[CONTEST] Fanpage Feature Challenge WEEK 36: 40s NY!

Come to a YoWorld event, or enter an official YoWorld contest!

Re: [CONTEST] Fanpage Feature Challenge WEEK 36: 40s NY!

Postby Viking Amanda » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 am

Entries for this contest are closed.

Wow, guys - this is going to be one of the most difficult contests I've had to judge so far. You knocked it out of the park, as usual!

I'll be back soon to announce the winners! Thank you all so much for participating. :heart:

Viking Amanda
YoWorld Level: 184

Forum Posts: 1447
Forum Title: Follow us: instagram.com/yoworldcommunity/

Postby Heids (119778620) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 am

Oops, I forgot to add in the home link.
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h71581663
Heids (119778620)
YoWorld Level: 255
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 05, 2009

Forum Posts: 29
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby doodler (10729465) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Viking Amanda wrote:Entries for this contest are closed.

Wow, guys - this is going to be one of the most difficult contests I've had to judge so far. You knocked it out of the park, as usual!

I'll be back soon to announce the winners! Thank you all so much for participating. :heart:

Maybe you should double (or more!) the amount of winners! ;)

doodler (10729465)
YoWorld Level: 280
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 636
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Viking Amanda » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm

This was by FAR the most difficult contest to judge. It's clear to me that each and every entrant poured their hearts into their designs and stories... But alas. There can only be 5 winners. :'(

So, without further ado... Let's congratulate these 5 players who have earned themselves 40 YoCash and a spot on our Facebook Fanpage.

Doodler (10729465) wrote:Image

Visit here: https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld?l ... d17201#_=_

TUSCANY (184148760) wrote:It started like any other cool NYC workday. Up in the skyline hauling rivets and iron. The great re industrialisation that began Americas Age of promise. Our sweat dripped as we pulled the great beams across the sky to build the symbols of NYC like brand new teeth in an uneven face they sparkle and shine in the day and glow with fascination by night. The great skyscrapers that made the most famous skyline in the world. There below in the hazy moisture of the city sprawled out the streets of the Big Apple where everyone comes to take a bite of the crisp freshness that rises form the lapping shores of the Atlantic. The Hudson ferry passes by. In NYC something is always happening somewhere, everything is happening everywhere and the energy floats from the vile alleys and palatial hotels to hang half way up the skeleton of the building that we worked on that day like every other day.

The coalesced sounds of horns and instruments drifted up and finally the warning Sirens, we looked to the skies for German or Japanese planes but all was still except the sound from below rumbling until finally bursting into a roar, that is when we realised no one was moving people were standing still, cars blocked intersections trains screeched to a halt all had stopped but the gathering thunder of that noise. Ill never forget the sound of that first cheer, the laughter and sheer human joy floating up with the noise. The reckless beginning of a new age a new hope, and as we sat smiling on the great beams above the city absorbing the emotion of it all, a single piece of something floated by so close that I could reach out and grab it. A torn shred of newspaper a date 8 May 1945.... The War in Europe is Ended! Surrender Is Unconditional; V-E Will Be Proclaimed Today

ROOM LINK https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h17538667

Thank you for the Comp!!

May (110044468) wrote:The New York Tymes 1940s edition

New York visited by Angels?
Byline: May 1940

As an Intrepid 1940s YoReporter, I’ve heard a lot of goings on in the Big Apple, but this week's news has me flipping my wig.

Reports are coming in of a mysterious visitor from across The Pond who calls himself The Doctor. He says he’s here to save us from some stone angels. Yeah, I thought it was bonkers too, but I never blink from a difficult story, so I set out from my swanky New York apartment to investigate. After carefully navigating my new stompers past the hot dog vendors and the kids playing in busted fire hydrants, I turned the corner headed towards my shoe shine guy. I ran smack dab into police yelling “Reach for the sky” to the infamous couple who had knocked off a man in a botched robbery attempt of an antiques store.

After the crooks were hauled off to the big house, I quickly nabbed an interview with the lead flatfoot and headed over for a cuppa joe from Books & Brew, my favorite coffee shop on the East Side, to write up my article before deadline.

Now I was back to finding out about these stone angels. I had to be sure to keep my eyes open for them. I had heard enough reports to know that they were somewhere in my town and I was sure I would run across them sometime.

Meanwhile, I got a hot lead from LotusBlossom PLUSH in Chinatown that a giant reptile was attacking the Brooklyn Bridge. So after stopping for some chinese food, I headed out to investigate. Hey, a girl’s gotta eat you know.

