Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

Postby Serenity Now (6134566) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

IceAgeComing (154702431) wrote:Not everyones goal is to be "imaginative". Some just want to own a pretty room where to sit with friends.
As long they dont claim to come up with the design of rooom and brag about it to people, i don't see whats wrong with it.

Many many years ago when i played Minecraft, i used to copy block by block huge fancy buildings people offered for download on sites. From rebuilding these buildings, i studied the way of building very fast and soon after i managed to come up with my own designed buildings that were just as impressive, just cause i had learned so much from the copying. But ofcourse when i copied, i always made clear to my friends i didnt come up with them. Honesty is the key here.

But people will have their own opinions and that is completely fine. But just know people have their own styles of playing and who are we to judge them... and publicly crucify them.... This person copied your room in a game, its not that serious, girl didn't burn your house down.

Good point. :thumbsup: Those of us who do enjoy the creative aspect of decorating may tend to forget or not realize that some play for other reasons, and may just want a pretty room to enjoy.

It would be awesome if there was a feature that allowed players to decorate rooms in other players homes -- with permission of course, lol.
When life gives you lemons, give the lemons back. Why were the lemons free? Is something wrong with the lemons? Are the lemons haunted? Be suspicious of the lemons.

A work in progress...
Horrendous House
Serenity Now (6134566)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 10, 2008

Forum Posts: 3292
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Mz Thang (138469056) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 pm

I WILL AGREE TO SEE HALFWAY - THAT IT'S PROBABLY A BIT OF BOTH = A TACKY, UNIMAGINATIVE COMPLIMENT! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Listen in the past I have often seen elements of something I designed in many of Buddies places! And I agree it's so much fun to know that you inspired someone to try something that they never had before!
In the early Zynga days I even had the passwords to 2 of my buddies accounts = they gave it to me so I could enter and create elements or whole rooms for them...These ladies enjoyed what they did but couldn't create Stairs out of Shelves nor Multi level rooms - No matter how I tried to show or explain it to them!...I used to encourage them to Take the design apart, and then try putting it back again in order to get more of idea of what I had done. I loved Loved LOVED seeing them having fun and improving on what they wanted to express.
They would ask me to do a Room - and 9 times out of 10 = They changed it!...To put their own stamp on it!

More recently, I had a Buddy who always marvelled at my room designs and said she looked forward to seeing what my new creation would be - I showed her a few things she asked me about layering - then about 6 months later = it was ME who went RUSHING TO SEE WHAT SHE would create with the New Stuff!...And not a single time did I think of her designs - that looks something I just finished where she said to me...
' I love what you did here!"

I say all the Above to explain - that I have seen inspired rooms - I myself have been inspired by others rooms - I've even created rooms for others BUT =
I have NEVER SEEN Anyone do an IDENTICAL LAYOUT, PLACEMENT AND CHOICE OF FURNITURE! And on occasion use of Wallpaper/Flooring = It's Weird to Me..... :eh:

Mine is not the only Copy - I saw another of her buddies say something along the lines of 'WoW' - this looks exactly like mine!...I will add - that buddy viewed it as most here = A Compliment!
....BUT That message was deleted along with anything I posted to her. - she only keeps the Compliments on her room designs :haha: :haha:

HOWEVER, I KNOW everyone enjoys the game differently and realise that what I never once considered was -
she probably enjoys making copies as much I love trying to come up with new ideas!

Question is = SURELY, after all this copying she KNOWS what/how to put a room together?....
But the answer is probably NO!...Cos now in the Living Room re-jig - the Bath Tub is Behind the Sofa and the Washing Machine is in the Centre of the Room! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I laugh every time I see it!...Admittedly - It amused me to put her on blast and see the Room Transformation.

AND GUYS PLEASE! STAY ON POINT = THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT RIGHT OR WRONG!!! I AM NOT ASKING THAT....RE-VISIT THE QUESTION!....I AM SIMPLY ASKING - HOW DO/WOULD YOU VIEW IT???

IS IT A COMPLIMENT IN YOUR VIEW OR DO YOU VIEW IT AS TACKY WITH A LACK OF IMAGINATION?....

