Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: Design Copying Compliment or Unimaginative and Tacky?

Postby Toink Toink (117686344) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 am

I'm doing a collection of what the ?????? rooms. The odd compilation.
Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:
Toink Toink (117686344) wrote:I hope nobody copies my poop pile room :cat:

Off to copy now LOL! :hug:
We are out of rice krispies har har

Toink Toink (117686344)
YoWorld Level: 385
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 8921
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast
Location: Near the kitchen cause kitchen got food .. nom nom like pig

Postby YDZ Blodreina (6077295) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 am

Kio (185180932) wrote:It's a yoworld room. Not plagarism for crying out loud lol..

^^^^This! So much this!!! ^^^^

YDZ Blodreina (6077295)
YoWorld Level: 351
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 08, 2008

Forum Posts: 6071
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:46 am

Toink Toink (117686344) wrote:I'm doing a collection of what the ?????? rooms. The odd compilation.

:haha: :haha: You so need to add link when done. I love WTF stuff! :hug:
Skylar Heartbinder (119863787)
YoWorld Level: 311
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 06, 2009

Forum Posts: 7854

Postby YDZ Blodreina (6077295) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am

Toink Toink (117686344) wrote:I'm doing a collection of what the ?????? rooms. The odd compilation.

:haha: :haha: You so need to add link when done. I love WTF stuff! :hug:

I want to see your poop pile room!! :haha: :haha:

YDZ Blodreina (6077295)
YoWorld Level: 351
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 08, 2008

Forum Posts: 6071
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Mz Thang (138469056) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Kio (185180932) wrote:It's a yoworld room. Not plagarism for crying out loud lol..

Truth is hat 'Plagiarism' and 'Copying' are the same bedfellows = They both lack imagination therefore claim something they didn't create as theirs!...And I KNOW she copied it!

THE QUESTION is When someone copies.....

Is this to be considered A COMPLIMENT?

OR

Unimaginative, and Tacky?....

I see it as the latter....Although I'm quite aware of the saying....'Imitation is blah blah blah!'

Mz Thang (138469056)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 74
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby Mz Thang (138469056) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:I'm sorry I can't get past the washer and dryer in middle of room. Where the F they hooked up to? LOL! OCD is b*tch!

I don't know how it looked before, so I would say compliment. When I see a look I really like, I don't copy it exactly, but if lets say the background is amazing and I want mine to look that way, I will sure as hell try to get it exactly like. The rest of room is from my crazy arse brain, but the part I like the most I try to get perfect. If they are always doing it, then yeah maybe just remove from friends?

For me it's - the Bath Tub behind the Sofa! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Mz Thang (138469056)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 74

Postby Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Mz Thang (138469056) wrote:
Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:I'm sorry I can't get past the washer and dryer in middle of room. Where the F they hooked up to? LOL! OCD is b*tch!

I don't know how it looked before, so I would say compliment. When I see a look I really like, I don't copy it exactly, but if lets say the background is amazing and I want mine to look that way, I will sure as hell try to get it exactly like. The rest of room is from my crazy arse brain, but the part I like the most I try to get perfect. If they are always doing it, then yeah maybe just remove from friends?

For me it's - the Bath Tub behind the Sofa! :haha: :haha: :haha:

:haha: :haha:
Skylar Heartbinder (119863787)
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 06, 2009

Forum Posts: 7854

Postby Kio (185180932) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Truth is hat 'Plagiarism' and 'Copying' are the same bedfellows = They both lack imagination therefore claim something they didn't create as theirs!...And I KNOW she copied it!

OR

I see it as the latter....Although I'm quite aware of the saying....'Imitation is blah blah blah!'

I don't condone copying or plagarism to be okay in licensed work necessarily but in the case of this game we are not completing finished licensed projects, the deco is the artwork and trademark of BVG only and we only move them around on a screen. So there's no crime there realistically. However to answer the question I believe it is imaginative of someone to copy a yo-room because it means they are learning and were greatly inspired. I don't really sniff around other people's houses to care what they do though.