Sure enough, there was a Godzilla like creature on the bridge smashing cars. The police were on the scene already along with surprise, surprise…The Doctor. I got there just in time to get a gander at them managing to fight off the great beast. And so I have another killer-diller story for the paper. But my question is: Who is The Doctor, and will New York continue to see crazy weeks like this one?

Here's my version of New York in the 1940s....

My New York Look Image

Room Link: https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h71476229

Delilah (113622039) wrote:A Day in the Life of a Woman Factory Worker

Room Link: https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h14792433

(One of the many letters of Delilah to William)

Dear William,

I admit that the unlikelihood of your early return has truly gotten my heart devastated. Your reassuring words shall be enough for now though I long to see your beautiful face again. No matter, as long as you are in good health and that you shall not be in harm's way. The delay is nothing.

Darling, I have no complaints about your letters. Tell me the big news, the trivial things, anything that comes into your mind. I will listen. I am glad that you are doing so because my life is quite dismal, with your absence and my miserable job. I live here and work here and there’s nothing else to do but live here and work here. I feel pathetic for grumbling about this slight inconvenience when the battle fronts sounds so much worse.

Dearie me. I don’t recall ever telling you that I’ve gotten a job at the local woodwork factory. Have I? How very silly of me. I was accepted two months ago. I have always wanted to earn for a living but you know that my parents would forbid me. The economic incentives have convinced them to let me work. After all, the demand for women workers skyrocketed because of the war. I know that this is not exactly the kind of job that I initially wanted but it is a paying job that accepts women so I’ll take what I can. Although, it makes me think if the job is worth the suspicious frowns we, women get from our male co-workers and the fact that companies saw our needs as secondary to men’s. I really do hope things get better in the future.

I found myself rambling again about the gender inequalities in this world. Answer me truthfully, my love and I will not ask again. Does this really not put you off even in the slightest bit? I know that I must have asked about this for the hundredth time but with my upbringing, it is quite unusual for me to find a man who does not think of himself as a superior being over the opposite gender and instead encourages my hopes and dreams no matter how far-fetched they may seem. In fact, you are the only person I know who is like that. I must be very lucky to have met you. You always make me feel as though I can do anything I put my mind into. You strengthen me. And I wish to do the same to you. Oh, William. How I miss you so very much. It is so lonely without you but I know that we will soon, but terribly not soon enough, be in each others arms.

Although the war keeps us apart, I believe that fate will eventually bring us back together for there is no deeper and stronger love than ours. It’s only a matter of time. Wait, we must, my darling.
I love you.

Delilah

~I was inspired by Benedict Cumberbatch and Louise Brealey's reading of My Dear Bessie/My Dear Chris in Letters Live. I read Chris & Bessie's story and found that their exchanges were conveniently set at the 1940s so I thought I had to make my own version as well. I must say. I really enjoyed writing this one. :D :heart: ~

Queen SaraLaNuit (165980779) wrote:THE 40s JAZZ CLUB

Voila! I’ve recently overseen the construction and development of a new social venue in town: “Le Club de Jazz de La Nuit”! Today, I opened the doors to this swanky club for the very first time. I tended the bar, greeted the guests, and welcomed our performers for the night. From budding artists that yearned to strum and sing us all harmonious melodies, to the heartbroken fellas that wished to release their frustration and anguish upon the mic and the many YoWorldians in attendance - the range of performances was exceptionally vast, and very much entertaining!

In the 1940's, music styles such as bebop and soul jazz were just becoming popular, and with the change of the times, came a change of the ways in which people indulged themselves in music. Bebop-style performers began to shift the fundamentals of jazz from the danceable music that it was, towards a more challenging "musician's music", they called it. Bebop was not meant to be danced to, but rather listened to, hence the creation of these more petite clubs with small stages.

So of course, as YoWorld travelled back in time to partake in an era of experimental jazz, I just knew we had to open up a jazz club, and hosting it has been a real treat!

VIDEO PROMO: https://www.facebook.com/LaNuitFamily/videos/1465217413564005/
ROOM LINK: https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h71432091

I was truly very moved by many of your stories and designs. Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts 'on paper', so to speak. :heart:

We hope you enjoyed yourselves, and that you'll consider entering future Fanpage Feature Challenges!

Viking Amanda
YoWorld Level: 184

Forum Posts: 1447
Forum Title: Follow us: instagram.com/yoworldcommunity/

Postby doodler (10729465) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Thank you so much. There were so many excellent entries, it really makes me feel privileged for being chosen.

