Its just sad..

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: Its just sad..

Postby Isla (2518852) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 pm

Pixetta (111757268) wrote:while i do understand that this is an old fashioned theme, i do not understand the actual art or design direction.

I haven't understood the art direction in this game for a while now. I do not care for it.

I am sure a brilliant designer could design "old fashioned" more elegantly than these frumpy designs.

Just my pure speculation here but I think, other than it's extremely helpful to their bottom line, that's possibly why they've been having more designer items this year. I think they do hear us but may not have the resources to spend hours on our outfits and hairs. Enter the designer items. :thumbsup: It has been wonderful to have more of those in the game this year.

I do agree that top hats would get super old for men, especially when there isn't a ton of stuff specially created for them to begin with. It is on point for this theme though.

Isla (2518852)
YoWorld Level: 305
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 07, 2008

Forum Posts: 2442
Forum Title: YoAdmirer

Postby Ashen (127118376) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:51 pm

While i understand it's a 1900's inspired theme this just doesn't justify the same old frumpy looking clothing and horrid basic face cases we got once again.

It's not that hard to make it all look a bit more fresh and sharp with a couple of adjustments to make it significantly more appealing than it does now.

Ironing out the wrinkles in the suit and make it more form fitting, the top hat tilted at an interesting angle and maybe an action where our Yo's would tip the hat in a greeting manner could already make a lot of difference.

It just comes down to a little more creativity and better execution but unfortunately it's lacking here.. and a lot imho.

:phew:
Ashen (127118376)
YoWorld Level: 284
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 06, 2009

Forum Posts: 5990
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby xNVx (129595882) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Jade (136873125) wrote:
xNVx (129595882) wrote:
Jade (136873125) wrote:
Cam (184561840) wrote:Why do we constantly get old fashioned outfits thrown at us? Isnt this a fall theme? I could think of so many beautiful fall items to give us, but we get this repetitiveness that we always get. A big a** hat and even bigger shoes. Its just sad, compare these items to what we used to get and you will be shocked.

The Theme reflects on the Novel of Anne of Green Gables written in 1908, so the clothes are very well suited to this time period!

"Anne of Green Gables is a 1908 novel by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery (published as L. M. Montgomery). Written for all ages, it has been considered a classic children's novel since the mid-20th century. Set in the late 19th century, the novel recounts the adventures of Anne Shirley, an 11-year-old orphan girl, who is mistakenly sent to two middle-aged siblings, Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, who had originally intended to adopt a boy to help them on their farm in the fictional town of Avonlea in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The novel recounts how Anne makes her way through life with the Cuthberts, in school, and within the town." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables

I think what most of us are saying is that no matter what theme the clothes don't seem to change. It could be a 2020 theme and we get top hats.

Nah, I read through the post's and the comments weren't just about Top Hats! This is how people dressed in the early 1900's!

ok :thumbsup:

Always be yourself and don't worry about what others think. Always make sure you surround yourself with people that bring something positive into your life
xNVx (129595882)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 18, 2009

Forum Posts: 5046

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Slacker (126579776) wrote:
Pixetta (111757268) wrote:while i do understand that this is an old fashioned theme, i do not understand the actual art or design direction.

I haven't understood the art direction in this game for a while now. I do not care for it.

I am sure a brilliant designer could design "old fashioned" more elegantly than these frumpy designs.

Great observation. I look at this hat and see "give up" or "rushed". It has like 6 gradients around the stovetop, making it appear blocky like a 16 bit video game. The band has 3 gradients resulting in the same issue. Instead of being seamlessly ombre from front to back, it is what it is. And why the hat's colors don't even match the outfit.......I'll never be able to explain. I normally cast my votes by not buying things, but this one was outrageous enough to be worthy of some criticism.

I do understand the need for speed when creating items. But if they are going to put out stuff that won't sell, why even do it at all? I'd rather get one killer male design a month that I simply MUST HAVE, than 4 of them that are forgettable or worse, repulsive.

It's not that I don't want stuff. I do. I just won't ever want that. It definitely is what it is. :)

yes thank you for understanding my point here. and also the lack of colour coordination is mind boggling...

Pixetta (111757268)
YoWorld Level: 290
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 1047
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:55 pm

Isla (2518852) wrote:

Just my pure speculation here but I think, other than it's extremely helpful to their bottom line, that's possibly why they've been having more designer items this year. I think they do hear us but may not have the resources to spend hours on our outfits and hairs. Enter the designer items. :thumbsup: It has been wonderful to have more of those in the game this year.

I do agree that top hats would get super old for men, especially when there isn't a ton of stuff specially created for them to begin with. It is on point for this theme though.

to me its not the top hat itself, its the way it is designed...

Pixetta (111757268)

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Ashen (127118376) wrote:While i understand it's a 1900's inspired theme this just doesn't justify the same old frumpy looking clothing and horrid basic face cases we got once again.

It's not that hard to make it all look a bit more fresh and sharp with a couple of adjustments to make it significantly more appealing than it does now.

Ironing out the wrinkles in the suit and make it more form fitting, the top hat tilted at an interesting angle and maybe an action where our Yo's would tip the hat in a greeting manner could already make a lot of difference.

It just comes down to a little more creativity and better execution but unfortunately it's lacking here.. and a lot imho.

exactly!

Pixetta (111757268)

Postby xNVx (129595882) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Ashen (127118376) wrote:While i understand it's a 1900's inspired theme this just doesn't justify the same old frumpy looking clothing and horrid basic face cases we got once again.

:trophy:

Always be yourself and don't worry about what others think. Always make sure you surround yourself with people that bring something positive into your life
xNVx (129595882)

Postby DinosaurNerd89 (11877186) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Lippy (185643699) wrote:it would be fun to have an action that could knock those top hats off :love:

*puts one on Lippy, then smacks it off*

Formerly CountryDude89
DinosaurNerd89 (11877186)
YoWorld Level: 208
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 18, 2009

Forum Posts: 22162
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby xXLiSaLiShUsXx (120422896) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Ive been saying this for MONTHS!! I try hard to not complain and just go with the flow and hope for something better to come along but over and over its the same styles of bland and dowdy looks! Just today I was saying are the devs in their 70's or 90's because the looks we get are just... idk.... boring and not attractive! Im 56 and think this stuff is just too bland and need more pizazz! I know this is supposed to be a throwback to way back when to Anne of green gables but.... * sigh *
If you want someone to notice you, be a type-O
Im Pure Michigan
The Original Lisalishus
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h82323030
xXLiSaLiShUsXx (120422896)
YoWorld Level: 343
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 2313

Postby Creepin (126579776) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:49 pm

I'm going to take a shot here at some constructive feedback. Wish me luck! LOL

The question is how do we get from what we are seeing pretty regularly to something better? Because we've seen it all before, this becomes especially tough. But while it can be tough, it is not impossible. It just takes more effort to get there. I'll boil it down this way -

1. Sexy. Playful. Period. If a design comes out and doesn't have a little sexy to it, it's probably going to put a lot of players off. Obviously there are some players that prefer stuff not to be sexy. But I'm betting the vats majority of your best selling looks/items are sexy. And by "sexy" I mean form fitting, suggestive bumps, and curves all day.

2. Colors. These often feel like an afterthought. I know you guys pick the colors, but half of them feel as if you just threw a dart at a color wheel. Don't make 3 or 4 colors just because you need more options. If it only works in one color, so be it.

3. Details. The devil is in them. Nothing will bring an outfit to life like detail. I recognize that nothing costs more time than details. But it is the differentiator in making stuff that sells well versus stuff that barely sells. I'd argue that detailed items outsell the normal stuff 10 to 1, and you guys will have the stats to back that up or call me a liar. Don't skimp here. Do it right or skip it. I'd rather you spend the time on decor if you're just going to go through the motions on details.

4. Shading. If I can see a gradient line, boooooooooo! I know the low rent rendering art programs can fix this automatically, so don't tell me the ones you guys use can't do it. Shading and gradients should be smooth and fluid every single time.

These are my 4 horsemen of getting outfits right in Yo. It's the stuff I still buy when it comes out. I know you can do it, because I have an inventory full of it when it happens.

;)

We are an endless soul carrying an eventual corpse.....
Creepin (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 431
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 47377
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:12 pm

lOl - Just posted in the main thread that although I was initially "urggghhh" at this clothing release, I actually think they did a great job with the female outfit in representing the period which the theme relates to.

I cant speak to that big ole top hat, or shoes for the males.... but I'm not hating on the female outfit. I think they did a good job with that. :)
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Image

...................."The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. ...........................................The first to forget is the happiest.~ Unknown

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 11631
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:16 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Can't argue with those observations Ashen.... I love the suggestion of a tilting hat action .... mama miaaaaa that would be hawt!!! :love: :D
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Image

...................."The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. ...........................................The first to forget is the happiest.~ Unknown

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 11631
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby LindyLou Who (126352247) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:24 pm

Cam (184561840) wrote:Why do we constantly get old fashioned outfits thrown at us? Isnt this a fall theme? I could think of so many beautiful fall items to give us, but we get this repetitiveness that we always get. A big a** hat and even bigger shoes. Its just sad, compare these items to what we used to get and you will be shocked.

It's called period clothes and they go with the theme. :)

LindyLou Who (126352247)
YoWorld Level: 392
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 8155
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby LindyLou Who (126352247) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Isla (2518852) wrote:Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but Anne of Green Gables isn't a modern theme. It's really traditional and I didn't expect a lot from the fashion on this theme for that reason.

While I don't love the women's tops, I think there is a use for the maxi skirts and the sashes are one of the only belt-like items that fit in the right spot on the waist for me. So, there are a couple of takeaways from this release at least.

Is it high fashion or a designer release? No, absolutely not. But, I don't know if this particular theme merits it anyway. :thumbsup:

The holidays are just around the corner and it will likely be designer content heavy for a while, so we are almost to some high quality items. :hug:

:thumbsup:

LindyLou Who (126352247)
YoWorld Level: 392
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 8155

Postby Ashen (127118376) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:58 pm

ijOjO uK (109723058) wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Can't argue with those observations Ashen.... I love the suggestion of a tilting hat action .... mama miaaaaa that would be hawt!!! :love: :D

Ashen (127118376)
YoWorld Level: 284
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 06, 2009

Forum Posts: 5990

Postby xNVx (129595882) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:53 pm

xXLiSaLiShUsXx (120422896) wrote:Ive been saying this for MONTHS!! I try hard to not complain and just go with the flow and hope for something better to come along but over and over its the same styles of bland and dowdy looks! Just today I was saying are the devs in their 70's or 90's because the looks we get are just... idk.... boring and not attractive! Im 56 and think this stuff is just too bland and need more pizazz! I know this is supposed to be a throwback to way back when to Anne of green gables but.... * sigh *

This is pretty much what i been wondering, especially by the age and how they dress in rl. I get certain older themes have different styles but even those you can make look better with more details and things. We have many older style clothes from Zynga yet they don't like so boring, they added lots of details and the colors don't look washed up or anything and the clothes don't look frumpy either. This is why so many of the Zynga items are so expensive, it's because other than DC stuff it's hard to find something nice to wear. Also i like my color pallets to match when i wear clothes, many of the clothes now clash when it comes to colors and it's hard to match colors.

xNVx (129595882)

Postby xXLiSaLiShUsXx (120422896) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:00 pm

I know its supposed to be a period piece (did we vote on that because I dont remember and probably wasnt shown boring stuff like what we've gotten so far as options), but there are ways to make it look prettier like what Rod was saying. At least make the details look good! Like the white shirt Lindy is wearing, the lines suck and white ALWAYS has a tone of grey to it. Why? Either the bewbz are melons or only one is centered or it looks sloppy. Idk its whatever I guess. I'll only buy stuff if its really nicely done or if I have to have it for a GE.
If you want someone to notice you, be a type-O
Im Pure Michigan
The Original Lisalishus
https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h82323030
xXLiSaLiShUsXx (120422896)
YoWorld Level: 343
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 2313

Postby JustJo (106622274) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:15 pm

but but but.the iron was invented in 1882 :eh:

JustJo (106622274)
YoWorld Level: 291
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 91497
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Cynna Girl (11683468) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:32 pm

Ok so this is my two cents on it. Ok I am glad to see that they are finally doing a theme that is not modernized. While I do like modern on some things I do not like on everything. So I love the way the direction of this theme has taken us. Same with the unicorn theme. But that being said. The clothes this theme are not cute or flattering. I might just be a doodler as some might say. But I can about guarantee my "doodling would be with more detail than these. The clothes from the unicorn theme for exceptions to 1 unicorn Yober were beautiful. This theme is hit and miss. The Side Hair Ponytail was beautiful except for the gap. The face cases yesterday were atrocious and I am being quite nice. I love the furniture lately for this theme but the outfits today. I could easily pass on.
My Facebook Group: For My Drawings, Room Designs, Avatar Outfits and Contests:

For My Son who is Autistic:

Cynna Girl (11683468)
YoWorld Level: 315
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 9726

Postby SinisterPrime (116808443) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 pm

When we settle for rehashed and generic themes we get this. Somebody somewhere is really scrapping the bottom of the creative barrel :dizzy:

SinisterPrime (116808443)
YoWorld Level: 325
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 8540

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions