[INFO] In the name of transparency...

General discussion about YoWorld. NOW INCLUDING feedback and suggestions!

Re: [INFO] In the name of transparency...

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm

I would like to make a statement, your honor.

Your balls are as brassy as they come trying to wrestle with this demon publicly. :haha:

PS - I hope everyone reads what Jess posted very carefully. There are no accidental words up there. I will boil them all down for you - If we post something that a Viking doesn't like and it breaks a rule, the reaper may come. And while it may appear or feel unfair or inconsistent, they do their best.

:smug:

If you're arguing with a woman and she says "wow", you might want to run......
I'm street smart. Sesame Street smart.
Rod (126579776)
YoWorld Level: 248
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 04, 2009

Forum Posts: 27944
Forum Title: #1 YoFiend

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm

And let's all be grateful I am not in charge of bans..........the spines on the floor would get out of hand real quick. :haha:

Rod (126579776)

Postby Viking Jess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:I would like to make a statement, your honor.

Your balls are as brassy as they come trying to wrestle with this demon publicly. :haha:

PS - I hope everyone reads what Jess posted very carefully. There are no accidental words up there. I will boil them all down for you - If we post something that a Viking doesn't like and it breaks a rule, the reaper may come. And while it may appear or feel unfair or inconsistent, they do their best.

:smug:

Talking about it individually hasn't been helping, so here I am (anxiously) doing what I can to help improve trust :haha:

You're juuuust nearly spot on with the boiling down PS. It's less about what we don't like per se (since I'm sure someone could take umbridge with those particular words), and more about what best allows for a flow of constructive feedback that helps us do what these forums were intended for - make YoWorld better with YoFan input. We can't rightly say we care about Community Engagement if we allow people to make others feel unwelcome on our main platform for feedback :thumbsup:

Viking Jess
YoWorld Level: 288

Forum Posts: 9965
Forum Title: YoWorld Community Manager

Postby Jester (187649661) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:12 pm

So many other forums I've been a member on have employed non-staff moderators, it's actually great because it reduces RoC breaking almost completely, especially when all mods are in different time zones. I fail to see why you don't do the same, you could always set up new accounts for the moderators so no one knows who they truly are except for BVG themselves and if there's any issue whatsoever with the moderator then BVG can just act upon the player moderator. Maybe limit their actions to just locking threads, editing and deleting posts to keep the place tidy whilst BVG is away?
Last edited by Jester (187649661) on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester (187649661)
YoWorld Level: 38
YoWorld Start Date: Jun 07, 2018

Forum Posts: 520
Forum Title: YoSupporter

Postby Leeum (130695460) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm

My final question - I promise!

Why do some players have different forum titles (i.e. personalised) than others? :shocked:
Theme Codes | How to: Remove FB Sidebar
ImageImageImage
❥Somer ❥mauiencar
Leeum (130695460)
YoWorld Level: 307
YoWorld Start Date: Oct 23, 2009

Forum Posts: 20685
Forum Title: YoCrazy

Postby Leeum (130695460) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Jester (187649661) wrote:So many other forums I've been a member on have employed non-staff moderators, it's actually great because it reduces RoC breaking almost completely, especially when all mods are in different time zones. I fail to see why you don't do the same, you could always set up new accounts for the moderators so no one knows who they truly are except for BVG themselves and if there's any issue whatsoever with the moderator then BVG can just act upon the player moderator. Maybe limit their actions to just locking threads, editing and deleting posts to keep the place tidy whilst BVG is away?

Yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice to see you back, by the way! :hug:
ImageImageImage
❥Somer ❥mauiencar
Leeum (130695460)

Postby Jester (187649661) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Leeum (130695460) wrote:My final question - I promise!

Why do some players have different forum titles (i.e. personalised) than others? :shocked:

I noticed that as well, on one player in particular. Lucky him :haha:
Jester (187649661)

Postby Jester (187649661) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Leeum (130695460) wrote:
Jester (187649661) wrote:So many other forums I've been a member on have employed non-staff moderators, it's actually great because it reduces RoC breaking almost completely, especially when all mods are in different time zones. I fail to see why you don't do the same, you could always set up new accounts for the moderators so no one knows who they truly are except for BVG themselves and if there's any issue whatsoever with the moderator then BVG can just act upon the player moderator. Maybe limit their actions to just locking threads, editing and deleting posts to keep the place tidy whilst BVG is away?

Yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice to see you back, by the way! :hug:

Thank you Leeum. :hug:
Jester (187649661)

Postby Pigeonlips (139291280) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Love this thread idea :)

Pigeonlips (139291280)
YoWorld Level: 208
YoWorld Start Date: Dec 08, 2009

Forum Posts: 4503
Forum Title: YoGroupie

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Mine was permanently changed when I saw that mine had become "YoFiend" and made a comment that I wished I could be the #1 YoFiend forever. Careful what you wish for. LOL

Rod (126579776)

Postby Pigeonlips (139291280) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 pm

I like this idea. Of course you would have to pick the right person which could be hard :dizzy: Might start more problems

Pigeonlips (139291280)

Postby Pigeonlips (139291280) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Rod (126579776) wrote:

Mine was permanently changed when I saw that mine had become "YoFiend" and made a comment that I wished I could be the #1 YoFiend forever. Careful what you wish for. LOL

I'd be interested to see what they would set for mine and a few others :haha:

Pigeonlips (139291280)

Postby Leeum (130695460) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Pigeonlips (139291280) wrote:
Rod (126579776) wrote:

I'd be interested to see what they would set for mine and a few others :haha:

:haha:

If mine isn't #1 Corgi Lover by the end of the day there'll be uproar :love:

I'm kidding, of course. :angel:
ImageImageImage
❥Somer ❥mauiencar
Leeum (130695460)

Postby Viking Jess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Player moderators - both here and in-game - as an idea have been tossed back and forth around the office for literal years... Originally, we avoided it because this community has had several years of history together, to which we weren't privy (and honestly, that's still a large part of what I'd be apprehensive of it now). Then it was because we'd have to build an entirely new system to enable it - there's actually a specifications document somewhere that outlines how we might be able to make that a reality. Throughout it all, we've been accused of playing favourites, and while that truthfully isn't a reason why we wouldn't employ non-Viking moderators, it's certainly a reason why we might stop to think about it. So when you get to the present, it's a culmination of all of the above - plus we've got that pesky Flash deadline looming, so any time away from that better have a pretty darned good reason.

That's not at all to mean that it won't ever happen... But for right now, we're trying to rely on YoFans being able to navigate conflict as adults, and stopping in whereever we might have a spare moment.

Viking Jess

Postby Jester (187649661) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I like this idea. Of course you would have to pick the right person which could be hard :dizzy: Might start more problems

Well BVG could always run a probation period for the first month of those recruited to see how they go, you know, having to hit certain quotas in addition to proving that they have an understanding of what they're actually enforcing and if BVG don't think they're doing what they're supposed to be doing (i.e. ganging up, locking/deleting/editing unnecessary) then BVG can just remove their permissions and prohibit them from becoming a volunteer moderator again.
Last edited by Jester (187649661) on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jester (187649661)

Postby Viking Jess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm

It was honestly just a bit of fun. I can't remember which happened first, but we changed some titles as jokes, and others as a reward for good deeds. We don't have very many of these, but I'd like to see more of them happen!

Viking Jess

Postby Rod (126579776) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Liam - You ask great questions when you aren't posting emotionally. :thumbsup:

Rod (126579776)

Postby Leeum (130695460) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Viking Jess wrote:

It was honestly just a bit of fun. I can't remember which happened first, but we changed some titles as jokes, and others as a reward for good deeds. We don't have very many of these, but I'd like to see more of them happen!

Please see my idea outline earlier for some inspiration :love:

I'm kidding :angel: Thanks for your answer :)
ImageImageImage
❥Somer ❥mauiencar
Leeum (130695460)

Postby Viking Jess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Jester (187649661) wrote:

Well BVG could always run a probation period for the first month of those recruited to see how they go, you know, having to hit certain quotas in addition to proving that they have an understanding of what they're actually enforcing and if BVG don't think they're doing what they're supposed to be doing (i.e. ganging up, locking/deleting/editing unnecessary) then BVG can just remove their permissions and prohibit them from becoming a volunteer moderator again.

If we had the resources to cover this (and I'm sure there's a hazy someday when we will), I'd be all for it. It's a great idea, it's just quite a lot of work in practice.

Viking Jess

Postby Jester (187649661) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Viking Jess wrote:

It's been tossed back and forth around the office for literal years... Originally, we avoided it because this community has had several years of history together, to which we weren't privy (and honestly, that's still a large part of what I'd be apprehensive of it now). Then it was because we'd have to build an entirely new system to enable it - there's actually a specifications document somewhere that outlines how we might be able to make that a reality. Throughout it all, we've been accused of playing favourites, and while that truthfully isn't a reason why we wouldn't employ non-Viking moderators, it's certainly a reason why we might stop to think about it. So when you get to the present, it's a culmination of all of the above - plus we've got that pesky Flash deadline looming, so any time away from that better have a pretty darned good reason.

That's not at all to mean that it won't ever happen... But for right now, we're trying to rely on YoFans being able to navigate conflict as adults, and stopping in whereever we might have a spare moment.

Have you ever considered public forum applications where forum members can also vote here on the forum? That way you cannot be accused of favouritism if it is the players who chose. Give the moderators a contract of 3 months or something and once that contract is up they'll have to re-apply directly to BVG instead of the forums, if they did a good job and their record proves that then extend their contract another 3 months, if not, drop them and recruit a new moderator. Keep in mind that this way players don't know which moderator is who (remember my first post about this) and it gives more players who didn't qualify (say your limit is 10 people) a chance to run in the future.
Jester (187649661)

PreviousNext

Return to YoWorld Discussions