[ANNOUNCEMENT] The Future of YoWorld Part 3 (Sept. 22, 2020)

Important game and forum information can be found here.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] The Future of YoWorld Part 3 (Sept. 22, 2

Postby PhoeNx (107202317) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:07 am

Any Vikings or anyone to tell me please? What will happen to our already decorated homes or rooms, would it stay as it is when transferred or changed? Here hoping that they will stay how we decorated them!
PhoeNx (107202317)
YoWorld Level: 297
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 02, 2009

Forum Posts: 131
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby SouthernSourNSweet (103681266) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 am

PhoeNx (107202317) wrote:Any Vikings or anyone to tell me please? What will happen to our already decorated homes or rooms, would it stay as it is when transferred or changed? Here hoping that they will stay how we decorated them!

Unfortunately they can't tell us that
Remember to load your brain before you shoot your mouth off - Old Farmer's Advice
Boots on wanna see the bottom of em say somethin

SouthernSourNSweet (103681266)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: May 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 11556
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby FILTHY (152622928) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:51 am

Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) wrote:
Smitten Kitten (136864592) wrote:
Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) wrote:
Leeum (130695460) wrote:
Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) wrote:I think going from Unity to HTML5 was a downgrade.

Agree

A lot of the better PC/online games are made using Unity. I wish I could have been one of the lucky few who tested these new assets and environments that BVG was testing.

I can't lie, the background and detailing was pretty amazing. I think what put everyone off was how much the avatars would need to change to accommodate the new platform. They just didn't feel "YO". I don't know if it is possible to integrate some of the really cool graphics that the Unity platform demonstrated, but it would be pretty awesome to give YoWorld a much needed overhaul.

That's the downside with these tests. BVG released a survey showing us multiple ideas of what the avatars MAY look like, but only a small number of testers got to see this new environment and avatars they were testing. I wish the entire game got to see it, even if we weren't testing it ourselves. Gifs, videos, play-throughs, images of what it looked like would have been enough for me to vote on another survey whether or not it was something I wanted to see expanded upon.

I did get to do the play testing of the new map. Ever play Mini Planet? That's what it reminded me of. What turned me off the most was the constant swaying of the avatar when idle. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with a room full of those.

Thanks for the update!! Thank you for listening! :heart:

FILTHY (152622928)
YoWorld Level: 311
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 10, 2010

Forum Posts: 5542
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby TinkRBell (112682604) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:56 am

Thanks so much for the update !! I'm SO glad BVG listened to players & didn't change the look of our "Yo's" & the look of the game, in general. We :heart: YoWorld, as it is -- many of us have been playing for 10+ years & have a lot of time, effort & money invested in the game. Considering how badly 2020 has sucked, I have been worried about YoWorld's future --- the updates have been a pleasure to read, believe me !! Thanks again & keep the GOOD news coming. :D

TinkRBell (112682604)
YoWorld Level: 353
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 110

Postby PhoeNx (107202317) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:20 am

TexanSouthern (103681266) wrote:
PhoeNx (107202317) wrote:Any Vikings or anyone to tell me please? What will happen to our already decorated homes or rooms, would it stay as it is when transferred or changed? Here hoping that they will stay how we decorated them!

Unfortunately they can't tell us that

:shocked: :wailing: :wailing: :wailing: 298 Homes here and like 280 homes are well decorated! :heartbroken: :heartbroken:
I still hope BVG can save all homes that are already decorated! :'( :'(
PhoeNx (107202317)
YoWorld Level: 297
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 02, 2009

Forum Posts: 131

Postby Kat (106520804) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:33 am

Travis Eley (184909073) wrote:What about modernisation? The game severely needs modernisation, IMO.

I'm fine with the look of the game, it's what makes yo, yo. It's the functionality that needs a major overhaul. Andrew said they are working on fixing things such as layering which was really good to hear. I do hope they are planning on overhauling things like the AH, something that was promised a couple of years ago and then like so many things asked for were put on the back burner. If we can't have yoworld.com back then I hope that they'll upgrade the game enough to have a lot of the features that site
had such as being able to click on something and have it give us the name and if it's still in the game or not and a much easier way to scroll through things like our homes and inventory versus the clunky way it is done now. Also hopefully they'll fix things that have been broken for a long time.

Kat (106520804)
YoWorld Level: 386
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 15, 2016

Forum Posts: 1844
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby StephMarie (129969826) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:08 am

Thank you for the update.

StephMarie (129969826)
YoWorld Level: 302
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 4609
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Mijou (154845093) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:10 am

Tysm for this great update. :thumbsup: :hug: :heart: :party: :balloon:

Mijou (154845093)
YoWorld Level: 368
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 28, 2010

Forum Posts: 772
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Bazzinga (131997510) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 am

Ooh to bad it's not Unity anymore. I was looking forward to that :sad:
I don't really like hmtl5.. but ok I guess o_o

Bazzinga (131997510)
YoWorld Level: 314
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2009

Forum Posts: 2061
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby 1Nik Wish (4411962) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:10 am

Great news.
1Nik Wish (4411962)
YoWorld Level: 260
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 01, 2008

Forum Posts: 515
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby ShaRcoaleyes PT (7767969) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:22 am

During the conversion, will it mess up our currently decorated rooms? because I've worked so hard with all my decorated rooms and i would be devastated because I spent so much time, money and effort doing these rooms.

On a second note, how can I protect all my assets with the assurance that it will be properly turn over. Should I take a picture of all my inventory, yocoins, yocash and send it to Yoworld BVG's email just in case something is missing for documentation purposes?
Click icons below for My Apartment Link, FB Filipino Community Page, FB Personal Page and Hair Trade Center.
ImageImageImageImage

ShaRcoaleyes PT (7767969)
YoWorld Level: 315
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 20, 2009

Forum Posts: 175

Postby Peppermint (123219068) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:56 am

I do hope there will be some interface changes and scaling issues fixed. Although I was looking forward to the unity engine, I suppose I don't mind the shift to HTML5. I just hope for a fresh modern interface soon.
Peppermint (123219068)
YoWorld Level: 128
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 20, 2009

Forum Posts: 59
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Hillbunny (103783869) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am

Thank you for the updates.

Hillbunny (103783869)
YoWorld Level: 344
YoWorld Start Date: May 28, 2009

Forum Posts: 2728
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Uncle Fungus (126579776) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:08 am

Goodness we are a sarcastic and doubtful squad of gamers.....LOL

But in this instance, it is warranted. The unknown is troubling enough, even when we get a confident plan. The wishy washy treatment of this issue has only exacerbated the issue. And outsourcing.......sheesh. I don't care how good the company is, they are going to have show this cowboy something before he will ever rely on that. I've done too many audits where outsourcing development was the root issue of serious risks.

I recognize that delaying the conversion has necessitated the current plan. The cash cow is at risk so we must do all that we can to keep it fed. BVG is suffering from a lack of vision, a proper sense of urgency, and only now are truly understanding and acting on this issue. So yeah, we are a little worried about the great plan. The proof will be in the pudding.

I like the optimism of "early December". I can only imagine they will be milking BVG for cash all through 2021 as they repair broken items and functionality. That's how these shops pay the rent. Delivering solid code that works the first time on a tight timeline is not their forte'. I hope you guys tied a nice bonus payment to them if they can get it done without any bugs. Sometimes that carrot gets them to behave.

But ever the optimist, I want you guys to succeed. I want all my items to look as they do, my rooms to stay the way they are, and the game to function as it does now. Seems like a reasonable list? But we are ever so far away from it happening..........good luck getting off the Death Star......

Be strong but not rude.
Be kind but not weak.
Be humble but not timid.
Be proud but not arrogant.
Uncle Fungus (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 361
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 43141
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 am

I do think BVG had a vision when they were developing the new game through the use of Unity. Without a vision, that playtesting would have never occured. A new environment and new avatars would have never been made available for users to test. Artistically, and aesthetically, they had a vision they wanted. Ultimately, they succumed to the long-time users of their platform.

I appreciate BVG's willingness to listen and negotiate with us, but I've been a tad disillusioned by the community's unwillingness to negotiate in return. Not bashing anybody, not speaking out against anybody's views here. But every idea BVG has had, has been majorly torn down or not given a chance.

Even if the avatars looked and funtioned a little different, even if the map and user interface looked different. BVG made it perfectly clear that their largest intent all along was a successful item transfer. And that they were going to make that dream occur, Unity or not.

By going back the HTML5 route, what have we really accomplished here? Just keeping the same graphics? Cause it seems that item transferring is not yet totally guaranteed, despite the fact that BVG seems confident enough they can pull it off. They're basically trying to transfer this game as is to HTML5. At least, that's what I've gathered from this announcement. With Unity, they were seemingly rebuilding the game from scratch. I would have preferred a new game from scratch, especially since the coding in this game is as ancient as it is. I would have loved new, simpler coding, and a more smoothly-running game. But that's just me.

I think that at the end of the day the biggest focal point of the community was a successful all-item transfer, which could have occured with either Unity or HTML5 (and still doesn't seem to be 100% guaranteed with either). We've gotten used to user interface updates in the past, map updates barely phased us, we could have gotten used to new avatars. So going from Unity to HTML5 was a waste of resources. Cause not only does BVG now have to contract an outside company to help them out with it, but HTML5, in general, is a downgrade from Unity.
Anthony SpaceTime (102235402)
YoWorld Level: 277
YoWorld Start Date: May 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 8087
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Koats (185046372) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:30 am

Well It's disappointing news unity has been abandoned, I felt it would drag Yo into the future. I wish you every success :drink:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. – Albert Einstein

“Truth is like poetry. And most people hate poetry.”

Koats (185046372)
YoWorld Level: 358
YoWorld Start Date: May 18, 2013

Forum Posts: 7136
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: ' Keep your head when all about you are losing theirs'

Postby Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 am

Koats (185046372) wrote:Well It's disappointing news unity has been abandoned, I felt it would drag Yo into the future. I wish you every success :drink:

It is disappointing. :drink:

Postby Carla (109030001) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

Thank you for the update! Relieved to know it will be the same yo we all joined and grew to love! Was so worried it would change enough and not like it anymore! Best news ever!

Carla (109030001)
YoWorld Level: 388
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 17, 2009

Forum Posts: 1114
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby OMG SHOES (2131112) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am

Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) wrote:I do think BVG had a vision when they were developing the new game through the use of Unity. Without a vision, that playtesting would have never occured. A new environment and new avatars would have never been made available for users to test. Artistically, and aesthetically, they had a vision they wanted. Ultimately, they succumed to the long-time users of their platform.

I appreciate BVG's willingness to listen and negotiate with us, but I've been a tad disillusioned by the community's unwillingness to negotiate in return. Not bashing anybody, not speaking out against anybody's views here. But every idea BVG has had, has been majorly torn down or not given a chance.

Even if the avatars looked and funtioned a little different, even if the map and user interface looked different. BVG made it perfectly clear that their largest intent all along was a successful item transfer. And that they were going to make that dream occur, Unity or not.

By going back the HTML5 route, what have we really accomplished here? Just keeping the same graphics? Cause it seems that item transferring is not yet totally guaranteed, despite the fact that BVG seems confident enough they can pull it off. They're basically trying to transfer this game as is to HTML5. At least, that's what I've gathered from this announcement. With Unity, they were seemingly rebuilding the game from scratch. I would have preferred a new game from scratch, especially since the coding in this game is as ancient as it is. I would have loved new, simpler coding, and a more smoothly-running game. But that's just me.

I think that at the end of the day the biggest focal point of the community was a successful all-item transfer, which could have occured with either Unity or HTML5 (and still doesn't seem to be 100% guaranteed with either). We've gotten used to user interface updates in the past, map updates barely phased us, we could have gotten used to new avatars. So going from Unity to HTML5 was a waste of resources. Cause not only does BVG now have to contract an outside company to help them out with it, but HTML5, in general, is a downgrade from Unity.

Koats (185046372) wrote:Well It's disappointing news unity has been abandoned, I felt it would drag Yo into the future. I wish you every success :drink:

Very this.

I was lucky to be able to playtest, and I loved what I saw. As a player who's been here from the beginning, it made me excited for YoWorld's future, for the first time in years. I appreciate the update and BVG's efforts to transfer our items and money, just wish we as a community had been more willing to embrace change.

OMG SHOES (2131112)
YoWorld Level: 300
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 19, 2008

Forum Posts: 1784
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 am

OMG SHOES (2131112) wrote:Very this.

I was lucky to be able to playtest, and I loved what I saw. As a player who's been here from the beginning, it made me excited for YoWorld's future, for the first time in years. I appreciate the update and BVG's efforts to transfer our items and money, just wish we as a community had been more willing to embrace change.

I think the outcome would have been a whole lot different if the rest of the community got to see this test. Even if all we saw was a video of a Viking playing it and walking us through what we were seeing. I think there would have been more users lenient to see it expanded upon, rather than just shooting the idea down flat out. I think having done that approach, would have given BVG the confidence they needed to push forth with Unity. Even if there were changes to make further down the road.

PreviousNext

Return to News