This contest has been the most rewarding Yo experience I have had in all the years I have played. It has encouraged me to think out of the box and let my creative juices flow. I'm looking forward to joining in on more contests in the future.

doodler (10729465)

Postby Linda Williamson (2491260) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Congrats to all the top five, but everyone was a winner because you all did beautiful things with the theme.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

Linda Williamson (2491260)
YoWorld Level: 141
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 06, 2008

Forum Posts: 5
Forum Title: YoNewbie

Postby Layla (113622039) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Oh, wow! I honestly didn't think I stood a chance with all the great entries. Thank you so much! Everyone was very creative with their rooms and stories. I especially enjoyed reading all their stories, gave me a glimpse of what the 40s was like. :heart:
Layla (113622039)
YoWorld Level: 213
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 56

Postby Fermitthekrog YED (1195434) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Congratulations to all the winners, Tuscany I would to acknowledge your room, I love the simplicity of your design and contrast created by your shadowy figures great work.

Fermitthekrog YED (1195434)
YoWorld Level: 303
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 14, 2008

Forum Posts: 6203
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby doodler (10729465) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree. I think Tuscany's design is totally original and moving.

doodler (10729465)

Postby May (110044468) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Thank you so much! :) :hug: This was such a fun contest and I learned so much from reading all the creative stories. And some really beautiful and thoughtful room designs. Congrats to all who entered. Ya'll did great! :thumbsup:

For the rest of the rooms that go with my YoReporters storyline check out the photo album at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=157049
"Bloom Where You are Planted" --Saint Francis de Sales

Dr Who House || Groovy Nature Walk || Amusement Park

May (110044468)
YoWorld Level: 333
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 26, 2009

Forum Posts: 1561
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby Rosalind Bryton (186191461) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:30 am

Congrats to the winners! I've participated in many of the decorating contests, but this was one of my favorites!! Everyone's entry looked amazing. I hope BVG makes a 1920's theme at some time in the near future- the fashion is my favorite.
Rosalind Bryton (186191461)
YoWorld Level: 251
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2015

Forum Posts: 31

Postby TUSCANY (184148760) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:38 am

Thank you so much and congratulations to everyone who entered wonderful designs and writing :hug:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE SCORPIONS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TUSCANY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOBIUS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~INSOMNIA

TUSCANY (184148760)
YoWorld Level: 271
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 27, 2012

Forum Posts: 1296
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby TWI PINK (115272888) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I dont enter often but I love the idea of writing a story to our rooms as that is what i think of when I'm decorating. Congrats to the winners, I enjoyed all the stories and also am alway amazed at how talented some players are in this game. I notice also no drama in this contest, everyone was so polite, no rude remarks, just fun. :thumbsup: I loved the 1940's theme it was different and was amazing to see all the designs that were entered. It was a great theme and hope we get some more new themes in the future just throwing that out their :idea:

TWI PINK (115272888)
YoWorld Level: 328
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 162
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby Nancy (113683590) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 pm

:star: Congrats to the winners! Nice job! :star:

Nancy (113683590)
YoWorld Level: 309
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 2990
Forum Title: YoLover

Re: [CONTEST] Fanpage Feature Challenge WpicturesEEK 36: 40s

Postby Lainie (124009750) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Congrats to all the winners.. and to all who entered. :trophy: Wonderful rooms. :heart:
I love the fact that some entries had a story line which included quite a few rooms and the story was interspersed. A great way to showcase your rooms. I loved reading the stories and the rooms were great.

Lainie (124009750)
YoWorld Level: 294
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 3598
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Starla (9896259) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Congrats to all the winners, they were all lovely! And I especially liked the one with the fancy note writing & different scenes but I wasn't aware we were allowed to enter more than one room?! Guess I have something to look forward to with the next one lol! :D
Starla (9896259)
YoWorld Level: 278
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 129
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby CrazyNWildBaby (186323116) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am

Congrats, everyone!

CrazyNWildBaby (186323116)
YoWorld Level: 314
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 13, 2015

Forum Posts: 967

Postby DJ (109169686) » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm

i cant believe my brooklyn bridge didn't win, all my friends loved it,you said it wasn't about the story! that it was about decorating, im not a writer... congrats to the winners, im just sad i didnt get recognized. owell... chow

DJ (109169686)
YoWorld Level: 344
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 18, 2009

Forum Posts: 1245
Forum Title: YoFollower

Previous

Return to Official YoWorld Events & Contests