapers.
And as much as I'd love to kill all the other criminals who have done major stuff to get rid of their dirt, it wouldn't really be fair to kill them if they didn't truely deserve it..

Those who take lives are the only ones who deserve having their own taken

+1
To visit me,click on my siggy!
Adrianna (171425637)
YoWorld Level: 46
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 25, 2010

Forum Posts: 1334
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 am

VER0NiCA (165115265) wrote:Also, I think that if there was a death penalty set,
sentence.

POI:
Statistically this isn't true, hence why so many countries abolished the death penalty when it was common place. And if we look at countries where it still exists the crime rates are still comparable to areas where there is no death penalty.
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 10576
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Sir Spurtsalot (126579776) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am

ijOjO UK (109723058) wrote:
VER0NiCA (165115265) wrote:Also, I think that if there was a death penalty set,
sentence.

POI:
Statistically this isn't true, hence why so many countries abolished the death penalty when it was common place. And if we look at countries where it still exists the crime rates are still comparable to areas where there is no death penalty.

These facts are true. The death penalty has never proven to be a deterrent for the crimes towards which it is applied.

I had an interesting idea pop up in one conversation. The family of the victim should be offered the option of applying it. I know this has a 1000 reasons why it won't work, but I do see justice in making the decision theirs. Just a thought.

Postby Loie (9730540) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Jennifer (108689685) wrote:I go to work everyday to save lives, not take them.
Never seen the sense in the death penalty... But people love to judge, they love to cry for "justice" even though they too would dirty their own hands, given the right circumstances.....everyday people kill in the name of war, and religion no one ever questions it but it's still murder...... wasn't that long ago when women were proclaimed to be witches and brutalized and burned because it was "justifiable". Seems to me in history every one is all too quick to grab their pitchforks and follow the crowd....it's human nature to get scared and react to a threat....it's sheer madness at times the way humans will and can justify what they do to others.
I know it's not popular to work to see good in the world, to forgive, some may even call it naivety on my part....but I'm ok with that. Always have been, always will be. -Peace my fellow Yo's :)

ijOjO UK (109723058) wrote:It's a hard balancing act to perform when considering whether those that are guilty of the most heinous of deeds should have their lives taken away. Especially when we look back to biblical times when this was a form of punishment that was accepted and practised regularly. However the infallibility of us as a human race makes me feel that this most irreversible of all punishments can not be justified. The remote possibility that maybe just one innocent may mistakenly suffer such a penalty makes me believe that this is not an action we can justify in any circumstances. I have a strong belief in karma and it seems to me that if we can at least make sure we lock up all those that deserve their civil liberties taken away then we should leave the rest to the powerful hands of karma!

She has no favourites and deals out what we deserve regardless of our excuses.

I agree with the above.

The fact that there are some innocent people put to death is enough reason for me to not support the death penalty.

The other issue that does not sit right with me is that no one should be put in the position of having to administer the death penalty, this would be a very psychologically traumatizing job. Granted there might naturally be a small percentage of sadistic people attracted to working in prisons, the majority of those performing this job would probably be messed up. I don't think as a society we should be supporting a barbaric form of punishment that doesn't deter crimes.

If the death penalty is to remain, I think the electric chair needs to be completely abolished.
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 357
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 2723

Postby Sir Spurtsalot (126579776) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Loie (9730540) wrote:I agree with the above.

The fact that there are some innocent people put to death is enough reason for me to not support the death penalty.

The other issue that does not sit right with me is that no one should be put in the position of having to administer the death penalty, this would be a very psychologically traumatizing job. Granted there might naturally be a small percentage of sadistic people attracted to working in prisons, the majority of those performing this job would probably be messed up. I don't think as a society we should be supporting a barbaric form of punishment that doesn't deter crimes.

If the death penalty is to remain, I think the electric chair needs to be completely abolished.

I am so with you about innocent people not being executed. I have much more stringent rules than most states about who qualifies (beyond a reasonable doubt). There must be evidence of the following for the death penalty to be enforceable in my mind -

1. Evidence that the accused actually was responsible for the death of another. Must be at least 2 eye witnesses, irrefutable DNA linkage, or video evidence.
2. Evidence that the accused maliciously planned and/or performed the murder.

I also know people who are involved in performing executions in Huntsville. They go through extensive psychological profiling both before they get the job and after they are performing them. Any deviations from 'just doing my job' are culled from the group immediately.

This issue still perplexes me though. I can argue both sides of it passionately and I can see justification for either view. Thx for adding your 2 cents!

Postby Richy (3429282) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Hot Rod (126579776) wrote:
I am so with you about innocent people not being executed. I have much more stringent rules than most states about who qualifies (beyond a reasonable doubt). There must be evidence of the following for the death penalty to be enforceable in my mind -

1. Evidence that the accused actually was responsible for the death of another. Must be at least 2 eye witnesses, irrefutable DNA linkage, or video evidence.
2. Evidence that the accused maliciously planned and/or performed the murder.

I also know people who are involved in performing executions in Huntsville. They go through extensive psychological profiling both before they get the job and after they are performing them. Any deviations from 'just doing my job' are culled from the group immediately.

This issue still perplexes me though. I can argue both sides of it passionately and I can see justification for either view. Thx for adding your 2 cents!

I, myself don't see justification for someone put in death row, no matter how serious the crime. It's just better to leave them locked up, instead of freeing them from the misery. I still don't think there should be death penalty.

Richy (3429282)

Postby Wolf (137737463) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:05 pm

The death penalty is legalized murder.

Wolf (137737463)
YoWorld Level: 361
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 29, 2009

Forum Posts: 339

Postby Sixama (10376278) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Wolf (137737463) wrote:The death penalty is legalized murder.

^ This.
I am strongly against the death penalty.
First, it is the murder of another human being, sanctioned by law- which to me is inconceivable.

Secondly -and most importantly- there is absolutely no guarantee that mistakes won't be made, and quite a few have been made. There is always the possibility an innocent person will be put to death. Even if the chances are 1 in a million, they're still too high.
Even if one innocent person in the history of the world is wrongfully convicted, that is still one too many.

Lastly, it doesn't do anything to lower crime rates. That is a proven fact.

It has no place in a society that wants to name itself "civilised".
.....................~.~.~You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans~.~.~
Sixama (10376278)
YoWorld Level: 211
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 347

Postby Richy (3429282) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Sixama (10376278) wrote:
Wolf (137737463) wrote:The death penalty is legalized murder.

^ This.
I am strongly against the death penalty.
First, it is the murder of another human being, sanctioned by law- which to me is inconceivable.

Secondly -and most importantly- there is absolutely no guarantee that mistakes won't be made, and quite a few have been made. There is always the possibility an innocent person will be put to death. Even if the chances are 1 in a million, they're still too high.
Even if one innocent person in the history of the world is wrongfully convicted, that is still one too many.

Lastly, it doesn't do anything to lower crime rates. That is a proven fact.

It has no place in a society that wants to name itself "civilised".

I strongly agree - murder in any way is wrong.

Richy (3429282)

Postby Renee (108305250) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:03 pm

nvm.......I'm staying out of this debate.
Renee (108305250)
YoWorld Level: 320
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 21519
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Next

Return to General Discussions