Forums seem under utilized...

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Forums seem under utilized...

Postby xHeatCheck (130530023) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:35 am

Why is that? Is it because of the many Facebook pages/groups that already achieve (i.e., buying/selling, discussions external to the game) the goal of the forums?

The forums is a great platform to have discussions with the entire yo community and players you may not know in game, in addition to the opportunity to connect with Vikings...but it doesn't seem to resonate very well with the overall yo population. I'm curious to hear thoughts from current forum users. What are some selling points that you think will help increase traffic to the forums and why do you use the forums?

Here is my thought... I think the Vikings could be way more involved with interacting and responding to players. This will bolster customer satisfaction which is especially important given BVG's heavy reliance on long-time/loyal players.
xHeatCheck (130530023)
YoWorld Level: 165
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 22, 2009

Forum Posts: 1607
Forum Title: YoFan

Re: Forums seem under utilized...

Postby MsPhantom (129173078) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 am

I agree with your points above.

As for your comment about groups on FB in comparison to the Forums, one thing that could be done to bring more people here is to slowly "shift" the traffic from those groups and on to the forums. What I mean by this is that trading groups on FB are buzzing and constantly being updated with new photos and sales and WTB's. If people posted their sales and WTB's on the forums instead of FB than more and more people would check the forums more often and shift from FB.
MsPhantom (129173078)
YoWorld Level: 316
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10246
Forum Title: YoBeliever

Postby Anthony SpaceTime (102235402) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 am

It's been getting quieter around here too. Especially at night.
Anthony SpaceTime (102235402)
YoWorld Level: 274
YoWorld Start Date: May 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 7346
Forum Title: YoDedicated

Postby Fallen (126579776) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

The forums have ebbed and flowed over time. Just like most things in life, they fill an entertainment niche for a while and then are left behind for various reasons. Many people come here and do not feel "safe" to post because they cannot handle someone having a differing view. Some feel differing views are attacks, and in some cases they aren't too far from the truth. Sharing ideas is treacherous. It makes people crazy at times. The pursuit of being "right" sometimes becomes more important than the feelings of others. And this is where the forums descend into madness.

I would love this place to be active all the time. I love sharing ideas and learning another perspective....even when that means mine might need to be refocused. I have become a better player and a better person by learning from everyone who chooses to post. I can't make anyone come here though. The forums either work for you or they do not. This place is not for the weak of spirit, because it will grind you to powder every once in a while.

The YoStarz crew are good players and people. You guys are always welcome anywhere I am found. I hope to see more from you in here. :thumbsup:

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Fallen (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 32703
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby PinkSnowDrop (115645703) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 am

i love the forums i wish more people would come by and use them :D
Image Image
"Have courage and be kind." ♛
PinkSnowDrop (115645703)
YoWorld Level: 264
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 20, 2009

Forum Posts: 17193
Forum Title: YoFiend
Location: Writing essays, eating pringles and running after my puppy

Postby Stardust (186190305) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 am

It is social entropy in action, that's all. :)

“We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet we haven't learned to walk the Earth as brothers.”

– Martin Luther King Jr.

ImageImage

Stardust (186190305)
YoWorld Level: 398
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 08, 2015

Forum Posts: 13236
Forum Title: YoWild

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm

some of the main posters on here like Elf & Cadaver have gone thats why its so quiet on here now imo... plus i feel, and maybe others agree, that you have to always watch what you say so sometimes better to just not say what you feel and keep quiet o_o
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)
YoWorld Level: 312
YoWorld Start Date: Sep 16, 2009

Forum Posts: 10861

Postby Hesse (103418961) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I think Vikings should advertise forum more. I work at IT Support and I've noticed that people don't really observe things what they don't need at the moment. In this case "Community" tab top of the game. Later on they just automatically use features they've always used. Also: maybe "Community" tab should be renamed as "Forum".

Hesse (103418961)
YoWorld Level: 281
YoWorld Start Date: May 24, 2009

Forum Posts: 2560
Forum Title: YoLover

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Hesse (103418961) wrote:I think Vikings should advertise forum more. I work at IT Support and I've noticed that people don't really observe things what they don't need at the moment. In this case "Community" tab top of the game. Later on they just automatically use features they've always used. Also: maybe "Community" tab should be renamed as "Forum".

yes! :thumbsup:
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)

Postby Mizz Libra (136290570) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Insufficient advertising is one factor that most likely plays into it.
However there are also new posters who quit using the forum rather soon as they don't enjoy the environment,
and more established posters/players who stop posting as they don't like the change in forum environment either.
Some post about it even before going quiet.
I also run a Yo group on Facebook and on a few occasions the topic "Yo forum" came up, and some members
said they did not feel as welcomed on the forum as they did in our group for instance.
❤Click signature to visit me ❤
For contests and more check out my Yo group on Facebook: YoZodiacs

Mizz Libra (136290570)
YoWorld Level: 441
YoWorld Start Date: Nov 21, 2009

Forum Posts: 27661
Forum Title: YoManiac

Postby PinkSnowDrop (115645703) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Hesse (103418961) wrote: maybe "Community" tab should be renamed as "Forum".

yep!!
Image Image
"Have courage and be kind." ♛
PinkSnowDrop (115645703)
YoWorld Level: 264
YoWorld Start Date: Aug 20, 2009

Forum Posts: 17193
Forum Title: YoFiend
Location: Writing essays, eating pringles and running after my puppy

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Mizz Libra (136290570) wrote:Insufficient advertising is one factor that most likely plays into it.
However there are also new posters who quit using the forum rather soon as they don't enjoy the environment,
and more established posters/players who stop posting as they don't like the change in forum environment either.
I also run a Yo group on Facebook and on a few occasions the topic "Yo forum" came up, and some members
said they did not feel as welcomed on the forum as they did in our group for instance.

:thumbsup: ... it's a shame that some did not feel welcomed on the Forum :sad:
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)

Postby Hesse (103418961) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Mizz Libra (136290570) wrote:Insufficient advertising is one factor that most likely plays into it.

Your group is so nice and polite, no drama. I think we old forumers should always be nice to new ones and answer something to their posts, so they'd feel like more welcome. If they got no response they might feel like ignored. Too bad we don't have "like" feature here.

Hesse (103418961)

Postby Willow (13350872) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Theresa (122233016) wrote:some of the main posters on here like Elf & Cadaver have gone thats why its so quiet on here now imo... plus i feel, and maybe others agree, that you have to always watch what you say so sometimes better to just not say what you feel and keep quiet o_o

Yeah and it's a shame, I didn't really know either one of them real well but I loved reading what they had to say. I guess, I missed when they left and yes the forums aren't the same, in my opinion, the way things are handled, could be better, I believe in chances and I wish I could say more about it but I don't want to get myself into hot water :angel:
On the pontoon
Makin' waves and catchin' rays up on the roof
Jumpin' out the back, don't act like you don't want to
Party in slow motion
Out here in the open
Mm, motorboatin'
Willow (13350872)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 13812

Postby Koats (185046372) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Willow (13350872) wrote:
Theresa (122233016) wrote:some of the main posters on here like Elf & Cadaver have gone thats why its so quiet on here now imo... plus i feel, and maybe others agree, that you have to always watch what you say so sometimes better to just not say what you feel and keep quiet o_o

Yeah and it's a shame, I didn't really know either one of them real well but I loved reading what they had to say. I guess, I missed when they left and yes the forums aren't the same, in my opinion, the way things are handled, could be better, I believe in chances and I wish I could say more about it but I don't want to get myself into hot water :angel:

:thumbsup: and there lies one of the biggest reasons the forums has become like the Sahara Desert :hug:
Koats (185046372)
YoWorld Level: 350
YoWorld Start Date: May 18, 2013

Forum Posts: 5939
Forum Title: YoDedicated
Location: ' Keep your head when all about you are losing theirs'

Postby ijOjO uK (109723058) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Hesse (103418961) wrote: maybe "Community" tab should be renamed as "Forum".

This is a great idea!! It would definitely bring more awareness in game to the Forums, which can only be a good thing.

I was thinking about the OP and wondering what was so different now compared to back in the *good ole days* when the forums were jam-packed with players. Obvious thing is that player numbers are nothing like they used to be firstly. The other significant difference is the growth circa 2014, of various social media platforms. Before, we all mainly used Facebook as a means of getting into the game and didn't want to interact, exclusively, there about the game. So the Forums gave us an outlet to engage with each other outside FB.

Now, however, when I join a party or meet some new players, what is being exchanged is not the usual "let me add you on FB" but 'what's your SC (snapchat)', 'what's your handle on iG' (Instagram), 'follow me on twitter', 'You got Vero?'; 'join our WA group (WhatsApp) and 'what's your Discord name'. :haha: There are so many other ways players communicate outside of FB (which to some feels outdated anyway) that the forums must feel like some old fashioned communicator tool lol.

Have a search on Instagram for Yoworld and you'd be surprised ( well I was) on how many players actually use that platform for trading and general chitchat.

Just like AOL, Yahoo Messenger before, older platforms are slowly becoming less appealing compared to the more newer forms of communicating.

And of course what I cant dismiss, is that some players have chosen not to or lost the ability to use the forums if they wanted to. This also impacts on the utilisation of the forums.

Well that's my own opinion.
....................................................."Thinking is the hardest work there is,
...........................................Which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

ijOjO uK (109723058)
YoWorld Level: 324
YoWorld Start Date: Jul 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 10576

Postby Fallen (126579776) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Following the rules is a troublesome thing at times. Our emotions sometimes push the edges of what we post until we cross the line that BVG must enforce. I have seen dozens of forumers get agitated over time (myself included), and then get pulled into an emotional rant that ended very ugly.

I'm trying to not talk modding here, so I will end that discussion right there. But I want to stick with your comment about "watching what we say". I think we should always watch what we say. Some call that censorship. Some call it unfair or biased. Some wonder where is the freedom of speech. Do we really have the right to say anything we'd like to say any way we want to say it? Really? No one does in almost any arena because we are selfish, rude, and crude people when we are upset. And I know this because I am first in that line. No one wants to see me post unfiltered and without my rational brain stepping in front of my words. This place would burn to the ground if we allowed me or anyone else to do that. Accordingly, we have some boundaries that all boil down to - be nice.

So if people don't want to be a part of a forum where there is a rule to "be nice", I don't blame them for staying away. Because we all do have to watch what we say and how we say it in here. It is a matter of being civil.

I hope this makes sense? If you ever want to venture away from these forums and try one out that isn't modded or has no rules, there you can see what internet humanity unchecked turns into. We'd never have any decent discussions and everyone would quit the game and try to kill each other. Because human beings are disgusting, angry, hurtful, spiteful, and mean when they feel there are no consequences. And they do it for FUN everywhere there are no rules.

:angel: :thumbsup:

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Fallen (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 254
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 32703
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Hesse (103418961) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm

To me for being nice for NEW forumers is that we notice them and let them know it. We should reply something, not ignore them.
But also, what would be the post amount where we could say what we really think about their posts :haha:

Hesse (103418961)

Postby Theresa (122233016) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hesse (103418961) wrote:

Your group is so nice and polite, no drama. I think we old forumers should always be nice to new ones and answer something to their posts, so they'd feel like more welcome. If they got no response they might feel like ignored. Too bad we don't have "like" feature here.

i agree! i do mostly see people being nice and always say 'welcome to the forums' to newbies. i never like to see a thread with '0' replies whether its someone i know or not. i will make a point of commenting even if its asking something i don't know. it doesn't take 5 seconds to say 'sorry im not sure, but hopefully someone will know' :D
ImageImage

Theresa (122233016)

Postby Willow (13350872) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Koats (185046372) wrote:
Willow (13350872) wrote:

:thumbsup: and there lies one of the biggest reasons the forums has become like the Sahara Desert :hug:

Koats :hug: :heart: :hug:
On the pontoon
Makin' waves and catchin' rays up on the roof
Jumpin' out the back, don't act like you don't want to
Party in slow motion
Out here in the open
Mm, motorboatin'
Willow (13350872)
YoWorld Level: 263
YoWorld Start Date: Apr 09, 2009

Forum Posts: 13812