[FEEDBACK] Design Contest Suggestions

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: [FEEDBACK] Design Contest Suggestions

Postby Crack Fox (5112507) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:08 pm

Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:
Polygon Pervert (5112507) wrote:
Skylar Heartbinder (119863787) wrote:
Polygon Pervert (5112507) wrote:I think you should listen to what your players say over all. Not just the forum.
:D :bye:

True, but from what I understand the DC items are a forum only thing right? So for those they should prolly listen to the ones that actually participate in them. If I am wrong and you can enter not being on forum, sorry! I just know they usually have to use forum in one way or another, usually by posting in the DC threads!

It also serves the wider community. As others in game buy the end content. We are not in a bubble and perhaps some players need a nudge or a reminder that forums exist. Like all these other in game announcements we get.
Perhaps you are right, maybe the wider audience is of no value when it comes to forum matters .

:thumbsup: :bye:

I agree with the wider audience participation part, don't get me wrong. I just thought this thread was only specifically about the rules and such going forward for the DC is all. From what I know that is all done on forums. So, that is why I hoped they listen to those that actually participate here more than those that don't. As for what type of contest and items the players want I would love for them to ask in game. Then maybe make a DC out of it? That way in game voices are heard on what they want to buy too.

I think asking what other players would like created for these contests would be a great idea.

:thumbsup: :D
Crack Fox (5112507)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 14, 2008

Forum Posts: 1430
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby DonnaSue Latorio (187546514) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:53 pm

I've actually typed and erased multiple times, I'm only going to add a few things since others already stated my opinions:

1. In regards to the limit on entries - 2 vs 5, I would say 5 is a better number, especially in the single item categories. I also like the idea that if an item is part of a full outfit, that it not be entered in the single category as is (perhaps a color variation that is different? or slightly different style?)

2. In regards to splitting up artisians and innovators - I agree on this. No matter how good a hand drawn item is, people will veer toward the computer generated one as it is easier to visualise it in game. The same holds true for digital innovators vs paper innovators.

3. In regards to not following the rules - I FIRMLY believe that if someone is caught breaking the rules, or just going against the "honor" of the contest, they should have ALL entries removed from said contest. And than 3 shots and your banned from DCs permanently. Colorizing copyrighted material, tracing and changing slightly other designers previous items - these are just 2 offences that would be going against the values of the DC. I also think there should be an easier way for forumers to report these transgressions anonymously.

4. In regards to individual threads for each category - I agree here as well. It makes it easier to see what has been submitted already. If we're limited and say someone already did a penguin yober, if I can only submit a set amount - I would be less apt to also do a penguin and more apt to do something else, therefore giving the YoWorldians more choices.

5. In regards to voting - I feel that BVG should first weed out all the entries that don't qualify THAN put everything that DOES qualify to a vote (keeping artisians and innovators separate). Once THAT vote is done and finalists are chosen - we should be able to see the tally and vote for all finalists (again when winners are announced we should see the tally). Again, this helps and encourages those of us who are new to practice and improve. Example - if I knew that my Pixetta the Penguin yober had only missed by 2 or 3 votes, I'd be apt to resubmit her. However, if she lost by a landsllide, I would know something needed to be reworked and would file her away. I'm sure other designers agree.

That's all for now, but I may have more. Thank you BVG for listening to us.

DonnaSue Latorio (187546514)
YoWorld Level: 345
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 13, 2017

Forum Posts: 727
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby xXEuphoriaXx (8955035) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pm

I would rather vote for the finalists ourselves.
I agree that full outfits should be released all at once.
The face case category should be brought back.
Winning artists designs should be made as the artist intended, size, colors, etc.
The more design contests the better :thumbsup:

xXEuphoriaXx (8955035)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 2624
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Crack Fox (5112507) » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:25 am

I would like to see unisex outfit category make a return. From what I have seen earlier in this thread seemingly people disliked voting for all the entries that satisfied the entry requirements.
I rather liked the fact that there was so much variety and that we got to vote from them.
I have read that the Artisan level shouldn’t be mixed up with the innovator category. Did this happen before? I think I missed that.
Anyhoos only other thing I would like to see is more inventive themes to create for..instead of summer whatever...the usual holidays...be nice to have something that requires some imagination...
:bye: :D :thumbsup:
Crack Fox (5112507)
YoWorld Level: 245
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 14, 2008

Forum Posts: 1430
Forum Title: YoFollower

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:56 am

Catering to players of both genders and/or dressing their avatar as both genders has been working well in recent design contests.
Considering how many awesome entries these contests usually get, the number of actual outfits and items we end up getting in store from these contests has also been decent.
It's also pretty cool that there are three different levels of design, giving people who may not have fancy graphic design programs available and mastered them, a chance to win.
What I did not like, however, was that some items were only available to get through bundle deals or as a VIP subscriber, and I say this as a person who is a VIP subscriber (small package) who buys bundle deals worth at least 100 Euros (over 100 US dollars) each month.
Mostly I buy one large deal with a good ratio (10:1 or better) and may buy additional smaller bundle deals if the items in them are very enticing to me. That goes for regular items. I boycot all bundle deals which come with design contest items,as I disagree with them being placed in those details only, and are not offered in store as well.
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 479
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 41549
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby Tiff (7426240) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:16 pm

This is what I would like to see:

1. Hand drawn and digital art kept separate in voting and also have 2 entry threads for each.

2. As there was an over abundance of hand drawn entries, limit the amount allowed there. For digital art, it takes so long to make them, that there never really seems to be a problem with too many from one person. I don't think there is a limit needed there.

3. I would like to see the full outfit category and just outfit category again. I also love how it is broken down with the handheld, hats, yobers, etc entry threads.

4. if you do a whimsical and regular category, please make it so they are put in separate threads. It gets confusing other wise.

5. Have an animated clothing, yober, handheld, etc category.

6. Do not require back views or variants until the design has won. It sucks the fun out of it other wise.

7. Be sure to give the designers their designs that won at least a couple hours before they hit the store. As is, we sometimes have to wait a couple days after they are in the store before you send them to us.

8. We need a higher item limit for full outfits. The face case usually takes up 5-6 items. It doesn't leave much to work with.

9. Only one vote per person. I've heard people admit they sit there and vote over and over all day.

10. If possible, it would be awesome if the winners got a percent of the yo sales in yocash and yocoin from their created items that are put in the game.

11. Only items that we are voting on should be in the picture so there is no confusion. A smaller picture could be included that says "on avi" or something equivalent. But it should be clearly labeled as such. There has been confusion in the past on what was being voted on for some pictures.

12. Entry pictures should not have any designer names on them. Make it anonymous.

13. I liked when you put who was first, second, third, etc. in the winner thread. It let me know which didn't win, but where close and just slightly off the mark. It also let me know where I stood with the ones that did win and how much I needed to work on something or improve. :)

14. Valentines DC contest pretty please. I'd also like to see more every day themed DC challenges, other than just the usual holiday theme dc challenges. Take an upcoming theme and hold a DC challenge for it. Have the winners be all the clothing for that theme.

Thanks for asking for our ideas and input. :heart:
Tiff (7426240)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Jan 13, 2009

Forum Posts: 5721
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Arman Cedric (185864839) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:16 am

I pretty much agree with most people in here :thumbsup:
-Would love to enter on themes that doesn't only revolve around holidays.
-Would love if the real Full Outfit (with Face and Hair) stays.
-Limit the entries one person could enter (example: 2 Fits per gender) to minimize spamming.
-Only require backviews and variants when an entry wins.
-Expand the Item Limit on Full Outfits (maybe 20-25)
-Always seperate Artisans,Innovator and Apprentices from each other.
-Share voting/poll results?
-If possible put the DC voting on the polls section in the game.
-To continue treating everyone equally and fairly. meaning, not restricting someone from participating again just because they already won the last contest. Base it on the art they produce not on their names and who they are-
-Anonimity upon voting would be cool!
-To give designers a chance to see their designs prior to the release day so they could point the errors out before they go out in the game.
-Continue putting Qualifying Entries straight to the finalists.
-Upon releasing a winning Full Outfit entry, Release all (Hair,Face,Outfit) at the same day.
:rose:
Arman Cedric (185864839)
YoWorld Level: 259
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 11, 2014

Forum Posts: 4720
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Katherine (121079165) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 am

PLEASE give us one new theme for both Christmas and Halloween! A complete, well made theme! (At least one!) Design contests too, yes! But at least for those two holidays give us something new also! Yes, open the vault! But give us something new to play with too! Let us have input for the themes like with Realm of Shadows!

:eh: :idea: Why not have a "Smart Home" design contest? Have people design modern decor items for a modern home, as well as Yo versions of modern home gadgets? How about a "Modern Minimalism" contest with furniture and some decor entries? Minimalism is BIG right now! How about a Contempo decor contest? Why stick to only clothing? Why not include decorators too? Would that be even possible? I hope so! :rose:

https://apps.facebook.com/playyoworld/?d=h82268478
BLM! Rodney King, Amadou Diallo, Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, Keith Lamont Scott, Alton Sterling, Stephon Clark, Freddie Gray, Breona Taylor, George Floyd! Those are just the ones I can name!

Katherine (121079165)
YoWorld Level: 297
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 11, 2009

Forum Posts: 4581

Postby random (120212553) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Agree with much that I've read here. I only want to add a couple of things.

I agree that its a pain to draw the back view of an outfit. The problem here is that many people buy or reject an outfit because of something different on the back. If the back is going to be simple then its no problem. But if the back will add something different then that needs to be known. Maybe just a description could be included.

And, two, I was thinking maybe a BVG design pick would be nice, especially for the hand drawn items. There were several hand drawn designs that I thought might be great to interpret but never got the chance.
“I don't fancy colors of the face, I'm always attracted to colors of the brain.”
― Michael Bassey Johnson

random (120212553)
YoWorld Level: 319
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 07, 2009

Forum Posts: 157
Forum Title: YoApprentice
Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning

Postby Pierre A (187421515) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Wondering when the next contest is. I can't wait to see which suggestions will be taken into consideration, if any :hug:

Pierre A (187421515)
YoWorld Level: 151
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 16, 2017

Forum Posts: 518

Postby Rivka (126305168) » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I think theres a balance in rules to make sure you don't restrict creativity without inadvertently promoting spam entries.

Limiting entries PER category sounds good. Alternatively, give an overall total to the number of allowed entries per person and let designers decide which catagories they use their entries for: full outfits, hairs, face cases, a combo of things, whatever.

While I think it's reasonable to restrict the number of entries (as it actually works in the best interest of designers to consolidate and make sure what they submit is more about quality, not spamming), I'm highly against restricting designers to just one finalist entry... If a designer was particularly inspired by a contest and did an amazing job on multiple entries, they shouldn't be penalized by the restriction of just one finalist entry allowed. Like... why even submit all that amazing art if only ONE could potentially make it to finalists, and for that matter, how would you pick which ONE entry to accept as finalist if they all meet the requirements and rules? Doesn't sound very conducive to creativity or even feasible to implement without placing incredible entry restrictions (one per person per catagory), although you could allow popular vote to determine the finalists in a dual-vote system, but then you risk hearing accusations that it's turning into "a popularity contest". Such restrictions would also inhibit people who prefer to design for particular catagories (some like making hairs, many like designing HHs, etc and it would suck if they could only do ONE).

On that note, keeping designer names off the ballots is one effective way to help reduce DCs from turning into popularity contests.
I will say, though, having witnessed Zynga days, I feel confident in saying I do not see that happening here now. I think y'all have done a great job keeping things fair and preventing the contest from becoming purely about popularity. Continue to allow designers to give their designs a name and let their designs be voted on by DESIGN name, not DESIGNER name.
Don't get me wrong, popularity isn't a bad thing. Most of the following these designers may have are entirely well earned and each one exhibit just as much excellent sportsmanship as they do incredible skill. But some people may be prone to vote for names, especially if they're stuck between a couple good designs. Let voters continue to pick on the basis of what they ultimately want, not swayed by designers they're particularly fond of or just selecting based on familiar names.

Waiting on submitting the back entry... I get the pain it is, BUT what if someone cannot commit the time to provide a back view after a win because of unforeseen circumstances? Either the game designers would have to make the back view (that could be disappointing) or vikings would have to forfeit the winner, which would result in disappointment after the announcement or the added nuissance in waiting longer for the announcement of winners waiting for potential winners to submit their back views. Plus, I imagine that the back view would have to be checked for compatibility just like the front view before finalists could be selected... which I'll touch on in a moment. The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of putting it off, as much as I loathe making back views for entries that likely will never wind up in game. It only makes sense to just submit it all at once... this also helps reduce excessive numbers of entries, not that it matters much if there is some degree of entry restriction in the first place.

On the topic of finalist selection... I honestly never minded the finalists being selected by the vikings. That eliminates even the remote chance that the finalists are selected based on popularity, and I'm okay with that. However, I think if you wanted to try at the allowing-all-entries-to-be-voted-on method again, it behooves you to make sure that:
1. The entries in the ballot are game-compatible and rule-compliant in the first place.
2. Find a way to showcase the entries more together so it's easier for voters to make choices. The scrolling is headache-inducing, and I know it's done because of the platform used, but it's just not user-friendly for design contest voting.

I like the different tiers of entries (artisan, innovator, etc) and we should to keep male/female entries separate so we don't wind up with winners that leave players with nothing.

I also believe that the item number for complete looks should be higher as face cases alone can consume a huge number of allowed items.

I found it both confusing and redundant to allow identical entries to be submitted multiple times broken down into catagories. But I'm not sure how I feel about that, tbh. On one hand, I love the idea (but didn't personally do it) that you could submit a complete look but also allow designers to submit those same items separated into catagories. On the other hand, it made voting incredibly difficult. I found myself wondering "I think I voted for that item/hair/outfit/etc in a complete look... didn't I? I don't want to vote for the item only if I already voted for the whole look... and if I knew I could have voted for just that component, I would have picked a different full outfit entry... but if I really want this one item, is it a waste of a vote to vote for it twice in the same contest? If it wins the full outfit catagory, I would have just wasted this catagory vote voting for the same piece". It really complicated the voting process for me. It was a love-hate. In the end it would be less confusing and frustrating to just make it so that once something is submitted, it cannot be submitted again in a different catagory. If a designer wants to submit a full outfit/look, fine... but none of those items should be available in the individual catagories. In my mind, that's borderline spamming anyhow. This would allow designers like myself to stop and seriously consider "Do I think this entire look worth keeping together OR should I just submit it as separate outfit/hair/face case/hh/etc entries so people can vote for what they like (be it the whole thing or just parts of it)?" This is why I think it would be nice to put an overall restriction on the number of entries without being catagory-specific. If I had, say, 5 entries for any catagory, I could be free to decide if I wanted to submit 5 full looks, 1 full look and various other items, or just keep everything separate... all without overloading the contest with simply too many entries.
But I'm still on the fence about that one. I know that while I drooled over the possibility of submitting the same thing repeatedly in different catagories as well as a full look (from my designer standpoint), it made voting more difficult to manage (from a voter's standpoint). And placing general entry restrictions would deter designers with multiple ideas from simply breaking all those ideas apart into a dozen different entries which would overload the contest and confuse voting, like I said.

Maybe there are things I'm not considering or seeing... this is literally just me brain vomiting my thoughts into a comment lol

I agree with moving beyond Holiday themed contests only but I DO absolutely love Holiday design contests, so I wouldn't just ditch those altogether.

In the end, I'm not abundantly particular. I don't think there's been a single design contest where I was disappointed with what wound up in game so... I just roll with whatever and have fun in the process :thumbsup:

Rivka (126305168)
YoWorld Level: 303
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 02, 2009

Forum Posts: 78
Forum Title: YoNovice

Postby vee (3630440) » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:10 pm

I think you should have a design thread open permanently for designers to post. If you use their design, they receive the item and a yocash gift. .

vee (3630440)
YoWorld Level: 288
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2008

Forum Posts: 8408
Forum Title: YoEnthusiast

Postby Pierre A (187421515) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:45 am

Can we know what's the next contest and when :sad:
Or can we start one already :haha:

Pierre A (187421515)

Postby Cam (184561840) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:47 am

Pierre A (187421515) wrote:Can we know what's the next contest and when :sad:
Or can we start one already :haha:

YES PLEASE it'll be so exciting

Cam (184561840)
YoWorld Level: 295
YoWorld Start Date: Feb 04, 2013

Forum Posts: 4911

Postby jitterbug (11632831) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:03 am

Love how they are working currently. You're doing a great job - only thing I'd say is when someone gets caught out for tracing another persons designs then they should be completely disqualified from all future contests!
jitterbug (11632831)
YoWorld Level: 282
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 15, 2009

Forum Posts: 3931
Forum Title: YoAficionado

Postby Cjw (110287477) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Valentines day "held like Xmas"
Opposite day
April Fools day
Whacky Tacky
Night Club
Cjw (110287477)
YoWorld Level: 284
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 27, 2009

Forum Posts: 336
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby IceAgeComing (154702431) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 am

Wish there was Valentines Day contest,
i could just reenter my xmas entry that looked very valetinish, haha
IceAgeComing (154702431)
YoWorld Level: 264
YoWorld Start Date: Mar 27, 2010

Forum Posts: 262
Forum Title: YoRegular

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am

i am on hiatus but valentines contest?

Pixetta (111757268)
YoWorld Level: 283
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 615

Postby Pierre A (187421515) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Pixetta (111757268) wrote:i am on hiatus but valentines contest?

Would be cute if we get an update :thumbsup:

Pierre A (187421515)

Postby Pixetta (111757268) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Pierre A (187421515) wrote:
Pixetta (111757268) wrote:i am on hiatus but valentines contest?

Would be cute if we get an update :thumbsup:

update ussssss

Pixetta (111757268)
YoWorld Level: 283
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 03, 2009

Forum Posts: 615

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions