Theme Expectations

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Theme Expectations

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36 pm

I'm going to be as nice as I can, which isn't really nice. But play along with me anyway........

Every single player has every opportunity to push BVG down a path for theme selections. Instead of spending a mountain of energy griping about every theme you don't like, how about contributing to the process around ideas for new themes? Be passionate. Share your ideas. Hunt pictures that interest you. Share some of your endless creativity. Because this "after-the-fact" eye stabbing that goes on is seemingly endless.

And yes, that means sometimes this game will NOT do themes you want. In fact, I'd argue that more themes will get done that are not what you WANT, just based on the fact that you aren't the only player in Yo. But you will get SOME themes to work with. The expectation that every single theme is in your wheelhouse is asinine, ludicrous, selfish, and misguided (and those ARE my nice words).

CottageCore was about as light and fluffy as it gets. Arcane Astrology is middle of the road bubble gum darkness. I'm sure we'll do some more camping, beach, or location driven stuff next. If I get lucky, maybe they'll do a hardcore tech-noir nightclub theme based on a cybernetic future where we are all half robots. Cyberpunk II? Bring it on. But most likely it will be some softcore romantic fluff theme called "Hills Of Tuscany" about throbbing members and heaving bosoms that will make me puke.

The point is that it ain't right to cry about what we get. Fix it. Get involved. Show us how awesome your ideas are. Convince the rest of us to agree with you. Hell, I've supported many theme ideas I hated, just because someone got in here and posted passionately about what they'd like to see. I LIKE to see people get stuff they want, even if it means I don't.

I love ya, but sometimes that means I gotta care enough to smack ya. :hug: :heart:

The first rule of Passive Aggressive Club is....you know what? Nevermind. It's FINE.

The creative adult is the part of the child that survived....
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 384
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 44109
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Re: Theme Expectations

Postby Vivica (13404458) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:38 pm

:thumbsup: :drink:

If you smack me, though, I might have to smack you back. :haha:

Vivica (13404458)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 10086
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Goddess Zane (2435988) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Skippy (126579776) wrote:I'm going to be as nice as I can, which isn't really nice. But play along with me anyway........

Every single player has every opportunity to push BVG down a path for theme selections. Instead of spending a mountain of energy griping about every theme you don't like, how about contributing to the process around ideas for new themes? Be passionate. Share your ideas. Hunt pictures that interest you. Share some of your endless creativity. Because this "after-the-fact" eye stabbing that goes on is seemingly endless.

And yes, that means sometimes this game will NOT do themes you want. In fact, I'd argue that more themes will get done that are not what you WANT, just based on the fact that you aren't the only player in Yo. But you will get SOME themes to work with. The expectation that every single theme is in your wheelhouse is asinine, ludicrous, selfish, and misguided (and those ARE my nice words).

CottageCore was about as light and fluffy as it gets. Arcane Astrology is middle of the road bubble gum darkness. I'm sure we'll do some more camping, beach, or location driven stuff next. If I get lucky, maybe they'll do a hardcore tech-noir nightclub theme based on a cybernetic future where we are all half robots. Cyberpunk II? Bring it on. But most likely it will be some softcore romantic fluff theme called "Hills Of Tuscany" about throbbing members and heaving bosoms that will make me puke.

The point is that it ain't right to cry about what we get. Fix it. Get involved. Show us how awesome your ideas are. Convince the rest of us to agree with you. Hell, I've supported many theme ideas I hated, just because someone got in here and posted passionately about what they'd like to see. I LIKE to see people get stuff they want, even if it means I don't.

I love ya, but sometimes that means I gotta care enough to smack ya. :hug: :heart:

Don't smack me unless you're initiating a mating ritual! Bravo on the rest of it!

Goddess Zane (2435988)
YoWorld Level: 374
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 04, 2008

Forum Posts: 1296
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:25 pm

Agreed 1000% :haha: :thumbsup: :drink:

Take precaution even after completing vaccination. You might still be an asymptomatic carrier and can infect others. You might still be infected by a different strain.