Kio (185180932)
YoWorld Level: 265
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 21, 2013

Forum Posts: 13408
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Shaggy Glitternuts (126579776) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Every person will feel differently about it. I'm sure a few of us could probably feel both ways at different times, depending on what mood we were in. It is flattering to be copied, even if it upsets you or anyone else.

Your original is still special. If you feel violated because they "stole" your idea, that's ok. It is a valid emotion. It will soften with time and hopefully you'll enjoy the fact that you are good enough at it for someone to take the time to want to be in the very same space you created. That is a high compliment. The first time someone copied one of my looks I got mad, but now I know they just liked it and want to have fun. And I'm good with that.

:thumbsup:

There's a time that I remember
When I did not know no pain
When I believed in forever
And everything would stay the same-Maroon 5

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory-Dr Suess
Shaggy Glitternuts (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 347
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 42300
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby BykaChic (134177197) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 pm

I have a friend who has copied some of my rooms. Doesn't bother me in the least. I figured she liked mine so much that she wanted her home or room like that to enjoy. I even told her what items I used.
"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me......"

BykaChic (134177197)
YoWorld Level: 355
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 10142
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Smitten Kitten (136864592) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery.

It's a compliment. You do beautiful work. :rose:

Smitten Kitten (136864592)
YoWorld Level: 346
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 20475
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby XxDarkMarioxX (104376062) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm

This is just an game and if someone copies people rooms then there is really no harm done because there doing nothing wrong its just an game and people like taking ideas from other people rooms. Would understand if they copy your outfit and pretend to be you in the game lol

XxDarkMarioxX (104376062)
YoWorld Level: 355
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 18183
Forum Title: YoAddict

Postby Quarantined Mata (13429328) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I have a friend that every time I whine about something asks "but, did you die?"

It's a game, let her be or hide your houses.
Et tu, Brute?

Snitches get stitches
Quarantined Mata (13429328)
YoWorld Level: 305
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 10, 2009

Forum Posts: 4536
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby DianaBanana (111036364) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Koats (185046372) wrote:I've had people message me about recreating a room I've done either on here or from just visiting my place in game. I post my rooms on here hoping it'll give someone an idea or at least give them the incentive to decorate. I'm not the best decorator but I enjoy trying and I have learned a lot from amazing decorators. If someone recreates a room I made I take it as a huge compliment. :hug:

:idea: :star: :trophy: :drink:

i'm such a not good decorater i don't thimk any yo has ever copied any room i ever decorated so it's hard for me to relate to this. i will just say it's much easier and more plesant to teach yourself not to care if another yo copies your room or outfit. just take it as a compliment and if you think the other yo is unimagative that's not your ptroblem it's theirs
[url=https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/index.php?d=APLiving-111036364]Image[/ur

all i want to do now is bake and watch hallmark channel christmas movies
some people's idea of free speech is they are free to say whatever they like, but if anyone says anything back it's an outrage. - winston churchill

DianaBanana (111036364)
YoWorld Level: 388
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 31, 2009

Forum Posts: 13102
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Denna (10205906) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:14 pm

"Often imitated, never duplicated..."

With that said, I would take it as compliment. :)
"What doesn't kill me,can only make me stronger...."
I am a proud granny! :heart:
Denna (10205906)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 25, 2009

Forum Posts: 15160
Forum Title: YoFiend

Postby Serenity Now (6134566) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

OR

Why can't it be both? :haha:

I think it depends on a few things...

If someone made exact copies of several of my rooms, I don't think I would like it. If they made an exact copy of one room, I hope I would find it within myself to be flattered and not let it bother me too much, and maybe even happy that they are finding pleasure in something I created. Although it would be nice if they give credit for their 'inspiration' should they be complimented on the room, and they should not enter the room in any room contests since it wasn't their own original concept -- we're talking rooms that are exact, or close to exact, copies here.

I have been messaged before asking how I did a room, and they made it clear they were copying my room. After replying to a few messages that had various questions on how I did the room, it did start to get really annoying that they were copying my room, and not just borrowing one idea for a specific thing in the room. After that, I stopped sharing my rooms in the forums as much.

