[HTML5] Potential Performance Fix

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

[HTML5] Potential Performance Fix

Postby Viking Andrew » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:43 am

Hey YoFans!

For those of you that are struggling with poor performance, grey screens, or constant refreshes, our devs have provided some troubleshooting tips that may improve your experience. Should you be experiencing any performance-related issues please try the following:

Download 64-bit Chrome Browser

Currently, the best way to play YoWorld is on the 64-bit version of the Google Chrome browser. As we’ve come to learn, one of the culprits of the dreaded Grey Screen issue is that not all YoFans have the 64-bit version of Google Chrome installed. Instead, the 32-bit is installed leading to frequent crashes. Downloading the 64-bit Chrome will overwrite whatever Chrome you currently have downloaded, and has been reported to improve overall functionality!

For Windows click here

For Mac click here

Download the installer and follow the instructions on screen! That’s it!

Please let us know in the thread below if this has improved your experience.

Enable Hardware Acceleration

Another potential issue causing culprit may be that your Hardware Acceleration is toggled off. To ensure that it is on, follow these steps:

• To find the setting in Chrome, click the triple-dot Menu button and choose Settings.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings page and click Show advanced settings(It may also just say Advanced)
  • Scroll down to the System section and check the box for Use hardware acceleration when available.
  • Restart Chrome.

We are continuously investigating these performance related issues, but have received reports of an improved experience from players that have followed these recommendations.

Please let us know if this has helped!

Viking Andrew
YoWorld Level: 500

Forum Posts: 3050
Forum Title: The Best Taco Artist

Re: [HTML5] Potential Performance Fix

Postby Rhonda (9581360) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:11 pm

I already run 64 bit chrome, but even though I knew that I thought I would check, and when I did there was and update chrome button so I clicked it, and my chrome went from 89. something to 90. something (I dont remember the exact numbers). If this helps or not I don't know yet. I was already running 64 bit, and I still got the gray screen but from what I read not as bad as others, now time will tell if this update helps or not.

Rhonda (9581360)
YoWorld Level: 291
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 152
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Nice, Viking Andrew! Thank you!

Take precaution even after completing vaccination. You might still be an asymptomatic carrier and can infect others. You might still be infected by a different strain.

Stardust (186190305)
YoWorld Level: 415
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 08, 2015

Forum Posts: 19603
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Thank you, Andrew! :hug: I'll give that a try and let you guys know what happens. Hoping this fixes the unbearable lag.
ImageImage
"I don't want to lubricate that." - Guybrush Threepwood

LisaTM (10095126)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 18221

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Rhonda (9581360) wrote:I already run 64 bit chrome, but even though I knew that I thought I would check, and when I did there was and update chrome button so I clicked it, and my chrome went from 89. something to 90. something (I dont remember the exact numbers). If this helps or not I don't know yet. I was already running 64 bit, and I still got the gray screen but from what I read not as bad as others, now time will tell if this update helps or not.

Hi Rhonda! This is mine. I just checked it now.

Take precaution even after completing vaccination. You might still be an asymptomatic carrier and can infect others. You might still be infected by a different strain.

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Adeline (113719515) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:23 pm

Is there anyway this will allow me to use the YoWorld BigV browser again? I was able to use it until I started testing for HtMl5. I am no longer doing that but I cannot go back to the Yobrowser. I did put in at least one ticket about this and tried the advice I was given which was to uninstall the yobrowser app and reinstall it. That did not help and I sent in a report of that fact.
I am at my wits end.

Adeline (113719515)
YoWorld Level: 389
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 11222
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Gooey (126579776) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:25 pm

I hope this helps some people have better game play :)

Keep chasing those loose ends. :thumbsup:

All of the things you wished someone would have told you when you were at rock bottom, mean that you know exactly what someone who is struggling needs to hear right now in their worst moment....

Gooey (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 393
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 44580
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Laura (135559405) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Still no luck for me even though I follow the steps Viking Andrew recommended I'm still refreshing! :sad:

Laura (135559405)
YoWorld Level: 336
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 17, 2009

Forum Posts: 175

Postby Gooey (126579776) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Laura (135559405) wrote:Still no luck for me even though I follow the steps Viking Andrew recommended I'm still refreshing! :sad:

My best game performance comes on a browser called Opera GX. I don't have the disconnects nearly as bad as I do in Chrome or the Desktop App.

All of the things you wished someone would have told you when you were at rock bottom, mean that you know exactly what someone who is struggling needs to hear right now in their worst moment....

Gooey (126579776)

Postby Adeline (113719515) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 pm

My yobrowser is not fixed - it will still not finish loading. I did everything and am running the 64 bit with the excelleration checked.

Adeline (113719515)
YoWorld Level: 389
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 11222
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby mrs thunder (125278108) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:48 pm

lol mine is 64 bit and i still get grey screen :haha:
mrs thunder (125278108)
YoWorld Level: 250
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 28, 2009

Forum Posts: 242

Postby Laura (135559405) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Jon Snow (126579776) wrote:
Laura (135559405) wrote:Still no luck for me even though I follow the steps Viking Andrew recommended I'm still refreshing! :sad:

My best game performance comes on a browser called Opera GX. I don't have the disconnects nearly as bad as I do in Chrome or the Desktop App.

I have Opera GX Downloaded and use It once and awhile but I still get the refresh on It as well thanks for the advice though

Laura (135559405)
YoWorld Level: 336
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 17, 2009

Forum Posts: 175

Postby Gooey (126579776) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Laura (135559405) wrote:
Jon Snow (126579776) wrote:

I have Opera GX Downloaded and use It once and awhile but I still get the refresh on It as well thanks for the advice though

:)

I know the game has broken code. It exists within items, within game design, within actions, and sometimes it is between these things. The randomness of it all leads me to this conclusion. If something broke the same way every time, then it wouldn't be tough to isolate and correct. For example I might put on an item 20 times without an issue. But when I happen to also be wearing a certain hair, the code between the 2 items won't function. And it may not work with a pair of gloves. Or a yober. These are the problems BVG is trying to fix. These type of problems affect less powerful machines more acutely, which is why players with faster machines seem to have less trouble - but they still run hot and sometimes even fail. That's on BVG to continue to ferret out all the quirks. Time and patience......

Gooey (126579776)

Postby Sassy (106467159) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Sorry, but this obviously is not a working fix, as My chrome browser has been 64 bit for as long as I can remember, was updated last night to Version 90.0.4430.85 , and still had issues trying to enter the gem event then and today and just game play in general. Even the other "fixes" with removing certain items etc, didn't apply to me as I don't have anything like that on my person when loading game, and still have major issues. Between the "refresh refresh refresh" ALL the time, and then freezing and getting the dreaded grey screen, I'm about to become an alcoholic .. and I don't even drink alcoholic beverages :wailing: :drink: :silly:
Sassy (106467159)
YoWorld Level: 290
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 26, 2009

Forum Posts: 6
Forum Title: YoNewbie

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:12 pm

It seems that different people have different browsers that work the best for them. It is because HTML5 is browser-dependent. If you already followed Viking Andrew's suggestion above and still have problems while using Chrome, maybe you can try the same things to other browsers too, and see which browser works the best for you. I mean, update the browsers to the latest update for 64-bit, and enable hardware acceleration if available.
Here is a list of browsers to try:
Google Chrome,
Firefox,
Opera,
Opera GX,
Vivaldi,
Brave
Microsoft Edge
Safari
Safari Technology Preview

Good luck :)

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Ann (123866608) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:17 pm

I have several computers and tablets. My 64 bit systems are NOT running the game at all. My XP computer will run the game with a few glitches, Windows 10, 8 and 7 won't. My tablet using Puffin Browser works BUT it is difficult decorating rooms and dealing with the challnge which is completely unfair for those of us experiencing issues, something else you need to address. Seriously, it's NOT the operating system or Browser, you need to fix the game itself or revert it back to pre HTML5 and start over.

Ann (123866608)
YoWorld Level: 359
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 17
Forum Title: YoRookie

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Ann (123866608) wrote:I have several computers and tablets. My 64 bit systems are NOT running the game at all. My XP computer will run the game with a few glitches, Windows 10, 8 and 7 won't. My tablet using Puffin Browser works BUT it is difficult decorating rooms and dealing with the challnge which is completely unfair for those of us experiencing issues, something else you need to address. Seriously, it's NOT the operating system or Browser, you need to fix the game itself or revert it back to pre HTML5 and start over.

We cannot go back because Flash has ended, Adobe ended it, and our previous game was a Flash game.

I beg to differ about putting all the blame on the game itself. I hardly have any problem, no crash and no refreshing problems. The only serious problem I have is that Safari won't load the game on my Mac, but a newer and to-be-released version of Safari works without any problem. The important difference between the two is that Safari has an integrated tracker blocker by DuckDuckGo and the other does not have this blocker. It shows that browser does matter, and the browser's setting does matter too, including its adds-on. I have read some people with Windows 10 can play the game almost flawlessly.

Stardust (186190305)

Postby LisaTM (10095126) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:50 pm

To BVG: It's the same scenario with this as with every other browser I've tried and the desktop app. The same lag in the same places, loading issues, etc. I haven't been in long enough to determine if it's fixed the disconnect/refresh issue, so I'll let you know how that goes.

I don't know if extreme lag and loading issues are connected to the browsers, settings, specs, or specific items. I have one room with a TON of stuff in it that was EXTREMELY laggy and figured out that it was the sunlight ripple that's in the depot that was causing the problem. I only figured this out after going to a friend's place that had a few of those in there and the worst lag ever. Once I removed it from my room, lag was gone. I have another room I'm trying to work on where I move at a snail's pace. I'm assuming it's a sittable pond in there that's causing problems, but it could be some now vaulted xmas lights. Seems like several decorative items are causing problems, but I don't feel like tearing my places apart to figure out which ones are to blame.

My computer specs are in the acceptable range, so I don't know what to tell you. I hope you guys sort out the bugs, and that's that.
ImageImage
"I don't want to lubricate that." - Guybrush Threepwood

LisaTM (10095126)
YoWorld Level: 340
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 18221

Postby Alicen Chains (155870363) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:12 pm

Mine was already updated and I thought I'd try to play today since I'm off. Chrome is useless for me. I can buy from the store and deco (mind you I'm just updating Mediterranean Getaway, won't even attempt a new project) but if I try to open inventory it's 'the page has become unresponsive'. It took me 3 cups of coffee to change out beams, railing, pillows and sky. :shocked: However long that is, it's too long.
I changed clothes one item at a time but I'm not here for that, I decorate. Doing all this extra makes me resentful. You can release a whole wig store of weaves for $100 and it's not going to make decorators race into the game to run back here just to be the first to wear it. I do realize you have to make money because God knows you're not getting it from my deco friends anymore. Most of mine are on hiatus and have been for a month. :sad: It's beyond frustrating.
Alicen Chains (155870363)
YoWorld Level: 322
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 06, 2010

Forum Posts: 13042
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby SLEEPY (160149118) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:31 pm

So is the YoWorld browser not being updated anymore then? I can download Chrome is that is what we're supposed to be doing now. Should I remove the YoWorld browser?
If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed.
-- Chinese Proverb

SLEEPY (160149118)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: May 22, 2010

Forum Posts: 167

Next

Return to YoWorld Discussions