I didn't expect to go on as much as this either!
Last edited by Mz Thang (138469056) on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mz Thang (138469056)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 74
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Alicen Chains (155870363) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm

@TUSCANY ~ Yes LOL it was part of the reason I deleted that thread. You know how antisocial I am, I've only been online in Yo twice since 2014 :haha: :haha: I mean truly antisocial, not these peeps that claim it then show up in every Viking/forum party pic ever posted. I see you people posing :smug: :haha:
I went straight underground, off grid till I felt safe to open my inbox again without it being filled with filth. And also tinypic was going down and it was a mess. 5 years of pics disappearing. :pukeface: Friend me up girl anytime :heart:
@MzThang ~ Creepy asf. I dont care how many disagree or take offense until they've landed in a room of a virtual stranger that has never even so much as messaged me but has had the time to make repeated visits, and I mean repeated, because I move stuff for days. Copy 6 whole rooms and have the nerve to get mad for me to print 3 letters called wow in their inbox. And wow could've meant anything, shes the one got all butthurt. :haha: No I will not make it private, I'll block them and continue doing me. I agree with you, miss me with all that copying mess its unnerving. :thumbsup: :heart:
@Mario~ You do realize some of the bigger deco contests involve millions of coins. :idea:

Alicen Chains (155870363)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 06, 2010

Forum Posts: 12717
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby CountryDude89 (11877186) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 pm

I wouldn't copy, id just move into your house, and claim it was mine. :angel:
CountryDude89 (11877186)
YoWorld Level: 208
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 18, 2009

Forum Posts: 20562
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby Loie (9730540) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:I think it can be both.
I had someone ask to do a redo of a custom I made and she did a fabulous job making it her own.It turned out so cute and she thanked me for the inspiration.
On the other hand though I had a buddy I picked up on one of these GE challenges who I was visiting on a coin run and I kept saying WTH is wrong with this game because it kept taking me home when I clicked her. Well it wasn't home. It was an entire avenue based 6 room custom home that she was copying down to the last detail. I left a message saying wow, she erased it. I told my friend check this out and she came back and commented in my box yeah creepy which started a whole war with this buddy's friend about how I should make it private if I didnt want it copied, blah blah blah. So...I blocked both of them. :haha: Went on about my business. Then I got a message on messenger in FB from one of my friends saying I met this girl that has the same house as you and she said you blocked her in game so she just watched your thread in Creative Corners to finish it out. :shocked: PEOPLE ARE WEIRD. I closed my entire thread, not because of the copying per se, but because I dont enjoy being stalked. Come to find our she does this to a LOT of people, not just me. It becomes a problem if you ever decide to enter a deco contest and so does she...with your design.

Dat was me! And I cannot thank you enough ever for helping me creatively like that, I was stuck in a rut of only feeling I could do indoor rooms and once I copied your room ideas it broke me out of that and there is no going back now. Thank you so much Alicen!

I feel exactly as you both do. For me, if someone copied my room exactly I would feel they should have asked ahead of time or given me credit when others complimented the room... that is on her and she'd have to deal with the weird yo karma of not being authentic with herself.. it still would at least irk me.

When anyone visits that room I created based on Alicen's room, I always give her credit for the ideas. It is so cookie cutter in structure. That's just me, it would not feel right and would bug me if I did not do that.

I would just do as you have done, let her know how you feel, delete her, and keep your rooms open if you want to so that your friends can enjoy them.
And Mz Thang, your room is gorgeous! :love:

I hope it's ok to share the room I stole ideas and inspiration from by Alicen. My yoworld opened up because of her and so there is also that aspect when copying, it can lead to tapping into creativity and a kind of happiness.

:heart:

Alicen Chains' room (reminds me of my late grandmother's gorgeous home and garden)

My Room which copied all her ideas but attempted to make it my own in some ways.
Big hugs Alicen, I owe you a lot and hope you share again in the future
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 377
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 4380
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Willow (13350872) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Loie (9730540) wrote:
I had someone ask to do a redo of a custom I made and she did a fabulous job making it her own.It turned out so cute and she thanked me for the inspiration.
On the other hand though I had a buddy I picked up on one of these GE challenges who I was visiting on a coin run and I kept saying WTH is wrong with this game because it kept taking me home when I clicked her. Well it wasn't home. It was an entire avenue based 6 room custom home that she was copying down to the last detail. I left a message saying wow, she erased it. I told my friend check this out and she came back and commented in my box yeah creepy which started a whole war with this buddy's friend about how I should make it private if I didnt want it copied, blah blah blah. So...I blocked both of them. :haha: Went on about my business. Then I got a message on messenger in FB from one of my friends saying I met this girl that has the same house as you and she said you blocked her in game so she just watched your thread in Creative Corners to finish it out. :shocked: PEOPLE ARE WEIRD. I closed my entire thread, not because of the copying per se, but because I dont enjoy being stalked. Come to find our she does this to a LOT of people, not just me. It becomes a problem if you ever decide to enter a deco contest and so does she...with your design.

Dat was me! And I cannot thank you enough ever for helping me creatively like that, I was stuck in a rut of only feeling I could do indoor rooms and once I copied your room ideas it broke me out of that and there is no going back now. Thank you so much Alicen!