Stardust (186190305)
YoWorld Level: 415
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 08, 2015

Forum Posts: 19144
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm

Skippy (126579776) wrote:I'm going to be as nice as I can, which isn't really nice. But play along with me anyway........

Actually the bolded is a LIE. I complain every witchcraft theme to not have animals associated with witchcraft because I see the back of it and I'm always ignored and it never gets fixed :dizzy: It's literally to the point now where I just don't care enough to hang around the game. I can't sit by and watch these themes come to pass when I know how games influence real life decisions :sick: Continually choosin animals to be associated with witchcraft is tellin people animals are evil and unfortunately for the animals they suffer from the stereotype of it :wailing: I think I'm done with this game for a bit.
Remember to load your brain before you shoot your mouth off - Old Farmer's Advice
Boots on wanna see the bottom of em say somethin

TexanSourNSweet (103681266)
YoWorld Level: 305
YoWorld Start Date: May 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 11890

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 pm

TexanSourNSweet (103681266) wrote:
Skippy (126579776) wrote:Every single player has every opportunity to push BVG down a path for theme selections.

Actually the bolded is a LIE. I complain every witchcraft theme to not have animals associated with witchcraft because I see the back of it and I'm always ignored and it never gets fixed :dizzy: It's literally to the point now where I just don't care enough to hang around the game. I can't sit by and watch these themes come to pass when I know how games influence real life decisions :sick:

You don't like something. It bothers you. And there's nothing wrong with voicing that. But that does not mean BVG will do anything about it. We both know that. They've done dozens of themes with normal cats in them. Hell, I think cats are the most popular and sellable items in Yo. The only time they trick them up is for themes like this. And yes, that upsets you.

We've learned that the only time they'll move the ship on an item is when that item is offensive to people based on race, gender, age, etc etc. I just don't see red eyed black cats as being offensive in those same categories, and that's probably why they use artistic license to profit off the magic/witch stereotype with black cats.

Obviously no one makes us buy stuff. The point of this thread is to use the frustration we feel with themes to generate theme ideas around things we would enjoy buying.

:)

And I'm about to gather my thoughts and make the case for a religious based Easter theme, or at least it's inclusion in next year's Gem Event or Calendar or in some way. I think there is some good stuff in the game already, but there needs to be some religious imagery in the holiday store for both Easter and Christmas. And I'm sure some people will disagree, but that's ok. They are allowed to like and dislike stuff the same way everyone else is. Again, no one makes anyone buy anything.

The first rule of Passive Aggressive Club is....you know what? Nevermind. It's FINE.

Rod (126579776)

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Actually the bolded is a LIE. I complain every witchcraft theme to not have animals associated with witchcraft because I see the back of it and I'm always ignored and it never gets fixed :dizzy: It's literally to the point now where I just don't care enough to hang around the game. I can't sit by and watch these themes come to pass when I know how games influence real life decisions :sick: Continually choosin animals to be associated with witchcraft is tellin people animals are evil and unfortunately for the animals they suffer from the stereotype of it :wailing: I think I'm done with this game for a bit.

Protesting about the presentation of witchcraft and its relation to black cats in this game used to be what I did together with Nick Blade, I think it was back in HW2017 and also in HW2018. But then I stopped doing it because I thought: "People can't be SO STUPID as to believe that black cats are evil blah blah blah?" If people believe that, they must be stupid or just plain irrational. So I kinda gave up on that. I am so sorry that you feel this way, Elf. I really understand how you feel, since I was there too, protesting like you. I guess your feeling is more intense though, as you volunteer to help in animal shelters and saw them being killed almost everyday. I think Nick Blade was there too, he also volunteered to work in an animal shelter. I never did, but I am also highly sensitive to animal sufferings and would love to be their voice as they are voiceless. However, in the end I came to come to terms with it....maybe just for my own peace of mind. Maybe I am deceiving myself, I don't know.

I hope you will feel better soon, Elf :heart: :heart: :hug:

Take precaution even after completing vaccination. You might still be an asymptomatic carrier and can infect others. You might still be infected by a different strain.

Stardust (186190305)

Postby Sammie (13693191) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:22 pm

My take on it is that after BVG supposedly gave a nod to "Easter" with rabbits, eggs and non religious items, now they're swinging back in the opposite direction to make the satanists and wiccans happy.
Sammie (13693191)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 13, 2009

Forum Posts: 441
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Sammie (13693191) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:24 pm

And it is a FACT that rescue groups cannot adopt black cats in October for fear that the animal will be tortured to death.
Sammie (13693191)
YoWorld Level: 318
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 13, 2009

Forum Posts: 441
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Vivica (13404458) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Sammie (13693191) wrote:My take on it is that after BVG supposedly gave a nod to "Easter" with rabbits, eggs and non religious items, now they're swinging back in the opposite direction to make the satanists and wiccans happy.

Satanism and Wicca get such a bad rep... but the religions are actually pretty peaceful! In fact, the Wiccan Rede reads: an harm ye none, do what ye will. Of course, maybe not all Wiccans abide by that... and there may very well be some "evil" Wiccans, but there's also plenty of evil people in all religions. :)

Also, (most) Satanists don't actually worship the devil! The more you know. :idea: :haha: :drink:

Vivica (13404458)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 10086

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Stardust (186190305) wrote:

Protesting about the presentation of witchcraft and its relation to black cats in this game used to be what I did together with Nick Blade, I think it was back in HW2017 and also in HW2018. But then I stopped doing it because I thought: "People can't be SO STUPID as to believe that black cats are evil blah blah blah?" If people believe that, they must be stupid or just plain irrational. So I kinda gave up on that. I am so sorry that you feel this way, Elf. I really understand how you feel, since I was there too, protesting like you. I guess your feeling is more intense though, as you volunteer to help in animal shelters and saw them being killed almost everyday. I think Nick Blade was there too, he also volunteered to work in an animal shelter. I never did, but I am also highly sensitive to animal sufferings and would love to be their voice as they are voiceless. However, in the end I came to come to terms with it....maybe just for my own peace of mind. Maybe I am deceiving myself, I don't know.

Unfortunately people really do think black cats are evil because of the association to witchcraft :wailing: I was made to help animals and so times I've tried to walk away but somethin keeps drawlin me back and won't let me walk away completely. It's exhaustin. It's beyond frustratin especially when games and other things like movies that have influences on real life issues and keep pushin all this regardless if animal advocates are sayin no this effects animals in real life. It's even more frustratin and exhaustin tryin to tackle the bad stigma around Pit Bulls :sick: I'm beyond burned out of this game and think since this current theme has came it's time for me to take a step back.
Remember to load your brain before you shoot your mouth off - Old Farmer's Advice

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:34 pm

Sammie (13693191) wrote:And it is a FACT that rescue groups cannot adopt black cats in October for fear that the animal will be tortured to death.

This this this this right here is exactly what I've tryin to get across. Thank you so much for this! :hug: :heart:
And the fact every single year owners are told to HIDE their black cats and not let them out for fear they'll be tortured :wailing:

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:35 pm

Sammie (13693191) wrote:My take on it is that after BVG supposedly gave a nod to "Easter" with rabbits, eggs and non religious items, now they're swinging back in the opposite direction to make the satanists and wiccans happy.

:haha: The conspiracy theorist in me loves this. :love:

The realist in me knows better. The success of this game depends on satisfying the maximum number of players the maximum amount of time. Trying to guess what combination of themes and items will make that happen is infinitely difficult. Imagine having 10 kids and trying to get them all to like the same thing for dinner (no, you cannot select pizza or candy!! LOL)? While I understand how you feel, I don't think it has any merit.

What I do think has merit is that many of the BVG employees in the theme selection process are younger and more open to considering a wider array of theme options than either Zynga or BVG employees have done in the past. Another huge factor is that so many things have just been rehashed, some 3 times. (And yes, this current version of Arcane Astrology is just another rehash) But rehashes allow BVG to fill gaps and create new content. For the record, every car is a rehash of Ford's Model T. But Rod!!! All cars are different. No, they are not at all different. 4 wheels support a crate that is pushed by an engine and steered. The differences in them is simply art and technology - the same thing BVG uses to differentiate themes.

So while I can giggle with ya at the idea that "BVG is out to get the religious player", I'm going to have to disagree with it on a practical basis. But of course you're welcome to now include me in their conspiracy. That is what the old internet is all about. LOL

Rod (126579776)

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Honestly rabbits shouldn't even be associated with Easter either. Because so many "Easter rabbits" are dumped within months just like "Christmas puppies" are dumped within months :wailing: It's actually to the point most rescues and shelters refuse to adopt out bunnies around Easter :sad:

Postby dianabanana (111036364) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 pm

wiccans and satanist have nothing in common with witches i.e. all witches are not evil, wiccans are not evil and astrology is not evil. now maybe you can call satanists evil, although evil is a moral judgement for every person to make.

the first thing you should realize about me is i'm not you. a lot should start to fall in place for you then.

dianabanana (111036364)
YoWorld Level: 394
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 31, 2009

Forum Posts: 13923
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby TexanSourNSweet (103681266) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Skippy (126579776) wrote:
Skippy (126579776) wrote:Every single player has every opportunity to push BVG down a path for theme selections.

Actually the bolded is a LIE. I complain every witchcraft theme to not have animals associated with witchcraft because I see the back of it and I'm always ignored and it never gets fixed :dizzy: It's literally to the point now where I just don't care enough to hang around the game. I can't sit by and watch these themes come to pass when I know how games influence real life decisions :sick:

You don't like something. It bothers you. And there's nothing wrong with voicing that. But that does not mean BVG will do anything about it. We both know that. They've done dozens of themes with normal cats in them. Hell, I think cats are the most popular and sellable items in Yo. The only time they trick them up is for themes like this. And yes, that upsets you.

We've learned that the only time they'll move the ship on an item is when that item is offensive to people based on race, gender, age, etc etc. I just don't see red eyed black cats as being offensive in those same categories, and that's probably why they use artistic license to profit off the magic/witch stereotype with black cats.

Obviously no one makes us buy stuff. The point of this thread is to use the frustration we feel with themes to generate theme ideas around things we would enjoy buying.

:)

And I'm about to gather my thoughts and make the case for a religious based Easter theme, or at least it's inclusion in next year's Gem Event or Calendar or in some way. I think there is some good stuff in the game already, but there needs to be some religious imagery in the holiday store for both Easter and Christmas. And I'm sure some people will disagree, but that's ok. They are allowed to like and dislike stuff the same way everyone else is. Again, no one makes anyone buy anything.

I don't care about dark themes I can skip those. I care about the association those dark themes have with animals it does in fact bother me so much. You are right no one makes me buy these themes just like nothin is keepin me around this game any more. The red eyes in black cats literally means "evil cat" regardless if that's how you or anyone else looks it facts don't care about feelins!
Every single year rescues and shelters can't adopt black cats durin the month of October because of the association with witchcraft which in returns makes black cats the first to be euthanized. Every single year in October owners of black cats are told to keep their black cat inside and don't let them outside. How fair is that to black cats???? How fair is it to black cats that they have to be euthanized for space because in the month of October rescues and shelters are terrified to adopt black cats out and for darn good reasons too!?! How fair is it to black cats that they have to locked inside durin the month of October?

Postby Denna (10205906) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:52 pm

I love some magic... :smug:

:love:

And I love full moon... :love:
"What doesn't kill me,can only make me STRONGER!.."
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 319
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 16244
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby Chris (4327680) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 pm

So many good points here. I'm heavily involved with dogs; regular rescues, a pit bull rescue, several dog parks, etc. - so I know more than most people realize about what happens in that disgusting world. I'm hyper-sensitive to animal cruelty, as in, I'll be low-key bummed out for the rest of the day simply because of the in-my-face reminder that animals are tortured. What I've learned, though, is that we can't save all of them. I don't "waste" my time fighting about it in a game, because if I'm going to spend energy to improve the situation, I think my time is better spent elsewhere, more actively, physically fighting, helping, donating. (I know Elf does both, none of this is directed at her.) Basically, I choose my battles based on ROI.

As far as holidays, of course BVG isn't "out to get" anyone. They're trying to make money, while also protecting themselves from liability. Liability comes in many forms. If they feel they're getting more pushback on something than it's worth, that's a liability. Boycotting customers are money. Time is money. Thing is, not just here, but everywhere, you can rechannel all that energy you spend complaining into doing what Rod suggests. BVG doesn't know there's some ancient holiday where A celebrates B with C unless they are told. You're upset that there are religious items at Christmas? Start a thread about Kwanza, Ramadan, etc., and give dates, describe meanings, show pictures. Personally, I'd love to know more about pretty much everything, but I only remember to Google the last thing that piqued my interest when I go to bed at night and I'm looking for reading material. Educate us and do most of the work for BVG at the same time, which all contribute towards making a theme actually happen.

I'm like Rod, I'll support a theme for national wart hog day if someone really wants it. I get themes I love pretty often and I'm not a selfish person, so of course I'll help people fight for what they want and feel is underrepresented. Most importantly, we're going to get a lot further overall by helping each other instead of pooing all over other's likes and ideas.
Buy / Sell / Trade / Wishes are at: Christine's Corner Top Wishes: Wish List
Always wishes: XO2018 Black Area Rugs, Dining Chairs/Stools, Brown Hairs (I return any hairs I already have.)

Chris (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 333
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 5395
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:06 pm

Stardust (186190305) wrote:

Unfortunately people really do think black cats are evil because of the association to witchcraft :wailing: I was made to help animals and so times I've tried to walk away but somethin keeps drawlin me back and won't let me walk away completely. It's exhaustin. It's beyond frustratin especially when games and other things like movies that have influences on real life issues and keep pushin all this regardless if animal advocates are sayin no this effects animals in real life. It's even more frustratin and exhaustin tryin to tackle the bad stigma around Pit Bulls :sick: I'm beyond burned out of this game and think since this current theme has came it's time for me to take a step back.

:sad: :sad:
Incredible! This is the 21st century, I believe at least half of the world population is literate and have internet connection either in their home or school or work, and Google is free, Wikipedia is also free. Superstition dies hard :sad:

You are strong, Elf, because I don't think I could ever do it...I mean volunteering in animal shelters that have no no-kill policy. It would give me nightmares. I really can't stand cruelty to animals, I even got mad when I suspect a movie or TV dramas were abusing animals (horses, especially...war horses).

Even talking about it now stresses me and give me the shivers imagining it. My last post about this matter :'(

Take care, Elf. Take a break if you need to. We must take care of ourselves first :hug: :hug:

Stardust (186190305)

Postby BykaChic (134177197) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:08 pm

I go with the flow. If I'm not into it, I skip it and sometimes find a few items I can use elsewhere. If I love it, I blow coins and cash. I'm not into Sci-fi or space stuff. If that's the theme, not a big deal, I play around with other stuff when I have time in game.
Everyone has different tastes. I'm cool with whatever. :smug:
Last edited by BykaChic (134177197) on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me......"

BykaChic (134177197)
YoWorld Level: 360
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 10412

Next

Return to YoWorld Discussions