I don't mind if a room I decorate gives someone else inspiration, and actually that can be a great feeling.

There are also times when two rooms may look similar because we are all given the same tools in this game -- the rooms, wall and floor tiles, windows, doors, decor items. This happened to me once years ago when everyone was sharing rooms from the current theme at the time. This one player, who I'm not sure plays anymore, implied that my kitchen was copied from hers because they were similar in that we both had used the same thing for the counters, even though the rest of the kitchen was different. I don't recall if counters weren't provided in that theme or if they were yocash, but the item we both used was from that current theme, so we were both using the available tools. She never came out and said anything to me, but word gets back to ya, ya know? Thankfully, the person she told this to pointed out to her that everyone has the same tools at their disposal and coincidences like that can happen. However, I have never forgotten that, and to this day I sometimes feel 'guilty' if my room looks remotely like anyone else's even though I didn't see their room before decorating mine, and in spite of the fact the incident was a coincidence.

That said, I will occasionally change some minor detail in my room if I get inspiration from another room. Recently, for example, I replaced the door on the Thanksgiving home with an orange door because I saw someone else using the orange door and thought how great it looked on the front of the house. If someone likes something in one of my rooms and uses that same item, that doesn't bother me. We are all here to be creative and share our creativity. This may be 'just a game', but even great artists (whether that be painting, music, etcetcera) get inspiration from other artists.

This turned out to be way longer than I had intended. LOL

TLDR: The person obviously admired your creativity. How flattering is that? They changed their room so that it is no longer an exact copy after you spoke to them, which means they got a bit creative on their own. Hopefully they weren't too embarrassed, and maybe their new room will inspire them to get creative with even more rooms. :)
Last edited by Serenity Now (6134566) on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, give the lemons back. Why were the lemons free? Is something wrong with the lemons? Are the lemons haunted? Be suspicious of the lemons.

A work in progress...
Horrendous House

Serenity Now (6134566)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 10, 2008

Forum Posts: 3309
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby cinderella (121186772) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm

lord seriously? it's just a game and you should take it as a compliment that she copied it, it means your room is inspiring. :)

cinderella (121186772)
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 12, 2009

Forum Posts: 280
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Prism (110596630) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm

Your room is gorgeous and shows a lot of design talent! I think what she did was tacky. Unfortunately, nothing on here is copyrighted. I have to say I think she has crazy skills at copying someone's design. But when she moved stuff around and used other furniture, it pales in comparison to yours; which is to say that she has mediocre design skills. Finding a way to come to terms with it is going to be your only option. :hug:

Prism (110596630)
YoWorld Level: 310
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 29, 2009

Forum Posts: 30

Postby IceAgeComing (154702431) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Not everyones goal is to be "imaginative". Some just want to own a pretty room where to sit with friends.
As long they dont claim to come up with the design of rooom and brag about it to people, i don't see whats wrong with it.

Many many years ago when i played Minecraft, i used to copy block by block huge fancy buildings people offered for download on sites. From rebuilding these buildings, i studied the way of building very fast and soon after i managed to come up with my own designed buildings that were just as impressive, just cause i had learned so much from the copying. But ofcourse when i copied, i always made clear to my friends i didnt come up with them. Honesty is the key here.

But people will have their own opinions and that is completely fine. But just know people have their own styles of playing and who are we to judge them... and publicly crucify them.... This person copied your room in a game, its not that serious, girl didn't burn your house down.
IceAgeComing (154702431)
YoWorld Level: 264
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 27, 2010

Forum Posts: 262
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Sam Holmes (139381965) » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

BykaChic (134177197) wrote:I have a friend who has copied some of my rooms. Doesn't bother me in the least. I figured she liked mine so much that she wanted her home or room like that to enjoy. I even told her what items I used.

:thumbsup: Ditto!

I'm not getting paid for my room designs in this pixel game... :haha:

Sam Holmes (139381965)
YoWorld Level: 365
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 25289
Forum Title: YoManiac

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions