[NEWS] Protect Yo Self (May 6, 2021)

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

[NEWS] Protect Yo Self (May 6, 2021)

Postby Viking Andrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Hey YoFans!

Today is National Password Day! What better way to celebrate than to give you a reminder about how you can stay safe & secure in YoWorld?

First up: Lock Codes

Lock Codes are an optional 4-digit PIN (like your bank PIN) you can use to prevent any items being traded from your account to another player without your authorization.

Lock Codes lock out the Auction House, trading, gifting and purchasing Coins/YoCash until your PIN is entered correctly.

There are three different levels of security that you can enable for your Lock Code:

Level 1: We’ll ask you for your Lock Code once per week, or if you change your device, similar to YoPass. If you use a new browser/new computer or clear your cookies, you’ll need to enter your Lock Code again whenever you use the Auction House, trade, gift or purchase YoCoins/YoCash. We recommend that Low Security is only used by players who do not share computers/devices with other people.

Level 2: The default setting. We’ll ask you for your Lock Code once per session. The first time you use the Auction House, trade, gift or purchase YoCoins/YoCash will require you to enter your Lock Code, but for the rest of that game load, you won’t need to enter it again. If you refresh your game, you’ll need re-enter it.

Level 3: We’ll ask you for your Lock Code every single time you use the Auction House, trade, gift or purchase YoCoins/YoCash

All three levels will ensure that your account is safe, it just comes down to your choice of how secure to make it.

Hacking

The biggest misconception right now is that your account can be 'hacked'. The term itself implies that there are programs being used to steal your information from our servers. Big Viking Games has added multiple layers of security to YoWorld, and as a result this has never happened under BVG's watch. We're committed to making sure it never will.

Social Engineering / Phishing

So how do these intruders get your information?

The most common way that your account can be compromised is by way of Social Engineering. Phishing, the most common form of Social Engineering, refers to getting other people to give out their personal information, usually without their knowledge. In YoWorld, this usually means your Facebook login and password.

Phishing occurs when someone sends you a link through email, Facebook, apartment messages, whiteboards, etc. The link looks legitimate but will redirect you to a fake site that will steal your information. Popular phishing scams in YoWorld include fake Facebook login pages, free YoCash or item offer pages, YoWorld support pages, and people pretending to be Vikings - and as we said before...

A real Viking will NEVER ask for your password. A real Viking will NEVER ask you to remove your lock code or YoPass.

Additionally: do not send anyone the contents of your browser's "View Source" page. Ever. This applies to any account, anywhere - not just YoWorld!

How Can I Protect Myself?

The good news is that we’ve created various security features to help you out! Check out the posts below for more information on how these features can keep you safe, as well as some neat tips on online security!

Lock Codes
Other Tips & Tricks
Facebook Two-Factor Authentication
Viking Andrew
YoWorld Level: 500

Forum Posts: 3094
Forum Title: The Best Taco Artist

Re: [NEWS] Protect Yo Self (May 6, 2021)

Postby Smitten Kitten (136864592) » Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 am

Thank you for the reminder!! Important information here! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Smitten Kitten (136864592)
YoWorld Level: 354
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 21614
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby Starjack (126579776) » Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 am

Do what is hard and life will be easy
Do what is easy and life will be hard
Starjack (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 404
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 45458
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Shino (117675753) » Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am

I need to say this. On 2012 as Viking Jess posted in the forum for the Lock code I immediatly putted it on my Yoworld game to protect my items. That time I was alredy the admin of a facebook group, the one that on 2014 started protests vs Zynga for the shotdown of Yoville and the same group were each night on the game to support Bvg to buy it. As admin i was always ready to share in that group all the news that I could find on the forum and helping many old players to figure out how to use the lock code, the YoPass etc. I was always warning to all the members to never click any link, or fishing email or whatever could be the open way to can be hackerd and as obvious thing never to give your lock code number to anyone.
In short, on March 2019 someone from Egypt was able to open my facebook, to load yoworld, Unlock the Lock code and to put in the auction home the Old Cupid Bow. I still need say the level of my lock code was the 1st one. So lesson for me and i hope will help you all out, was that the protection of lock code more difficolt to be hackered is the 3 level: each buy, sell, trade, gift or AH sell/buy will ask you for ur lock code and in add of the lock code, yea use the 2 identifications factors to protect your Facebook from anyone who may be intentioned to hack ur account.
P.s. for the Viking who that time blamed me to lie when on 2019- when i was hackered, i was saying that i had the lock code actived and that i dindt click anything to get hackered. Thank you for ready and yes put the 2factors identifications for fb and the lock code level 3.

Shino (117675753)
YoWorld Level: 323
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 315
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Thursday Soleil (136586881) » Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 am

Nice Post and nice Reminders.

Now if I could just remember half of the Passwords required of me these days that would be awesome.

* memory of a goldfish*
"This must be Thursday", said Arthur musing to himself, sinking low over his beer, " I never could get the hang of Thursdays."-HHGTTG
Never trust the Iguanas. They are trying to take over the world.

Thursday Soleil (136586881)
YoWorld Level: 312
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 22, 2009

Forum Posts: 10037
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Opposite Tables (108690404) » Mon May 10, 2021 2:05 am

I think I must have at least 20 to 30 IDs/passwords. I write each one down but then can't remember where I wrote them or what notebook I wrote them in.
I am obviously too old to continue doing this.
My FB was hacked and I've had things go missing in the game too, but even that no longer matters. And yes, I tried to get help from FB. Response: "Sorry we can't help you." I'm not only followed on FB but also every place I go now. I've also seen someone in a room while in "Edit" mode on Yoworld. Judging by the name he changed one of my home's name to he's from a country overseas.

I can no longer buy cash or coins because I will NOT give FB the info they want from me. I didn't have to when I started playing this game YEARS ago as Yoville. Who would ever trust FB after that hack???

There is no point trying to play after what little I have left is gone. I can't afford the things I like now that almost all is game cash.

One more thing. It appears my cable co. is charging for "streaming" anything. So FB is already making money on the streaming of this game? After all it does say "Recently Watched" and then YoWorld under that. I didn't know I was only "watching" it.
Stranger yet is when you hover over the YoWorld link you can see the link and it says https:facebook.com/gaming/yoville/ and not YoWorld. That's not right as Yoville no longer exists. A red flag to me.
And yes, I am paranoid since I've been hacked.
Priscilla
Opposite Tables (108690404)
YoWorld Level: 373
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 14, 2009

Forum Posts: 405
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Starjack (126579776) » Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am

For those struggling with passwords (all of us), there is a tool called LastPass that I will recommend until I go to my grave. It requires one password and it can be as long or as short as you'd like - and it remembers EVERY ONLINE PASSWORD you use. It can change them every 5 minutes. It can make them 50 characters. You'll only have to remember one online password - ever. It works in all browsers. It's simple. It's pretty cheap. It's secure. It holds my banking passwords. It holds my gaming passwords. It's encrypted. Even the LastPass people can't read your data. YOU and your password are the only ones that know your one password.

You can take LastPass for a test drive. Yes it is something new if you haven't tried it. But don't let that stop you. It will revolutionize your online world. I have no idea what the passwords are to any of my accounts, because I allow LastPass to control that. They are random and 25 characters long. So good luck cracking them.

:smug:

Starjack (126579776)

Postby Smitten Kitten (136864592) » Mon May 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Twinkles (126579776) wrote:For those struggling with passwords (all of us), there is a tool called LastPass that I will recommend until I go to my grave. It requires one password and it can be as long or as short as you'd like - and it remembers EVERY ONLINE PASSWORD you use. It can change them every 5 minutes. It can make them 50 characters. You'll only have to remember one online password - ever. It works in all browsers. It's simple. It's pretty cheap. It's secure. It holds my banking passwords. It holds my gaming passwords. It's encrypted. Even the LastPass people can't read your data. YOU and your password are the only ones that know your one password.

You can take LastPass for a test drive. Yes it is something new if you haven't tried it. But don't let that stop you. It will revolutionize your online world. I have no idea what the passwords are to any of my accounts, because I allow LastPass to control that. They are random and 25 characters long. So good luck cracking them.

:smug:

Good Advice, Rod!! I will check it out! :thumbsup: :D

Smitten Kitten (136864592)
YoWorld Level: 354
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 21614
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby Starjack (126579776) » Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Smitten Kitten (136864592) wrote:Good Advice, Rod!! I will check it out! :thumbsup: :D

I got my mom on it and she is happier than ever. Make sure to apply the 2 factor authentication to the use of your LastPass main password. Because that single password becomes the keys to your kingdom. You want a text "approval" any time your main password is used to get into LastPass. Once you've got that set up, LastPass will lockdown your digital foot print. I think my FB password is 30 characters now and changes weekly? LOL

Starjack (126579776)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:45 am

Thank you so much for this important reminder and information, Andrew, and for BVG's continuous commitment to keep our YoWorld accounts safe and secure :heart:
Image Image
It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.

M. Gandhi

Stardust (186190305)
YoWorld Level: 415
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 08, 2015

Forum Posts: 19834
Forum Title: YoAddict

Return to YoWorld Discussions