[CONTEST] Halloween 2021 Design Contest

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: [CONTEST] Halloween 2021 Design Contest

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:23 am

LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964) wrote:
Pixetta (111757268) wrote:
Tiff (7426240) wrote:
Pixetta (111757268) wrote:well i can't enter since I don't have ai ... and not allowed to use .svg???

Yes, you can enter as an Innovator

okay and have bvg recreate? not my cup of tea.

What if we convert our files to .AI?

how does one do that without adobe illustrator?

Pixetta (111757268)
YoWorld Level: 290
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 1023
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby Hawthorn (112213318) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:08 pm

Not everyone can afford to have AI, So it makes the contests unfair and discriminatory in a way via, surely the talented BVG artists could convert the designs as they will have to adjust them anyway to fit the Yoworld Format

Hawthorn (112213318)
YoWorld Level: 333
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 05, 2009

Forum Posts: 183
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:19 pm

Hawthorn (112213318) wrote:

Not everyone can afford to have AI, So it makes the contests unfair and discriminatory in a way via, surely the talented BVG artists could convert the designs as they will have to adjust them anyway to fit the Yoworld Format

yes I agree. why all of a sudden we can't use .svg file format? very few have AI. And that narrows the field down considerably to a select few who can afford AI.

Pixetta (111757268)

Postby LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:10 pm

LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964) wrote:
Tiff (7426240) wrote:
Pixetta (111757268) wrote:well i can't enter since I don't have ai ... and not allowed to use .svg???

What if we convert our files to .AI?

Search .svg to .ai :D

You can also save it in PDF format, then change the extension from . pdf to . ai by renaming it. They shouldn’t be able to tell the difference with this and a regular ai file I believe! (Clarification would be great tho)

LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964)
YoWorld Level: 246
YoWorld Start Date: May 12, 2011

Forum Posts: 742
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Tiff (7426240) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Tiff (7426240) wrote:

They have been recreating them anyways. Including us that send AI files. There is no way around that.

Tiff (7426240)
YoWorld Level: 304
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 13, 2009

Forum Posts: 6086
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Until I get clarification I’ll be submitting my entries in the artisan section. I’m not an innovator. I will also be attaching my .Svg file as well as a converted .ai file. I have extensive illustrator knowledge but I’m not able to purchase it right now. I’m sure BVG will be fine with converted files!

LUSTFUL NIGHTMARE (177682964)
YoWorld Level: 246
YoWorld Start Date: May 12, 2011

Forum Posts: 742

Postby Tiff (7426240) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm

I'm baffled and so bummed by these 3 rules:

-Max file size of 8MB or less (uncompressed).
-Maximum of 10 paths or shapes that make use of gradients with transparency or have transparency applied to a solid color fill. All other shapes/paths must have 100% opaque fills (gradient or solid).
-No use of freeform gradients. Linear or Radial gradients only

My file size is always way over 8mb and there is no way to make a cool looking design without using transparency with gradients. 10 total, even if it is per item really dumbs the design down. I've been trying to remake a design I was working on and it really is hard to see all the detail and cool design leave. I'm just about to join the innovator category and just post a jpeg of my design. I can make it how I want that way and won't have to do a back view! With these new rules I feel like they are just about to do away with the Artisan group. It's no fun when you have to dumb your design down to almost nothing. It explains the frump we get from the BVG designers. If they have these rules placed on them, then they don't have a chance to make something we would like!

It's sad, but I feel like this might be the end of the "Artisan" category and cool looking player designs. :wailing: On the other hand, it would take us back to the old days where a picture was only required and no back views!

Tiff (7426240)

Postby Pierre (187421515) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:03 pm

Tiff (7426240) wrote:I'm baffled and so bummed by these 3 rules:

-Maximum of 10 paths or shapes that make use of gradients with transparency or have transparency applied to a solid color fill. All other shapes/paths must have 100% opaque fills (gradient or solid).

My file size is always way over 8mb and there is no way to make a cool looking design without using transparency with gradients. 10 total, even if it is per item really dumbs the design down. I've been trying to remake a design I was working on and it really is hard to see all the detail and cool design leave. I'm just about to join the innovator category and just post a jpeg of my design. I can make it how I want that way and won't have to do a back view! With these new rules I feel like they are just about to do away with the Artisan group. It's no fun when you have to dumb your design down to almost nothing. It explains the frump we get from the BVG designers. If they have these rules placed on them, then they don't have a chance to make something we would like!

It's sad, but I feel like this might be the end of the "Artisan" category and cool looking player designs. :wailing: On the other hand, it would take us back to the old days where a picture was only required and no back views!

I totally agree with you, especially that most of the designs were doing fine in the past releases? They have to know that we design for fun because we love designing and it isn't a task we are doing :sad:
Talking about the file size, my glamping hair file with the variants and backviews was around 70mb, which is understandable since it has 10 color variants. I wonder how we are supposed to lower it to 8 mb now ?
About the transparency rule, this is not making any sense at all? Let's give the linear gradient which we are allowed to use as an example. A linear gradient has two sides, one opaque and another one transparent... So that is fine to use, but applying transparency on a path isn't ?

We need more clarification about these rules. I started with a design already and I am trying to respect the rules as much as I can, but It is annoying :phew:
Pierre (187421515)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 16, 2017

Forum Posts: 867

Postby Cam (184561840) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:19 pm

Everything you said is spot on :trophy:

I wish they had posted this DC during the weekday so we can actually get some answers before starting.

It seems with every contest the rules are getting more and more strict. I'm sure there is a plus side to this as they are narrowing down issues finding what works and what doesn't, but I just don't understand the rules placed for this current DC.

Most of my design files exceed 20-40mb and are still in game. Narrowing an outfit to 8mb feels near impossible. Is that including back views/variants? elaborate? Ofc it must take longer to render files with such details, gradients and what not, but I'm sure on the business side it pays off seeing as people favour player designs because of the fact we do use more details etc. I've noticed over the years that BVGs wearable items have become less and less detailed, so now that we are getting the rules to do the same it feels weird, sad even.

There was a recent issue with my unicorn outfit to do with having a lot of anchor points, paths, gradients etc and the items were crashing which affected the ability of being put into the game. This resulted in me recreating the outfit with little to no gradients. From now on I will be careful of this and try my best to not add too many details etc, but I think the rules are too strict. I'm sure a lot of designers will be pushed away and refrain from entering knowing they have to dumb down their beautiful creation to something that they are not happy with...

For now I think we deserve more elaboration on each of the rules. :sick:
Last edited by Cam (184561840) on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam (184561840)
YoWorld Level: 303
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 04, 2013

Forum Posts: 5191

Postby Tiff (7426240) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Pierre (187421515) wrote:

I totally agree with you, especially that most of the designs were doing fine in the past releases? They have to know that we design for fun because we love designing and it isn't a task we are doing :sad:
Talking about the file size, my glamping hair file with the variants and backviews was around 70mb, which is understandable since it has 10 color variants. I wonder how we are supposed to lower it to 8 mb now ?
About the transparency rule, this is not making any sense at all? Let's give the linear gradient which we are allowed to use as an example. A linear gradient has two sides, one opaque and another one transparent... So that is fine to use, but applying transparency on a path isn't ?

We need more clarification about these rules. I started with a design already and I am trying to respect the rules as much as I can, but It is annoying :phew:

It's beyond sad and really frustrating when you already have what you feel is a cool design and have to redo it to very dull and uncool. Oye!

I read the rule of transparently as you are allowed 10 total shapes and/or paths that are allowed transparency and the rest have to be solid with no transparency. Those ten include any gradient with transparency. Even if that is 10 per item, it wipes out my current design.

And ya.....forget 8mb! I'm not sure that is possible with a front, back and variants! That's why I'm thinking of switching to Innovator for this one. I'm not sure it is possible to follow these rules with out making a VERY simple design with no detail or cool looking items. it's becoming a chore and not fun at all with these new rules. I don't want to enter something I don't even like. I know not everyone likes my designs, but I at least have to like them. LOL

Tiff (7426240)

Postby Tiff (7426240) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:34 pm

Cam (184561840) wrote:

Everything you said is spot on :trophy:

I wish they had posted this DC during the weekday so we can actually get some answers before starting.

It seems with every contest the rules are getting more and more strict. I'm sure there is a plus side to this as they are narrowing down issues finding what works and what doesn't, but I just don't understand the rules placed for this current DC.

Most of my design files exceed 20-40mb and are still in game. Narrowing an outfit to 8mb feels near impossible. Is that including back views/variants? elaborate? Ofc it must take longer to render files with such details, gradients and what not, but I'm sure on the business side it pays off seeing as people favour player designs because of the fact we do use more details etc. I've noticed over the years that BVGs wearable items have become less and less detailed, so now that we are getting the rules to do the same it feels weird, sad even.

There was a recent issue with my unicorn outfit to do with having a lot of anchor points, paths, gradients etc and the items were crashing which affected the ability of being put into the game. This resulted in me recreating the outfit with little to no gradients. From now on I will be careful of this and try my best to not add too many details etc, but I think the rules are too strict. I'm sure a lot of designers will be pushed away and refrain from entering knowing they have to dumb down their beautiful creation to something that they are not happy with...

For now I think we deserve more elaboration on each of the rules. :sick:

We defin need more elaboration! It does stink that they put this up on Friday. The new rules are choking the designs to basically death. LOL I've never minded the new rules as they gave an insight to what was needed.....but these new rules are above and beyond. They are taking the way, almost all of us design out of play. As it has been mentioned, it has worked just fine in the past until most recently. I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water though. 8mb and ten transparencies? Kill me now! LOL Hopefully come Monday we can get more clarification and maybe more laxed rules on those 2 points.

It's a huge shame on the no freeform gradients too. That was a new feature and really allowed cooler designs. I understand that one though as it does make the file size huge and probably would lag the game. o_o

Tiff (7426240)

Postby voodoosue (118968402) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Autumn Glory (105171200) wrote:Please do not sacrifice decor to make this happen! o_o I hope this is happening because there is extra time to allow for the artists to do this.

OMG good point AG :thumbsup: i never thought of that :sad: now im worried our Halloween will be more trick then treat :sad: :sad:
Image Image

voodoosue (118968402)
YoWorld Level: 357
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 02, 2009

Forum Posts: 9132
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:35 pm

Tiff (7426240) wrote:
Tiff (7426240) wrote:

They have been recreating them anyways. Including us that send AI files. There is no way around that.

i guess its better than nothing!

Pixetta (111757268)

Postby IceAgeComing (154702431) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 pm

I feel exactly the same way,
if i ever gonna join contests again, i would just post a flat jpeg or png and be done with it and watch the probably destroy it when recreating it if it happened to win :P.
But at least doesn't have to do backviews, thats a plus. :D

But in all honesty, i feel all the strict rules that get worse and worse every contest are driving designers away eventually or just making their lives harder and more stressful. After all we are not paid employees, we do this for fun. And as we are not paid, we shouldnt be treated as like we are some kind of paid professionals who can follow these very very strict rules. Zynga understood that, BVG doesn't.
IceAgeComing (154702431)
YoWorld Level: 287
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 27, 2010

Forum Posts: 414
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Park Manager (2598904) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 pm

Just did a test and I *can* save in the version of Photoshop that I have as an .ai file, but I can't open up Illustrator anymore (not without that dumb Adobe subscription kill-the-small-artist plan). Maybe I will be inspired to create something if time. It's so hot that it's hard to do other work.

Please give us the proper body files and maybe I will do one. Don't want to invest time in an outdated or wrong head/body shape. It would be fun to try at least once, even if it dies a slow, cruel death on Halloween Make-The-Cut judgment* day.

*Judgement for those who are British-English and, well, judge.

OR just enter the Innovator level and let them interpret it/do the work. :)

Park Manager (2598904)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 368

Postby Park Manager (2598904) » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 pm

Ace Rt (176854592) wrote:Dear Vikings,
Goodevening, I am rather new in participating in the Design Contests and I really want to join this one! I have two questions concerning the contests as for the Innovator level:

Question 1
We may submit up to 10 different submissions:

Example 1: Outift entry has 10 items such as (shirt, pants, jacket, shoes, item, hat, gloves, earrings, handheld, necklance) - and counts as 1 submission

Example 2: Outift entry has 10 items such as (shirt, pants, jacket, shoes, item, hat, gloves, earrings, handheld, necklance) - and counts as 10 submissions.

Question 2:
Concerning Innovator outfit submissions, will we have to post in the forum thread the sketch of each item, the outfit combining all the items together or is it up to us?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions. I look forward to this. ❤️

Hi, Ace! Looking forward to seeing what you (and others) create! May the Halloween spirits inspire you. :smug:

Park Manager (2598904)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 11, 2008

Forum Posts: 368

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am

i am just sad.

i think i know now why none of my designs were chosen in the open call...

Pixetta (111757268)

Postby Autumn Glory (105171200) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 am

voodoosue (118968402) wrote:
Autumn Glory (105171200) wrote:Please do not sacrifice decor to make this happen! o_o I hope this is happening because there is extra time to allow for the artists to do this.

OMG good point AG :thumbsup: i never thought of that :sad: now im worried our Halloween will be more trick then treat :sad: :sad:

I feel like that is what happened last year. Don't get me wrong, I love the contests and have my favorite designers too, but I am first and foremost a decorator, and I am tired of some playing styles being sacrificed in the name of money. As a side note, although the contest says that the entries do not have to stick to the themes for this year, I do hope that the Vikings pick finalists that are actually entering Halloween related items and not some of the random things that can go in others themes the rest of the year. It seems we are back to getting one shot a year at creepy, dark, and scary.
Image Image
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." ` Aesop
Autumn Glory (105171200)
YoWorld Level: 330
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 15022
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby XxDarkMarioxX (104376062) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:05 am

Autumn Glory (105171200) wrote:
voodoosue (118968402) wrote:

I feel like that is what happened last year. Don't get me wrong, I love the contests and have my favorite designers too, but I am first and foremost a decorator, and I am tired of some playing styles being sacrificed in the name of money. As a side note, although the contest says that the entries do not have to stick to the themes for this year, I do hope that the Vikings pick finalists that are actually entering Halloween related items and not some of the random things that can go in others themes the rest of the year. It seems we are back to getting one shot a year at creepy, dark, and scary.

Agreed vikings need to pick out halloween stuff because I will not vote for desgins that can be used in any other themes because HW2021 comes once an year and hope they do better this year then lasy year!

XxDarkMarioxX (104376062)
YoWorld Level: 367
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 19410
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby xNVx (129595882) » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:27 pm

Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:Please, I beg of you, have different categories. The pretty stuff just doesn't work for me and I would love for some of the creepy and weird stuff to be available to those of us who enjoy that kind of thing.

This is what concerns me, just looking at the apprentice stuff make me worry some of that stuff has nothing to do with halloween. We get cute stuff all year long i wish people would put a little more thought behind it before they just post anything. This is why we always end up with things like shabby halloween.I rather them have different categories to make sure in the end for us who love halloween get something too and not end up with some cheesy halloween again.

Always be yourself and don't worry about what others think. Always make sure you surround yourself with people that bring something positive into your life

xNVx (129595882)
YoWorld Level: 306
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 18, 2009

Forum Posts: 5030

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions