Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

Postby SLEEPY (160149118) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:46 pm

I have soo had this happen to me before! I feel you, but I would just take it as a compliment. When it happened to me, I was a little upset at first but you have to think of it this way-- as a brilliant designer, you are putting beauty out in the world and people are copying it. I call that success, and it's hard being awesome lol
If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed.
-- Chinese Proverb

SLEEPY (160149118)
YoWorld Level: 270
YoWorld Start Date: May 22, 2010

Forum Posts: 152
Forum Title: YoApprentice

Postby Chris (4327680) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm

To clarify, I'm not blowing anyone off. If you're offended/hurt, you're offended/hurt. I just explained why *I* wouldn't be and put it on a relative scale to quantify it as much as possible, which is my thing - trying to quantify so that my reactions aren't purely emotional.

I make no secret of the fact that I run around screen shooting rooms for later reference. 1. I'm just a hoarder and won't even get around to doing anything with 99% of them, and 2. I screen shoot the ones that contain one of two areas that I am continually challenged in. If I ever "use" one, I'm just mentally deconstructing it to figure out how to recreate the bones, to then fill it with my favorite stuff. I rarely even do bathrooms, but damned if I don't have dozens in my offline collection just because I want to reuse the basic idea in a bedroom or backyard. FOMO. I'll never be able to find one that I remember when I actually want to look at it again.

I don't avoid copying because of the way others feel about it. I avoid it because I'm an artist and I don't think it's right. But, now, don't confuse that with me defending BVG when people know they're giving BVG full ownership of their work and then BVG does something with it that they don't like. That's a whole other issue. Know the laws.
Click Globe for my home(s).

Buy / Sell / Trade / Wishes are at: Christine's Corner
Always wishes: Chairs (esp. dining), Brown Hairs (I return anything I already have.)

Chris (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 3892
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Loie (9730540) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:
Loie (9730540) wrote:thanks so much Willow :hug:

You did a fabulous job on yours, layering is a bear. The house was just a template and what you did with that was amazing in itself. Take all that credit girl, you put in some work on that. I love when I pop over to say hi and it's your default. You STILL love it. :love:
I made one more using this template for Shabby then we actually got roof tiles :phew: :haha: Your one of my favorite decorators in Yo and the inspiration is mutual :heart: :drink:

Thank you! You are one of my fav decorators as well, your ideas are so creative, I know you are a real artist, i'm surrounded by them in my family so maybe i have it in me as well just have not tried yet. Yes layering is difficult, with skies and also the wall tiles, there were few wall tiles that allow windows to overlay them, which is crazy. I remember loving your sky and trying to achieve the same look and failed miserably! It dictated going into a different color scheme but it all worked out and it is definitely one of my all time favorite rooms! I plan on retiring there one day :haha: :heart: :hug: :rose:
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 377
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 4403
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Loie (9730540) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Mz Thang (138469056) wrote:
Loie (9730540) wrote:
Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:I think it can be both.
I had someone ask to do a redo of a custom I made and she did a fabulous job making it her own.It turned out so cute and she thanked me for the inspiration.
On the other hand though I had a buddy I picked up on one of these GE challenges who I was visiting on a coin run and I kept saying WTH is wrong with this game because it kept taking me home when I clicked her. Well it wasn't home. It was an entire avenue based 6 room custom home that she was copying down to the last detail. I left a message saying wow, she erased it. I told my friend check this out and she came back and commented in my box yeah creepy which started a whole war with this buddy's friend about how I should make it private if I didnt want it copied, blah blah blah. So...I blocked both of them. :haha: Went on about my business. Then I got a message on messenger in FB from one of my friends saying I met this girl that has the same house as you and she said you blocked her in game so she just watched your thread in Creative Corners to finish it out. :shocked: PEOPLE ARE WEIRD. I closed my entire thread, not because of the copying per se, but because I dont enjoy being stalked. Come to find our she does this to a LOT of people, not just me. It becomes a problem if you ever decide to enter a deco contest and so does she...with your design.

Dat was me! And I cannot thank you enough ever for helping me creatively like that, I was stuck in a rut of only feeling I could do indoor rooms and once I copied your room ideas it broke me out of that and there is no going back now. Thank you so much Alicen!

I feel exactly as you both do. For me, if someone copied my room exactly I would feel they should have asked ahead of time or given me credit when others complimented the room... that is on her and she'd have to deal with the weird yo karma of not being authentic with herself.. it still would at least irk me.

When anyone visits that room I created based on Alicen's room, I always give her credit for the ideas. It is so cookie cutter in structure. That's just me, it would not feel right and would bug me if I did not do that.

I would just do as you have done, let her know how you feel, delete her, and keep your rooms open if you want to so that your friends can enjoy them.
And Mz Thang, your room is gorgeous! :love:

I hope it's ok to share the room I stole ideas and inspiration from by Alicen. My yoworld opened up because of her and so there is also that aspect when copying, it can lead to tapping into creativity and a kind of happiness.

:heart:

Alicen Chains' room (reminds me of my late grandmother's gorgeous home and garden)

My Room which copied all her ideas but attempted to make it my own in some ways.
Big hugs Alicen, I owe you a lot and hope you share again in the future

LOVE THIS!
You did a BEAUTIFUL JOB - they are both SOoo Pretty!
And clearly DIFFERENT!!
THIS Folks is what an 'INSPIRED' Design looks like - she took an idea and completely made it her own!
Fab Job both of You! :trophy: :trophy:

Thank you!
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 377
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 4403
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Miss T (8432514) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Pinkylola (235554) wrote:One thing is inspiration another thing is to copy every single item, it happens to me many times with my avi. Very invasive and disrespectful but I don't loose sleep over it :haha: some people lack of originality ;)

Girl, you made me want to smash the like button up in here :D :haha: :hug:

The 'It's not a problem for me, therefore it's not a problem' tone-policing is hysterical on here :silly:
ImageImage

Miss T (8432514)
YoWorld Level: 354
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 8503
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby BykaChic (134177197) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Pinkylola (235554) wrote:One thing is inspiration another thing is to copy every single item, it happens to me many times with my avi. Very invasive and disrespectful but I don't loose sleep over it :haha: some people lack of originality ;)

Runs in game to become your twin.... :love:
"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me......"

BykaChic (134177197)
YoWorld Level: 355
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 10142
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Kio (185180932) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm

People used to copy my looks all the time back in the day too. Never lost sleep over it. I just felt like I created an avi sub genre at the time.
:haha:

Kio (185180932)
YoWorld Level: 265
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 21, 2013

Forum Posts: 13407
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Goddess Zane (2435988) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Sam Holmes (139381965) wrote:The Borg do not replicate... they assimilate and add to their collective. Resistance is futile.

:thumbsup:

As to the question, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Goddess Zane (2435988)
YoWorld Level: 362
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 04, 2008

Forum Posts: 924
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Alicen Chains (155870363) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Miss TiFied (8432514) wrote:

The 'It's not a problem for me, therefore it's not a problem' tone-policing is hysterical on here :silly:

:haha: :haha: :haha: So true.
That's why I just pull a Nene...
and let it ride :drink:
WTB: Raining Industrial Windows EMC2019

Alicen Chains (155870363)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 06, 2010

Forum Posts: 12731

Postby Pinkylola (235554) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Right!
Btw we need a like button and a ninja emoji :haha: :hug:
ImageImageImage
Remember you're somebody's reason to smile because you are a joke.

Pinkylola (235554)
YoWorld Level: 310
YoWorld Start Date: May 31, 2008

Forum Posts: 18160
Forum Title: Auction House Hero

Postby Pinkylola (235554) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 pm

BykaChic (134177197) wrote:

Runs in game to become your twin.... :love:

I want to be your twin. :drool: :heart:
ImageImageImage

Pinkylola (235554)

Postby Pinkylola (235554) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm just messing with you Alicen :haha: , I love me some Nene and Kandi :silly:
ImageImageImage

Pinkylola (235554)

Postby ZFGxSilverFoxy (10296439) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 pm

I don't think this is a copycat, but more of inspiration. I am awful at decorating, and always need to browse my friends, tours, and/or forums to get ideas. I really love the glass, and pillar format, that I would copy it myself. I I don't have much of an imagination on my own, and often need an example to motivate my creativity. I think both rooms are fun, and awesome.

I would be so ashamed and embarrassed if I saw someone post about me, especially after they already voiced their concerns, and told me how they felt.

edit: as long as she is giving you credit and not claiming it all as her own, I don't see a problem, that would make me upset too, if so. I always give credit to it is due, too.

ZFGxSilverFoxy (10296439)
YoWorld Level: 341
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 26, 2009

Forum Posts: 12037
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Alicen Chains (155870363) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Pinkylola (235554) wrote:

:haha: :haha:
Oooh I do too :heart: That's why I know what this says :haha: :drink: I'm watching reruns today. I kind of miss the old crew but anxious for the new season to start regardless.
WTB: Raining Industrial Windows EMC2019

Alicen Chains (155870363)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 06, 2010

Forum Posts: 12731

Postby Chris (4327680) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Miss TiFied (8432514) wrote:Girl, you made me want to smash the like button up in here :D :haha: :hug:

My favorite You-tuber says that at the most perfect moments.

Miss TiFied (8432514) wrote:The 'It's not a problem for me, therefore it's not a problem' tone-policing is hysterical on here :silly:

Isn't that every opinion thread?
Click Globe for my home(s).

Buy / Sell / Trade / Wishes are at: Christine's Corner
Always wishes: Chairs (esp. dining), Brown Hairs (I return anything I already have.)

Chris (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 3892
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby JulieHootieScraps (108384802) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm

That's a classic Miss Ti mike drop!

I absolutely get what Alicen is saying. What she's talking about is a whole 'nother level of stalking. Taking inspiration and creating one's own space like Loie did is part of what this game is about. But copying exactly room for room and acting like it was your own creation -- that's not right.

I had that happen irl in a woman's group I was in. My hobby was making rubber stamped cards, which I had done for years, and I showed a few women how to do a nice technique. One of the women copied that and made cards for everyone in the outlying larger group and she got the kudos for something that I had taught her. It's hard to explain how it was rude in the manner she did it. She made it sound like it was her who discovered the technique, and she had rushed to ensure that she got credit for it. There was no working together on the project or even a thank you for showing her how to do it. It was very underhanded and still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
*You don't fool me.* Silence is golden; duct tape is silver.
“You become like the five people you spend the most time with. Choose carefully.” Jim Rohn

JulieHootieScraps (108384802)
YoWorld Level: 350
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 18367
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Pinkylola (235554) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 pm

Pinkylola (235554) wrote:

:haha: :haha:
Oooh I do too :heart: That's why I know what this says :haha: :drink: I'm watching reruns today. I kind of miss the old crew but anxious for the new season to start regardless.

Best crew and best franchise ever :drool: nothing is the same anymore without Nene :sleepy:
ImageImageImage

Pinkylola (235554)

Previous

Return to YoWorld Discussions