I feel exactly as you both do. For me, if someone copied my room exactly I would feel they should have asked ahead of time or given me credit when others complimented the room... that is on her and she'd have to deal with the weird yo karma of not being authentic with herself.. it still would at least irk me.

When anyone visits that room I created based on Alicen's room, I always give her credit for the ideas. It is so cookie cutter in structure. That's just me, it would not feel right and would bug me if I did not do that.

I would just do as you have done, let her know how you feel, delete her, and keep your rooms open if you want to so that your friends can enjoy them.

I hope it's ok to share the room I stole ideas and inspiration from by Alicen. My yoworld opened up because of her and so there is also that aspect when copying, it can lead to tapping into creativity and a kind of happiness.

Alicen Chains' room (reminds me of my late grandmother's gorgeous home and garden)

My Room which copied all her ideas but attempted to make it my own in some ways.

Omg Loie, your look is adorable :hug:
Bring it
Willow (13350872)
YoWorld Level: 269
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 18579
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Willow (13350872) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Loie (9730540) wrote:

These rooms are spectacular :shocked: :shocked:
Bring it
Willow (13350872)
YoWorld Level: 269
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 18579
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Loie (9730540) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 am

thanks so much Willow :hug:
Loie (9730540)
YoWorld Level: 377
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 19, 2009

Forum Posts: 4380
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Alicen Chains (155870363) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 am

Loie (9730540) wrote:thanks so much Willow :hug:

You did a fabulous job on yours, layering is a bear. The house was just a template and what you did with that was amazing in itself. Take all that credit girl, you put in some work on that. I love when I pop over to say hi and it's your default. You STILL love it. :love:
I made one more using this template for Shabby then we actually got roof tiles :phew: :haha: Your one of my favorite decorators in Yo and the inspiration is mutual :heart: :drink:

Alicen Chains (155870363)
YoWorld Level: 317
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 06, 2010

Forum Posts: 12717

Postby Mz Thang (138469056) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Loie (9730540) wrote:

LOVE THIS!
You did a BEAUTIFUL JOB - they are both SOoo Pretty!
And clearly DIFFERENT!!
THIS Folks is what an 'INSPIRED' Design looks like - she took an idea and completely made it her own!
Fab Job both of You! :trophy: :trophy:

Mz Thang (138469056)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 74
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Hesse YDC (103418961) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm

I have copied just one time. It was Renee's DIY pirate ship. I don't decorate much and I got lots of tips when I copied it and learnt a lot. After I copied it I did some changes, so at the end it was not exact copy. I confess I felt and still do little guilty.

Hesse YDC (103418961)
YoWorld Level: 292
YoWorld Start Date: May 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 2842
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby SUSHigirl (111646228) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:14 pm

I mean to have the gall to make it your homespace and have it exactly the same just shows complete lack of respect to the original decorator. That's all I have to say about that :dizzy:

SUSHigirl (111646228)
YoWorld Level: 339
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 1896
Forum Title: YoFan

Postby Chris (4327680) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:38 pm

It doesn't/wouldn't bother me at all. I'm a graphic designer, and people don't even bother copying a lot of my stuff, they just use it without paying. There are entire Facebook groups created for nothing at all EXCEPT collecting and sharing as much for-fee art as they can get their hands on. It put a lot of small businesses out of business. So, I can't get riled up about it happening in a game where literally no damage is done when my experiences with it are on a scale where people lose income and sometimes the entire ability to work from home and the domino effect that causes.
Click Globe for my home(s).

Buy / Sell / Trade / Wishes are at: Christine's Corner
Always wishes: Chairs (esp. dining), Brown Hairs (I return anything I already have.)

Chris (4327680)
YoWorld Level: 314
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 3881

Postby Xx Peach xX (143363031) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm

Compliment.. a huge one to me tbh
One time I even told someone to sc my avi (it was a creative look) after she gave me a big compliment and she replied with "I already did that" :haha:
Another time one girl told me to sell all pieces of my avi (creative look) so she could have it and I personally wasn't bothered one bit, just told her that I can't because I don't have extras (tbh if I did have extras I would 100% sell)
Same thing with rooms (even though I barely decorate), but I still wouldn't mind at all. I would even send screenshots of the items I use if they wanted.
Adopt Black Cats <3 They’re underrated and deserve all the love
Xx Peach xX (143363031)
YoWorld Level: 274
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 31, 2009

Forum Posts: 5423
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Judes CDN (1597633) » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 pm

I'm always looking for new layouts for rooms. I use peoples all the time,but I put my own spin on it when decorating.
I also have a friend that copies my rooms and others EXACTLY the same. It don't bother me. But I love your layout ;)
Judes CDN (1597633)
YoWorld Level: 330
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 30, 2008

Forum Posts: 5657
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Miss T (8432514) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:39 am

Alicen Chains (155870363) wrote:@TUSCANY ~ Yes LOL it was part of the reason I deleted that thread. You know how antisocial I am, I've only been online in Yo twice since 2014 :haha: :haha: I mean truly antisocial, not these peeps that claim it then show up in every Viking/forum party pic ever posted. I see you people posing :smug: :haha:
I went straight underground, off grid till I felt safe to open my inbox again without it being filled with filth. And also tinypic was going down and it was a mess. 5 years of pics disappearing. :pukeface: Friend me up girl anytime :heart:
@MzThang ~ Creepy asf. I dont care how many disagree or take offense until they've landed in a room of a virtual stranger that has never even so much as messaged me but has had the time to make repeated visits, and I mean repeated, because I move stuff for days. Copy 6 whole rooms and have the nerve to get mad for me to print 3 letters called wow in their inbox. And wow could've meant anything, shes the one got all butthurt. :haha: No I will not make it private, I'll block them and continue doing me. I agree with you, miss me with all that copying mess its unnerving. :thumbsup: :heart:
@Mario~ You do realize some of the bigger deco contests involve millions of coins. :idea:

I DGAF who doesn't like my opinion either - I'm 100% with you on this one Alicen ;)

Maybe the people who don't care aren't the ones whose rooms get copied? :shh:

One of my friends used to pinch my ideas and I honestly didn't mind at all. I felt flattered. I thought it was cool and that I was helping her improve her technique until I walked into an exact replica room she'd done of one of mine :sick:

I showed it to my husband - it even creeped him out so I knew I wasn't overreacting.

Thinking back now - part of what pissed me off was that she didn't even ask if it would be okay.....if I minded her doing an exact copy of a room I created.

She had no regard for how what she did would make ME feel. She took something of mine, my creativity and imagination, without my permission.

And like I said - general ideas, no problem at all. But the whole room? Virtually every single item and placement? Knowing I'd see it?
:shocked: o_o

No, sorry - that's some BS right there and I'm never going to understand or defend it.
ImageImage

Miss T (8432514)
YoWorld Level: 354
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 01, 2009

Forum Posts: 8496
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Rod (126579776) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 am

One of the companies I work with puts on an arts festival in our downtown. These aren't $5 characters on easels. These are serious artists selling expensive stuff that come from around the globe to participate. They make a living selling art.

I got a call one year that we had an issue. An artist claimed that another one at the event had taken one of her works and replicated it and had it up for sale. We investigated and I'll be damned if it wasn't EXACTLY the same work, sized to a smaller scale. So I dug deeper and found that many of her works were replicas of other artists that she simply reformatted and resold. It was a disaster. We removed her booth and stolen designs during the event and assisted the cops in their investigation and prosecution (some of the works were copywritten).

I still remember how angry and hurt the woman was that identified the art thief. You couldn't have stolen her child and made her angrier or more upset. I don't blame people for getting upset if their work has been compromised. It is a gutting thing depending on how invested you are in what you do.

:rose:

There's a time that I remember
When I did not know no pain
When I believed in forever
And everything would stay the same-Maroon 5

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory-Dr Suess
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 346
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 42265
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Serenity Now (6134566) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55 am

This may be "just a game" as some have said while brushing away the notion of anyone being bothered by finding out their room has been copied, but our decorated rooms are an expression of our own personal creativity. To have someone copy that and claim credit is not right, especially if they don't even ask permission. And, yeah, it can be creepy to find out someone has been going into one's rooms with the intent of copying them.

It would be understandable if someone wants to know how to do one aspect of a room, and asks about that, but to copy the entire room, and not even bother to get creative and change it up to make it their own? No, no, and no.
When life gives you lemons, give the lemons back. Why were the lemons free? Is something wrong with the lemons? Are the lemons haunted? Be suspicious of the lemons.

A work in progress...
Horrendous House
Serenity Now (6134566)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 10, 2008

Forum Posts: 3292

Postby Kio (185180932) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Easy solution: don't add people, set your rooms to private, don't share your work, don't share your precious deco secrets, if it's so holy that nobody can share in the fun of your room layout without permission. If someone copied one of my rooms I wouldn't even consider it my business, let alone roast them for it.

Kio (185180932)
YoWorld Level: 265
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 21, 2013

Forum Posts: 13387

Postby Pinkylola (235554) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 pm

One thing is inspiration another thing is to copy every single item, it happens to me many times with my avi. Very invasive and disrespectful but I don't loose sleep over it :haha: some people lack of originality ;)
ImageImageImage
Remember you're somebody's reason to smile because you are a joke.

Pinkylola (235554)
YoWorld Level: 309
YoWorld Start Date: May 31, 2008

Forum Posts: 18135
Forum Title: Auction House Hero

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions